/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Disintegrated Edition
Previous jej: Corneroids, Space Engineers, Starmade, Avorion, From the Depths, Factorio, REM, Robocraft, Machinecraft, Garry's Mod, Homebrew, Besiege, Infinifactory, Scrap Mechanic, GearBlocks, and anything else welcome. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for retards:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Space Engineers
>StarMade
>Avorion
>From the Depths
>Factorio
>REM
>Robocraft
>Machinecraft
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Besiege
>Infinifactory
>Scrap Mechanic
>Robot Arena 2
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Algodoo
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JC2egrdAVYs
youtube.com/watch?v=AIMDilzrFjc
remproject.wordpress.com/
remproject.wordpress.com/downloads/
youtube.com/channel/UCzp2XM98-FcFWAqhFjnxSbg
pastebin.com/jHbSCXLU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

More thrusters > bigger & uglier ship > more weight > more thrusters
Trying to build spaceplane that looks like actual spaceplane. But weight of this thing always fucks me up, even with light armor! If i change to hydrogen, then i don't need to lateral axis of main thrust in a first place. Then i get the "Slav(e) one", which means - no spaceplane.

>tfw grid onna grid causes ship to slightly tilt downwards in atmo
fug

Balance it out on the other sides, stops it tilting one direction but massively increases the chance of clang.

Like the other side of the main grid, or of the small grid? I had this problem before with a missile launchan ship, never could fix it

How much would this motherfucker clang if I were to build it on the server?

Not at all

Imagine a massive puzzle that we're making as we go along, fitting the pieces in as we need them. Now imagine multiplayer is not only a hard edge border around the whole mess, but also the image on the pieces themselves.

The more complex your game is, the more you have to build specifically to work with multiplayer and the more you have to code the multiplayer to specifically work with the complexity. Its a little odd and difficult to explain without giving you a 10 gorillion word essay. Specifically for REM, the physics of the vessels are a little more difficult to translate over the network than most other games, given that we can't just change the translation of the physics bodies around the place according to the other player's client, because that would cause physics explosions far and away more severe than anything Robot Arena 2 ever had. So we're making our own physics system which will make this way easier, far more efficient and allow anything up to 100,000 parts in one arena, rather than the current 400 (200 per ship.)

Let it be known:

The reason REM does not have multiplayer right the fuck now has nothing to do with the fact it is made in unity. We've actually done some preliminary testing beforehand, and its perfectly viable.

You have some reasons for this bile, or are you just shitposting? Unity is a perfectly viable engine, just the same way litterally all other commercial engines are viable. Or do I need to remind you Besiege, FtD and Robocuck was made in unity.

Okay, FtD and Robocuck are kinda fucked, but their kind of fucked is mostly to do with the developers.

Unity is to gamedev what FL studio is to music production

it's easy to get into and make something that works quickly, and this lures people into thinking that you don't need to know what the fuck you're doing to make games/music

A lot of popular games are made in Unity these days.

Rust, ARK, Empyrion, Beseige, MachineCraft, GearBlocks...

The only thing I really hate about Unity is its shitty UI (which you can replace) and its insistence on using PhysX (which you can also replace). Oh and the licensing.

Scratch ARK from that, not sure why it's there.

Out of all those only 1 is actually good.

Beseige?

Dont forget ksp

Yes

I'll defend FL studio in the sense that it is a perfectly competent and powerful piece of software. RPG maker, Ogre, Unreal 4, whatever, it's all just software to make a thing. Why are you demonizing a tool?

Should I not use C# because Goat Simulator used it too?

> PhysX (which you can also replace)
Really? As in, the whole damn thing? For realsies? Or do we have to slot in another pre-made engine? Because the new physics system we're making uses physx as the base translation, then optimised code calculates transmission of force between parts.

GearBlocks?

i never said FL studio was not perfectly competent software

just that the first song you make in it will sound better than the first song you make in Reason or LMMS because it does a lot of things for you

You have to slot in another engine, but someone made a Bullet library for Unity which is essentially drop-in. Nova and r4m0n used it to make an n-body physics simulator for a KSP-like with REM-style construction before they decided to completely scrap it and redo it in UE4, which stalled.

