Let's talk DASH CAMS

Dash cams are so cheap they're practically a no brainer despite the small likelihood of needing the footage in a dispute. Any recommended models or setups?

Other urls found in this thread:

thedashcamstore.com/universal-dash-cam-quick-installation-kit/
dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2016/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328
dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch/
youtube.com/watch?v=hodXZQdqR2c
youtube.com/watch?v=3NVi2jmXyvs
dashcamownersaus.com.au/DVR2015.pdf
waylens.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=DrlzIuwpg3A
youtube.com/watch?v=BWHPHQwBN8o
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm eventually going to get the street guardian (pic related) it looks exactly like a rexing or a A118C but has a sony CMOS sensor which provides the best night footage out there. I'm going to hardwire it with this

thedashcamstore.com/universal-dash-cam-quick-installation-kit/

A118c master race checking in

Not legal in Germoney

Wrong. Check your facts, fuccboi.

How about you check your facts.
They're useless in court and filming while driving is against the Datenschutzgesetz.

$200? Seems kinda pricey. Is that just to get better night vision?

Cant pronounce it, must be true

Actually in court it is up to the judge to decide weather to allow it or not. And you can film well driving but you cant publish the film without blurring plates and faces.

There's a myriad of models, with same OEMs sold under different names on different markets for further confusion.

As far as features go
1080p: good
1296p and beyond: not worth paying extra
Polarizer: useful but not critical
GPS: mostly useless, saves you the hassle of setting correct time
Radar warning: useless
Record on sound/vibration when parked: works 1 time out of 20
Interior cam: useless unless you're a taxi driver
Rear cam: useful but a huge hassle to install
Quick removal mount: useful if your area is very hot or full of blacks; mount with integrated power connector preferred

Yes $200. It's all around the best dash cam, very widely used. It stands up well against heat, and has overall good video quality. Very easy to read license plates.

FYI, dashcam footage on youtube is slightly fucked because youtube fucks with it or something, so the footage will be much better when you upload it to a computer.

>tfw in my country a recent law flat out requires judges to take video evidence into account

our lawmakers are notoriously shit, but once in a while they pass surprisingly decent stuff

>because youtube fucks with it or something

its that damn jewtube compression

That's a shit law if it applies to video acquired illegally. Encourages police to break the law in order to catch criminals, which as justified as that sounds will more often than not infringe on the rights of law abiding citizens, as well as placing the police above the law.

If it doesn't apply to this then it's completely useless, as the judge would likely take the video evidence into account anyway if it was relevant, so the only thing this law would do is make them take into account irrelevant video, which they would simply place little to no weight on when making their decision.

best cam for $50?

you should get a hard wiring kit too

I have this exact one and it's awesome, hardwired as well.

Check out Techmoan's YouTube channel for dash cam reviews:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328

I have dashcams in all my cars
I tried to convince all my friends to get their own
so far only one bought a camera
story time:

>have to take my family to the airport
>5 people, 6 large suitcases, 2 small ones
>borrow friend's SUV
>have a dashcam laying around
>mount it before driving the car
>no incident, take the SUV back, leave the cam, tell friend he should buy two more for his other cars
>yeah, yeah, ok ...
>NEXT DAY he's driving his other car, stupid driver merges without looking crashes into him
>no dashcam, no pictures of the accident itself, the other driver claims it was my friend's fault
>insurance company says they're both at fault, no claim is paid

I want to strangle him!

Snitches get sticks faggots

>Snitches get sticks faggots

That's "Snitches get stitches". And it assumes that the snitch can't just knock your head through a wall.

So why don't any reputable companies make dash cams?

I bought a cheap Chinese model off the geek.com Android app for $13AU. A local electronics chain is selling the same model for $139.

It's probably shit but it's $13.

They are starting to, Garmin is making/rebranding some

>tfw got 97% of the wiring hidden
>the little bit left that wont tuck under the panels that are just glued on

Nope nope nope.

The BlackVue DR650 actually IS the all around best dashcam, especially the 2CH model.

i've been hit and ran in carparks twice this month.
both times have been in my front fenders(both are very dinged now)
what dashcam could record when the cars off and get set off my inertia?

where is that mounted?

> Known problems

> 2.1 Rear Camera Color Problem
> 2.2 Purple Tint on Sides
> 2.3 DAB Radio Interference

> 2 channel has lower quality than single

dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr650gw-2ch/

gr8 b8 m8

xiaomi.

I'd go with motion instead. Yeah you'll record a lot of useless stuff but I wouldn't trust an inertia switch/trigger.

Low speeds means it might crush your panel without really moving the car enough to trigger.

