/evn/ - English Visual Novels

We literally can't take action to save our own lives.

Thread for discussing English language visual novels and their development.

Do you have a question about an originally-Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=42

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3jw-z4KVw&oref=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3jw-z4KVw&has_verified=1
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=40256
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21981
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40275
ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=40256&start=15
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

tiddies

good job OP, you're not a baka like the last one

What's the point of these threads if no one is posting progress?

Look at

I used to post progress, but I've spent the summer being too far up my own ass to do anything useful.

are there any GOOD evns at all?

Yes. Mine.

Still no Africa.

>as it stands it seems to me like you're either hating on/ trying to troll her which is very uncool mate.

Goddamnit I fucking hate it when someone gives honest advice and critique and someone calls it "trolling" just because they don't agree with it. What a pussy.

Taosym may be right, but he is being an autistic cunt about it. Nobody is going to listen to an autistic cunt, and nobody should.

If you really want people to care about your message, don't smear the envelope with poo.

stuck in the middle with you

Oh, I see. I don't even know who that is.
That little tracing shit is irritating, though.

>his patreon
>$0 of $2,000 per month
kekkaroonie
though I guess I'd be touchy around plagiarism if my MC and antagonists looked like FSN fusion fanart

We should probably rename this thread Visual Novel Development General. Does anyone here even discuss other EVNs except to trashtalk their developers?

every now and again, which you'd know if you were here longer than 2 weeks amigo

Sometimes, especially since they get chased out of other threads if they want to talk about them.

What is the I Wanna Be the Guy of EVNs?

ladykiller in a bind

>what would a new forum accomplish that Veeky Forums and LSF doesn't already?
Also, having threaded discussion makes it easier for discussion to happen on multiple topics simultaneously, there will be sometimes when I scroll through this thread and see topics that I might interject on, but the posts are a day old and 100 posts back, so it feels like the thread has "moved on" from that topic and I don't bother to comment anymore.

Is The Cat Lady basically an english VN?

game about constantly dying to unfair bullshit? definitely LLTQ

Surely it wouldn't take long to set up one of those all-in-one forums for someone and see whether the concept has potential or not.

>so it feels like the thread has "moved on" from that topic and I don't bother to comment anymore.
That's much more of a problem on forums than on an image board like Veeky Forums.

No matter how old a discussion is, if you post then it will be inserted directly into the current conversation. On a forum, people are more likely to ignore new contributions to old threads or whine about necro'ing.

>an english VN

clearly the answer is that we need better forum software that has a front page ("feed") that resembles a general like /evn/ that shows you all of the latest posts in the forum while actually having a back-end with threaded comments like reddit or HN so that they can mute or subscribe to specific threads to either hide replies in these threads from their personalized feed or elevate them

then after threads get "archived" you can view the threaded version of the discussion so you can see the logical order in which everything happened

someone make this happen

so, pre-catalog Veeky Forums?

o god
why
youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3jw-z4KVw&oref=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl3jw-z4KVw&has_verified=1

actually, yeah. though, maybe a system that gives visibility to specific posts in a thread (like ones from users that you've decided to "follow" or maybe a voting system like reddit except comment scores are invisible) rather than the ones that just happen to be the most recent.

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=40256
Should we call that tracer to our tracer thread?

>our
Fuck off.

lemma forums giving the best drama since 2003

>amateur artist denies tracing
>best drama
no wonder EVN writing is so bad

Sigh

Catch Canvas is coming out on September 16th. This vn was a collaboration between Unwonted Studios and Razz. Honestly, I'm not really hyped about it, because of how No One But You turned out.

Nah, Tao might be a little blunt about it, but what he's saying really is for that person's own good. He has no stake in this, so merely taking the time to inform them of their wrongdoing could be considered sympathy. They're blatantly lying about not tracing and if they decide to brush him off and keep going with that, it is going to royally screw them, and whoever they work with, over at some point.

Human beings are not very receptive to being called out in public and talked down to by a smug asshole. We are not robots who only process the word of the message and not the spirit.

If Tao actually wanted the person to learn anything or listen to what he had to say, then he fucked up. More than likely, though, he just wanted to shit on someone.

>implying there's anything wrong with shitting on cheats and tracers
laughing_d/ic/ks.jpg
granted, they're probably a literal child, but you gotta beat some sense into them while you still can

>zero reading comprehension: the post

And another poster posted proof it was traced, because the line art is an exact match when placed over the screenshot from the anime.

>being called out in public
This isn't really something you can try and deal with behind the scenes since people can, and apparently are, being duped. They needed to not only be called out, but called out in a way that served as a warning to any potential buyers.
Personally, I also didn't really see any vitriol or self-righteousness in Tao's post, so I'm not sure where the whole "he just wants to shit on someone" is coming from.

>address person in PM
>if they lie/ignore you or seem shady, PM a mod
>mod addresses person in PM
>if they lie/ignore them, mod makes post in thread and then locks it
>problem dealt with fairly and professionally
Seems pretty simple desu

I don't think lemma mods ban tracers.

Well, I didn't say anything about banning.

Why don't they, though? To give the tracer a chance to redeem themselves, or just laziness?

