79 Trans am help

I've got a 79 403 trans am and was wondering are there any Trans am enthusiasts that can help me locate a few things on my car? I cannot for the life of me find where the dipstick is supposed to go. Also if anyone has some sort of diagram on how the wiring harness is supposed to go would be great because I'm trying to figure out why my turn signals are not working. Also there is a mysterious green wire poking out of the fire wall. Any help would be appreciated.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9DrvvgJYcyY
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5655702558.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing under that hood is stock. You gonna be chasing down the wiring yourself.

any more advice?

>I'm trying to figure out why my turn signals are not working

your best best is getting a haynes manual for it and a power probe or multi meter and check all the fuses

>a mysterious green wire poking out of the fire wall

see if it has any power to it with a meter

I'll get out a meter and check it out in the morning.

Op post a picture of your like the whole thing? I have a 79 z28 I love how old friends f bodies look

I used to have a 79 Trans Am, my turn signals worked but just barely. Replacing the relay fixed them perfectly.

Whole car, engine, or wiring?

Here is the whole car

here is a video of it running if anyone is interested.
youtube.com/watch?v=9DrvvgJYcyY

can i be you

Gorgeous car op absolutely beautiful

I was looking for a 79 when I got my 98.
Yours is my favorite nose style.
Super awesome dude.
Any power figures or strip times?

She has a massive cam in the engine but until I get the engine timed right I won't know how much power for sure. Anyway, the 79 is also my favorite year too. I always thought it would be cool to take a 3rd gen camaro front end and slap it onto a second gen camaro. The 79 trans am looked close enough so I like it the best.

Thanks, Once I get the wiring harness figured out and time the engine it will become my new DD.

I bought this car with a $5000 budget and ended up getting it for $3700. I was genuinely surprised how cheap these cars can be in terms of repairs and insurance. As long as you have a basic skill of unbolting and and replacing or can watch a youtube video of how to do it most minor repairs can be done in a garage. For example we removed the whole non functioning A/C system in about 4 hours in the garage.

you dislike ac? weird i would have kept it and kept cool. ac is nice.

whats wrong with the timing?

Olds dipsticks were on the LS of the engine between cylinders 5 and 7. I see yours has headers and that probably caused a fitment issue so the dipstick was left off until something could be figured out and then never was.

The timing is off and makes it have a really low idle. The A/c didn't work anyway and I had no room in the engine compartment for what was left of it since most of it was already taken off to put the valve covers and headers on.

so why not adjust the timing its not rocket science. could have done that yesterday

I'm waiting for my dad help me out with it since it's a project we have been working for a couple of weeks.

What would be the best way to mount the tube for the dipstick with the headers on the engine?

You'll have to get some tube and bend it to fit. A traditional steel dipstick probably won't work with multiple bends like will probably be necessary so you'll likely have to go with a cable style dipstick, or maybe a plastic one.. Lokar makes a variety of types you could check out for ideas at the least.

lokar makes one like that.
its flexible. look it up
its probably at jegs

I DD my 79 camaro

is yours a 5 speed?

Thanks! I'll check them out and see what I can do.

What's it like? Working on getting an '81 to DD

This one in particular of I can
newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5655702558.html

Nope th350 3 speed. It's pretty fun to drive but gets like -8 mpg and is noisy as fuck. Lots of compliments though

the lack of overdrive is the suck. im not sure i can deal with that.
why not swap it out for an od tranny

I'd probably end up doing a swap, they made these things during the oil crisis and the height of emissions standards, barely manages to make 170hp as-is

That and how much fuel it sucks down

one hundred seventy from a 400ci engine? is this a joke?

I wish it was

That particular turn of the decade was a bitch for car manufacturers and enthusiasts alike

They were marketed as grand tourers, not sports/muscles

My engine is rebuilt to fuck and back, cam pistons heads intake carb rockers everything. I have a 700r4 tranny in my firebird but I like the oomph of my built 350 in the 3 speed off the line. It just sucks revving it to hell and back to get to 100 on the freeway. Might drag race Sunday in San Diego for fun

They MADE good grand tourer's, but people recognized and treated them like muscle/sport/pony cars, rally drivers put better engines in these and took 'em to the speedway