Also, and importantly, it assuming it's instant on, it only starts recording as you're hit. You could easily miss anything identifying on the car that hits you. If it's a tenants garage you'd just need to see the car and go check it for damage to confirm, but anything public you'd be fucked.

Shit tier installation bro.

Spend a bit of time on it, chances are your factory harness has spare spaces on the fuse block because "omg so many available options no one chooses", you'd just need run your hot wire from wherever you want to it, and then make sure the connectors leading up to the install point have extra spaces for leads, and if they don't just get a new factory connector that has an extra pin spot.

Undoing the factory heatshield/conduit to add the new wire to the harness is optional.

Any other cameras like this thing, but not garbage?

I'd like to keep things symmetrical and discreet.

There's BlackVue and then there's everything else. Just compare the videos taken by them.

youtube.com/watch?v=hodXZQdqR2c

Black Box G1W-C $50
PAPAGO GS200-US GoSafe 200 $99
PAPAGO P3-US P3 $215

Do not buy cobra. Their power connectors are shit and WILL flake out on you.

also these are decent cameras
youtube.com/watch?v=3NVi2jmXyvs

>That's a shit law if it applies to video acquired illegally.
Would you care to show us that it does?

its a fuse tap

you literally tap into a fuse

I have a G1W and it works fine and has decent quality for the price.

Only really good for DD stuff it doesn't perform great when you're hektik.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder.

>So why don't any reputable companies make dash cams?

What are the best rear cams though? It seems there are plenty of ideas for front facing cams. The next frontier are either rear cams or cams to look for car thieves trying to break in.

Does anyone with a soft-top vehicle get a dash cam? I just don't see how you could leave it in there and not expect people to try to steal it. Especially if the information isn't externally stored.

Soft top? My previous dash cam was stolen from an SUV. Smashed window and all that. They took my original 80s hits CD as well, the cunts.

Up behond the rearview mirror as far as it will fit.

>tfw camera has parking mode but too paranoid about leaving it in car to set it up

Now that I think about it, they'll see the mount, lead and plug hanging near the mirror and probably break in anyway thinking it's tucked into the glovebox or under the seat anyway.

Is there a pattern to the crime in your area? Why can't people do something to reduce it? Or is it that no one really cares enough to do something? Or is it that if someone organizes an effort, others try to tear that effort down out of pettiness or because they are trying to protect minority rights?

>implying there is a single thing wrong with using an add-a-circuit

get a load of this cunt

Actually I live in a rural town, crime is/was virtually nonexistant but I remember my brother in the city saying that junkies and the like target cars with suction cup mounts and even the O-ring marks left on the windshield if they take them off. GPS units and dashcams are easily enough to get you a fix if you pawn it. Now we have a pawnshop car breakins are getting more common than previous.

I'm trying to get a good dashcam+backup camera combo cause that nigger obama made it required by law. Are there any good ones out there?

>I'm trying to get a good dashcam+backup camera combo cause that nigger obama made it required by law
>this shitty bait

In my metro city area, the pawnshops were highly regulated. They were required to have cameras with clear views of the sellers, records of purchases, and obtain identification. But the rise of ebay as the new pawn shop put an end to that. Now, pawn shops are avid sellers on ebay as the way to expand their clientele.

The criminals also sell on ebay. So crime went up for all kinds of stuff that sells on ebay. Enterprising shady youths started making ebay shops and buying stolen merchandise. They would get rid of serial numbers and sell on auctions, but if the item was extra hot because it was too identifiable, then it may be sold in an ebay shop. That way it could be made out of stock to buyers in the same state as the seller. That prevented the victim from having the police or themselves buy the stolen item back and thus establish a trail.

The thieves sometimes snatch things from people at local malls. For example, some thieves wait outside an apple store and will do the usual sucker punch and grab your pack and package. The big black guy was strong and had momentum. The victim had the strap of his pack wrapped around his hand. As the strap slipped, it tangled on his thumb. The black guy yanked hard while running and tore the guys thumb off. How dare some white boy stop the black man from having apple macbook.

I was at the entrance area to nordstroms at the mall when some lady ran in tearfully looking for a phone to call 911. Her purse and tablet were snatched after the black guy hit her. So he had her cell too. Everyone knows to wrap hot cells in foil several times and then put inside a metal tin.

That's why if you ever see black dudes with metal tin can and aluminum foil in their backpacks, it is not for drugs (though it could be) but for stashing stolen gear. Those people are predators so you should start to get a distance away from them while you can or else they may target you next.

My cousin's iPhone got stolen when the retard left it on the table at a restaurant. Mind you there were family members on the table when some youth took it.

