Getting really tired of driving shit boxes and being from burger land I want to celebrate my freedom with a big ass...

Getting really tired of driving shit boxes and being from burger land I want to celebrate my freedom with a big ass truck. Thing is I still want to go fast and I've seen/heard of turbo diesels being able to kick some ass. Thing is I don't know shit about trucks.

What the best base to start with a truck to mod? I don't care if it's Ford/chevy/dodge. I checked out bankspower.com to get an idea but they have over 9000 kits for these trucks and it's hard to navigate.

My spending limit is 6,000. What make/model years should I go for? I'd like it to be manual too.

Other urls found in this thread:

motusmotorcycles.com/mst
youtube.com/watch?v=u6-zc5iQ9rw
ebay.com/itm/Sand-Rail-Long-travel-/142048600682?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2112c1a26a:g:OoAAAOSwuzRXfyO3&item=142048600682
motusmotorcycles.com/files/v4.pdf
z06vette.com/forums/f5/ls1-ls6-ls2-ls7-general-engine-specs-75925/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you go to diesel truck forums most people will tell you bankspower sucks

you're not going to get dick for 6000. the 04.5-07 5.9L Cummins are good for making big power. a friend has one that makes 900+whp and probably in the neighborhood of 2000 ft-lbs with intake, exhaust, turbo, injectors, rockers and a built trans. those are the only modifications, truck and engine have over 200k on them.

I can tell from their webpage its not very well organized. It was just a place for me to look for models with available aftermarket.

I'm finding plenty on craigslist for 6,000 and under I just don't know which years and models are good to get. I don't need the newest and best models.

What about a 94-97 ford 7.3? Those I'm finding pretty cheap and doesn't seem to be a bad starting place.

the 7.3L is slower than fuck. you'd be better off building a 5.3L Silverado. Duramaxes have never been fast, the pre-common rail Cummins wasn't fast and the 6.4L is the only Powerstroke that's fast. if you want a diesel that moves you're going to have to quadruple your budget.

Well maybe not a 94-97, I would like something newer with more power starting out.

Pretty much I just want something with good aftermarket.

Get a tank

Well that really puts a turd in my punch bowl. I don't need 900 horsepower, I though around 400-500 would be plenty I just didn't know what, if any, older trucks had the aftermarket to support it.

op wtf are you doing trying to spend your tiny budget on some massive pickup god damn get a good job save some decent cash and then you can live like a rich man

fuck

well look at it this way, a new Powerstroke makes 440hp stock and they run 14s. 400-500hp isn't a lot when you're pushing around 7-8k pounds with it.

I could afford payments on a new truck but I'd but I'd hate to be a slave to monthly payments for 5 or more years...

What about a 99 and a 1/2 to 2000 Ford 7.3? These any good or are they turds?

Another one that caught my eye are the 96-98 5.9 cummins, any good?

HP means fuck all in a diesel truck

Torque is the number to look at

Not sure of their pricing, probably still fairly high as they're a bit of a cult classic already but the F-150 SVT Lightning comes to mind.

Not diesel but supercharged V8, and fairly quick. Toyota also had a TRD Tacoma a ways back that was I believe a supercharged V6, and I believe it came in stock as well.

Otherwise there's the SRT-10 Ram but that's definitely higher up the price range by a good bit. And if you want stick you need to get a standard can, crew cabs were all four speed auto.

All of those are pretty much out of my price range, nice trucks though.

if you actually knew anything about diesels you'd know this isn't true at all. go ask a trucker what engine he's got, there is a 100% chance he's going to say something along the lines of "475hp Cat" instead of "2050 ft-lb Cummins" because the torque just gets them off the line but the horsepower keeps them moving down the highway. the dyno at my work doesn't even read torque, just horsepower.

again, the 7.3 is solid but just not fast. the Cummins is probably your best bet for the money.

>all these bro truckers kicking their accelerators to force the TCU to drops gears

lol and speed away.

I think you're right. The cummins seems to be the best bang for my buck as it's in older trucks. a 01-04 duramax might not be too bad of an idea but for 6 grand it will be tough to find one that's not ragged out.

Now I need to figure out if I want normal cab, crew cab, 4 door, short bed, long bed, auto, manual, 2x4 or 4x4.

The options are limitless.

Fast
Diesel
Affordable

Pick 2 and only 2

>My spending limit is 6,000
Get a gas truck, any diesel truck that cheap will have a million miles and/or be total shit in general.

you buy one of these

700hp shelby f150

about $100,000

The dyno only reads torque you peanut.

yeah, no, horsepower.
>implying you know where I work

>a big ass truck. Thing is I still want to go fast
Enjoy rolling and/or killing someone.

They're all slow turds desu.

>HURR URR MUH TRUCK PUTS DOWN 900HP TO THE 24" AMERICAN FORCE AND WILL DO 11s

CSB, it's slow as balls compared to a 20 y/o turd foxbody with a junkyard LS.

