What's the best car for $5000?

What's the best car for $5000?

Probably a corolla or another affordable commuter car.

Best car for what purpose? Are you trolling or what?

For fun and reliability i guess

Manual corolla, gut it completely, engage rally mode

This but with a civic instead.

Mid 2000's Focus SVT

RSX type S

are those any good?

yes, but good luck finding one that isn't beat to hell and riced out for $5000

find clean unriced civic
>$3k
K20 engine swap
>$2k
Gut it
>free

Best car you can get for $5k
Slowly build it up as you get more money until you have a car that wrecks stock evos.

A bike

Yes

>bolt on blower
>stiffen suspension
>put bald as fuck tires in the back so it oversteers
>be dagumi

Enjoy driving a car from at least fifteen years ago if you want one for under 20k.

older cars are better

Definetly not an STI or WRX for that matter.
But probably a decent foxbody, or even a good condition FC RX-7 with lowish miles. Those would probably be your best bet but 5k won't get you anything unless it's undesirable or beat to hell with low miles.

>put on bald tyres so it oversteers

>oversteers

You mean slides and ends up in a ditch?
Please dont put bald tyres on your car unless you have proper experience in dealing with these conditions. Unless of course you are a moron and will take this stupid fucks advice anyway. In that case, do it OP

Decent Corolla or Civic for 5k. gotta be kidding me. People try and sell this shit after theyve driven them into the groud for way more than what it's worth. To me, kias have great value. Rich white parents buy it for their kids then sell them for cheap when they've hardly been driven.

What about pic related?

I hope you enjoy rebuilding the engine every 60k and have it avarage a 10 mpg.

You won't find an STi or an RX8 for anywhere near 5K, you'll find an absolutely thrashed WRX... If you're lucky

1/10 for your effort

snap oversteer turbo
also define the word "best"
funnest car?
best looking?
most reliable?
fastest?
most practical?

A BMW 3 series?

you can definitely find an RX8 for $5,000. Easily. It will be complete shit, but you can find one.

mr2 roadster, avoid the very early ones and it'll outlive you.

And what do you plan on doing with it
.Its called copart.

Are you telling the truth? I shit you not, there are at least 3 for sale in my state, idk if I want one because they look so bulky and I'm just not a fan of how it looks in terms of a hatch.

>STI
>$5000

Nigger, the cheapest WRX within 200 miles is $13,000, and that is an automatic that has been thoroughly molested

STIs in the $23k+ range, even old ones

DEJA VU

I got a Civic for 6k. If you are willing to go no interior, everything falling apart, work on it all the time, have it not be presentable, etc, you can get an OLD (not "older") miata, integra, mr2, rx7 (barely), mustang, etc.

Not on that budget. At least not without 200k miles on it.

I looked - you can have one for 4k or something. Except engine needs to be rebuilt. I did the math, and it ends up being closer to 8k to have it in presentable condition. And that's if you do most of the work yourself.

At that point - you can pick up a 350Z for 10-11k in good condition.

im gonna say cobalt ss/ ion redline. fast (for a shitbox), reliable, decent aftermarket, no jdm meme tax

This. Cobalt SS Turbo best bet for 5k. If you aren't a RWD only memester that is.

0-60 in under 5.5 seconds. Sadly it has a typical GM-tier interior.

You are never going to find an STi for 5k, even a salvage title undrivable one.

enjoy paying out the ass for insurance for that

Where the fuck are you sickos located that you can find these cars for $5000?

Literally tack on another 75% - 200% cost for those cars near me, assuming you can even find one around here.

Lol no it won't if the pre cats haven't been changed the car will die

funnest car?
best looking?
fastest?

>These are unironically my criteria

I don't need it for daily commute - what to buy Veeky Forums?

EG Civic with a few simple mods

Wisconsin

Not much worse than most other 2dr coupes. I called my insurance agent for a quote on one that I was considering buying so I'm not talking out of my ass.

20yr old male.

Wisconsin

Kansas City

Font you should ask. That's how much I just paid for this

mr2, SVT Focus, b13 SE-R, Miata, Civic SI

If you can find one in 6-spd manual, fucking this

Only a problem on early models, you'd want a 6 speed anyway which rules the first models out unless you're planning a 2zz swap.

