Toyota MR2 Roadster 2000-2005

Eurofag here, looking to buy his first REAL car.
Seriously considering a Toyota MR2 right now, they are light which contributes to low taxes and cheap insurance, but it still has plenty of power for me. Anyone that has experience owning a 2000-2005 MR2 (Roadster)?
The goods and the bads?
Specific things to look at (apart from the pre cats and the Hose from Hell)? What mileage should i look at max?

what makes this car more real than your last one

Well, my last car was a 1999 VW Polo stationwagon. It was ugly, no fun to drive and the emissions were almost the same as an MR2 without any of the horsepower.

Cars might be originated as a method of transport, but anyone that likes/loves cars does sorta expect more of his/her car.

No one that has any experience with this car?

Bump

nice Boxster

Uh yeah sure, just like a Boxster.
Except for the engine, the logo, most of the looks and the price tag that is.

Bumping for interest. Lots of 5-speeds in my area. Are the 6-speed manuals worth holding out for?

with any car like this, i'd say manual > automatic

They were 6-speed manual was a mid-cycle update added option to the 5-speed manual available since the beginning. Like the NB Miata. I'm just trying to see which tranny is better.

why not an aw11?

They only exist in Britain, Japan and the US.

Because aside from being a fun car, it will probaby be my daily car as well.
The older models such as AW11 are really cool, but less practical (and more expensive) when used for greater mileages.

Also, seeing as i have to get up early for work and it's already midnight here, i'm going off.
If anyone joins this thread that has experience with owning and driving a 2000-2005 MR2, please e-mail me at [email protected].

An AW11 has actual storage space you know.
SW20 would be best as a daily.

It's the SW20 that has the HFH and HFHOE (oil feed and return lines to turbo), not the spyder

[spoiler]test[/spoiler]

[SPOILER] more tests [/SPOILER]

[SPOILER]lasttest[/SPOILER]

Owned one for s year, s 2000 model. 1zz burns oil like a absolute bitch. Fun car but wow that oil

I believe these have the same engines as the Celica. So get one with a 2ZZ.

1zz only from the factory, but a 2zz drops right in. These are lighter and even more go karty than an aw11, only drawback is the lack of luggage space. Fantastic car otherwise.

shouldn't they only burn oil when the cylinders are badly damaged cause of the whole ''ceramic pieces into cylinder walls because of EGR'' problem? As far as i understood from the MR2 forums, this car should, at least by default NOT be using up oil.

Any argumentation as to why an SW20 would be better as a daily car?
Far as i'm concerned, it is just an older and heavier model which makes it more expensive in both ways.

It's a good car. Mileage doesn't matter all that much as long as the engine isn't fucked

Because it can carry things AND people at the same time, not just one of the two exclusively.

My girlfriend has a car that can fit 5 passengers, and besides that i don't really have anyone to take along except for my gf some days. Mainly it's gonna be my work + fun car, i might take home the occasional groceries with me but i really am not in the need for a lot of space. But how about when looking at monthly costs, maintenance + insurance + taxes which one would be the better option then, 2000+ MR2 or an SW20? I'd be honestly very surprised if it was the latter.

You'll look like a fag t b h
aw11/sw20 all the way.

>no pop-ups
>no front trunk
>looks like a bar of soap
>no aftermarket
>least desired of all mr2's

sure go for it op

I used to own a AW11. Regret selling it but I had no space to keep it. If you know you'll be able to live with the lack of storage space, go for it

AW11 has a small frunk, a small trunk, and some space behind the seats.
SW20 has a decent-sized trunk, a small frunk, and space behind the seats.

the ZZW30 has space behind the seats. Thats it.

get it you faggot

I bought my ex one right before she broke up with me

I miss it

I also vote for an AW11. I've been dailying mine for 3 years with no issues. It's a Toyota so it will last forever if you can change the oil.

If you're gonna get an MR2, get an AW11 or SW20.

ZZW30 a shit.