Automatic or Manual Transmission?

Which is less expensive to maintain in a car?

manual if you can drive.

>manual
$1000 clutch job anywhere from 60-200k miles

>automatic
$5000 transmission rebuild after 150k miles

No point to manual if its just a daily driver

no point to your shitty opinions

Why do americans prefer automatics then?

Driving an automatic is emasculating, especially if there was a manual option.

Why not? That's a very baseless claim.

Because they are lazy and not interested in cars

cause it's hard shifting gears with a tub of lard in your right hand

well manuals are cheaper and if you can drive you will get better mpg too. the only auto I would consider is DCT.

This thread alreads departed from the topic and become opinion statements portrayed as facts

Trash

Bootyblasted autocuck

You're going to compare the answers from two different threads or what?

Tbh, i didn't know Veeky Forums existed before someone told me at /g/. This board is more relative to my question but most answers aren't.

Because it's fucking impossible to find manuals here.

they can't get it into first gear because the shifter hits their belly

Both will last if you don't fuck it up, but manuals are less complex ergo they cost less to fix when something goes wrong.

eh but manuals wear out. everyone who has driven a bugeye wrx knows this.
a rebuild would make both the auto and manual more happy after 200k miles i guess.

This guy gets it

Automatics are ez to drive. My daily is my mother's civic (18 y/o going to uni this fall dw) and it requires nothing on my end. Literally could drive that shit asleep. But a manual car is more fun. It's something I'd like to have in my own car, a manual transmission. I've driven a standard before and it's quite difficult to get started but shifting gears isn't hard. You just have to practice and I can't practice when I don't own a manual car.

This especially if it's a car you want

Say your automatic needs rebuilding, can you rebuild it as a manual or does the whole thing need to come out?

kill yourself

Depends on the shitbox and the transmission that is in said shitbox.

My clutch on my civic was 200 dollars. I can pick up a 4r70w from a junkyard for the same price.

Or my hombres clutch on his m6 was 3000 dollars. Or the automatic on my hombres Mercedes is 7000 dollars.

So yeah it really depends.

The debate continues from /g/

>can't get it into first gear
>shifter hits their belly

Why would I rebuild the tranny on a car with 150K miles on it? I would just buy a new fucking car. Also, this is why leasing is master race

Literally why

Because racecar. No, really

Manual

Wear items aside, it'll wear out and break, but you will actually still be able to drive the car

>manual
>oh no, no second gear!
>skip second.

>auto
>oh no, no second gear!
>CRUNK CLASH CLASH CLASH BRRRRRRRRRRK

>CVT
>oh no, NO GEARS FUCK

>/g/
>"auto/cvt master race dated tech lol fucking luddites"
>"vi ~/src/dwm/config.h"

It's also pretty nice for city driving, where you spend a lot of time in 2-3 anyway.

wish i knew how to drive manual lol

Most can't shift. Nobody knows a mate with a manual shitbox to practice in for an afternoon or two, and many are reluctant to blow $300 on a Craigslist special to try it out.

Because after WW2 America was the only major country not fucked. So in a time when domestic automobiles were basically everyone in the world drove, they could afford the automatic models.

Look what happens when you use logic instead of shitposting.

so we can eat a big man in one hand, and drive with the other.

>manuals
cheapest, easiest
>old autos
expensive and complicated af
>new autos aka robotic manuals
cheap but with closed system ecu shit so not as easy

big mac*

Honest answer: manual was standard up until the 70s onward. Automatics were a luxury item and we Americans love luxury but also convenience. It's convenient to not shift gears.

Automatics got more popular. Now they are the new standard here, with somewhere between 6 and 3 percent of new cars being manual depending on your source.

That being said I never want to go back to an automatic. They feel extremely weird and oddly uncontrollable now that I'm used to a manual.

>complicated
>what is a two gear Powerglide

Manual is for gays who constantly want to stroke large phallic objects

>masturbation is gay

This

>Autofags can't stop associating everything with dicks

Luxury cars i nthe past had autos, stuck to it.

Automatic, only a manual has any chance of needing maintenance in a cars life time.

Is that what you tell yourself when you sit in your auto shitbox?

manual virgin here who doesn't know anyone with a manual car

If I go to buy a 200 dollar craigslist special to learn manual on should I bring someone with to drive it home for me so I can practice in familiar easy area or with no time ever driven a manual could I get one home?

Is this the modern definition of "lifetime", ie like 50k miles tops?

Just buy whatever car you want outright, a learner car is completely unnecessary.

well I'd love something simple small and easy like a miata but I doubt I'll be able to find one cheap for a while and I wanted to have some knowledge under my belt so I could make a more educated evaluation when I go to buy one

I would have liked an e30 or maybe an sw20 (the dicey choice) but I doubt I'll be able to find one anytime soon

Maybe I should just pick up a trash e30 or e36

you'll want someone with you to take it home if you're very far away, if that's an option for you. when I got my manual car, my dad drove it home for me

Just go buy a cheap econobox that still runs and learn on that nefore you blow your load early. You won't break it unless it's already damaged or you're just a shit driver.

for you

Agreed, but only if daily driver means having to suffer through stop and go

what is a Dual Clutch transmission?

I drove both, But for my daily work commute i prefer auto as im crawling most of the time.

How ever if i want to have fun ill take my motorcycle out inside.

Am I the only person on Veeky Forums who's mom still drives manual? She's 57 for Christ sake.
97% of the cars my mom has had when I was growing up were manual.
My dad drives manual too.
So does my sister.
Me and my two brothers drive manual.
Why doesn't your family Veeky Forums?

>$5000 transmission rebuild after 150k miles

only in american and german cars.

Auto?
Hahhahahahahaha
Enjoy your no engine braking!
Cunts

You can engine brake an automatic you tard

Please dont