How does Veeky Forums clean the inside of their car windows...

How does Veeky Forums clean the inside of their car windows? I have a ford fusion and its hard to reach the window and it just smears and looks terrible

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OKHHpne9NdM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Cleaning your windows

O i am laffin

I just wipe it with a cloth when it is wet and then blast it full on with ac air.

Not op but I'll speak for him. You're a retard. Are you seriously implying windows don't get dirty? You stick shit to them, you're bound to touch them at some point in life, and over time dirt and debris can accumulate.

microfiber cloth, I always keep one in my door thingy

flash wipes

>ford
Use fire please

Water, ammonia and newspaper

The air conditioning enough causes dirt marks

Use tongue

Maybe if you weren't a dirty FUCK you wouldn't need to clean your windows.

Disgusting amerifat.

>ford GT beats GM & ferrari
>gets weighed down
Repeat infinitely

>ammonia

Works wonders

Glass cleaner and a coffee filter, won't leave a smear.

Also here's a protip: If your front defrosters ever stop working, you can wipe on and off shaving cream inside the windshield to prevent frosting for a couple hours.

use this is you want tons of streaks

otherwise isopropyl alcohol and a fine fiber cloth

>Glass cleaner and a coffee filter, won't leave a smear.
I use glass cleaner with a mf cloth, then go over with a coffee filter. Works great

Pic related

>90% isopropyl alcohol to break down oils/grease/grime.
>wipe
>stoned glass cleaner
>wipe with coffee filter or microfiber.
Tadah.

Clean with soapy water on a kitchen sponge.
Then wipe with damp claf skin.

soap.

Basic fucking soap.

Windex and a cloth like any non-autistic person

>I have a ford fusion and its hard to reach the window

It is easy for me to reach the window. But I am thin so I can even reach right up and thump my elbow on the windshield.

Tools:
a. spray cleaner such as windex
b. reasonable quality paper towels
c. microfiber

Wash your grimy greasy hands. Dirty hands is one of the big mistakes people make which makes a window cleaning job take longer.

Fold paper towel in quarters. Lightly spray one side. That will face your hand. Spray gently at the top of the windshield but not too heavy so it runs down. Wipe in circular motion and the grease should come off. If you have so much grime on the windows, then unfold the paper towel to a clean spot and continue wiping.

Notice that because you sprayed that one side before you started wiping, the paper towel doesn't slide around in your hand. As you said, you have problems reaching, so I tailored the advice for that. Other people might not need to do that pre-spray to create friction with the hand when trying to overreach the windshield.

Wipe the rear windshield clean. Be careful of the antenna and heat connectors at the edges. If the window is tinted, do not use any cleaner with ammonia in it. There are cleaners that are marked safe for tinted windows. I am able to use one single sheet of Bounty paper towel for both front and rear windshields in my car.

Tinted windows can be cleaned solely with microfiber as it sucks off the grime without scratching. But you'll use a lot of the MF cloths if you don't clean the grease off with a paper towel and water.

After you mostly clean the front windshield with the paper towel, use the microfiber to suck off all the greasy marks remaining on the windshield. There you go. Clean.

Remember, wash your hands. Or your hand oils will clog up the microfiber and "use it all up" so that it no longer cleans good. If the microfiber is all clogged up with grime, use another.

Diet.

*continued*

If you have tinted windows, don't rub the edges of the tint at right angles. That might start to pull the tint off the window. Always use parallel strokes to the edge of the tint.

Some paper towels suck at cleaning because they are full of recycled fibers which are short and thus need a lot of binder filler. But they are cheaper to make. Paper towels that have a lot of fresh new long lignin fibers tend to be strong and have good cleaning ability. Bounty is a classic example of a product that is virgin fiber. Of course that makes it expensive.

A good alternate is the Sam's Club "Members Mark" brand paper towels. They have a lot of virgin fiber and are quite similar to Bounty but at a lot cheaper price.

When done cleaning the window, don't throw the used paper towel away. Use it to gently wipe the front of your headlights. Don't scratch the plastic, so spray some windex on the headlight cover first.

I like to get every bit of use out of a paper towel before I throw it away.

Here, have an Attack on Titan cleaning kit. It works on windows as seen in the anime when they were cleaning.

It would be sad after all that typing that the OP impatiently abandoned the thread and never came back to read it. But that happens a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=OKHHpne9NdM

IG Reach and Clean tool is totally worth it. I was always pulling out my shoulder trying to my interior windows.

I spray IG and use the glass cleaning bonnet, and then I dry buff it with the microfiber bonnet.

