Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums

I manage and run a full service maintenance and repair shop. Ask me anything...

What jobs do you refuse to do?

If I told you I wanted a turbo but instead of drilling out a new oil passageway I wanted a separate oil reservoir with an electronic pump hooked up to the ignition would you do it?

do you have any pics of crazy shit that has come in

Ones that I know have other issues.
Older cars that are falling apart and have shit customers driving then.

Also jobs that are not worth my time
"I have my own parts, how much to put them on?"
Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

Lol sure, can you sign this waiver first?

thats a terrible idea because if your electric pump goes out so does your turbo
drilling isnt your only option
you can tap the oil pressure sensor and have that line go to your feed of the turbo
>pic related
you can also get a sandwhich plate inbetween your oil filter and have that go to the feed
do more research

On my computer at home, sorry. posting from cell

Exactly, sign the dumbass customer waiver.

>Also jobs that are not worth my time
"I have my own parts, how much to put them on?"
Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

This seems dumb, understandably some people want a specific part or don't trust you not to cut corners and buy the cheaper alternative but don't have the mechanical skill or facilities/tools to do the job themselves

>Also jobs that are not worth my time
this is why i work on semis
when shit breaks theres no excuses they have to be fixed because thats how they make their money
also i make a lot more money than an auto mechanic

Honestly most people don't know shit about their cars. It depends on the day, if we're really slow that day I may take something in just to get something in the till. If we're wide open busy with big money jobs I shoo them off

>Like...dude...do you buy a steak at the grocery store and bring it to the restaurant and ask the cook to cook it for you?

Not everyone knows how wrench and they are willing to pay for the service. Also that's a pretty dumb comparison.

Diesels and big trucks are a whole other animal. There's good money in it if you're good. But you're right, you got em by the balls

Not really, I make money of goods and services, much like a restaurant. You're essentially asking me to sell you the same amount of my technicians time and I'm not getting as much for it.

And also understandably shops understand that aftermarket parts are poor quality/fit 90% of the time and installing them isn't worth the risk of having problems you now have to fix for free later

It's a perfect comparison.

Yeah I don't warranty customer supplied parts at all.

how much do you pay your workers an hours
conversely; how much do you charge a customer an hour

Hood techs are on hourly, about $8/hr plus commission. Techs get about $10-18 per hour depending on skill. They get commission off mechanical jobs they complete.

What's the worst customer/car you've come across?

What's your favorite car you regularly work on?

What's your LEAST favorite car you regularly work on?

What do you drive?

What jobs do you refer to the dealership?

Never heard of a setup like this, are you outside the US?

sounds shitty

I hate doing work on old busted pieces of shit with multiple issues. We fix one thing and people assume "something we did" caused another problem.
Yeah 25 years old with 300k on it and I'm the reason your motor blew up.

Favorite vehicles would have to be Chevy trucks. Reliable, easy to fix, parts are cheap, usually driven by reasonable men.

No, but we're not a dealership.

Meh, I paid my dues, worked hard, and after 10 years in the industry I got my own shop. They gotta start somewhere, especially if they don't know shit yet.

Heavy electrical diagnosis, and warranty work that is too expensive for them to pay for.

I've worked at a few indies and it's either pure flat rate/customer pay or hourly, never heard of a hybrid hourly+commission per job, I've been on hourly with a bonus if I reach a certain amount of work hours though. Why do you do it like this? What if the tech is doing a NVH diagnosis for 2 hours for example, does he get a certain commission for this or does he just get hourly? Seems like it would get convoluted.

Because my techs are not on flag hours and I still have to incentivize them. Want more money? Get more done.

> aftermarket parts are poor quality/fit 90% of the time

Why is America so shit?

Diags are a flat fee. Weather it takes him 2 hours or 30 mins, it's 59.99 to figure out why your hoopdie won't stay running.

This isn't usually the case. Aftermarket support is actually pretty good. People just usually buy the wrong shit

how much to do rear pads and rotors on my 64 e type?

$599 plus tax

You sure you wouldn't like us to do a proper inspection first? In fact, I'm not even 100% sure that it's not drums in the rear.

do you treat your employees with respect or are you a asshole to them? be honest.

how would you say you run the business?

what do you think your employees think about you?

do you give employment opportunity to rookie mechanics or do you only hire people with experience?

the reason i ask this is because i just got fired from a small shop i only did 2 weeks in. the boss/owner is a ASSHOLE he is full of pride because he owns the place. he runs the place like shit and says other people are the problem. i worked at a dealership for 4yrs and small shops run totally different. this place was so disorganized compared to a dealership. i left my dealership job because a new owner came and got rid of all the old people to bring in his own.

I run a pretty tight ship. I have high expectations for myself and the guys that work for me. We have a job to do and a standard to maintain, and I don't hide my expectations.

