Post Masterpieces of engineering

post Masterpieces of engineering

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N4OfY9EYuUg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

while these never set the world on fire, the engineering behind them in interesting to say the least.
>independent rear suspension featuring a fiberglass transverse leafspring
>Engine was the first American designed and built DOHC V6
>Said V6 was adapted from a pushrod block, leading to 5 camshafts. The crankshaft drove a chain up to the dummy camshaft in the block. The dummy camshaft then drove a cogged timing belt that drove the 4 overhead camshafts that actuated the 24 valves. Though severely detuned in production form, power output was impressive for the time, making 210 HP.

The rear suspension (pic is from a sister car, the 1988-1996 Buick Regal. Rear suspension was identical)

and a cutaway of the V6 engine.

thats pretty interesting, thanks user!

The W-body chassis underwent numerous revisions. Gen 1 cars used the fiberglass leafspring in the IRS.
Gen 1 cars:
1988-1996 Pontiac Grand Prix
1988-1996 Buick Regal
1988-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
1990-1994 Chevrolet Lumina.

Gen 1.5 cars are identical to gen 1 cars with the exception of the rear suspension. Gen 1.5 cars ditched the leafspring for a coilspring setup, using macpherson struts at all 4 corners. All W-body cars since used a similar rear suspension.
Gen 1.5 cars:
1995-1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
1995-2001 Chevrolet Lumina

Gen 2 cars were wider and had a longer wheelbase. The reason for them being wider was so Pontiac could advertise the return of the wide track Pontiacs.
Gen 2 cars:
1997-2003 Pontiac Grand Prix
1997-2004 Buick Regal
1997-2005 Buick Century
1998-2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala.

Gen 3 cars weren't supposed to exist. They were supposed to be replaced by an extended wheelbase epsilon platform, but thr program stalled so the W-body was updated again into the gen 3 cars.
Gen 3 cars:
2004-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2005-2009 Buick LaCrosse (sold as the Buick Allure in Canada)
2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2006-2015 Chevrolet Impala (2013-2015 cars were only sold to fleets like taxi's and rentals)

Pic related. A gen 1.5 Monte Carlo.

>GM products that are not the LS or the EV1
>masterpiece of engineering

fuck off stolen fagcaros

this baby right here

>mad a plastic Saturn is more advanced than his DD

>can't even stay on
>"advanced"

fuck off faggot

>Said V6 was adapted from a pushrod block, leading to 5 camshafts. The crankshaft drove a chain up to the dummy camshaft in the block. The dummy camshaft then drove a cogged timing belt that drove the 4 overhead camshafts that actuated the 24 valves. Though severely detuned in production form, power output was impressive for the time, making 210 HP.
Does explaining how an engine works makes it interesting? It's just an another american unreliable POS.

This. Finally someone who understands!
This car was absolutely built with one thing in mind. Speed. It was shaped after numerous hours in the wind tunnel and numerous sketches. It may look bloated but everything in this car makes absolute sense. But I like the way how it actually is.

Even though VW did a publicity stunt with this car and lost a ship-load of money on each car they sold, they gained a lot of knowledge and expertise that no other car company in the world has ever gained. It's truly a feat in engineering. Chiron is just a greater feat to the Veyron and the CEO of Bugatti as already said that they will strive for perfection and speed. I love it.

Nice meme, I guess the next thing your gonna say it that it doesn't turn right?

Wow a A DOHC 3.4l V6 that could break the 200hp mark. Well done america!

It's just a typical redditor comment . More details = appearing more intelligent when said topic really is not remarkable or interesting.

You know I'm just going to throw this out there for mouthbreathers like yourself. Maybe GM didn't see the need to spend time and money to R&D a 350 horse v6 in midpriced FWD coupes and sedans that had to meet epa regs and be built in the 80-90s.

