Is it normal to go through a phase where you hate working on your car?

Is it normal to go through a phase where you hate working on your car?

I got my first car last year. I do all maintaince and did my full exhaust and air intake along with other suspension work.

I don't think I like working on cars. I do but I don't. I don't know how to explain. I get frustrated easily and screw up sometimes. Is this normal?

When I did my long tube headers, that took me 2.5 days. I hated it. I ran into so many frustrating problems and headaches that it just made me mad as shit.

I have the same issue
My mindset:
>paying money to be angry and bloody your knuckles
Then i think:
>still cheaper than paying someone else
Worst thing is getting balls deep in a repair and realize youre missing something(s) and either cant get it for days or have to make 12 trips to the parts stores

Man at first I loved working on cars but when I did my long tubes, I was legitimately mad. When I started car, I thought they were leaking because of smoke coming out but that was PB blaster igniting.

I've never been so mad in my life. I was punching walls and throwing shit. The feeling of 2.5 days of nonstop wrenching all for nothing made me hate doing big tasks on my car... Does it help if you have a buddy? Luckily it wasn't leaking too.

lol autist

Long tubes are one of the most frustrating things to put in I've ever done, unless your making a dedicated drag racer go with shorty headers

If you are doing header work, you might as well do long tubes but shirties are just as a PITA

I hate working on my car with a passion, Im just a poor cheap faggot who doesnt have another option.

If it's a nice car you'll enjoy it.

What car takes 2 and a half days to install any kind of headers?

The NSX.

Long tubes are awful, you gotta take out the engine and move shit everywhere, shorties are jacking up the car and a new y or x pipe

Ill take a few hours more and some grinding for more power everywhere in the power band any day.

It's completely normal man. But persevere. What took you two and a half days the first time takes you two the next, and a day after that. You would have learned practical skills that you can now apply to any job you are doing on the car.

You're already miles ahead of many 'car enthusiasts' who've never dived into a car as you've done.

Try not to let the frustration get to you as it only slows you down and causes you to overlook things that would otherwise be obvious. If it does just get up and cool off, go back to it when you've got your head straight.

Even though it frustrates you, each time you do work you become a faster and more skilled spanner-spinner. Even better that you've had to troubleshoot and diagnose. Keep your cool and you'll pick up on things like the PB Blaster on the headers quickly and deal with them quickly, which helps you keep your cool.

Dig in buddy, you're doing well.

I never hate working on my car, but by god I've said some bad shit about the moms of the guys that invented some of these parts in the engine bay

>slows you down causing you to overlook shit
No that happens when you try to speed things up and try to get it done fast

>loved cars
>military diesel monkey back in the day
>got out, worked grease monkey
>hated it except for driving some fun stuff rarely
I knows cars, love cars, can wrench, but refuse to. I'm ok with paying some other monkey wrench my car, I'm here to drive it.

I fucking hate working on cars, they're cunts of things.

But- it gets fixed properly, which is something you don't get at many mechanics now. Ones that know what they're doing and aren't just parts fitters are very scarce.

that phase is called being an adult

Upgrading is fun. Fixing busted shit is a pain in the ass.

Preventative/routine maintenance is "meh" depending on how difficult it is

You speak the truth.

I hate working on my car, I know I don't use an impact to put everything on though. I know no steps were skipped, no parts that need to be replaced werent, and that I was not massively overcharged.

If I had a garage with a lift and organized tools and lots of counter space then it would be easy and fun to work on my car. Working in a small home garage on your back on the concrete covered in grease isn't much fun.

Excuse me lad, but it also tends to happen when you are frustrated. Happens to all of us.

Working too fast for your ability will cause the same thing, as you've said, but that doesn't make the fact that frustration causes oversight any less true.