Affordable first vehicle showdown

I'm 17, time to buy a car. Looking at a Peugeot 206 or a Renault Clio, so what do you say experts? Pros/Cons of each? Any better options in the £500-£1000 price bracket?

cuck cars.

British and poor I'm afraid

then go for a le merci twingo

not a bad suggestion thankyou!

Twingo

inb4 404

merc twingo

nice little car, Twingo seems like a popular option

USED WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST
>USED WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

Dont forget to put a twingo plush under the rear window

I don't see it

exactly

I wonder how much effort would it require to "swap" or rather carve and adjust that on my Polo

T W I N G O
W
I
N
G
O

Seriously though, I am jealous that I can't buy one, so take advantage of your options

Clio a shit. 206 is better. 306 is fine too, but the more modern 206 is more likely to come with AC and power windows if thats something you care about.

Also consider the Nissan Micra.

Twingo is decent too.

>Seriously though, I am jealous that I can't buy one
why? it's literally one of the ugliest cars in existence, interior and exterior wise

I mean that's great is it

M O N D E O

Styling is all personal preference

and then save up the rest of your money to do a sick engine swap. Maybe an uno turbo? or the like.

French cars have problems with electronics, Peugout 206 has problem with the rear axle due to faulty construction (a major repair which WILL happen due to French design)

Get a VW polo, Skoda Felicia or Fabia, Hyundai Getz or Accent (yes, it's gonna have rust, engines a rock solid though)

Avoid French cars like the plague.

Bonus mention: 90's Toyota Corolla

Not brit but is what decent sports cars are there for 3k or less in the US?

The sticky because those cars are much cheaper now + make a separate thread about it. Define "sports" more accurately, you mean a faster Corolla or full 'merican V8 guzzler? Plus, it's what you can find running good. Either it will be a neglected Mexican owned shit or even a decent car.

Definitely Clio. The 206 looks like it's about to fall apart at any moment. The Clio has aged quite well.

Look out for a Yaris as well, you might struggle to find one for ~£1000 but they should be easily looked after. They look a lot better if you put some new springs in it. They're great on petrol too, cutting your costs a bit.

>french cars
>ever

>saxo

Was probably a boy racer driving like a prat.

Probably the same price as a custom bumper.
or get a twingo bumper from scrappy yard and try it yourself but i dont think it will fit.

Don't buy french, they're badly designed and prone to rust

Get a shitty little Fiat instead. They're just as bad but use standard size parts that you don't need to import from france

Good thing about Fiats is you can use parts from just about any other Fiat

Yeah every Fiat is a parts bin special. They put the 1.2 FIRE in pretty much every car they ever made, so you can find Punto parts literally everywhere

>1.2 FIRE

My gf has one of those. Oil pressure light would blink on occasionally. I couldn't work out if the dipstick had any oil in the car because it was impossible to see the oil on it.

So I decide to change the oil, no more than a can of vimto comes out when there is supposed to be 2.6l. We'd been running with the light blinking on for about a month.

Turns out if burns a lot oil. Also the FUCKING LEFT INDICATOR never works when you need it like say Coventry ring road.

Had pic related as my first car.

1.2 8v engine is very reliable, easy and cheap to maintain, loves to rev. Gas mileage does depend alot on the weight of your right foot though.

I've basically rebuilt a 1.2 FIRE. My mate had a Punto for his first car, over the course of the first year we (I) replaced the following

>Oil, since it was basically empty when we got it
>Oil filter, since it was the factory one at 92,000 miles
>Both headlight assemblies
>Drivers side door when the hinge snapped
>Fuel pump
>twice because I didn't ground it properly the first time
>Injector rail
>All the injectors, at different times
>Timing belt
>Rocker cover gasket
>Twice since it decided to catch fire
>Spark plugs that was clogged up with oil residue
>Both coil packs
>Clutch
>both driveshafts
>sump when he hit a speedbump and lost all the oil

When we sold it to a scappy (minor accident it was written off) it had no back seats since they completely collapses, and none of the rear lights worked at all, since they blew bulbs like it was going out of fashion

7/10, good on fuel and easy to work on.

My first car was a Hyundai Accent (with the 1.5 Hyundai Alpha engine), which has had zero problems except a bad windscreeen wiper spindle.

Which is impossible to find in europe, so it's now sitting rusting away at my dad's waiting on the hens teeth showing up

related thread, there's a bit of discussion about french cars in there
I personally don't know anything about them