I think the Peugeot 406 is the best looking car ever. No matter the angle I look at it from. The mundane simplicity...

I think the Peugeot 406 is the best looking car ever. No matter the angle I look at it from. The mundane simplicity. The humble yet stylish front, rear and profile overwhelms me.

It's gorgeous, I can't find a single design flaw, I've been lusting after it for years now and still cannot find a car I like more. I love Japanese sedans from the 80s and 90s, I like pretty sports cars, American classic muscle cars, I even have a fetish for muddy offroaders, but this one car, the 406, is mesmerizing to me.

I don't know what's wrong with me, and I suppose you guys will shit on my tastes, but I can't stop having feelings for it and thinking everybody is wrong.

It's absolutely perfect. I feel serene and satisfied looking at it, I want to meet its designer and share a simple beer on a French beach with him.

It completes me. If there's one thing I will do no matter what in my lifetime, it's owning one of them.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=39ylAdYO218
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_205
ikco.ir/en/Product.aspx?ID=43&Section=1&Series=Peugeot 405
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this could be a new pasta meme

thanks op

Feel free to expand on it.

I needed to get this out of my system.

It got nothing on the 505. Also RWD

It's beautiful and glorious as fuck indeed.

Living in France I always disliked that kind of cars (Renault and Peugeot regardless), but I have to admit you're right.

>B-Buy French cars desu

those wheels

it's pretty

It's great although I prefer the 405 or 205.

Yeah, the 405 is also pretty amazing. It's got more of a boiracer feeling to it and I love it.

Agreed. These and the first gen Renault Lagunas. I've lived all over the world and driven, ridden and piloted all manner of vehicles, and for some reason these are the things that really stand out to me. They always fit in wherever they are: back end of dusty beyond in Ghana, driving through idyllic Euro countryside, or parked outside some frugal management type's house on a rainy British estate; they always look in their element, and they always seem to be in decent shape. Most of them don't even look like they've aged, despite being less than beaters now, and definitely having had rough lives. Probably the last cars the French managed to build right! Shame about the fwd though - I guess they never really can compete. Still. Scrape together £150 and get yourself one!

Ah 90's when cars wherent shit

Whatever horrible shit we did to deserve Renault Nissan can we just fucking undo it?

One of the worst mergers ever

>Ruined Renault for years only now just looking at making a nice car again
Plz be good alpina

>Nissan still cucked.
Kill it

These were brilliant in BTCC, in that green and gold livery. My god.

I to, have a strange craving to own/drive a 406. I can't explain why.

I personally prefer the Coupé. Nevertheless, the standard 406 is one of the best looking sedans ever made. 80's and 90's Peugeots were pure gold.

>first gen Renault Lagunas
Tbh the second gen Lagunas are the best looking Lagunas and one of the best looking cars in general. Shame they were so unreliable and shit, but their looks are phenomenal.

>Shame about the fwd though - I guess they never really can compete
I think there were 4wd variants weren't there? I mean those were definitely rally cars.

Wasn't the only strong engine available the one that spawned from the cooperation with Renault and Volvo (PRV engine) which was fragile as fuck?
Otherwise in terms of optic and rwd it is damn
sexy.

Would love it to bits if it wasn't fwd. It just looks like a rwd car and the fwd kinda ruins it. However someone around my hometown drove one that's been turbo'd (probably the v6). twas nice

Nice. This looks literally Ferrari-tier. With a bit of a Honda.

youtube.com/watch?v=39ylAdYO218
this is the meaning of life

Agreed, I like mine pretty good so far. It's old and outdated, but it has this sort of character

Post dem rims boi, they are super cool iirc

>tfw they got so rare I literally can't find one to buy close to me and in a decent state for a decent price

Fair point with the second gen Lagunas. Though with their reputation, as you mentioned, I wasn't sure they'd merit the mention. I think that was when Renault decided to get all new-age and do away with keys: favouring cards instead, wasn't it? Ridiculous decision. Otherwise they'd have been brilliant - the whole angular but professional look, before the onslaught of cars that just look angry and frustrated. As for 4 or AWD, I'd be intrigued to see if there were any that left the factory like that. I know of FWD variants being used in racing, but hadn't considered something more upmarket. And now why the fuck do I have a yearning to go tearing about in an old family hon-mobile? What an odd fetish.

>I think that was when Renault decided to get all new-age and do away with keys: favouring cards instead, wasn't it? Ridiculous decision.
I don't know but I feel like they just got unlucky with the 2nd gen Laguna. They flew too close to the sun I guess.

