Custom made floormats

So I have these floormats in my car that I got from a supplier in China. They custom make pleather floormats with contrast diamond stitching for cars. These are made to fit from factory and cover the entire floor as well as a little bit of the wall of the floor (see picture).

In my car it also includes a plastic material carpet for texture and ease of clean ( it can be removed and hosed down and after it is dry, it can be reinstalled). Below the plastic carpet is more diamond stitched pleather. If one chooses to omit the plastic carpet, the pleather can be cleaned with a wipe with a damp towel.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything else like this? If so I would like to know where. If not, how much would you pay for such a product?

As a summary, it covers the entire floor, if the vehicle has rear seats, it covers that flooring too in one big piece made to fit. The pleather and stitching can be any color combination as well. Thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/04/02/alibabas-fake-shoppers-hard-to-beat-us-academics-find/
google.com/search?q=decorative car floor mats
amazon.com/Diamond-Stitched-Pattern-Leatherette-Steering/dp/B00VGR0790
amazon.com/dp/B01DG26QJ2
autoanything.com/floor-mats/proz-metallic-floor-mats
autoanything.com/floor-mats/10A50185.aspx
cardecor.com/car-floor-mat-carpet-auto-decorative/
prettypatterngifts.com/custom-car-mats.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Never seen anything like this, would pay in the 50-80 euros range as long as there's a choice of rather simple colors. Like black with white/light gray stiches

Those color combinations are available. Thank you for the help, I am just trying to see how marketable this product is. I might only be able to sell to high end car owners, I talked to a ford sales rep and he said it probably wont sell well at ford and to maybe try BMW or Mercedes.

>They custom make pleather floormats with contrast diamond stitching for cars.

The problem is that pleather looks terrible once the surface is scuffed through and exposes the puffy plastic underneath. So these things are not suitable for daily or regular use. It is only for when you have guests or are just in a mood to feel like you've customized the car.

another problem is it actually fitting, i wouldnt buy something like this unless its those weathertec ugly bullshit because theres now way the dude laser measured the cabin in china.

>I might only be able to sell to high end car owners

They are not fans of scuffable pleather unless the surface is durable. Otherwise, a diamond-stitched treated leather floor is better in terms of durability and repair. The leather also resists high heels far better than pleather plastic which may get a cut in its surface.

So it's good that it comes with a faux carpet cover to lay over the diamond stitching. Perhaps a different design that allows replacement of just the floor part is good too. Like instead of the carpet, another piece of diamond stitching.

>another problem is it actually fitting, i wouldnt buy something like this unless its those weathertec ugly bullshit because theres now way the dude laser measured the cabin in china.

The chinese wouldn't do any measurement. They just buy one copy of each Weathertec branded floormat or other brand such as those digital measured floormats and COPY THEIR MEASUREMENTS. The chinese rarely spend any money on the research but just copy the work of others.

So to make the product more different from competition, they put a vertical lip on the edges. That can actually be bad though as many parts of the firewall behind the pedals are not smooth, but may have curves. So if they simply copy weathertec or those digital mats, they won't have the measurements for those curved walls. Thus their product will not be all that good fitting onto the wall behind the pedals since there was no data for the chinese to copy. And they surely will not measure it out to start with. Over time, they may cheapskate visit usa dealerships or find people who have purchased usa cars and measure out the curves on the vertical surfaces. But on their first launch, I bet the walls will not be perfect.

I do like the idea behind the product of having the vertical walls to boost the look of the two-color floor material. I'd buy the tonal dark red with black inset. That would be the opposite colors of the picture OP posted. Why? That would be more unique for my red car and importantly, keeps the area under the accelerator pedal black. That is a high wear spot. WIth OP's picture having red there, the scuff marks show up faster in pleather. But if black, it won't show up so much.

>I am just trying to see how marketable this product is. I might only be able to sell to high end car owners,

For marketing, you will want to sell replaceable floor coverings just for the horizontal part. Instead of the carpet, you can sell flat mats that are also diamond stitched.

The main big piece of floormat can be called the "cradle". That is the big piece of mat shown in OP's photograph. The small piece can be called the "bottom mat" or whatever nice name is decided for marketing.

The replaceable small "bottom mat" is also the main piece for the rear floor mats. Having something for the rear is also necessary in high end cars. People will notice mismatching floor mats right away. At least I do.

If it is front mats only, I would pay only $40 because it is a broken set. If it has both front and back, then I'd pay $75 to $80 for the set if it came with one extra set of flat mats instead of the carpet mats.