Those were a pain to work on. Half shaft has to come out just to replace the alternator.

maybe it was a masterpiece of engineering, too bad that the engineering was faulty as fuck

another marvel of engineering right here

friend has a 1994 pontiac grand prix with the 3.1 v6 that sounded like a cammed v8, beat the shit out of it and took it over bumps 40+ mph and hooned the complete shit out of it, then manji'd into a curb in the rain and bent the driverside rear suspension all up, probably will still start up and run, it's been sitting for a year.

Do I win?

airmatic was truly a masterpiece

This and Toyota Hilux

No contest.

Should have been illegal

>This car was absolutely built with one thing in mind. Speed.
No, then they would have made a light-weight car instead of a 2-ton saloon.
>It was shaped after numerous hours in the wind tunnel
every car from the past two decades is
and numerous sketches.
What are you even trying to say? Other cars are just built haphazardly?

youtube.com/watch?v=N4OfY9EYuUg

Maybe not a masterpiece but kinda close

>unsporty large coupes
>IRS with transverse fiberglass leaf springs
Do cars have to make sense in the US, or does Detroit just build whatever they feel like?

>It was shaped after numerous hours in the wind tunnel

Actually, the biggest problem with the Veyron is that it was designed, in 1999, before it was engineered. It was the 250mph aerodynamics and cooling that meant it took 6 years to develop the thing. Just look at the Chiron's gaping anus for function over form.

TMYK

Detroit builds what will sell. If the owner wanted a smaller GM coupe in '95 they bought a J-body. Anytime you want to own, maintain, make a profit out of a automible company just step up user. Otherwise don't pretend you know better.

My car is bae

>one of the first cars ever designed in a wind tunnel (preceding Tatra 77 in fact tied with the Chrysler Airstream for the first ever by a difference of a few weeks)
>backbone chassis with a theoretically self supporting body on top, a principle later used by sports cars like the De Tomaso Mangusta or Delorean DMC-12
>engine block and body panels made from a magnesium alloy called Elektron for weight reduction
>air cooled V8 had overhead cams and hemispherical combustion chambers
>reached higher speeds than most cars (100 mph) with 75 hp and half the fuel consumption of other cars its class

>all in the mid '30s when most cars have only just stopped looking like horse carriages

>tfw no money to drop a b18c6+tranny with oem lsd into my ek4
life is suffering

>all of that + this wonderful modernist design

Tatra is my favorite car manufacturer, I swear that one day I will buy myself 603

/thread

reminds me a lot of the car Le corbusier designed in the 30s

Most durable V12 ever made?

>world's first production car with a V4 engine
>world's first production car with a frameless unibody
>world's first production car with fully independent suspension
>world's first mass production car with shock absorbers

No. Also your crummy unit wasn't even reused in the Pagani Zonda.

First AWD car
and some other innovative stuff

Viper and the AC Cobra that inspired it.
>large engine
>small coupe built entirely around it to handle said engine
>engine block came from a truck so it was very cost effective for the performance it delivered
>engine weighed nearly 700 lbs or more and the car was still a performance success and weighed around the same if not less than its rivals with smaller engines

The Supra (as far as i know) could never race with its 2J engine because it was too heavy and opted instead for one of Toyota's 4 cylinders. The viper's engine was just as heavy as the 2J or even heavier and it was still competitive in motor-sports. Even to this day this combination so far has remained a match made in heaven.

That's because the Toyota is an actual car you can actually drive, and the Viper has nothing else in it other than its hurr cubic inches ship motor.

the Multijet

Only real niggas will appreciate this.

many forget that the supra is a grand tourer, not a sportscar

Not to nitpick but the Ram and Viper V10s where designed independently. The only similarity was the number of cylinders and the displacement.
Go back under your bridge.

>Masterpieces of engineering
Isn't that MB new corporate slogan/campaign being rolled out now?

What is this, marketing contractor free-for-all day on Veeky Forums?

I wonder how many different marketing agencies are involved in this site and what group of automakers each one has as clients?

>Because regular anons should know that several companies hire the same agency

The people who designed this car deserve a medal

Too bad it never got to race.