>As for 4 or AWD, I'd be intrigued to see if there were any that left the factory like that.
For all I know the 405 and 205 had actual T16 version being sold on the market and those were the ones that featured 4wd. I suppose 406 also could've had those. Besides, I'm not sure that was still the case but for rallying the manufacturer had to sell a certain amount of the car he intended to rally in order to get the homologation.

>4wd 205
god almighty pls b real

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peugeot_205
>To homologate the 205 T16 ("Turbo 16" in France) Group B rally car, Peugeot had to produce 200 road-going examples. According to the Group B regulations, these had to be based on a current production road car.
>Apart from the appearance, the road variants had practically nothing in common with the regular production model and shared the transverse mid-engine, four-wheel drive layout of the rally car
All real.

I'd legitimately suck dick to get a chance to drive this car.

production T16 was mid engine four wheel drive.

But slower than the GTI.

Yeah I drived a GTI not too long ago. First round about I literally went spinning like a toy.

That thing is incredible, balls to the walls.

Best looking car ever? no.
But I will admit It catches my eye every time, I have a soft spot for them.

same for me, though mostly thanks to the movie Taxi.
Also had that sweet BTCC engine sound.

406 was always a good looking car and still looks pretty good.
Probably the last of the truly good Peugeots.

I like the 405 and 605 better though.
If only they were RWD I'd consider them a Mercedes and BMW competitor.

I really want a 605 as a stable mate for my W124.

The 505 is another one that looks great. Also the 604.

The 504 is probably the best Peugeot. Worlds comfiest ride and those Indenor XD.88 diesels run forever.
But I hate how the rear looks. If only it had the rear end from the 504 Coupe.

205 was and still is the worlds best shitbox.

Praised be the french desu

Fun fact, it's a Pininfarina design which was originally intended to be a more entry-level Ferrari.
When they showed it to Ferrari, however, they were told "Ferrari will never make entry-level cars" so they went to Peugeot instead, who instantly put it into production using the oily bits from the 406.

Doesn't surprise me one bit to be honest. You can tell the pininfarina from a mile away. It's the same case as with Bertone and Giugiaro. All their designs looks the same.

I feel like Giugiaro is single-handedly responsible for that iconic 80s euro car look.

Well he did design the MkI Golf...

which is why it looks like lancia delta, or a slightly smaller audi 80 or fso polonez

i could go on

Well they're certainly retro

Well you could try to import one from Europe, at least here in the Netherlands they're so common it's only used as a beater. I got mine from my aunt for free, and it's in pretty good shape so I'm going to keep it for a while and fix some things up and then maybe sell it.

Less cool than I expected

We're you looking for the alloys used on the Cti (convertible) and Gti?

I am in Europe though, user. In Poland specifically. Nobody drives these anymore. I mean I could find a smallest engine version in a shitty condition probably but that's not what I want.

UNF
YEAH

Plus, XUD9 diesel engine with Bosch mechanical fuel pump which will run on any old shit for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles. 406 = apocalypsemobile.

You know they still make the 405 in Iran? Some of the Bertone gorgeousness has been lost in translation, but still... ikco.ir/en/Product.aspx?ID=43&Section=1&Series=Peugeot 405

early 605 is vastly superior

>Not posting the Coupe

Pininfarina styling with a glorious V6 or a torquy diesel and good fuel economy.

I used to own a dark gray 405 MI16.

It was relatively light because it didn't have all the modern equipment cars come with today and it had 160hp, and because of that it was fast as fuck. It was also cheap because it was already an old car by the time I had mine.

I miss that car

I think the EP91 Starlet is the best looking car ever. No matter the angle I look at it from. The mundane simplicity. The humble yet stylish front, rear and profile overwhelms me.

It's gorgeous, I can't find a single design flaw, I've been lusting after it for years now and still cannot find a car I like more. I love Japanese hatchbacks from the 80s and 90s, I like pretty sports cars, American classic muscle cars, I even have a fetish for muddy offroaders, but this one car, the Starlet, is mesmerizing to me.

I don't know what's wrong with me, and I suppose you guys will shit on my tastes, but I can't stop having feelings for it and thinking everybody is wrong.

It's absolutely perfect. I feel serene and satisfied looking at it, I want to meet its designer and share an iced coffee in a Japanese car park with him.

It completes me. If there's one thing I will do no matter what in my lifetime, it's owning one of them.

I remember someone saying that the XUD9 engine in the Iranian ones are mounted in a straight line and use a Hillman drivetrain.