For rainy or muddy weather, you should also sell an option of colored rain mats. These have no stiching but have raised edges to hold any pooled water in them. Rich people still cannot avoid wet pavement.

hay guys how much would you pay for my cheap shit?!!?!?!??!?!!?!?

NO ONE WANTS YOUR CHEAP CHINESE SHIT MATS

>I am just trying to see how marketable this product is.

Before you sell your product, you have to be positioned for reviews. A lot of people don't buy until after reading reviews. You can sell thru Amazon but they take a big cut. At that rate, you'd do better with an ebay shop since they handle a lot of the payment front end dealing for you.

>NO ONE WANTS YOUR CHEAP CHINESE SHIT MATS

Yes they do. All the nice floormats I have seen are made in China or use Chinese materials with just the final assembly done in the usa for that "made in usa" label. So it's okay for OP to sell the materials provided he has confidence in their quality. He just needs to pay the South China Seas fake islands tax (just kidding).

Even the expensive electronics, GM parts, Ford parts, Chrysler parts are made in China.

There is a lot of great stuff from China. Unfortunately, there is also a lot of crap and poor QC. Look at how Harbor Freight has a lot of stuff that in inaccurate such as their torque wrenches or multimeters. Makes you wonder if their feeler gauges and micrometers are correct.

Plastic parts purity is the problem from China. Colored materials might use lead acetate. So those who like to put bare feet on their fancy leaded pleather mats might decide to keep their shoes on after all. Chinese-made zippers can have a lot of lead in them which is what makes for zippers that get smelly fast. Etcetera.

What would doom a product is some consumer takes a lead test kit and checks it. Then they can show the material to their state attorney general for law enforcement according to lead pollution laws in products. Or a swatch of material can be sent to a test lab. If OP isn't careful, he might find out his chinese supplier got him into trouble with lead pollution laws.

Good idea for another piece of diamond stitching, I will keep that in mind!

I am not sure how they get their measurements, I would assume from already selling to previously recorded cars, I will do research on that. When I bought mine, my car was obviously not in China so they did not have my car on hand but I gave them the make, model, and model year and they were able to make it a very good fit.

are you referring to the "bottom mat" as the plastic carpet part? And the "cradle" as the diamond stitched part? And there is available matching floormats for the rear as well and is made in one giant piece. I have it fitted on the families 2013 RX350 in black leather with beige/gold stitching. Another option is to have the rear trunk area also lined in diamind stitched leather with or without the plastic carpeting.

I will look into selling low volume for reviews, I have also been in talks with local dealerships and there is interest.

I will look into the materials used in making these floor mats.

>So I have these floormats in my car that I got from a supplier in China.

How much did you originally pay for yours after shipping?

I didn't ship them because I got them while I was in China and just stuffed them into my luggage. I got a set for my slk250 and rx350 for a total of about $120. This was already with a discount because I knew the supplier and can probably get a better price if I do business with him.

Wow, that sounds expensive for China though. If you bought them in the tourist sections of China, prices are high. But in non tourist sections of china, the government lets things run down more and doesn't bother with image problems. The prices of the same things are much lower in those parts of the country.

A friend found a chinese bride. So he of course took a pilgrimage back to China to meet the parents and other relatives. He talked about the big differences in parts of china where westerners frequent and the other parts of china that westerners are still infrequent. One thing he talked about was the big differences in prices. But I got more hung up with his talk about food preparation cleanliness at that time. Made me sort of want to carry a ton of nonperishable cans of spam and eat just that instead. I haven't gone to China yet. Been to Japan multiple times and still more to explore there.

>are you referring to the "bottom mat" as the plastic carpet part? And the "cradle" as the diamond stitched part?

Yes. An advantage of having the bottom mat replaceable is that the overall longevity is maintained. But you probably don't want to mention anything about replacement as it wears out since that has a slight negative feeling. Instead, talk about additional compatible designs being available for the floor mat with the replaceable stylish diamond weave overlay choices.

That is positive marketing. It would also help you sell the idea to resellers like dealerships. The problem is that all those other places want 42% markup or more on slow selling items. Thus, if the target price was $120, you'd have to sell them to the dealer at $50 or so. But for you to then make a profit, you have to buy at much lower price than $50 after shipping costs and duties for importing goods from china. There are duties you know for business imports.

That's why being a reseller yourself cuts out that stupid 42% markup that eats your profit into the negative range. Your maker may also decide to sell on one of those online marketplaces where many chinese businesses already sell goods. ALIBABA is one such place but there are others.