That being said, as a leader it is much more beneficial to have them respect me as a man as well as a boss. If they just respect the position they'll do what you tell them but talk shit about you behind your back. If they also respect the man, they'll go the extra mile and want to impress you.

I treat them all with respect, even when I'm chewing their asses when they fuck up. I treat them with respect because they must also show respect, and I try to lead by example.

As far as the newbies, if they show up ready, eager, and hungry to learn I can teach them. If they're just there to be a warm body and get a paycheck then they don't last too long.

whats the shop rate then? why can you not make a profit off that fee?

You sound like a faggot lmao

Like nigga you run a garage calm down hahaha

That's....pretty fucking low.

would you hire me? you sound pretty cool. respect is a big deal for me at a job. i hate dealing with disrespectful people, it just makes a job harder. i had respect for my last boss compared to the previous one before him. but the other boss (dayshift) wanted me out(there were 2 service managers, one for day and other for night). even tho i worked at a dealer for 4yrs i know my common sense stuff. they never let me move up. why let me do something when they have someone else who can do it quicker. i still want to be a mechanic even tho it spit in my face twice already. every time i see my tools stored in my closet it breaks my heart. pic related my resume

what do you do for a living fuckboy

>I manage to service a full run of repairmen on a daily basis. Ask me anything.

Do you have AIDS yet?

can i use an adjustable wrench to change out my engine oil?

if you have a big one

nah just messing with you. you have to drop the entire rear subframe cage to do that. inboard brakes and all.

I'm a specialty mechanic and mildly autistic and always wondered what someone would charge me for it without looking at.
I wouldn't do it for under a grand. you ballsy fuck

That sounds like a great idea, make sure it bites into the metal and crimps it for a super good grip.

:^)

I'm not OP, but I think your resume formatting is shit.

Also, are you telling me you got a bachelor's degree from a high school?

Make a slick looking resume, that looks like a high school book report. Just transfer your info over to a nice template. Put a few qualifications that aren't just on paper, for example from my resume
· Understanding systems
as a whole and being
able to diagnose from
a logical standpoint

· Able to develop creative
solutions on cars that demand unique or new
methods of repair

I try to put in things like that so they can ask questions in the interview that you can elaborate on and give some examples of how you did a tough diag or found out a big moneysaver.

He must be in a rural area. I made more than $18/hr fresh off the boat when I was 18, and that was a long time ago when buying power was a higher

You don't take your career seriously?

what do you mean? all i got was my HS diploma. my school also taught us a trade too.

Veeky Forums helped me with it but ok i'll revisit

Truth be told I can probably source those parts fairly easily, and cheaply. It's ancient technology man, the type of shit old guys talk about when they're talking about how easy it was to work on cars "in their day"

You can, but it's not the best idea. Considering an oil change is something you'll do on a regular basis for your car, just go to Home Depot and buy a cheap husky Combination Wrench for your Drain Plug.

I'd give you a 2 day work study to see what you're made of, if you're as good as your resume says you are, we could sit down and talk about opportunities

It says Major: Automotive technology

When you say you're majored in something it means you got a bachelor's degree, as in an undergraduate 4 year degree from a university. You should probably say you had a focus in automotive technology or a concentration or something like that

how do i find out which size i need? its a 2008 ford escape xlt v6

How often do hot cuties try to exchange sex for auto repair? And do you oblige?

As much as I agree with what you're saying about putting together a resume, all a resume gets you is a conversation with me. I have never hired somebody after just looking at their resume.

There are things I look for in a potential hire that most people fail to mention, intentionally or not, in their resumes. I need to talk to someone and see what their about before I hire them.

Veeky Forums know about as much about getting a job as Veeky Forums does about cars, next to nothing. I'd just give you my resume but don't want to spend the time redacting it. Here's an example of what you can aim for, just pirate illustrator. Remember when you interview typically they will read off your cover letter and resume and ask questions, use that in your resume so you can answer questions in a way that gives them a good idea of your competence. I go WAY more in depth in mine about the details of my previous jobs.

Kek

You buy a fucking multi wrench/socket set like any other amateur mechanic and use the one that fits.

Lol believe it or not black women flirt with me the most. I'm a tall attractive white dude, and I'm the boss, maybe it's a slavery flashback fetish or something.

I've definitely been offered sex to fix girls cars, but it always happened at a bar or something when I'd tell them what I do. Never took them up on it though.

B8d m8

Sometimes it's OK, sometimes not. I've had a customer supply a clutch they got off eBay for their pulsar. Pull the gearbox out, clutch is wrong. Now car is stuck on the hoist until we get the right clutch. Pain in the ass.