A bit off topic but useful (hopefully):
>driving against REALLY LOW sun
>notice how dirty the windshield is on the inside
>ask wife to search for SOMETHING to wipe it
>no tower, no napkin, nothing in the car
FML
>one of my kids notices an unused diaper on the floor
>fuck it, let's try
>wipe the windshield with the inside of the diaper
>windshield looks ok (not perfect but better)
>weeks later drive in very humid weather
>forgot to turn on the AC
>suddenly notice all the glass is fogged EXCEPT the windshield where I wiped it with the diaper
>iz niiiice!

>I have a ford fusion and its hard to reach the window and it just smears and looks terrible

What are you using to clean the window?

i worked at a car wash place once. it was not very fun

0. get shammy and glass cleaner
1. spray windows
2. make a square so you get all the glass cleaner off the edges of the window
3. horizontal zigzags for glass cleaner left on the center
4. now vertical zigzags over the whole window

streak free clean windows are left

ArmorAll wipes are pretty ok

>Ford
That's why. I haven't had to clean my windows since I bought my car last year because I don't touch them with my greasy burger hands like you OP

Microfiber cloths, change constantly.
don't do it in the sun
literally coat the window in glass cleaner(you can work sections if you want. 1/4 at a time works fine. Most people assume using less is better, I've found the opposite to be true.

OP doesn't even respond. Did he even bother reading thread updates after some of those smart aleck responses might have pissed him off? Without any patience, he misses any of the serious answers. Not all the of the serious posters sit on Veeky Forums to instantly answer every question within one hour or less. Sometimes, it can take days before such users cycle back.

glass cleaner and newspaper. anything that won't leave streaks. works great. I recommend rainx-ing the windshield too while you're at it. i literally didn't need my wipers at all this winter, it ran off so fast.

Rain X glass cleaner. Two coats outside, one coat inside. Also has Rain X repellent.

Use a special glass cleaner cloth.

RainX on my exterior glass becomes streaky when it begins to wear off in spots. The problem is that it is worse than if I had no RainX at all since it is a blurry spot of streaky water.

Because of that, I removed all the RainX on the window by stripping it with windex first. Wiping dry. Then spraying the petrochemical detailer spray and wiping that off. Then using windex one more time to remove the residue from the detailer spray.

I like rainx on all my windows just not the windshield. Too distracting. Works well in winter too prevent ice sticking.

Use that invisible glass shit and a paper towel. It's not that hard to reach quit bitching

water and an old tshirt. Anything cotton has worked best for me.

I did it in sun which is probably why it looked like shit

>cotton
Nigger what are you doing, you're supposed to pick it, not ruin surfaces with it. Microfiber and elbow-grease.

>water and an old tshirt.
tshirts were the old solution before microfiber (MF) appeared. Today's MF is super cheap unlike even just a few years ago. The price keeps coming down all the time to where it is a better deal than those cloth utility rags now. While the cloth 100% cotton rags (made in pakistan) are still cheaper, they don't pick up anywhere near the amount that MF does. And MF has great suction ability on oil deposits on windows without any liquid being used. In fact, I prefer using MF dry on windows.

Cotton tends to smear if dry since it doesn't have much suction ability when dry. It needs liquid to help displace the grease from the window.

As for tinted windows, microfiber doesn't scratch. Cotton is definitely less efficient than MF on tinted windows.

>water and an old tshirt. Anything cotton has worked best for me.

Cotton fabrics have highly varying abilities at cleaning windows. The rough cotton rags with the simple weave are poor at cleaning oily windows even with windex. T-shirts clean better than rags, but still can leave oily patina film. The best cotton fabric for cleaning windows and not leaving a thin oily patina is that hanes men's cotton underwear. That fabric weave seems to work much better than the tshirt weave.

Of course, the cotton loses to microfiber by a long shot. Cotton requires some cleaning liquid be sprayed on the window. Spraying cleaning liquid on the cotton and then applying the cotton to the window works less well than spraying the window with a very fine mist. Microfiber cleans without any cleaning liquid needing to be applied. It's a good oil and grease magnet.

To keep the microfiber from being plugged up by a lot of grime, it's best to clean the window first to remove most of the oils. Then wipe with the microfiber as the last thing to be done.

Using anything other than 99% isopropyl alcohol is basically like telling everyone you are a massive fucking idiot.

>use paper towels on the inside of my 2015 fusion with glass plus
>streaks, streaks everywhere
It sounds like I need to try microfiber dry and see how that turns out...