I suggest you check out any competitors there.

Remember that rain occurs. A purely flat mat will just have the water pool on both sides of the flat "bottom mat" or carpet. Thus you not only have to wash both sides of the removable piece, but also wash or wipe the big piece of pleather. Or else the grit will increase the rate of wear.

The problem can be reduced by having the small bottom mat piece have a raised edge lip. It doesn't have to be much. Just a bulge up or something to try keeping the rain water in the middle of the mat. Then that mat can be taken out and rinsed off.

Anyways, it would be good to think about the problems of wet shoes.

That price may be because they do not do volume. They do them as a per item basis and i can see that hiking up the price. For my personal floormats I was in a rush and had them cut and stitched overnight so that might have contributed to the price. My supplier tells me he sells them in china for over $200 a set.

Thanks for the input. I will discuss with the supplier about having the bottom mat also be a diamond stitched layer, it should not be a problem. I have been in talks with dealerships and that seems like the most direct sale but as you stated, the problem is loss of profits. Reselling it myself works but I am new in this industry and am unsure how to get the word out. I will do tests for water, I live in Southern California so perhaps that wont be too much of a problem here.

You need to find a good price point to sell the items too. The written description also matters a great deal because there are different types of faux leather from China. So if you use words thinking that everyone has the same dictionary as you do, that can result in misunderstandings.

Earlier in the thread, someone seemed to think that these products were of the chinese puffy fake leather variety. That is a material about 4 to 5 millimeters thick made of a firm spongy material with a leather texture surface. There is a different chinese faux leather product that is more like suede all the way through the product. This is more like a matted clump of fibers but with a suede finish on the outside. Then there are very thin suede finishes that are glued to some sort of thick substrate material such as a mat of air-woven fibers. I'm sure there are other types.

So when you use terms like pleather, other people might not have the right idea. They have their own experiences of what faux leather, plastic leather, or fake leather means for chinese products.

how long is production time for each unit?

how many units can be made per day?

Unknown at the moment. Just gauging interest right now. In my personal experience I had two sets customized and made within a day. Went in and ordered in the afternoon and it was ready the next morning.

do they ship to america?

That will be a requirement yes. Have not worked the details yet. Need to discuss with my contacts in china about shipping.

>That will be a requirement yes. Have not worked the details yet. Need to discuss with my contacts in china about shipping.

You many eventually lose control of the business as the maker's name and address becomes known to all the clients. Someone will contact them directly sooner or later.

Also, if shipping is done directly from the maker in china, the duties will need to be arranged ahead of time and separately for each customer. If they were all shipped to you for re-shipment to customers, then there would be only one duty. The maker could also start including advertisements and fliers and other info with the shipments. If that happens, you run the risk of customers would simply order replacement floor pads direct from the maker instead of thru you.

I'm not saying this will happen. It is just something to keep an eye upon because many other american companies have been blindsided in the past. And you are much smaller and of limited scope than those companies who tried to use chinese manufacturing and then were side-stepped by the chinese maker selling direct to consumers by registering its own american company LLC name.

The only way to maintain your business identity with consumers is to ship from your location and keep the manufacturing side away from the consumers.

You also need to spend more time checking on the true cost of manufacturing these things. Computer-driven sewing machines are amazingly cheap and fast. My local sewing machine shop even has them in the window. They can sew these diamond shaped stictches on tablecloth-sized items (the sewing machine table is that big). It has sensors to auto detect the edges of the material, so it can create stitched rolled edges AFTER it does the diamond stitches in order to hide the endpoints of the stitches at the edge of the material.

So it isn't that much about sewing labor. You can probably look up the cost of such machines at your local sewing machine shop.

If you were able to obtain the raw material yourself in big rolls, that would be the biggest profit once you learn how to set up a machine. Then you'd measure out the material sizes for each major vehicle. Or cheat by looking at examples of Digital or other branded mats with custom-fitted sizes.

You might get the dimensions simply by looking through patents for various floormats created for cars. Who knows?

>If you were able to obtain the raw material yourself in big rolls

That means looking through places like ALIBABA or whatever other chinese company marketplace exchanges exist. It's just that alibaba has an english interface. But if OP is chinese and speaks the language, then finding out other things is much more possible.

But I certainly would not buy these at $200 each since I am not one of the wealthy upscale clients. I'd still like to buy one though. But at the $80 max pricepoint, I wouldn't even meet OP's cost since the chinese seller charges $120 and that is a pretty high price when it comes to goods made in china. So the profit margin is gigantic for the chinese maker selling them even at $120 each.