>unity shills are back at it again
You're FtD guy, right? Well you're clearly using idtech 2 with that, which I laud. It's a good engine. But you should really hire an artist or three, game looks like ass.

I agree, The game engine doesn't make a game bad, the game dev does. Kinda like how a good machinist can make good stuff out of old 1945 mills, but the new cnc mills make it easier.

Alright, fair enough.

Fascinating. Do you have any experiance with Bullet? There has to be a caveat somewhere. I'm getting the feeling it's ass with multiplayer. If it is the magical "bullet" (hah!), then I'll look into it further. Some things we were pretty sure were impossible due to performance could be a thing, such as bending bits under impact.

Yes good, exactly. I was kinda hoping there was a debate to be had somewhere, but it seems we're all on the same page. The tools have gotten easier to use, the masters will always make good stuff regardless of the tool.

None, I usually don't touch physics because I break it and am not good at the maths.

Learning how to physics is one of my life goals, though, just below "how2OpenGL".

Bit of a shame, because I just realized a transfer over to bullet would mean redoing litterally all of the work we just did in the last two months, given a lot of our code calls functions specific to PhysX.

Good luck with OpenGL though. Hopefully one day you too can become one of the great grey-beards of old.

The reason for bullet is it's more stable (stack a shitload of boxes on top of each other and they won't CLANG like Havok or PhysX are wont to do), it's open-source (free), has decent performance, and is highly flexible. I think there's even Bullet libraries for fucking FORTRAN.

>Why are you demonizing a tool?
Because the look's fairly unmistakable and it has a mostly deserved rap for being a piece of shit kit for people who can't code

Speaking of KSP, all of the filters the mods put on /kspg/ are suddenly gone
With the possible exception of the "kerbal" autosage filter, haven't tested that yet

>FORTRAN
Jesus.

Does anything even ... No, I'm sure it does, that was a stupid question.

Boxes are one thing, and boy do I love stacking boxes. I quite litterally grew up in Gmod, but that doesn't really help. I looked up good ol' r4m0n, and it seems his project has a little bit of promise. Kind like that one groundhog day-like game where you went around the tiny solar system until it exploded in 30 mins or something.

So this looks like unity then? I've had a lot of people say it looks nothing like most unity shill.

"Unity did nothing wrong."

FORTRAN is used a lot for scientific modelling because it's easy to distribute computation. The newer versions of FORTRAN are basically geared towards working in superclusters for this purpose. National Weather Service forecast models are almost exclusively FORTRAN, for this reason.

Whats with the cubs everywhere?

>they automate autosage now
hiroshimoot gassing all the mods when

>So this looks like unity then?
Not if you go ou of your way to styilze it up the arse, cleverdick. And if I bothered to play your build, yeah, I'd imagine I would find a hint or five as to what engine it's built on.

I do like that wireframe-but-not-really look though, keep it up.

Actually, the autosage filter's been around for quite a while
Just a week or so ago posting with the old OP made the system assume you're evading a 3-day ban for spamming, of which the expiration date kept getting pushed back so that it's always 3 days away, and yesterday there was a filter for just having "kspg" anywhere in the OP that made the system assume you were evading a month-long ban for violating US law
Whether or not the expiration date for the latter was ever pushed back, I don't know, because it seems to be gone now

le ebin tron aesthetic

Why do we have to go over the "Unity is only trash if you use it to make trash" conversation every week

is there a way to get turrets to auto-fire at other ships in empyrion creative?

using console commands to change one ship to alien faction in a pvp sector doesn't seem to do shit

It's literally chinese government shadowbanning people on social media, but they at least have a reason to do it. Mods on fourchins are mostly anonymous, are newfags after mootycucks banned fucking everyone, and aren't accountable to ANYONE. Especially not hiroshimook who is somewhere between a brilliant con artist and a genuine spastic retard.

>tron aesthetic
Oh yeah that's the proper term for it

Oh. Learn something new every day.

Those are the gameobjects the AI code generates into a grid to use as AI nodes. You won't see them in the next release, but they'll be there. A visual representation of where the AI can possibly go, basically.

