What are features on newer cars that, when you first heard of them, you thought they were stupid and pointless...

What are features on newer cars that, when you first heard of them, you thought they were stupid and pointless, but once you started using them you wondered how you got through life without them?

For me, there's the automatic closing power windows. I've had cars with the automatic down and I loved it, but never saw the point of automatic up. Who's THAT lazy? Turns out, I am.

Also, rain-sensing wipers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1ePcNfx1UEw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>tfw shit econobox with no features

>built-in usb input socket
Instead of pairing my phone up via aux/bluetooth for my music, I just use a usb storage device which is much more convenient.

>fold down rear head rests
It's more useful than you think, especially with low visibility rear windows.

>rear window locks
Holy shit this is so great when retarded friends start fucking around with the back windows creating turbulence.

radio controls on the back of the steering wheel

fucking gamechanger

>Tire pressure indicators

My dad ingrained into my brain to check the pressure in the tires once a week. Did it every Saturday religiously. My new car has one of those fancy display things that shows you the current pressure in all four tires. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

>not liking roll up windows

>Automatic headlights

>avg mpg calculator

>TPMS

I know this feel

>manual windows
>manual locks
>manual seats
>manual trunk
>manual hood
>manual hood supporter
>manual mirrors (to adjust the passenger side mirror you actually need another person to move the mirror itself, there is no adjusting stick)
>manual gearbox
In fact the only thing that isn't manual is the sunroof. Makes for good airflow with the window down though because coupe life. The cloth shield below it is manual though.

I'm pretty sure we've all been there... My first car was manual everything, except the transmission. It didn't even have A/C or FM radio...

Now? Aside from the A/C, I fucking LOVE XM.

>It didn't even have A/C or FM radio
Damn dude, I at least have both of those. A/C is super cold too and the radio is surprisingly good for being an early 2000s Chevy product.

The upside is that any upgrade once I have this thing for years will be very appreciated.

>manual gearbox
>not a good thing

>speed limit warning

>Manual everything except the transmission
why the fuck would they not give it a manual transmission?

it was a joke my man

The car was cheap at a time when I was itching for my first car and the 'freedom' it came with...

What kind was it?

Mine is electronic parking brakes. When pushing a pedal or pulling a handle is too much work.

I kinda like the tactile feel of yanking the parking brake lever desu.

i've been enjoying the shit out of the built-in wireless phone charger. streaming endless music without a wire in sight is glorious. i imagine these will be in all cars soon unless wireless charging doesnt catch on.

Definitely all the shit that they put on steering wheels. Mainly voice commands and music/radio changing. Shits cash

What car?

07 Tahoe:
>remote start
>speed sensing radio volume
>backup cam/proximity beeps
>power liftgate holy fuck love it

Although the TPMS system is broken so I kind of want to set it on fire desu

XM sucks balls
>costs money
>still has ads despite costing money
>low bitrate, doesn't even sound any better than static free FM
>terrible stations aside from the classic music stations

>can't do hectik handbrake turns
>no delicious KRRRRRK sound every time you park
Fucking dropped

Regenerative braking.

> getting cucked by physics every time you stop or go down a hill
> throwing away free energy

>tfw first car was an early 90s lexus with auto everything, super smooth ride, god tier stereo and dat 1uz

>second car was a brand new base model econo shitbox that feels like a tin can with wheels

This. This right here. XM is retarded, like if I wanted really good stations I'll just make my own with Pandora

XM radio is meh. You obviously have a broader selection of genres than FM, but after a while you notice a pattern with song selection and endless repeating on most stations. It gets old quick.

Also the sound quality isn't terribly great, it loves to cut off under bridges or any underground areas and sometimes randomly for no reason at all.

The electronic parking brake.

My Volt has one and my favorite part about it is how it automatically disables when the accelerator pedal is pressed while in either Drive or Reverse. I think it would be cool if there was a selectable feature that allowed it to automatically engage every time the transmission is shifted into Park.

>auto everything
>not wanting a manual transmission

I fucking love this. My parents bought a Chrysler Pacifica when I was growing up and that's the only thing I miss about that car.

a luxobarge designed for comfort doesn't need a manual transmission you faggot

>magic body control

It makes the car lean into the corner so you don't get shoved into the side support of the seat.

Even the name is cheesy but it's one of those things you notice when a car doesn't have it.

One touch electric windows.