>Computer-driven sewing machines are amazingly cheap and fast.

Bernina is what my local quilting club uses to make quilts.

The $120 was for two sets total for a slk250 and an rx350. So one set could potentially be in the ballpark of $60

Ahh, sorry, my mistake then on assuming such a high sourcing price.

The chinese maker sold two sets to you for $120 which is basically $60 for a set of mats. Yet he says they sell for$200 normally? I think he was giving you highball numbers to try driving the prices higher.

I don't believe he would lie because the maker is a good friend of my cousins. He also owns a car wash business and gives my cousin free car washes.

>But I certainly would not buy these at $200 each since I am not one of the wealthy upscale clients

The thing is, rich clients would pay $199 for these. They are used to lots of the better things in life. Those things typically come with high price tags that have no logical connection to the cost of materials they were made from.

For people like you and me, we look at value. But rich people look at the styling and cachet that such products would give to their car and thus to them. So the workmanship should be good and importantly, the floor mat part of the product shouldn't show up scuff marks from high heels.

If it is soft synthetic material that cuts easily from a woman's heel, then an inlay can be made from a different material. Or the replaceable "bottom mat" can be made of tougher material that doesn't cut from heels. The nice thing is that these different bottom mats can all be part of compatible product styling. The owner can thus change the look of his product somewhat to fit the occasion or situation.

>The thing is, rich clients would pay $199 for these.

Not if they don't know the product exists AND they also need to see pictures of it from multiple angles.

Many great products succeed at the beginning because of marketing. Once a great idea is revealed, it has to get a good foothold quickly or someone else can copycat it or even take it away from the original inventor.

The chinese have done that to many a usa inventor by copycatting and then flooding the market with far lower-priced versions. The original maker then goes out of business. It's a good profitable way for chinese makers, but it's certainly ruthless abuse of copyrights and patents. It's why the TPP and other such treaties keep getting play.

Other Veeky Forums threads have mentioned the problem of counterfeit automobile parts. All done for profit by pirates of course. Mismarked bolts, bad metal hardnesses and purities. Lots of problems.

He doesn't have any competitors for these products? If he does, you should study what they do to get customers. Or maybe they have ebay shops already.

>I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything else like this?

It's not on Amazon with this type of look. All that exists are those Digital type floormats which are quite boring. While available for my car, I'd rather have your two tone color scheme.

The diamond weave is a nice touch, but it makes the floormats LEAKY since water and other fluids can leak through the holes. That is a problem, right? If I was reviewing them, I'd say these were floormat pretenders because who wants LOL floormats LOL that leak all the water into your car anyways. And the water under the mat will sit there and never dry out but Rot Rot Rot Germ Rot Mold Rot Bacteria Mold Rot Rust Rust.

Because leaky mats probably don't get removed, this would create rot and rust problems where none existed before.

Well, there's Amazon. Zero Competitors. But selling there means they take a big cut out of the price. And some amazon buyers are pretty honest with their reviews which is good for a well-thought out product. But bad if the product has any flaws.

Alibaba: Can you overcome the language barrier?

TaoBao: Can you overcome the language barrier. This is also OP's nemesis site because it has very lax counterfeiting protections.

Tmall: Better than TaoBao against counterfeits but still has problems.

Good ideas tend to get copied in the chinese manufacturing marketplace without regard for patents or copyrights. One battery manufacturer that became popular in the west got seven more copycat factories making copies of their batteries including the label and logo. But the products sucked balls. Those products piggybacked upon the true manufacturer and would even direct any product complaints or returns to the original true maker. How is that for dirty counterfeiting? Due to corruption, the true maker has been unable to shut down the pirate factories. The lawsuits got bogged down in delays. Maybe they need to pay bigger bribes? Or the pirates have political protection from patrons they give a cut of profits to. What a time to be a judge.

It may be risky to buy from a competitor. So perhaps OP has a lock on sales if there is a USA-side website.

Juhuasuan mall

JD.Com is alibaba's competitor

Alibaba companies, Tmall, and TaoBao have problems with user reviews and ratings. Many are fake. The concept over there is called "brushing" as described in the Wall Street Journal blog.

blogs.wsj.com/digits/2015/04/02/alibabas-fake-shoppers-hard-to-beat-us-academics-find/

In a November article from China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency, Alibaba Vice President Yu Weimin was quoted as saying that the company had found that 1.2 million sellers on its main Taobao shopping site—or roughly 17% of all merchants—had faked 500 million transactions worth 10 billion yuan in 2013. Mr. Yu said those transactions were “only the tip of the iceberg” and his “conservative estimate” was that tens of thousands of people in China were helping online sellers fake transactions, according to the article.