The phone was easily over $700 so the police was contacted and he find my iPhone app gave them a location. The cops refused to go over the house and told them they had "no proof" the phone was really there. My uncle is a weird guy and actually agreed with the cops "they have better things to do than to recover a phone"

TL;DR: phone stolen then found through app, cops refused to knock on the house in it cause not enough proof.

I use a Vicovation Marcus 4. Excellent video quality with high resolution support (there's a newer one out that apparently has better hardware now.)
The audio is low quality as fuck though. 56kbps mp3.

I'm willing to bet you've never known an addict, right? They will sell their grandparents for a hit if they are desperate enough, they sure as shit don't care if they hand in their ID on camera, the ONLY thing they are thinking of is their next hit, consequences come later.

Because the shitty GPS is not reliable enough on most units, there's a vid on Liveleak where some guy gets woken up by cops asking to search his house because the apple app said the stolen iphone was right at his house. He rightfully told them to fuck off.

>shitty GPS is not reliable enough on most units

I agree with you on that. It's not so much that the GPS is made shitty but it's intentionally made inaccurate by regulations.

On the flip side, a coworker had his wife's phone stolen at a nail salon. Again brand new iPhone, the store owner being a chink, had a pretty sophisticated security system and actually caught one of the customer's boyfriend snatching the phone. Cops were called and the girl gave the bf's info, they found the phone and arrested the guy. I think it was a felony because the phone was over a certain amount. This happened in a small town where cops actually give a shit about their neighborhood.

>buy a Street Guardian SG9665GCv2 for $209 (It's a B40/A118 shell like OP pic but a much better image sensor and lens)
>it arrives
>put it up, drive it for five minutes to test footage
>pop out SD card, bring it in the house, drop it like an idiot on some tile
>I step on it, and since it was partially on the tile and partially in the grout, the force breaks the SD card
>Call American Express, invoke my accidental damage coverage (free), submit receipt and ask for $20 to replace the microSD card
>They don't have a mechanism for a partial refund so they just refund the whole purchase price.
>mfw

Anyways, I'm not entirely sure it's worth the purchase price of an A118/B40 capacitor version (those can be had for around $70) but the bundle is nicer if you're giving it as a gift (extra mounting tape, a nice bag to put it in if you want to put in in the glovebox, stickers warning passengers if you want them to know you're recording audio), actual US based support if you have a problem with it too... Compared to the older B40/A118 the image quality is better. They also make a clip on polarized lens that significantly cuts down on glare from the sun (which can be important depending on when you drive and your dashboard).

I own it, price was a bit steep (ended up getting it for free per above), love it.

Aside from OP's model are there any other price points??

OP's model looks plastic and cheap.

how does it do at night?

holy shit user get on the right side of the road you madman

>I agree with you on that. It's not so much that the GPS is made shitty but it's intentionally made inaccurate by regulations.
Selective Availability has been turned off for a while, user. Unless you're passing some sort of military base GPS availability on the civilian signal should generally resolve down to about four meters horizontally (a little less accurate vertically). With DGPS and most receivers in modern devices you can get down to a meter. That being said an initial lock is based on a general impression of location, and downloading ephermis data via the satellites can take longer (somewhere between 15 seconds and a minute depending on signal strength, devices with a cellular connection will generally do this online and get the data for several days rather than four hour validity). That being said there are a lot of variables and the maximum accuracy depends on the sensor. The GPS sensor for my dashcam is a Mediatek MT3337, and that's a maximum resolution of 2.5 meters (manufacturer spec).

I'm hoping eventually that some dashcam makers offer separately sold external GPS antennas that offer slightly better support, although power consumption remains an issue (the more fully featured GPS modules by mediatek and others that can read the GALILEO and GLONASS satellites for additional accuracy use about 3x the power at peak than the low power modules, we're still talking

>Dash cams are a no brainer

Please dont buy into false marketing

>OP's model looks plastic and cheap.
I'd look at pics of it mounted and of the front before you say it looks cheap. IMO, I have a generic B40 and the street guardian version (same shell, different lens) and they both look good in my vehicles.

The nice part is the B40 is really small, so you can hide it behind the rearview mirror (generally). Out of your line of sight when in the car, pretty hard to see from outside the car.

From an accident/liability perspective it absolutely makes sense. In 2012, my brother was preparing to make a left turn and yielding at a point just before the top of a hill. When the intersection was clear, he started to execute the turn. A boyracer put pedal to the metal, rapidly switched lanes just before the top of the hill, and my brother's car was hit by a driver doing more than twice the speed limit (over 60 in a 30) in the driver side corner. The force of the crash was so violent both cars were pushed more than twenty feet down the street. My brother had an out of state license (but had lived in that area for several years) and the other driver had a local license, so the local PD wrote up the accident essentially based on the other driver's word.