So are they RWD or was that some bullshit?

Here's a flaw. Its not a 306

who /106rallye/ here?

I fucking wish. Mate of mine had to scrap his 106 GTi, which is a real shame.
He bought a Clio RS Cup to replace it though, so it's not all bad.

accept no compromise
[spoiler]it's not a rallye tho but 1.4l so not awful[/spoiler]

Sam please

The 106 is one of those hatches that is a likely shitbox, but looks fun to drive. I'm in Canada so buying one and shipping it over would make it Civic tier in price.

I know the GTi and Rallye are mad fun.

Its light as fuck and corners like a go kart

Well the 75hp one I have really suprised me first time I drove in it. Shit's pretty cash, at high rev it really goes and goes some more.

Back when I was like 12 we found an abandoned and unlocked 19(iirc) and just chilled in it for a couple days before it was towed.

Looked like the luxury model, leather interior, electric everything(including windows and sunroof, everything still worked). Comfiest car ive sat in to this day, and i drove an A8 for a while. Love me some youngtimer frenchies.

Also dat dashboard. Second only to the corrado.

Please do, shits interesting. bonus points if its information not found on wikipedia.

My dad had a 21 for a while when I was little. Sadly it blew a headgasket or something so he scrapped it.

Xsara looked miles better imo.
I used to drive a restyled 1.4i. That shit was gutless, but it cornered flat as fuck.
IIRC, the Xsara had leading handling in the segment, when it launched.

Looks like a shittier euro accord

my dad had one. their electric windows are very unreliable and cost a lot to replace. other than that it was pretty cool.

WHAT ABOUT MY PEUGEOT 206

>it's better because rwd

Where did I say that?

Just that RWD on french production cars are rare enough to be noteworthy.

>tfw driven dozens of Peugeots from the 80's to 2000's
>all of them 1.9L diesel

Best euro shitbox from the early 2000s. Drives pretty nicely.

It's just not the same. The 306 looks a lot better.

But that isn't a Punto HGT.

Almost went ahead and bought one as my first car. Family redpilled me on the electric problems and obviously the weak wrong-wheel drive configuration is not very appealing. l agree on the look though especially when white.

Went ahead and bought a lemon '96 Eclipse.

I have the same unhealthy fascination, but with box Chevys.

I hate driving big cars. I hate post-1970 GM. And for all intents and purposes this car is representative of everything I should hate wrapped into one cumbersome, clunky, gas-thirsty frame.

But I don't.

I love the way it looks like every car I attempted to draw as a child. I love the old police interceptor and government squad car versions. I love the engines it came with. I love its squared-off, low-slung, villainous, wide body. I love its fascia, which matches more than one hypothetical stone-faced, chevron-sporting G-man who rode around in it. And the ride! It's like riding in a Crown Vic or a Roadmaster. The road is no object.

I should hate this.

But I don't.

What's your secret love, Veeky Forums?

>Punto

Kek, fix it again tony meme is strong with this turd. At least parts are cheap and numerous.

The Laguna Coupe is one sexy thing, pretty much the only renault that isn't pleb for the average bloke

Nah they dun goofed with the design. Weirdly enough it doesn't look like anything else from the xx6 design line.

Dunno. Never had a mk.2 Punto.
The 1.8 16v in the HGT is bulletproof though, it doesn't have headgasket issues.

505's are definitely a high point for Pugs, lot of the robustness of the 504 mixed in with a bit more refinement. Plus there's actually quite a lot you can get out of them

Great little cars, uncle had one done up for rally before he got sick and damn, that fucking thing flew! It went round corners like it was on rails.

It's a gud looking car I'll give you that. Considering it's just a plain cheapo family sedan it's great. IRL, I think the French are very good at making family basic cars look very up market. More so than the Japanese, Americans and Japanese at least. You normally have to pay top dollar for decent design with those marques.

Have only seen one on the road, to this day.
The car really has presence, especially at night with those elaborate led lights.
Same with the new Megane's ass, although it's a bit of a simpleton in your face design.

>stupid Renault isn't making a RHD version of their best looking car in decades.

Its like they want people to buy a Passat.

The facelifted 508 is looking great too.

I really like how the Megane looks. It's the only economy car I've ever seen and actually thought looked truly premium. Much more than the Audi A3 or Mercedes CLA, even though it's cheaper.

I'm really hoping that since Renault now has a partnership with Nissan and that they're starting to build some of their vehicles in Mexico which is in NAFTA, that they'll start selling cars in the US again. With consumer trust in VW waning I think a significant amount of the crowd that normally goes for cheaper European cars will be willing to transition from VW to Renault.