I was wondering where to get those!

Just came back from a vacation in China, all my relatives and their friends had these custom-fitted diamond-stitched floormats in perfect clean condition in all their cars. I never bothered asking where they're from, but it's definitely a "thing" in China. Don't know why we don't see them in the states, they look decent and keep your shit pristine underneath.

For those OCD enough, totally marketable. Hell I want a clear vinyl wrap on my car to avoid scratches.

This is my uncle's garage WEW LAD

>If I was reviewing them, I'd say these were floormat pretenders because who wants LOL floormats LOL that leak all the water into your car anyways. And the water under the mat will sit there and never dry out

Nice catch of a particular weakness of diamond stitching that goes all the way through the floormat. In practice, car owners leave the mat in the car and don't remove them every day. Because users leave the mat in the car, any liquid leaking through the holes in the mat will be slow to dry.

Solution #1 of 3 choices:
The solution is to have a thin opaque rubber adhesive painted on the reverse side to seal it.

Solution #2 of 3 choices:
The solution is to not worry about it and admit that the beauty of these means it is best suited for dry weather use. But if rain water comes in from shoes, these should be taken out of the car to be rinsed so that the grit is not on their surface. Then set the aside to dry. Taking them out will let the car's OEM carpet dry off too. Hopefully enough. Ahem.

Solution #3 of 3 choices:
An all weather version can be made which is less pretty unless the "bottom mat" with the diamond weave is also used. In this version, the bottom and 1/4 inch of the side walls closest to the bottom do not have the stitching. That makes the whole bottom and 1/4 inch high wall impenetrable by water. But it won't have that beautiful stitching which is the "gimmick" behind the beauty of this floor mat. But adding the separate mat with the stitching would mostly fix this problem as long as the bottom mat lies flat and smooth so that it looks like it is part of the entire floormat.

The better looking solution is to have a waterproof liner or transparent coating on the bottom so the stitch holes don't leak water through them.

Picture: JLIST of J-list.com making bootleg t-shirts and selling them. Not included are bootleg dakimakura from j-list

>all my relatives and their friends had these custom-fitted diamond-stitched floormats in perfect clean condition in all their cars.

So there is probably a bunch of different makers of these floormats.

Do you think they are water-tight even though the stitching thread goes through the floormat in so many places?

>Just came back from a vacation in China
Since these floor mats are widespread across China, that means there must be multiple manufacturers of these things along with different styles. Can you do a search with one of the chinese search engines and find some reliable sellers?

Check Alibaba first since it is english-like.

>Don't know why we don't see them in the states
-- have to be made of lead-free materials
-- meet various safety standards
-- diamond stitch thread leaves holes so it's perceived as being leaky
-- high price means consumer brick&mortar stores don't carry it

google.com/search?q=decorative car floor mats

Amazon.com has carried diamond stitched seat covers from china in the past. One complaint was that the stitching lasted only a number of weeks before pulling out. I assume that seat cover prices will be compared to floor mat prices, so the seat covers are listed here for price comparison.

Monochromatic diamond-stitch leatherette seat covers for $58
amazon.com/Diamond-Stitched-Pattern-Leatherette-Steering/dp/B00VGR0790

Dual-color PLeather for $99
amazon.com/dp/B01DG26QJ2

autoanything.com/floor-mats/proz-metallic-floor-mats

Seems free shipping is typical:
autoanything.com/floor-mats/10A50185.aspx

cardecor.com/car-floor-mat-carpet-auto-decorative/

prettypatterngifts.com/custom-car-mats.html

OP still has the superior unique two tone color, high walls, and diamond stitching that makes it look nice. If the stitching is polyester thread, it should be replaced with UV sensitive nylon polymer thread. Then a nearly invisible blacklight LED under the dash will light up the stitching.

Anyone find another source of diamond weave floor mats? Having them fitted to the car is the nice part. But I don't know how they can do it for mine since it has curved (wavy) sides on the console and firewall. Maybe their method is to buy the cheapest DigitalFit mat (as a template) for cars they cannot measure in person. That would make the price higher.

No one visited Alibaba and found floor mat sellers?

Some of the decorative floor mats are not much more than oversized mousepads that are trimmed to fit. That's why they can print pictures onto them or customize floor mats where you can give them your design.