Diesels don't make economic sense anymore. That's why fleets transitioned to gas/CNG and the only survivors have been oilrig and crane/work medium duties that need to idle to run their equipment.

>shelby f150
>pretend offroad truck with dynoqueen numbers and not a lightning successor

full fucking retard

Why is a 8000lb truck on 100lb wheels going 11s slow to you? Compared to what, your huayra?

Compared to my termi and adventure bike.

>Hurr durr, it's heavy so why is 11s slow?
>Hurr durr it's a trash truck not meant for racing, why is 30s slow?

>implying you know the first thing about anything
No, any dyno only reads torque. HP=(torque X rpm)/5252
HP is the relationship between torque and rpm, so your dyno actually only reads torque, and then applies the above equation to display horsepower. As you don't know such a simple thing, I doubt you've used a dyno, or worked on thing beyond changing oil, in your life.

okay faggot it gives you a horsepower number on the screen. not a torque number. congratulations on being a miserable pedantic douchebag. never said I operate the dyno.

Not that other user, but this isn't pedantics. It's an entirely relevant fact that relates to your discussion.

Also, what kind of fucking dyno doesn't display the torque curve?

It's not pedantic. You said torque doesn't matter. With no torque you have no horsepower, so it does matter. I'm well aware you don't operate the dyno, I'd be surprised if you are able to sweep the floors efficiently.

Also, as the other user said, what dyno is this? Make and model? Also never seen one that doesn't display a torque curve.

my point was that the dyno does not display torque. it shows horsepower and measures blow by. I'm well aware that the equation used to calculate horsepower requires knowing torque, but I think it's pretty clear that isn't relevant to what I was saying.

also I have no idea what brand the dyno is. it's at the Pete dealer I work at, and it's used for troubleshooting more than anything else.

>the dyno does not display torque

But that's wrong. Just google dyno results and notice that all the results have two distinct curves. One is horsepower, and the other is torque. I'm not sure that I've ever seen a dyno printout without a torque curve

>pretty clear that isn't relevant to what I was saying.
>"torque doesn't matter"
It's completely relevant.

Well, seeing as you "work there", wander over to the dyno and find out the model.

Get a syclone

Or a lightning

Or a al camino

Or a ranchero

If you actually want to go fast forget about diesels altogether and opt for a svt lightning or ram srt10. Youre not going to get much for $6,000 though.

This,
Sure the HP don't lie
but they don't tell you these fucking things weigh 5-6500 pounds.

>If you actually want to go fast forget about diesels altogether and opt for a 600cc supersport.

FTFY

>600cc
kek
1.6 or nah
motusmotorcycles.com/mst

>motus

this post is a meme right?

Just buy the crate motor

>motusmotorcycles.com/mst
>Why buy a bike off craigslist for 2k when I can spend THIRTY THOUSAND + INTEREST?

Good job.

Stop being poor, just buy more money yo

why would you buy that?

Because it's small enough to fit into anything and very easy to work on.
Not sure if they offer long blocks but a turn key is 10 grand.

>Owe nobody
>I'm considered poor by everyone with six figures in student loans, credit cards, and auto loans.

A..at least I have my shitbox senpai.

It's okay user...one day we'll die and then we won't have to worry about money but eternal damnation for believing ecoboost memes.

>10 grand
>when you can get a kawa zx14r or a busa, like a complete bike, for that much

???

youtube.com/watch?v=u6-zc5iQ9rw

>falling for the side by side meme

just buy a dune buggy, you can fit an actual good pushrod engine, an LS and register them for the street

I don't understand..Why not just buy crate motors and have a collection

2 meme

although 350 SBC long blocks are dirt fucking cheap

look senpai, if you ever gather enough money to afford a side by side, don't and buy something like this ebay.com/itm/Sand-Rail-Long-travel-/142048600682?forcerrptr=true&hash=item2112c1a26a:g:OoAAAOSwuzRXfyO3&item=142048600682
then drop a 350, although an LS is lighter

you will have a much better car, and if you want to register it, get a meyers manx

i'd build a sandrail, not buy one.

also V4 is dank

Put a small block in a ranger or s10

if you know how to fab, do it, otherwise you are going to fuck your shit up

Looks like a hunting platform desu.

>don't know what a hunting platform is
>google it
>mfw

that looks like, really gay

wow a 10k engine swap for 16 more hp.

You can cook the engines goodly tho

>Owe nobody

fuck yeah

>torque doesnt matter
l m a o
never change Veeky Forums

what?

What i mean is the Motus V4 is very easy to modify and tune.

how? does it really have aftermakret?
its a custom engine user, that costs 10k, and dont bullshit me with "its just like an LS"

You don't really need an aftermarket when it's built to be as open as it is.
Cut a SBC in half and it's basically a Motus V4 except for the heads and such.