The person can just make up a new persona and do the same thing again. It's like how Onmiknight AKA Jiro keeps coming back. Involving mods is actually pretty pointless.

>I also didn't really see any vitriol or self-righteousness in Tao's post
me neither. like i said before i'm pretty sure dfbreezy posts here

>I'm not going to waste my time beyond this, you could either learn this lesson the easy way, or the hard way.
And again, the public nature of it. There are infinitely more professional and beneficial ways of handling the situation.

If you really want them to learn from the experience, then don't be an ass about it. If you think they're a scumbag and you just want to shut them down, then don't engage them.

>i'm pretty sure dfbreezy posts here
The cuck with the Gil avatar who posted
>P.s I called Hayel 'she' because that the impression i got. i don't know their gender so read it with whichever pronoun you want.
? I'd rather die.

>And again, the public nature of it. There are infinitely more professional and beneficial ways of handling the situation.
If by 'professional' you mean 'covering up all wrongdoings by people just because they charge money and damaging a company is so much worse than letting a company rip people off'

>locking the thread and posting a public explanation of why after questioning the artist in private
>covering things up
user my dude my friend
please

>question the artist, who delays and hems and haws and refuses to admit guilt
>idiots pay artist to do 'work'
>give up on talking to artist and PM a moderator to explain the issue
>moderator takes a week to get back to you
>more idiots pay artist
>eventually a mod deletes the thread, saying nothing

there's a time for privately approaching someone, but is obviously some delusional tracer that time?

>>locking the thread and posting a public explanation of why after questioning the artist in private
>>eventually a mod deletes the thread, saying nothing
just read, my bud

In that case there is no point in trying to engage them.

>In that case there is no point in trying to engage them.
yes there is

I can read, sweetheart. You seem to have a strange idea that Veeky Forums is an LSF mod capable of actually doing that, rather than having to punt it to someone else and wait around hoping that they resolve things in the manner you prefer.

>delusional
>obviously lying
What's the point then?

>You seem to have a strange idea that Veeky Forums is an LSF mod capable of actually doing that
Literally what? We're talking about people who post there.

Was Sakura Shrine Girls everything I'd hoped it would be?

yes, it has revolutionized the genre

bumpskis

lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=21981

>that Suzuha clone
wew

Sounds like Tao's been busy.

>A new DLC route is in the works for #MenagerieVN ! Look forward to more info at the end of the month! @MangaGamer

>Coming along with the #MenagerieVN DLC will be the Menagerie Script/Code Fixes and Art quality bump available for everyone.

>We'll also have some more info in the coming days regarding #StargazersVN release.

>#TRDtoko patch is pretty ready now, we're waiting to deploy it with VA DLC.

Wait

Death waits for no one.

Does this thread contain only shit talking?

obviously not there's bumping and vague allusions to getting work done in greentext

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=40256
>Thank you both for supporting me. And yeah I am a girl.
:^)

I want to do a short project for practice, but have no story ideas. I can do the art, writing, music, and coding myself, so if anyone wants to throw out or collectively cobble together a concept for a very small-scale VN, I'd be happy to try and make it a reality.

White knights are shit.
Tracers are worse.
White knights that defend tracers are scum.

read more/watch more movies/play more games.

>lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=40275
>10 opened positions
Okay, who's joining?
I'm in!

>I want you to make my game for absolutely nothing

Yeah nah

Looking for a Japanese translation with voice actors before you've even written the English is maybe the biggest red flag you can wave.

I sure hope this person is underage, this is the only excuse for these delusions

cun't survive

>Communication will be mainly via Ryver, and sometimes email if need be.

REE

Tell me, why Ryver is bad?

lol
i'll believe it when i see it

Hey /evn/, anybody know any good ways to draw route maps besides the ones listed in the OP? I'm not a terribly big fan of them.

>calls someone out on tracing
>draws carbon copy of famous character

I have no idea if Ryver is actually good, but their marketing is the most obnoxious thing I've ever seen.

I prefer paper

B-but, slack is really shitty, worse than ICQ pre-2003

>muh slack
>muh skype
>muh communication
reee fucking normies, just use emails

>ryver.com/ryver-vs-slack/
Oh boy.
There's "Ryver Overview" video at the end.
BUT This video has been removed by the user.

Have you ever made progress with emails?

ugh, everyone wants me to use slack at the moment, and they'll probably be over it and demanding something else soon enough
I make progress with email all the time.

post it here then

>Chads now bullying nerd manlets even in marketing campaigns

What's a chad?

> lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=40256&start=15
>Hey hey now everyone stop being so rude to her! I know her personally and I know that she never traces out anything.

the gift just keeps on giving

a natural enemy of Wojak and robots

Hopefully it's gonna stop giving soon, I'm reporting that thread to the mods, which is what everyone should have done in the first place since "no I'm not" is always what these cunts default to and gullible people suck up to them.

What a party pooper

To me it was fun until Tao stepped in. From that point on, nothing can compare and as expected nothing did. It was just beta shitters hoping they'd get pussy.

>I DON'T do:
>1) Yori or Yaoi
>Yori

obviously they mean sumo

>mods
>s

there's like one