T E R R Y C L 0 T H
E
R
R
Y
C
L
T
H

Every 10 years or so I get a bad enough crack in the windshield that it needs to be replaced. Then the new one is usually pretty clean

I get oily deposits on window not from touching them, but from the air fresheners. T-shirts and windex don't clean that well for me on interior windows. There's always some oily swirl marks left over somewhere.

Microfiber works best on the inside windows. I don't even need to use liquid because the microfiber just sucks off all the oil like it was a "vacuum cleaner" sucking up dust. Very nice and no hard rubbing needed.

Terrycloth rags don't stay soft or furry long. All my terry cloths turn into cloth populated by hard nubs. Multiple terry strands wrap around each other and tangle up into tight balls. It has a very scratchy harsh feel and the amount of cloth contacting the surface is pretty small. It certainly shouldn't be used on tinted windows.

I gave up on the terrycloth rags and even threw them away. Even the regular cotton rags from pakistan were better made than those chinese terry cloth towels that pilled up.

I gave up on both terrycloth rags and cotton rags long ago. It seems the other stores have too. I often don't see terrycloth rags stucked anymore because it is so inferior. Cotton is rare too.

Microfiber has too many advantages. And it isn't scratchy like those terry or cotton rag towels.

>How does Veeky Forums clean the inside of their car windows?
I find a Furry Fan and rub him or her firmly on the windows. The grunge flies off and sticks to them like glue. I then set the poor creature free.

does this work with used diapers?

Yelling at other drivers is the main cause of smears, along with wiping condensation off them in winter.

I tried a chamois, but it didn't work so well on the windscreen. Couldn't get a good angle due to the fuckhuge screen and fuckdeep dashboard.

Until it traps any dirt at all.
Then it will scratch the fuck out of everything.

>Then it will scratch the fuck out of everything.
You use the fluffy side of the fluffy microfiber towels.

Don't use those fancy waffle-type microfiber towels marketed for auto use. They are somewhat stiff and don't have a lot of plushness to them. Those are the ones that scratch if you press down just as terrycloth cotton would scratch if you pressed down.

Those waffle weave microfiber towels are a case of "more expensive is not better". They look nicer due to the woven patterns, but in return for the nice look, they lost the soft plushness.

waffle weave microfiber towels are more for scrubbing than for drying or wiping windows

Guess what the active ingredient in glass cleaner is. Anything else (other than mostly water) is pure faggotry.

Can't believe this is the only other person rocking newspaper in here. I know print is dead but come on.

Newsprint not only has an ideal amount of grit, it also contains a waterproofing agent that gets transferred to the glass. Microfiber/coffee filters are good for your eyeglasses or your phone screen but windshields are far tougher.

>Guess what the active ingredient in glass cleaner is.

Some use just one active ingredient besides water and coloring agent. It's an alcohol with a somewhat "slippery soapy" feeling on your skin and which also makes bubbles if you shake the bottle.

Using it wrong if you're getting streaks. I swear by that shit and buy by the caseload.

>Newsprint not only has an ideal amount of grit, it also contains a waterproofing agent that gets transferred to the glass.
I'd rather not have the black stuff transferred to the glass. And rather than polishing the glass down with atmospheric grit using elbow grease with the hard smooth newsprint paper, I'd rather use something else to remove the calcium deposits on the exterior sides of the windows.

If it's a new OEM windshield, then it's surface and curvature is probably very even and smooth. It shouldn't need burnishing from newsprint. The way human arms reach, over time, certain areas of the windshield may receive a lot more burnishing treatment than others, thus the glass in those areas is thinner.

Generic glass windshields used as replacement windshields may have imperfections with the curvature that show up only when the wipers are slightly worn out.

I noticed that my current OEM windshield is much much harder than the cheap replacement chinese windshield in my previous car. Sand and grit from those uncovered dump trucks either does nothing or barely has any pitting on my new OEM windshield. But that chinese windshield had soft (cheap) glass and would get lots and lots of deep pits that showed up in sunlight as little sparkles. It was annoying and also increased the chance of streaking during rain so that only the newest wipers wouldn't have streaking.

So there seems to be a difference in glass quality too.

I heard about newsprint back in the 1970's. So I think it was a poor man's paper towel because newsprint was used for many different purposes just like duct tape.

In modern times, newsprint fails especially since the newsprint of today has much shorter fibers and seems more "melted together" than the old newsprint where you could even see lots of individual long fibers if you tore the paper. Old newsprint also had more virgin pulp while modern newsprint has a lot of recycled paper in it.