The 0.28 cd was pretty good for 1970. Also dat 200mph.

i sat in this car 2 weeks ago

What part of severely detuned did you not understand? Production ready prototypes of the engine made 280 HP. So why did they detune it to 200-215 HP? So the automatic transmissions would survive behind the engine. They couldn't get a FWD automatic capable of handling the V6's torque. There was a manual option available (made specifically for the engine by Getrag and had no trouble taking the power) but it was discontinued due to poor sales. Out of 40,000 3.4 powered Lumina Z34's made per year, around 3000 of them were manuals. Manuals were available from 1991-1993. Even with the manual, the engine was detuned because GM management.

200mph in 1970? did that make this the fastest production car in the world at the time? or does it even count as a "production car" i remember hearing Clarkson say that the F40 in 1987 was the first car to hit 200mph. does that mean this was the fastest production car in the world until that moment or were there other cars that eventually hit 200mph after this?

The 200 MPH was achieved during a NASCAR race. The cars were modified for racing. Street cars were never tested to 200 MPH.
The Ferrari F40 is stil the first production car capable of 200 MPH on the street, until someone can take a production Daytona or Superbird and test it on a track.

1969 this guy hit 200 in a daytona, it wasnt one straight out of the dealership but it was street legal.

Your motors weren't even used in the fastest car ever made

Yes

Why can't we go back to this time before feminism and tumblr shit? I respect women, but they need to understand that they are inferior

feminism is all about women being inferior and requiring special treatment to pretend to be equal to men now

>women are bad drivers, good thing the car is easy to fix
>2016
>women are differently-abled drivers, so the car drives itself

They are literally inferior. Men are overall better... I mean, it's the fact. We're stronger. More intelligent. Just to name a couple off the top of my head.

That's the average speed over the lap BTW, that's how they measure it in oval.
Plenty of street legal hotrods reached >200 before 69 though. Just like plenty reached >400kph before veyron

Because it's retarded. 40% of women are "more intelligent" than the majority of men, including you. Treating them all differently instead of just looking at their actual performance is a huge waste of both male and female human capital.
Being tall is generally and advantage in basketball, but the NBA doesn't ban people under 6 feet because that would be fucking retarded

No rotaries????

For all that effort, it's pretty underwhelming.

They're just marginally faster at arithmetic, recall, and language. On average. It balances out, since men dominate abstract thought and built computers to deprecate math, remembering things, and talking to people.

:^)

...exept the BMW V12 was used in the mclaren F1

Shelby Cobras are a damn fine automobile.

t.NEET

How does that change anything? It's still a distribution, 40% or 30% or whatever% of women are still smarter than you even when it comes to abstract thought

your wife's son needs his dinner brought up to him, get to it.

But he posted an M73, not an M70.

right you are. my bad then

GM royally fucked up the transmission on every one of those 2000-2005 Monte Carlos but goddamn they're some fucking speedy shitboxes and have some god-tier stock handling

Not that user, but you know that car has spent exponentially more time in the wind tunnel than any other production car ever, save the McLaren F1.

The car itself was reasonably well designed, but the R26B is just glorious.

The difference between a two plug engine (standard) and a 3 plug. This allows fuel to be burnt more efficiently by reducing """"squish"""" which leaves some fuel unburnt.

Yes I know, but all modern cars still spend "numerous hours". Which is what I remarked on.
Also "exponentially" doesn't mean "a lot" stop using words you don't know

>3 fucking sparkplugs
Honestly that just sounds like lazy engineering

>extra efficiency is lazy engineering
How so?
Also the engine was designed a long ass time ago, it's pretty clever.

/thread/

While racecars are here, Brabhams BT46B fan car.

>better than a Lotus 79

Because they aren't increasing the efficiency of the engine by any sort of engineering, they just saw unburnt fuel and added another spark plug. Then another one when it still wasn't burning clean.

>looks like a Stanley pencil sharpener.

>/thread-ing your own post
>doesn't even know what /thread actually means, so uses two slashes like a retard
>thinks a generic sportscar is a masterpiece
all kinds of retard going on in this post