>Not if you go ou of your way to styilze it up the arse, cleverdick. And if I bothered to play your build, yeah, I'd imagine I would find a hint or five as to what engine it's built on.

I will fight you on this, actually. I challenge you to find the hint of unity in the movement, UI, builder, or basically anything that resembles muh unity. Because we went out of our way to not be lazy cunts about it. I'm dead serious, there's nothing default about REM. Except for, you know, the unremovable splash screen that we can't get rid of without buying the full license and paying every month. Mountainous Development's treasury is a whopping $10.00 that someone donated about a month ago.

I still love you, mysterious user

>I do like that wireframe-but-not-really look though, keep it up.

Strangely enough, so do I. Its quite litterally the UV-mesh of the models with an emission layer cranked up with HDR. Then the bloom effect makes it go full tron, which is nice. Simple, quick, effective and I don't need to put more than six seconds into the textures. Which is pretty good, since 99% of those models are going to get ripped out in the coming weeks, and replaced again as needed.

))))

the cubes actually help a lot with visualizing what direction you're moving in space

consider keeping them or adding something similar, like generic space dust

Unity is still better than Xray

>space dust
>starmade flashbacks

Nopls

What I can do is add 'virtual' dust, like a F-22 raptor HUD, which can be turned off because good god that got annoying quickly in skubmade. I do agree with the tangible reference of direction and speed though, that does make sense.

>[muffled "cheeki breeki" in distance]
youtube.com/watch?v=JC2egrdAVYs

[citation needed]

ah, not space dust as in OBLIGATORY SCIFI SPEED PARTICLES OF GO FAST

i mean, ambient dust particles glued to space that help you orient yourself, kind of like those AI markers but more random and more pretty

youtube.com/watch?v=AIMDilzrFjc

Yeah, pretty much what I meant. More intangible and painted to be like a hud projection instead of just a thing in space because reasons.

I'll discuss this with REMdev.

>last level against shodan
[TRIGGERED]
INSECT

I want my orgiami late 90's 3D back, so devs put effort into sound design again

>so devs put effort into sound design again
Witcher 3 has you taken care of there

>station starts to vibrate violently
>shoot a wall
>CLANG stops
Is violence against my master the answer?

>witcher 3
Unfortunate you have to go through two other shit 90 hour games to get to it.

nah, violence in the name of Him is

Maybe the bullet was blessed by His Inmensness.

Space Engineers gives me unspecified graphics error in dev build only. Tried with several patches and tried to reinstall the game, same effect.

What can be the problem, friends? Has anyone solved it?

Imagine the little parasite inside your body, which fearfully bites your stomach. Never shoot again.

I really want to get back into spengies but ever since they added planets my computer can't handle it, I get terrible frames.

Any advice?

...new here, and that looks kinda sexy. Download?

Not really, it's a mixed bag. Voice acting and music are top notch, but walk down any given street in novigrad and it looks way bigger than it sounds.

delet you

fucking just play in a world with no planets generated, ya doofus

>don't use a world with blaned
>master autism constructions with lego technic and at that point it will be easy to build pc

You lie
We get no newfags only CLANG
remproject.wordpress.com/
It's the REMO. It's what all the posting about unity is on about.
>tfw REMdev starts posting again but you can no longer watch stuff because stuck in dorms with shitty internet because burned down apartment

remproject.wordpress.com/downloads/
The newest update has some interim shit that is sorta kinda unexplained, but I guess you can fun dicking around without knowing what the hell is happening. Basically build ship, fly it around, shoot other ship. If you want to know more, there's a few videos on the youtube channel about it.

youtube.com/channel/UCzp2XM98-FcFWAqhFjnxSbg

I suggest at least giving the readme a skim before playing.

Are you trying to watch the REMcasts? I could toss it onto soundcloud or something if that's more palatable.

big bote guy needs your help designing a superstructure for my big bote

I'm not good a building Pagodas

Hey nick, don't worry Nick is NICK all NICK into a single unified nick in the next NICK

>new player to FTD
>big botes are cool!
>has no buildilng skills, makes everything ugly, is kinda a newb
>building big is so slow that they get frustrated early and don't get better before leaving

Trust me dude, don't build anything bigger than 3k blocks until you can win the campaign on expert difficulty. You will learn faster, have more fun, have cool documentation of how your builds have changed/improved with time, and be a happier person.