GEICO and our insurance company ended up settling at 49% fault on the other driver, 51% on my brother - essentially unheard of in an accident where a driver making a left turn was hit. (The force and damage from the impact made it clear my brother was at a standstill and the other driver was doing more than twice the limit, but not exactly where in the intersection the accident occurred - the other driver contended that my brother was in the opposing lane, my brother contended that the other driver went over the yellow line, which he was about to cross in preparation for the turn). The 51% technically put my brother at fault, which meant the other driver could sue our insurance company for his "pain and suffering" (hint: Extremely easy to claim whiplash in New York courts, kid's dad was a doctor driving a shitbox '95 legacy after he got several street racing tickets and totaled his last two cars). They settled. I later found out when applying for insurance that between attorney's fees and the whole thing, our insurance company paid out $106,000 to douchecanoe.

With a dashcam - had it been proven that the other driver went over the yellow line - then the fault determination would have been opposite.

here
tl;dr Boyracer doing twice the speedlimit hits my brother after going over the yellow line, lies to cops and says my brother was on his side of the road, insurance settles at 51% fault and boyracer gets $106K to buy a new subaru, and we get stuck with the bill in the form of higher auto insurance costs for five years. A $60 dashcam would have proven that the other driver was lying, and not only would we not be paying for boyracer to get a new car, but he would have been given a misdemeanor for a false statement to police.

There are other scenarios where a dashcam can be handy too:
>hit and run [if you want the other driver caught, and to prove it wasn't you who fled]
>accidents caused by drivers accidentally (e.g. hill, letting off the brake) or deliberately backing up into your car [happened to my grandmother, she lost a small claims court claim when she was still and another driver backed into her in a roundabout - other driver was friends with the judge, no video proof, judge dismissed it].
>catch videos of crazy shit to upload as webms or youtube clips
>demonstrate that at intersections, you obeyed traffic devices and the right of way (e.g. another driver blows through a stop sign, or goes even if you have the right of way and an intersection is not clear)
>attempts at pedestrians faking you hitting them (rare in the US, but it does happen).

>cops refused to knock on the house in it cause not enough proof.

That's enough proof to get a search warrant from a judge. The judge makes the call to issue the warrant or not. In my area, the judges are conservatives, so they almost always issue a search warrant if the app says it is at a GPS location.

Black Lives Matter doesn't have my area's judges fearful for their careers.

>He rightfully told them to fuck off.
The criminals here are pretty hardened. Almost all of the time they plead innocent even though they were caught dead to rights. They have the infamous "dindu nuffin" attitude just as the stereotype indicates.

For example, one such basketball american was using a gun on a bus to rob people just before a stop. A smart risk-taking passenger who knows guns jammed his finger behind the trigger and the other passengers subdued the suspect. After arrest, he was unapologetically angry at being caught. He lay down and kicked at the police car windows as hard as he could until hogtied.

In court, he pleaded innocent. His mother tearfully pleaded how he was a good boy and didn't hurt others. No one was shot on the bus right? BTW the gun was loaded with round ready to fire.

The relatives were interviewed as this was a prominent enough case to get mentioned in the paper due to the number of people on the bus robbed at gunpoint. Dindu Nuffin. The relatives talked about how racist the police are.

>This happened in a small town where cops actually give a shit about their neighborhood.
They just haven't experienced BLM tactics. Lots of blacks apply to be lawyers and those are recruited to defend suspects.

They drag the cases out even for obviously losing cases to make them all very expensive. When a city gets so many expensive cases, they often surrender by giving very very generous plea bargains just to have the case off the docket. The city doesn't have enough money to waste and gives up before the case starts.

It's not bait nuddy, and in bugerland it's required by law as of may 2018.

It is required for NEW PRODUCTION CARS you FUCKING IDIOT

yea nah

Still pretty much required to have.

but your wrong

>insurance scammer crouches behind license plate
>oops, I'm too autistic to buy a backup cam so I can't see the fucker
>oops, I backed up into the guy and hes suing me for thousands of dollars

The law is that new production cars must have a backup camera, not that all cars need to be retrofitted with it. There's also no regulation that the backup camera function as a dashcam as well.

I'm not even aware if there's a backup camera dashcam. Generally backup cameras are wired to one of the backup lights, and when the camera sends an image whatever monitor it's connected to switches to the backup view. take the car out of reverse, power to the camera cuts, backup view stops.

dashcamownersaus.com.au/DVR2015.pdf

Obviously, it applies to legally shot video.