If you have a stack of newsprint preserved in nitrogen from many decades ago, keep using it. But if you don't, a paper towel cleans pretty well. Okay, use the newsprint to wipe off the big pile of bird poop first.

>Can't believe this is the only other person rocking newspaper in here.

I use newsprint to rub off the sap droplets on the windows. That's a lot cheaper than using paper towels whose prices have drastically increased over the years. I don't apply any cleaning liquid and just let fresh newprint paper fibers drag off the sap. Since each piece of newsprint is pretty big, it can wipe off quite a bit of window square footage without smearing.

I can then do touchup on the windows with very little windex-type cleaning spray and another piece of newspaper. It all goes into the recycle bin because the little bit of tree sap is not harmful to paper recycling.

>I use newsprint to rub off the sap droplets on the windows

I just did it as suggested here. But the sap is too glue like because I let it sit 2 days. So I sprayed some detailer spray (not windex) because that stuff dissolves sap nicely due to petrochemicals and is obviously safe for the paint and wax job. I then used newspaper and that took it off. I then finished with a half-sheet of paper towel on all windows because they were pretty much clean by then. It was just to get any trace of newsprint ink off.

WHY REMOVE THE SAP? Remember, sap is big tall bumps on the window. If you ever use the windshield wiper blades, those bumps will scratch the sharp squeegee edge of the wiper blade. Enough of that and the wiper blades get those little leak trails.

So cleaning off the sap bumps is my way of saving the wiper blades from leaking. I usually never replace wiper blades more than once every 7 years for bosch blades. That means once or twice in the life of each car before I get another.

My previous damn car wouldn't stop working so it went 19 years until I got rid of it (engine fine, always synthetic oil, not rough running) because I wanted a car with modern electronics in it. Damn, but I can't hardly see out the back anymore. Sometimes I wish I had kept the old car because I had no fear of changing lanes on the CROWDED freeway.

Is windex really that bad for windows?

>Is windex really that bad for windows?
Why you say that?

Are you referring to Windex with Ammonia-D? Of course you don't use ammonia on tint. It works on everything else though.

If you're talkin about who said he didn't use windex, he explained why. But since he mentioned windex, he implied that it was normal to use windex.

This. Makes getting the back window so much easier.

>Dust and skinflakes and other things just don't exist

aight

>Maybe if you weren't a dirty FUCK you wouldn't need to clean your windows.

Cars need cleaning all the time. Only sloppy or lazy car owners wait until big pizza hand smudges force them to clean the windows.

-- New cars have plastics that outgas plasticizer and some of that deposits on windows as a film.

-- Opening windows lets smog, nearby car exhaust, industrial pollutants, and restaurant smoke in and over time there is a film on the window.

-- Use of air fresheners causes some oil to deposit on the windows

-- Atmospheric dust enters the car from open windows and doors

-- Passengers touch the windows. They are guests and not prisoners, so I try not to ever say "No you cannot do this" when a guest is in the car. Thus, I end up with fingerprints. I am known for making people use a wet wipe to clean hands though (and been criticized for it as in how dare you think I am unclean). Unlike you, I don't call them dirty f8cks because that is not my way.

I just do a mini-detail when I get back home. Grumble some people really have dirty hands. But never fear, I have a fabric cleaning machine (because I am autistic about clean).

Invisible glass and news paper. It works great and I am a pretty heavy smoker.

>Can't believe this is the only other person rocking newspaper in here.
I use newspaper and glass cleaner at the start to get rid of most of the grime on the windows. I then follow up with one paper towel for a streak free clean. Using newspaper lets me cut down on paper towel use. It makes no sense to use more than one paper towel as even those are getting more expensive as their sizes keep on shrinking (fewer sheets per roll and smaller sheets). They tried shrinking paper towels some more to 10.5 inches but that failed for now. I remember when 12 inches was one of the dimensions. In my parent's time, some paper towels were really long at 13 inches. But that was when toilet paper was also 4.75 inches per square and thick too.

I use invisible glass, too - but I use newsprint for the "cloth". Good stuff.

>Invisible glass and news paper.
>I use newspaper and glass cleaner

From reading about people using newspaper to save money, I discovered it works for me. Thanks for the useful tip.

All those free tabloids at the stores and libraries means I get a free supply of cleaning paper. It beats using a bunch of expensive paper towels on the windows.

I just use a duster before vacuuming for those.

