Hey Veeky Forums, I was just curious about the Evo 8...

Hey Veeky Forums, I was just curious about the Evo 8. The forums all say it's reliable enough to DD and that there's no real problems aside from regular maintenance. Is this true? Most of me really wants to believe it but something just sounds off about it as I've heard other things as well. I'm making decent money and am looking for a decent performance car around 10-12k as a step up from my V6 mustang I stupidly bought when I turned 16.

It's true. The problem is that you must find one that hasn't been touched by children, poor people who don't maintain it, or basically anyone who even looks like they modify cars and with a Lancer Evolution this is next to impossible.

>Realises V6 mustang is a mistake
>Wants an evo now
Whew lad

Are there certain things that would help me know if it was treated poorly? The closest thing I found to a non modified one was straight piped and the guy was selling it to get a safer car for his son.

Evos if that gen are anything but reliable and have a terrible fuel economy, they are great for cornering but even a v6 mustang can win agains them in a straight line.

You should considered a WRX if you want a 4 door turbo demon, an older M3 or any 2011+ Mustang/Camaro, those are way more reliable.

Evos are fragile and need to be constantly looked after, you can't thrash them like an STi

A last gen Ralliart might be a better choice for a DD, simpler AWD system

>A last gen Ralliart might be a better choice for a DD, simpler AWD system

a last gen raliart used the same drivetrain as evo 8s and 9s dummy

>The car also includes a simplified version of the Evolution X's AWD system, with a simple "mechanical limited slip" rear differential.

as someone who wanted an evo 8 and who currently now owns an evo x

the exterior styling is the best hands down but the interior is going to be less nice than a cobalt ss

Just find one with complete service records and no modifications. You really shouldn't be spending a significant amount of money on cars that don't have service records.
This is a straight up lie.

No u

Get a Soobru

also i bought mine pre modified with basicly a parts list and thats all, but the craftsmanship was there and its rust free and the only thing its needed is some stabil and a battery tender

has this faggot actually proved he owns said evo x, I mean surely isn't leased like the frs right

>DD a Lancer Evo
you must be a masochist who enjoys absorbing every bump and tiniest rock into his ass
i really don't understand people who daily drive performance cars with stiff suspension

you sound buttflustered that inu has yet another cool car and you dont, the only thing stopping you is you

Or just people who can't afford two cars

Post your pics

>has

leasing is not "to have"

>get a worse car

Despite what all of the subiebros and other people who have never touched it in this thread say; the Evo 8 is a fun car with good performance stock and great performance potential.

HOWEVER:
Good luck finding one worth buying. Buying someone else's project is a bad idea unless you're certain everything has been done right.

>"I've never driven a WRX, let alone an STi before.": The Post

>Evos are fragile and need to be constantly looked after, you can't thrash them like an STi
You can't thrash a STi and expect it to be fine without looking after it either.

>A last gen Ralliart might be a better choice for a DD, simpler AWD system
It'd be an entirely different experience. The Ralliart is much easier to daily but it's not an Evo. Even with an ECU reflash it'll still just be a really fast Lancer, not an Evo. Also the automatic mode is horrifically jerky in suburban driving.

>reliable DD
>anything besides a Corolla

Everyone likes to say any kind of sports car is a reliable DD if you keep it maintained. Maintenance only gets you so far if you start to romp on it, at all. The only way any of these cars, whether it be an Evo, STi or anything of the like are reliable is if you stay the speed limit, never even touch over 5 psi and only take it to work and back.

These cars are not race cars out of the factory by any means, but they're also purpose built for doing one thing, and that's to be beat on and fixed when they break. And they will break. Changing the brakes and doing 3k oil changes doesn't save anything, it only prolongs the inevitable.

If you want a reliable DD, get some shitbox Honda or Toyota and never touch it and keep your Evo or whatever for when you wanna have fun.

Should any of this stop you from getting a fun car and DDing it? No, its your money, your decision, I just suggest saving up for a super cheap beater car. Knowing all this didn't stop me from buying a WRX or even building it to have 700 HP. I thought I could have a nice 'reliable' fastish AWD sports car too when i first got it, till I started driving it hard and eventually wanted more out of it.

TL;DR - Buy your Evo, then buy a beater and thank yourself in the end.

It sounds like you want an M3.

An EVO VIII is a great car if you bought it and maintained it perfectly, but a nightmare with 80,000 miles, maintained by idiots.

Buy a BMW if you want other peoples problems. (Source: I have an M3)

depends on what you consider reliable. keep up with the maintenance and fix things when they start to show signs of being worn out and stuff and you it won't really give you any trouble.

i've put nearly 30k miles on mine since i've owned it. driven across the country without trouble. the only parts i've had outright fail are shitty aftermarket parts that shouldn't have been on the car. the engines in these cars are pretty damn solid aside from the noisy lifters.

Sti always loses in head to head comparisons. Only thing the Subaru has on the evo is ride quality

those are really beautiful landscapes

thanks. i want to go back out to montana again so bad.