I will keep that in mind, thank you!

I have not found any direct competitors.

Please see pic related for the bottom of the mat, it is not stitched all the way through as there is a different material that is there to grip the floor of the car. I am unsure if it is truely waterproof, I will need to do tests. Either way, this material should be able to be easily changed in the future.

Your uncle has a sweet garage!

Thanks for the idea of UV sensitive thread, I will keep it in mind for future improvements!

What is the model year, make, and model of your car?

>What is the model year, make, and model of your car?

It's a 2016 new car I just bought, but the make and model doesn't matter to you right now unless you have a way to send the measurements to the maker to have it made. For the sake of the rest of this post, let's say you are the maker of the floormat. I am "you" collecting the orders. I tell you that I need two sets of Product A in two-tone black/red, 4 sets of Product D in all red with black light nylon thread, and one Pro

As you noticed, you cannot easily use my measurements to create your own shop because you only know the name A, B, C, D, E, F, G, etc. You don't know if it is for Tesla S, Ford Mustang 1966, or Chevy F150 King Cab.

*continued*
"...blacklight nylon thread, and one Product H blue/light-blue"

Now, with that grid marking system, you are able to communicate to him those points on the grid. He can then enter those points into his grid sewing machine. I am assuming he makes the diamond weave using a computer-driven machine that can handle a large piece of horizontal fabric on a table. I see those machines here in the USA at the local sewing machine shop. Quilt makers use them in their "hobby" where they also sell artistic quilted blankets and coverlets for beds.

Anyways, after he gets the points entered, his machine sews the holes for the outline of the piece but WITHOUT THREAD. That makes a lot of holes in the fabric. He can now use scissors to cut out that fabric. That piece of fabric is now the TEMPLATE for all future Product A. Repeat for product B, C, D, E, etcetera.

You might say A and C are fords. B and H are Chevrolet. D and L are BMW. Then A1 could be 1990 to 1995 ford F150 truck. A2 could be 1966 to 1968 mustang 4 door, etc. Or you can have a better naming system. By using multiple letters, you prevent your labeling system from being guessed. Or you can make it random as long as you don't lose your master sheet of definitions. A1 is 1966 ford mustang, A2 is 2016 chevy malibu, A3 is 2013 Lexus 460, etc.

You might need finer reported measurements than 1 to 100 but that should be good enough for automobile fitting. As for the amount of varying slope on the vertical walls, I leave that to you to figure out. Hopefully, this way of obtaining measurements is better than what the maker is using now to get measurements. If it is not as good, then use his method instead of my suggestion.

As for me, I have a 2016 Chevy Malibu (red color) so the red and black floor mats look good for my car like in your original picture but with the mat red with black inlay. The seats are mostly charcoal black so that makes an interesting contrast to red mats.

What method does your floor mat maker use to measure mat sizes? You will need some method to measure mat sizes of cars you find as time permits.

I asked a supplier and what they do is use paper to cover the floor of the car, cut and tape that till it is a good fit, and then use that paper as a guide to cut the leatherette material.

Simple approach is best in this case.

If you don't have the template for the customer car, does that mean you'll find some way to visit a friendly (to you) car dealership and obtain measurements? If your business does take off, you'll have to see if there are any car dealerships in your area willing to let you open a car door and take some measurements.

Is it too risky to let the customer make a template for his car? That would be three of them since both front passenger footwells are different and the rear footwells are a mirror flip of just the section cut out near the centerline.

If you can't visit dealers to make your own measurements from their cars, then the other way is to have lots of local customers so that you can check out their cars and make measurements in person. If you do that for about fifty different customer cars, chances are that will be the great majority of cars out there. Thus, your future customers can use those templates as well provided that you have an idea if other year's models have the same dimensions.

That means going to either a public library that subscribes to the online version of alldata, haynes, or chilton repair manuals AND if those manuals have dimensions listed. If the dimensions for year 2015 is the same as 2014, and 2013 (but not 2012 and older), you can mark that on the template.

My supplier has provided me of a list of cars they have measurements for and it seems it should cover a vast majority of cars. If they do not have preexisting measurements the supplier has informed me that if the car is available in china they can get the measurements, I assume they already have relationships with dealerships there. However, if the car is not available in china they would not be able to help.

I would have to either turn away the customer or get the measurement myself somehow.

Seems like you're getting close to selling something then. You just need a payment system which is why so many people just give a chunk of their revenue to eBay or Amazon.