I hated electric windows up until I bought a car with them.

>speed sensing radio volume
So fucking nice
It even tell you when you're speeding

>Braking
>Just turning energy into heat
>It cost you money

Power windows
Power locks
Power seats
Cruise control
Antilock breaks
Traction control
5mph bumpers
Crumple zones
Airbags
Automatic transmission
Fuel injection

Not exactly car-related, but I'll say ABS on motorcycles. When they started to come out as a real affordable option about a decade ago I thought they were rather pointless and drew comparisons with how ABS works on cars. How hard is it to slow down safely? Then more and more new bikes started to have them. It became a premium feature (mandatory in some instances) and more and more moto journos were singing its praises.

>XM sucks balls
Some of the stations are full of ads shilling their products. Once you send in, you are on their mailing list so expect email bulletins. Sure, the channel is entertaining. But it is sort of like an infomercial too. It makes me wonder if XM got that channel produced for free because they needed a way to get their infomercial into cars.

What they don't tell you about XM is that almost all channels are not live. They are all pre-recorded shows that loop over and over. And some shows don't even do that because some channels stop broadcasting at certain hours of the day (at least when I subscribed to it).

NAV system and speed limit warning.

Keyless entry/start is probably the most useful to me. I can't go back to cars without it.

Also the anti-glare mirrors that become active at night.

A lot of cars with electric parking brake will engage automatically in park (usually there's an option to turn this feature off though).

Automatic. I remember when they first came out and I thought they were made for niggers because of how lazy they are. But now in my old age I find myself using them

No less than 17 cup holders
I now wish it was illegal to make a car with less than 17 cupholders.

>automatic transmission
>a good thing

Which shit ty stations did you listen to. Octane lithium liquid metal ozzies boneyard and hair nation never have ads

Avalon

Side view mirrors with the blind spot indicators. First impression was they were gimmicky because you could just turn your head and look. Use them all the time now. Nice not having to take my eyes off the road in front of me to make sure some douchebag isn't hanging out in my blind spot.

Sun roof. First four cars I owned had windsheilds that leaked. I remember thinking, "who the fuck would want to get wet all the time, they can't even make windshields that dont leak." Now i want a sunroof in every car I own.

You mean hydra-matic drive, right?

>Instead of pairing my phone up via aux/bluetooth for my music, I just use a usb storage device which is much more convenient.
I use Spotify and Pandora, but different stokes.

I wish Ford did this. GM tends to allow you to see exact numbers.

Personally as someone with the electronic latch my preference is handle >lectronic button/switch >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> foot control.

I use my phone for GPS, Radar detector so Qi charging isn't that interesting. Besides, a wire kicks inductive charging to shit when it comes to charging rate.

>Remote start
Changed my life, especially combined with heated steering wheel & heated/cooled seats.

Agree. I am going to cancel it on next term expiration. The bitrate is fucking horrible.

Agreed on both points. Having an autodim driver side mirror is lifechanging, especially when some douche behind you has illegal retrofit HIDs.

> rain-sensing wipers
>auto-dim mirrors

these two alone make it hard to ever go back to plebboxes

Automatics where made for the disabled

What is feature? I don't think my car had any.

>Auto Wipers
>Auto Parking brake
>Cooled Seats
>Brake hold feature
>Power Rear sunshade

It also has power trunk but jesus that thing takes like 5 seconds to close and im just standing behind it like an idiot

you guys are a bunch of lazy faggots

I actually hate this shit cause you can't do hill starts with it (I know foot brakes exist but still) and it just generally doesn't seem to offer that much convenience especially if it doesn't engage automatically like the ones I've experienced

Finally a user with good taste normal handbrake is the best and it always will be

Auto Dimming Mirrors
Air Conditioned Center Console
Passenger Mirror tilts down in reverse
Rain Sensing Wipers
Brakes stay engaged for 3 seconds while starting on an incline
Holding unlock rolls down all windows and sunroof
Holding key to lock rolls them all back up

Are you supposed to not press the button when you use the parking brake?

Yeah you use it when you park, but he means it doesn't make a satisfying crunch noise like an ordinary handbrake would

>folding headrests
Didn't know I needed this until I had it.
I also didn't need it when I owned a car from the 80s because actual rear windows existed

Jim Boonie, come get your house

steering wheel controls

how fucking lazy are the rest of you faggots

>muh automatic wipers
>muh backup cams
>muh volume

good god

Although I agree electric handbrakes are stupid and pointless too, most manual cars have hill assist which keeps the car from rolling back on hills so it wouldn't be a problem. I still don't see the point in electronic handbrakes, is it for more space?

