I want to buy a frame and build a car around it. Has anyone here ever done this...

I want to buy a frame and build a car around it. Has anyone here ever done this? Who sells frames and bodies or what are my options here?

Other urls found in this thread:

pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1307984
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

most people go on to their local classifieds to find a frame. or they will scrap the body of an existing vehicle and use the frame from that.

Buy a 03+ panther

VW bug frame + Any kit for it. God Speed

>I want to buy a frame and build a car around it.
>not inside it

e-pussy

How do you do this and still be able to drive it legally? What about safety features?

Just register as an antique vehicle or whatever I'd assume.

>google scratch built car
pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1307984

Yeah, a bunch of us at work decided to do this (mercedes mechanics).

I'll give you a heads up : It's a HUGE fucking undertaking. You can make the frame easily if you have the most basic comprehension of structure. You can also figure out where to mount the engine, transmission, etc.

The difficulty comes in the calculations you DON'T make.

Shudder resulting in frame movement from the transverse axle torque, body shifting from frame movement, wiring issues (wire it up, rewire it, rewire it again, rewire it again, rewire it again). Can't quite get the body right... oh shit, the frame interferes with the body style we wanted, oh fuck the doors no longer fit, oh fuck we have to re-design the interior because we decided the fucking transmission wasn't the best...

... you have no fucking clue what you're getting yourself into unless it's a previously done design.

long story short, the end result was under performing, ugly as sin, and likely won't last for long.

So our second project was to strip down a pre-existing SLS and build from there, that worked much better.

Turns out retrofitting an engine, transmission, wiring, and body to a pre-existing frame is WAY easier than starting from scratch.

Pro-tip. Map out the wiring of the original engine's vehicle and figure out how to map it onto another frame... DO NOT try to redesign the whole electrical system.

cont'd pt 3.

There's a reason engineering teams are used for this shit. Modern vehicles and safety requirements are NOTHING like they used to be.

So many fucking sensors... so... many... fucking... sensors.

this sounds like someone who is trying to save you lots of money and time wasted op

I would listen to this guy

He said things I already knew.

No. You don't know.
NIGHTMARES.

FUCKING NIGHTMARES.

IT NEVER FUCKING ENDS!

i mapped every inch opf wiring from my 72 sbc took nearly 5 hours to get all of it done i mean a hot wire to the ignition to the dis and a hot from the alternator to bat and 2 grounds

Factory
Fucking
Five
Faggots

You would have to register it as a kit car regardless of whether or not it is an actual kit. Same rules apply since it's still a home-built car.

This. Factory Five kit cars are fantastic places to start. The cheapest kit they offer is the 818, which started around 10k before getting a GD Subaru Impreza parts car.

>Everything about new cars is incredible modern engineering
>Except the pigfat fucking frames themselves
>???
>Doing God's work

It's a '33 Ford-ish chassis; no one gives a fuck about the weight.

Meanwhile the 818 comes in at 1,800 lbs.

These look cool but I want a full size car with 4 doors. I want a put a V12 in it with a manual transmission FR layout with Independent rear suspension. At least that's the dream.

I'm thinking maybe a ford crown vic chassis with the engine swap and some custom body

>I'm thinking maybe a ford crown vic chassis with the engine swap and some custom body

I'm thinking suicide might be a good option for you.

Just get a 750i and manuel swap it

>manuel

Anyway, how many 750i's are for sale in Burgerland? What's the average price for a good one?

For an E38? About $3500
To manual swap would he another about $3000 max.

>strip down a SLS

you what?