>plastidipped emblem
>aftermarket exhaust
>probably also has plenum spacer, z tube, and pop charger
>all this without any tuning solution

Good luck man.

C4 corvette probably.

Why does the engine rebuild meme keep getting lower and lower?
It started at 120k and every few months it gets lower.
Stop talking shit if you never owned a rotary xD

Enjoy your engine rebuild at 30k miles

>6-spd manual
Those don't exist. Not from the factory, at least.

get a turbo mr2

there is never a dull moment in this car and the amount of looks and thumbs up I get from this racks up everyday. Maybe not the FASTEST but it can be driven very fast in the right hands, can also be made to be hilariously fast on a modest budget.

look out for leaking t-tops and do try to understand how weight transfer works in this car to overcome the snap oversteer meme

>30k
That's an interesting way to spell 5k

old accord

miata

My bad, 5-spd

i bit of all of those

>try to understand how weight transfer works in this car to overcome the snap oversteer meme
It helps to have a degree in memeology too

A Yugo

boomer car
>200hp+
>good towing capacity
>appreciates
>roomy
>desirable

Honda accord any good?

Turbo Miata.

>tfw you can't even get an MX-5 for $5k ausbucks
>tfw a WRX (not an STI) costs $12-15k

Any Americans willing to marry me so I can move there and get cheap cars?

are you cute?

the mid 00s Subaru Legacy GT is essentially an STI for adults. you could look for that but you really need to find what matters to you.

you'd be fine a Scion TC by the sound of it

they're comfortable, and economical. hey, if that's what you want, then yes, they're "good". if you want a sports car, then you've got completely naive to buy a Honda Accord, even a V6.

What about the Civics?

Hell yeah you could buy like 50 Yugos for 5 grand and just drive one until it explodes and jump in the next one.

mk3 supra with a fully done headgasket

What's a nice fun and cheap car? i prefer 80's and 90's cars

You mean not stock?

Miata

>best

Maybe not the best, but cheap as fuck, durable and tons of parts

>use leftover cash for whatever the fuck you want

Agreed

Gas milage is poor but not awful and lack of manual are the only downsides

Fuck yes. Either that or a clean s13/s14 if you can find one.

Why not an sn95? They came in manual. Don't they share the 4.6L?

I mean changing a headgasket on a 30 year old car is just basic maintenance

Eastern Yuropoor here. I could get pic related in running condition for around 2500 dolluh. Cheapest V8 money can buy. Are they so cheap because they fall apart and replacement parts are expensive or something?

I don't see why that is a problem, i've never owned a car for more than 50k miles.

I'm looking at a 2004 Mustang GT for $5K on Tuesday. Original owner, supposedly a creampuff.

>Are they so cheap because they fall apart and replacement parts are expensive or something?

That is an understatement of galactic proportions.

You can get V12 BMW 750s for $1000 in the US. Guess why.

I have an 06 type-s and it blue books for $11,000. It would have major problems if one was found that cheap.

This.

Even in Aus old luxury cars are cheap as fuck, i've got an old 4.4L E39 that I love dearly, but it's literally cheaper for me to buy entire parts cars than it is to just buy parts.

A Low mileage old car for $500 and $4500 toward repairs, insurance, and fuel

UK here

Old A8 like that i can get for £300

wow, this is actually very accurate.

early 2000's 750i for example. buy it for $3k-5k. instead of paying $10k for new parts on an old car, you just buy another old 7 series and use it as a parts car.

wat

Is it good for a person that's never owned a car before?

Anything a little bigger? i like to have back seets

>Is it good for a person that's never owned a car before?

Yes, unless you think you'll wreck it.

Miata was my first long-term DD. It's a great car for DRIVING THE CAR but it gets kinda tiring going on road trips. Interior space is nil and highway cruising feels a little frantic. Soft top is only fun when it's not too hot and not too cold.

I'd say it's a perfect third, a pretty good second car, and a so-so only car.

I've found a local 2005 civic SI for 5k. Considered buying it for a dedicated track toy but I don't have enough money to go to the track with the car I already have so decided there is no point.

>fwd

falling for memes

I think you meant every 4 miles

It's not memes if it's true :^)

There bad for drifting right?

It's not a meme. How do you expect to be like Takumi with an FF car?

What about these? desu

Quit posting this peice of shit.
Civcs are A to B ecoboxes.