>car came with steering wheel buttons
>bought aftermarket stereo
>based crutchfield threw in a aftermarket controller for the buttons
>never get around to installing it

>it loves to cut off under bridges or any underground areas and sometimes randomly for no reason at all.
Probably because it's sattelite radio you retard

I don't know if you guys have ever used a car with auto brake hold but I don't think I could ever go back to not having it. Also auto high beams are neat.

Windows that go up just by pressing the button. Holy fuck its so nice to be able to just reach over, lift up on the switch once and move your hand rather then having to hold the switch for 10 hours to get the window up.

No I meant are you not supposed to press the button when pulling up the handbrake? The crunching noise sounds like something is breaking so I press the button on the way up and let go of it for one click.

THE HOUSE IS FREE

Remote windows open and close

youtube.com/watch?v=1ePcNfx1UEw

it doesn't do much

Oh, good to know. Thanks user.

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before, I love this guy's videos.

in your casual life, where you only drive your car and appreciate things like that with no real need for them

I GREATLY appreciate the auto all switches, and funny enough , you mostly see them on nissans/infinitis, even lower models will have better auto up and down options then the competition, the reason i care so much is im an outdoor valet, i have to go in cars that are 100F plus and drive them to the customer, so being able quckly cycle all the buttoms up and down at the same time saves me so much time having to hold those buttons and i can move on to airing out the next car.

a pointless feature i thought was stupid? well i still think its stupid after using it.

electronic handbrakes

i always use my parking brake to love my vehicle in position before shifting into park thus saving my drivetrain from the entire weight of the vehicle, normies are too stupid to do this so now we have the parking brake automatically coming on when we dont want it to......this really bothers me because ill have to open the door to check clearance (car has no camera but has a electric parking brake) it locks up wheels when you open the door, preventing stupid people from dying. theres alot more useless feature in expensive cars but i dont have time to write them all out now, it seems the more expensive the car the more useless the features are.

The reason for that is to have it controlled by the computer for safety reasons and for automatic deployment when put into park because people are too lazy to engage the brake when they park.

you shouldnt hate it because if you have an electronic parking brake then you should have hill hold mode if you dont i wouldnt drive that car its not safe.

XM was awesome back in the day

SiriusXMU used to play great music, Alt nation wasn't annoying, even the edm channels were pretty dope

now it's all shit

>now it's all shit
In the beginning, it was forced to be great because investors were trying to build up the userbase. The userbase is sort of steady now, so now it's about profiteering from the investment.

Are you 80?

>tfw no electric parking brakes with based yellow knob

Try adjusting your mirrors properly instead

Bluetooth

>Try adjusting your mirrors properly instead
Still wont give full view of your blind spots.

I'm looking forward to airbags. They'll save you from some types of cager retardation. Most likely won't save you from doing your own stupid shit though.

My shitty 98 blazer has manual windows and locks, is the most basic model, basically the only thing automatic is its transmission but for some reason it also has automatic headlights. They're p nice though desu

I love manual driving, everything about it except traffic jams and the fact that I have a spine injury. I can only drive stick when I'm having a good pain day. Feelsbadman.

>Octane lithium
Not him but I listened to these. I miss it. It's great for long road trips.
I wish I had these, especially in my dad's newer car because windows have shrunk with new safety regs.
At least we have cars busfag

Space is the only possible reason I can fathom

How does hill hold mode work? I have never noticed but maybe I do have this. Regardless, I can just keep my foot on the brake, not that unsafe

There are a multitude of sensors that help the ECU figure out whether your on an incline and when to apply the brakes.

Stuff like angle, pressure, roll back, torque, and wheel speed sensors.

Start-assist in my standard. It's really nice for the car to hold the brakes for a second so you don't have to heel-toe on a hill every time. Just quality of life things.

Huh. I'll have to test out whether I have it some time

This
Reading this thread makes me sick especially its on Veeky Forums

A bunch of volt/leaf electric cuck dad car and some lazy van owner giving out opinions

>reverse camera

I drove with one for a bit and it helped me see if there were any toddlers behind me when leaving the supermarket
Also XM radio is pretty meh.