You could prolly put a quadrajet on it 2bh

>1600cc + 1600cc = 3 liter
>half an SBC

what

I meant mechanically homo.

It's a 90 degree pushrod V4, it's retarded simple.

yeah but that doesn't mean you can buy parts for it in autozone or summit, doublehomo

so now we're at a 20k rzr, 10k crate motor, fabrication for swap + mawds? a 35-40k kart? you could buy a real sand rail with a real ls for that.

the motor is neat but not practical from a performance standpoint.

>yeah but that doesn't mean you can buy parts for it in autozone or summit,
You probably will never need to, it has a common bore and very few components to fail.
The only challenge would be finding a V4 crankshaft and camshaft.

I mean the intake and exhaust are designed for you to put literally whatever your want on there.

You don't need to buy a rzr bruv.

you could prolly put this thing in a Miata

>1.8 miata makes 140hp
>spending 20k on an engine+swap for 20hp more

what the fuck dude

I work at a company that sells propane and delivers ice all we have is diesels.

I didn't say it was practical, but if you wanted you could probably buy a block sans motorbike gearbox.

I think their point with this motor was to be a viable replacement for tired Harley engines but they built in a way to fit in anything.
I'll prolly buy one eventually and do something with one.

>Truck for $6000

Good luck. Truckfags tax the shit out of theirs trucks. They're way worse than the boomer faggots.

>89 S10 with no bed, no engine, transmission, and it's literally on fire.
>$7000

>harley

just buy a yamaha/kawa, and if you want muh merica, get an Indian

don't ever fall for the harley meme

Rice.

>yfw there's diesels running 7's with zero smoke.

>An American in my village imported a V8 pickup from Burgerland
>He financially cucked himself since fuel is fucking expensive here
>He only drives it occasionally now
>Mfw

ya im sure that extra 1-200 a month for fuel is really ruining the experience for him.

I'm not the one to tell, i ride hondurrrrrrr
but we all know harleyfags drop huge stacks for their hour-a-week rides.

If i got this i would just build a small roll cage car around it.

SBC swap is for muh classic this winter

I talked to him about it the other day, it was costing him 4x more to run his truck and fill up at the same intervals as me in my car, and we both work in the local town doing similar commutes.
The cheapest place to refuel charges £1.13/litre or about £5.13/gallon,which would be $6.80/gallon in USD.
Isn't it about $3/gal in most places across the USA?

Get a clean (and I stress clean) 70's chevy with a small block. It's reliable, easy to work on, lots of room to mod and parts are literally free or cheap as dirt. It sounds beautiful if you add headers to it too. With that extra money you'll want to give it a fresh new paint color because the original stock colors look like puke.

Ls6 heads will bolt right on and so will most performance exhausts.
It shares the same cam as a ls1 so that's all readily available

Grew up with a 74 Cheyenne that had a 400 in it. Sounded like heaven.

> a v8 engine head will bolt in a v4 engine

>not cutting it in half

What he means is the heads are identical with exception to the size.
If you could cut the heads in half, they would work.

>not just leaving half the head with no cylinder underneath

>having cylinders

>not just a lit match to your injectors and powering your car with WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

>What I mean is

FITY

>I
but that wasn't me(me)

>hunting platform
get a chebby C/K and drop an cummings in

You aint gonna buy ass with 6k. If I were you I would start off with a cheaper gasser half ton truck. You could maybe find one that isn't on its last leg.

fuck in the yahoo?

motusmotorcycles.com/files/v4.pdf
>88mm (3.465in.) bore x 67.8mm (2.669in.) stroke

z06vette.com/forums/f5/ls1-ls6-ls2-ls7-general-engine-specs-75925/
>Bore x Stroke = 99mm x 92mm

FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

FUCKING PUSHROD AND LS FANGIRLS PISS ME OFF SO FUCKING MUCH

NO YOUR ENGINE IS NOT GOD'S GIFT TO MANKIND!!!

NO, A V4 BASED ON IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA, ITS HEAVIER THAN A DOHC INLINE 4 USED IN OTHER SPORTBIKES AND AN LS6 HEAD WIL NOT BOLT IN!!!

ITS ALSO FUCKING EXPENSIVE, NO IM NOT PAYING 10K FOR A 1.6 V4 WHEN I CAN BUY A HAYABUSA/ZX4R ENGINE AND MAKE 700HP WITH 10K

YES 700 OUT OF A HAYABUSA ENGINE
>OH BUT MUH LS IS LIGHTER AND IT HAS PUSHRIODS SO BLARGHGRGHGAGAHRGHAGH

NOO FAGGOT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A MOTUS V4

REEE

REEEEEEEEEEE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A FUCKING LS6 WON'T BOLT RIGHT IN, IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE THE SAME BORE, AND THE BORE SPACING IS DIFFERENT

FUCKING REEEEEEEEEEEEE

REEEEEEEEEE

youre a faggot.