>the judge would likely take the video evidence into account anyway if it was relevant
They had to make it a law after too many publicized cases of judges upholding false fines and charges in the face of video evidence because "there's no reason to doubt the testimony of a law enforcement officer".

Because "reputable" companies tend to be slow as molasses at technology adoption. Remember how it took a decade for car audio makers to start supporting MP3, and then a decade more for USB and Bluetooth adoption?

>A118
That model seems to have a lot of copycat hardware imitators. I don't know who sells the genuine stuff and which one is authentic or which ones are made with cheap substandard parts that probably failed testing to be first grade parts.

>dashcamtalk.com/best-dash-cams-of-2016/

Is there any data on which dashcams get stolen? I find myself leaving the dashcam up on the suction cup because of the trouble to replace it all the time. But I don't want the cheap dashcam to be the reason someone breaks my expensive tinted window.

>I'm not even aware if there's a backup camera dashcam.

Some of the two channel ones with larger screens have the option.

No idea, not even sure if many even get pinched, but if you live in a shitty neighbourhood any thief will look for anything valuable sitting in the open, even some shitty cheap chinese cams look expensive to anyone clueless about them. I like how on the V2 version of the cam I have they removed all the writing and shit to make it look as generic as possible when it's the highest end model they make.

That's called Stealth.

My local high end audio shop does a lot of "stealth" audio installations. The dash looks stealth, but the gear isn't. That way, the car avoids being broken into by criminals looking to strip out flashy gear they see. When they see only factory dash radio, they don't break into the car.

I don't let the power wire dangle in the open for the dashcam that is on a suction cup next to the mirror. The power wire goes across and under the passenger visor, along the edge moulding, down the center pillar trim, and emerges to cross the back side of the passenger seat to the accessory power outlet in the center console. I have enough play in the power wire to allow the passenger seat to slide all the way back.

Keeping the wire not easily visible helps hide the dashcam.

>I don't let the power wire dangle in the open for the dashcam that is on a suction cup next to the mirror

I've spotted other dashcams that way. The long verticle black wire is easy to see cuz it's so far up front.

What is a good dashcam that can be installed in place of the rearview mirror?

why don't cars come with dash cams built in?

Just stick it in the dome light.

YouTube uses an image stabilizer filter to every upload. you have to manually turn that off before dash cam videos will look good

Pre-ordered. Been waiting almost a year, but I think it will be totally worth it.

waylens.com/

This made me laugh hard.. thank you anonemoose

youtube.com/watch?v=DrlzIuwpg3A

>Doppelkupplungsgetriebe

>why don't cars come with dash cams built in?
They are available in current new cars (at least some makes and models) but you have to buy the options package that has it. And a lot of people just don't buy the electronics options packages which has the upgraded factory radio and oem upgraded speakers. That's because they're getting a 3rd party stereo head and amps. Thus, the car ends up without OEM dashcam because it was part of the upgraded factory radio/CD package which the buyer spurned.

That was my case as well. I wanted 3rd party audio gear (head unit, much better speakers, amplifier, subwoofer, and remote controls). It was already a bit bitter to buy the upgraded audio package because that came with the trim and features package. But to get the OEM dashcam, I would have to bought the highest end OEM audio system and its speakers and subwoofer.

Only to throw that money away if I got a 3rd party system.

>They're useless in court and filming while driving is against the Datenschutzgesetz.

I'd just like some type of car cam to record whoever is trying my door handles or leaning against my windows making grease marks. I can then go to the store owner and show him some footage of people trespassing on his property. While it doesn't help me, it will help the next person or maybe the fifth or tenth person down the line when the property owner finally gets fed up with car prowlers bothering his customers.

If no one tries to do anything, more of it will just continue in whatever "community" or society your area has. I like to think of my area as a community where everyone sort of watches out for everyone else.

I have a Mivue 638. Quality is alright, video is from a quick drive last night to grab some food.

youtube.com/watch?v=BWHPHQwBN8o

Comfy

Lack of wide profit margin, likely.

Blackvue 650 dual cam is what I use. I love it but it gets unreliable with hot weather.

>paying hundreds for a dash cam

This was $55 shipped to my front door

It's a carway f30

And that looks like shit.

for $55 it serves its purpose

>I love it but it gets unreliable with hot weather.

You think it is close to overheating in normal weather such that summer weather makes it overheat? If so, then its chinese design was marginal to begin with.

I forget the name of it. It works pretty well. I would upload video of how it does but my plate number is put on the video. In all it cost me $100 for the camera, USB charger, SD card, and USB cable.