>508
It's shit though.

>tfw no glorious DS8 with hydractive suspension

It's really reminiscent of the new Clio, from the profile view.

>It's the only economy car I've ever seen and actually thought looked truly premium.
Yeah, it seems Renault is aiming at DS.

IRL, the Talisman would probaly sell very well in the US. From what I can tell from reviews and pics, the dynamics and quality are far above what is typical in the class and it's as cheap as similar offerings from Ford and Toyota. I think they could make a big impact if they sold it ant the Megane here. They're building the Alaskan in Mexico starting this year and the Megane may follow so I think it may be possible that they'll soon offer their cars in the US again. Since they're starting to focus on electrification, I think it's a safe bet. If they offered their wagon here they'd be the only company offering a cheap basic station wagon in the US period.

Wagon looks like a Chevrolet Impala crossed with a Volvo V90. That's not a bad thing at all.

Around three years ago I had a 206 5 seater Van with the 1.9L N/A Diesel.
The engine is very reliable but lots of stupid interior plastic bits fall off all the time.

The hubcaps only lasted a day.

It was enjoyable to drive because decent torque at low rpm and a light, quick chassis, but I think the higher revving petrol engines are even more fun.

I worked a cleaning service and basically chauffeured maids around. Always Asians or Eastern Europeans. A good thing because they never complained about me driving like a cunt.

I beat on that car every day but it never broke. Downshifting at high rpm to avoid using the brakes and flying over speed bumps to avoid slowing down. It held up pretty well.

Also, if you flipped the rear seats forward, then moved the front seat backward to close the gap, and flipped the front seat forward too you could recline in it and have a decent nap.

I unabashedly love big American land yachts. My secret love is this fucking shit; the Mercedes GLK-250. It's a damn compact crossover, I should hate it, but I don't.

>raised ride height for supreme ground clearance and views of the road
>RWD biased AWD which somehow can actually handle off roading
>torque-rich diesel which still manages good MPGS
>comfy as fuck luxury interior with glorious design and ergonomics
>despite being a crossover it's maneuverable as fuck and grips like an entry level sports car
>angular exterior design and built like a god damn tank
>spacious inside but somehow has the foot print and turning radius of a subcompact sedan
>can be had for the same price as an Accord, used
>high reliability marks

I keep telling myself my next car is going to be a Lexus GS or a Camaro SS, but I know I'll likely fold, become a supreme cuck and buy one of these fuckers, then save up to buy a Camaro 3 years in the future

>renault
>cheap

lmao

Their French website says the Talisman is the equivalent about $31,000 USD. That's a damn good deal for a large sedan of that quality. That's basically what a Toyota Avalon or Chrysler 300 go for here, and the Talisman looks a lot better.

that's the base model with a 110hp diesel and it's not large it's about the size of any mid-size sedan (3 series, Mazda, etc)

*mazda 6

IRL, in the US it would be a about 15% cheaper because our taxes work differently, and it would probably come with a gasoline equivalent. The basic Toyota equivalent only comes with a weak 4 cylinder engine too. A Ford Mondeo and BMW 3 series are significantly cheaper in the US even though our base models are more powerful than European base models. We don't have special emissions taxes nor VAT on automakers the same way the EU does. Some states don't even have sales tax on cars at all.

It's cheaper for you but the profit margins are also lower for the companies since they don't trade in Dollars. That's why everyone moves production to mexico to even compete on the US market (high numbers, Low profit per vehicle)

Looks like a Pontiac gto m9

Exactly, but Renault is already starting to make cars in Mexico. The Alaskan pickup truck is built there and they will soon start building the Megane there too. This is why I'm suspecting they're working on returning back to the US market again. Renault is not one of the major 6 brands in Mexico so it doesn't make sense for them to move more production there unless they're planning on expansion which would necessitate US market penetration to justify such an investment.

the regular version comes with a V6 too

The alaskan is just a rebadged nissan mainly for the south american market. That doesn't mean you will get yuro renaults that have no market in the US.

My parents had one of these when I was young. Really comfy car and I was sad to see it go.

It can't hold a candle to the E39 though, in any way

It looks bigger than it actually is. In reality its the size of a 3 series BMW or C Class Mercedes or VW Passat.
Also the biggest engine is still only 2.0l The biggest diesel is only 1.6l

The BMW 3 is 182 inches, the Talisman is 190 inches. It's much closer in size to the 5 series which is 191 inches .

wheelbase is what matters