Also, people can't expect the mechanic to warrant a part they haven't supplied, if it fails, the customer pays the labour again, where as if the mechanic had supplied the part, parts and labour are both free.

Holy fuck. What 3rd world are you in? What would the average take home pay be a week for them?

You're missing the commission part. An ace technician, with the right sales and operations support can make 150k per year.

Yep, gotta think about it from both sides of the desk. Avoiding mines and generally bad situations is like...40% of what I do some days.

I think my 2002 dodge neon stock cd player is overheating and that's why store bought cds and burnt cds stop playing after about 10-20 minutes what can you do to make this right

Drive the car off a cliff.

with him in it

I'm not even convinced you actually own a shop, you haven't said anything that's not pretty much standard mechanic complaining bullshit i've heard and read again and again.

You manage and run? Are you a service writer with his panties in a twist pretending you turn wrenches on Veeky Forums or what?

How often do vehicles come in with wheels having fallen off due to improperly torqued nuts and how often do employees torque the lug nuts incorrectly?

eh mechanics where I live in Australia make like ~$18/h, maybe up to like ~$25 depending on where at. Thats about the same as what he described.

I don't own it, I'm the shop manager.
Not that I care weather you believe me or not. I turned wrenches for 8 years before getting into management. What do you do?

Well I'm on slightly over $30 in aus and I'm in a city renowned for crap pay.

Not very often desu, but it does happen. My guys are all well tenured in the industry, if it does happen they just fix it and don't get me involved, which is what I prefer.

Don't tell my techs that lol.

>Hood techs
>$8/hr
>that gramur
I just got my first job at a jiffy lube AMA

I know you're just being a faggot, but all faggotry aside jiffy lube was my first job in the industry when I was 18. It's a decent place to learn the basics of how a shop operates and how to work in a team setting.

I may be a faggot, but I'm a real tech and I'm not buying this at all.

What's the timesaver cheat for doing Chrysler 3.7 timing belts? how do you get the rods off of a Subaru crank? If a car had bad injectors, you replaced them but 1 or more still isn't working what is the diag procedure?

Never done a timing belt on a 3.7 so I don't know. Nor have I ever taken a Subaru motor apart before. Tell me first why you think your car has a bad injector, is the car sputtering or knocking when you accelerate?

I'm not the person doubting you, but a customer isn't going to come to you telling you their engine is pinging lmao.
Of course it's fucking sputtering - why else would someone bring it in?

People bring in their cars with hundreds of different complaints actually. Anything from drivability issues to "I have no brake pedal"

>If a car had bad injectors, you replaced them but 1 or more still isn't working what is the diag procedure?

I'd call you a faggot for replacing all the injectors without diagnosing it in the first place.

How well would it serve my needs to discuss parts with a mechanic? My clutch is broken and l want a new one, preferably not stock anymore. Are you gonna advice me on what makes the most sense or what has the best markup in this case?

Don't jimmy around the statement I made. Nobody is going to bring you their car saying it's pinging/knocking. Car enthusiasts themselves who know what that is have a hard time enough trying to listen for it let alone know what the faint noise sounds like.

I'll probably manage to do both in the same conversation.

So what's your point? You said why else would somebody bring their car in? I said there are many reasons people bring their cars in.

you asked a vague, generalized question, you got a vague, generalized answer.

be more specific.

I guess he left..

what's your opinion on flat-rate payment for techs? rather curious.

so you manage a full service shop, and worked as a tech for 8 years in the us and have never done the timing belt on a common v6 that was in production from 2002-2012?

I'm not the op, I'm and I can't say that I have done a 3.7 Chrysler, I've done the ones in the Dodge Journey where you have to do a cam crank relearn after, no idea which motor that is lol. And if you were 100% sure it was the injectors, like 100000% sure eliminated all the variables I'd check to see if the injectors you got are good. If you aren't 100% positive that's it's not the problem why did you change them all in the first place?

>Why is America so shit?
Because they bought aftermarket parts made in China. A huge number of replacement parts are also counterfeited in China and that includes even the trademarked name/logo on the parts.

And because most americans would rather buy cheap parts instead of those made in the USA, the companies go out of business. Ironically (and unhappily) the original usa company is sometimes then bought up by the chinese pirates (that put that company out of business to begin with) to gain legal control of the trademark and firm up distribution into the usa parts distribution network.

Can I put in a quart of fresh oil in my car that needs an oil change soon (300 miles over 3k) so that it can hold out until next week.

I just really don't want to leave the house today. I'll prob put on like 2-3hundred miles until the next chance to change oil

Whooptee fucking doo, everything in Australia costs three times what it does in the United States as well.

nigga modern oil on recent model cars is good for like 7k

Nah my car eats oil or something

If you burn oil fast enough just keep filling it up, no point in changing it ever now.