I wanted to watch the livestream you did a few days ago, and the REMcasts.
Internet is so shitty I can't even watch jewtube in 144p
It's not an issue of connection speed, it's probably bandwidth or something, because it works at midnight.
Only problem with that is I have to maintain a normal sleep schedule now because roommate is waking me up at six am.
I hate dorms.
Why did my apartment have to burn down?

I'd say to a land campaign and use small ground units. Why can't we use crew as infantry again?

>not making a tank with NPC spawn blocks all over the outside
you disappoint me comrad

>tank
It's an infantry carrier, sir.

nick is to unify what chris is to fidelity, i suppose

>infantry carrier
>not infantry armor

No, it's a tank designed for the "get behind the darkies" operation :^)

This just in, 1 backpack containing default spawn equipment has the power to throw around a 5 million kg ship into a whirlwind of breakdancing

Kinda wanna buid this in space manginas

spoked wheels when

is that a bunker?
with wheels?

It's a tank from back in those days where tanks didn't have to look like refridgerator boxes with treads

Obviously they look like that for a reason, but in 1915 it wasn't clear what that reason was yet

Looks like a bunker with wheels to me desu.

>posting magazine shit
They actually build it. Moot doesn't let me post images for god knows why but there is a pic of it.

A tank really is just a moving bunker.

Looks like that old timey tricycle thingy with huge front wheel because what is physics we are american and dumb

That's huge, can you post a more zoomed in screenshot please?

I know they did. But tell me this is a good picture of it. You will go to hell for lying.

>Academician Boris Stechkin thinks that Lebedenko probably died.
Well no shit
This shit happened 100 years ago, of course he's fucking dead by now

Landing on Europa does not crash serb, was the other user using landing gear?

cyka blyat the slav tour continues

Don't stall on MP too long. It's what will make your game viable. Showing off your creations to each other is the bread and butter of building games. And MP can define a lot of your core to the game code. If you leave it too late, you'll need to remake a lot of the game to build MP into it later.

>1436680743008.jpg
Who is this guy. He has the most egregious forced smile I've ever seen all the while his eyes are full of pain. He is like the ultimate reacton image man.

The ship in it's current state is in the Workshop, USS AnotherUnfinishedShip if you need the name.

I am the slav, I am the squat
>inb4 botnet

Synchronicity, oднaкo

Why can't we have a Factorio serb?

Hownew?

>Hownew?
That post implies this is the first time I've seen the old timer, but in truth it's the first time I became curious to his identity or even gave it much thought. To answer your question I remember when Veeky Forums didn't exist.

So what does network bridging do exactly on wangblows?
I just did a thing and I'm not sure what

>I remember when Veeky Forums didn't exist.
That's a high water mark to you? Even newfags remember that.

something happened
something happened

It's relatable because Veeky Forums has an absurd ammount of posts compared to most 4chin boards (slightly inflated since dubs were disabled for most of its existence), all of which are way older. But how about you bring this metawank to >>>/q/, I mean,

>qa

Only suggestion I have is to download the videos whenever you can, but iunno how well that would work out for you.

That's the thing, sempai, we're building all the core elements around having them sync up on the multiplayer properly. If we did it the other way around, a shitstorm wouldn't even describe the spaghettimancy we would need to comprehend the level of fuck required to work within the system.

In any case, we're doing that streaming thing again.

pastebin.com/jHbSCXLU

>try another server in empyrion
>the admins run a "space police" faction that regularly searches and takes things like blue crystals from players' bases
>they do this on pve worlds where people can't defend themselves, and if you get upset at the admins about it they ban you
>when asked about it: "only admins can do it so there's no abuse of power"
>vast majority of worlds are completely fucking useless, with 1-4 of the same basic ore deposits repeated over every planet
>lags like shit for a few minutes every hour
>this regularly gets more players than andromeda