10/10
Would wipe my windshield with poo again

we use old cloth diapers that are on the ragged (eheh) edge before throwing out to clean windows, works like a charm

You may be taking this internet advice business too seriously.

Best I have found thus far is whitegas / shellite. Have tried isopropyl with average results.

>From reading about people using newspaper to save money, I discovered it works for me.

Since I wash my hands after cleaning the windows with paper towels, it doesn't matter if I switch to using newspaper. The print ink will be washed off by the soap.

To make the newspaper more absorbent and to roughen up the smooth hard paper so that it will capture grime, I crinkle up the paper and mush it up several times so it is not so hard and smooth. That gets my hands dirty from the ink though, so I have to be aware not to touch other things and leave inky fingerprints or handprints.

It's a small price to pay because some of the high-quality paper towels have a MSRP of $6.99 per giant sheet roll. Of course, they don't sell at that price because the supermarkets always discount from MSRP. On amazon, bulk-purchase of 12-pack regular-size rolls of my favorite Bounty is approx $53 plus sales tax. There are 49 sheets per roll in that 12-pack. So using newspaper is cheaper. I'm glad that paper towels haven't shrunk in size like toilet paper thus forcing you to use more.

>You may be taking this internet advice business too seriously.
Or the poster is annoyed at /r/ posters who post a request for help, then abandon the thread after 30 minutes. It's not like everyone on Veeky Forums scans request threads every minute. Many people might only come by Veeky Forums once per day if even that. So the OP has to at least wait long enough for one of the helpful posters to randomly show up while the thread still exists.

>I have a ford fusion and its hard to reach the window

Walmart sells a window cleaning pad that is mounted on a short plastic arm for cleaning interior windows. It's in the automotive section next to the all the other window cleaning products. For convenience, it breaks down into shorter sections so you could technically even fit it in the glove compartment (yuck) or in your car care bag in the trunk (better).

This. I keep 2 in my glove box along with some interior wipes.

On the topic of cleaning, are any of those portable vacuums worth buying to keep in my car?

microfiber cloth and Vinegar mixed with water.

Believe it or not, if your windows/glasses are just dirty as in there is just dirt on it or some finger prints, you can clean it with clean water (boiled) and clean microfiber cloth.

If it has some other shit on it, then yeah, use glass cleaner.

Thanks for the advice with the paper towel, senpai.

>microfiber cloth and Vinegar mixed with water.

Please stop using vinegar for interior surfaces (and in the household). Vinegar is something from the old world that has lingered into the new world. In the old days, there wasn't even reasonable cleaning cloth or affordable chemical cleaners for the masses like there is now. Heck, some of you guys talk about using t-shirts, but that kind of weave wasn't even around until modern times. Poplin and pinpoint were the typical cotton weaves before then.

The only time one uses vinegar is on the exterior windows because the acid eats the calcium waterspots on the windows. Of course, you could use a lemon or some CLR acid spray too (don't get it on paint). Some people use cream of tartar from their kitchen to remove waterspots, but anyone skilled enough to cook with tartar would have lemon juice.

Nowadays, you have paint detailer sprays that remove water spots, so you can cheat and spray some detailer on the window and feel safe knowing that detailer spray doesn't harm your wax job or paint.

I experimented with turtle wax ICE detailer spray and it removed waterspots off my chrome. So it looks like I will use that for exterior window waterspots and chrome waterspots from now on. It's fully synthetic so it doesn't leave whitish residue on trim like old school carnauba wax. Thus ICE is easy to use and wipe off.

Vinegar is smelly and sticky if the residue gets moist.

Put on a leather glove and rub it down. Works great for defogging during winter.

1. Put car in the shade and lay down paper towels on your dashboard/sill to catch over-spray/drips. You don't want to work on a hot window.
2. Wipe the window down with a clean microfiber cloth.
3. Use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser to clean the window.
4. Dry the window with a clean microfiber cloth.
5. Spray Invisible Glass on a microfiber cloth and wipe the window.

Super clean window every time. Works especially well on windshields, which get coated with oil because of the out-gassing from plastics.

I just do it the cheap way. Dripping onto the dash doesn't occur because I don't spray too much window cleaner. I also spray in sections such as the part of the windshield to the left of the rearview mirror and then the right side of the rearview mirror after I've cleaned the left side.

I do like what's said in and which makes it fast and cheap to do. Only need one microfiber cloth because almost all the oily film is wiped off by that time. So the microfiber cloth leaves the window completely clear.

The best advice is to wash hands before starting to clean windows.

Holy shit I'm so glad I was able to attend grade school in my country when I hear shit like this