High altitude driving

Have you ever been high enough with your car to actually notice your car running out of breath?

I know electronics regulate stuff so that everything runs smoothly but I guess you'd notice it if you really give it to her hard and push the limits up there

Yes, a Jeep Grand Cherokee full of shit and towing a trailer around Breckenridge and the area was definitely losing some balls with the attitude. Kept wanting to downshift and run at like 5k rpm on mild inclines while it had no problem with the stuff further east.

Rented a 2015 v6 mustang and was at ~7000 feet altitude most of the time, up to 8k at one point.

It ran good but clearly didn't impress me. 305 HP is a lot but you already had to be revved high to get it. You can imagine I was in sport mode the entire time up at 5k+ RPMs to get power out of the girl.

Made me appreciate my 2015 1.8t golf back home that much more. Really wish I had a turbo to play with at those altitudes.

I can feel my N/A 1.8 loose power around ~2000m (~7000ft) Nothing drastic, it feels like having the AC on/off.

Yeah, Toyota 4Runner V8.
It was before I put a K&N 63 kit on it, but It's been a Texas car its whole life, and last summer I took it up to Colorado into the San Isabel National Forest to Bear lake and Blue lake, which are about 10,400' and 10,500' up, respectively, and I could tell she was starting to gasp a little bit.

I mean, even with a 3.73 rear axle, the 4th gen 4wd 4runners were heavy, and a 4.7L NA V8 needs a lot of air to breathe.

I'm going back to Colorado in about a month, so I'll see how it does now that I've done intake/exhaust.

Should also probably mention, to get to the campgrounds you have to go from the town of Cuchara, up a dirt grade road, and the altitude change from Cuchara to Bear Lake is a little over 2,000 feet.

Those are some nice mountains.

>tfw live at 7000'
>high octane is 91, low 85
>motorcycle is a dog, but that's because it's a Harley

Seriously, unless you're carbureted you're fine and if you are just get your shit adjusted or learn to diy (gasp) before you hit 10,000

I just drove to Alpine California, and i felt a lack of power compared to were I usually drive which is at sea level.

Although it could be just my imagination since it was only 2k feet elevation.

Tfw: every automatic car burning away their brake pads on the way down hill
while i just put it on 5th gear and let the car roll at 60mph no problem.

I saw a guy crash over there, people need to learn how to drive.

You're probably just used to it. Unless the cars somehow adjust to compensate. But I definitely lost some power between regular driving in Chicago and 9000'. Not a ton, but the car wants to downshift a bit sooner to pass or climb a hill.

Shistang pls go

No because my car has air forced down its throat at all times

Natural Aspiration a shit

It'll lean out the mixture to avoid knocking, less air means less fuel means less power

Based turbodiesels

Those were some nice roads then

When I visited Gran Canaria and rented a car I had to go in second gear downhill because of all the twists and turns, and I still had two dangerous situations because the brakes got too hot

Yeah, we have something similar around here, its called La Rumorosa and it's probably one of the most dangerous roads I've ever driven, you always see crashes on the way up and down, full of twisty roads and big ass trucks.

The road i was talking about wasn't that bad, it had 6% inclination and because you don't really see that you are going downhill people tend to accelerate to 100mph or more without realizing it.

As someone moving from about sea level to Denver [probably] would I notice a difference?

Deffinetly, any NA car will be like a second slower.

Well, fuck.

My 3.4l Tacoma did alright up 7-9k ft up.
Its got maybe 170hp so it wasnt struggling at all, this was in 100+ heat

I live in Denver @ 5300', one of my good friends lives in Leadville which is over 10,000' and my Ecoboost F150 doesn't struggle very much, nor does my Ecoboost Mustang, but my CR-V can barely make it up some hills. turbos definitely help to negate the performance lost from the less dense air.

pic related was dicking around at around 11,000' elevation.

rude

Yes, my BRZ felt like it was dying the first time I gave it 91 octane then tried to do the long climb uphill into Colorado. I had to slow down to about 50 and let everybody pass me.

I recently drove up Pikes Peak, had a lot of tarbo surge, felt a little power loss. Essentially had to use 4th instead of 6th to pass.

Also drove up a ton of continental divides at night time so there was no traffic, and I was able to go ham on them. A bit of power loss, but not a lot. Tarbo, and meth injection helped a lot.

I'd love to go through those hills

I have a 90's KLR650 and it looses maybe a marginal amount of power above 10000 feet. They are jetted so lean to meet emissions it hardly matters. Only adjustment you need is the idle screw and you can adjust that sitting on the bike at a stop light.

will the turbo naturally maintain overall positive pressure so theres no loss at altitude?

sure. except when it doesnt, and surges.

I live at about 4500ft, regularly go to about 7000, and sometimes over 10000. I definitely notice a difference at all of those.

haha cuz bewbz r so le 3pic ftw

What is that, an ebc or bov/bypass issue?

Sorry im a turbo newfag

>what is rule #3

Nope. You generally don't get that sort of altitude change in the UK, and modern cars can adjust for that sort of thing.

Humidity that suppresses the spark in the engine? Yes.
Air so cold the engine can't keep heat? Yes.
Rain so heavy it's like driving through treacle? Yes.

>and modern cars can adjust for that sort of thing.

>Air so cold the engine can't keep heat? Yes.
>what are cooling circuit valves

Modern cars can adjust for that sort of thing.