If you were going to buy a brand new 1/2 ton, would you insist on a V8...

If you were going to buy a brand new 1/2 ton, would you insist on a V8? Most of the new trucks seem to be going the V6 route.

Other urls found in this thread:

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a8788/the-2015-ford-f-150-pumps-v8-engine-noise-into-v6-trucks/
youtu.be/SerJlaJpBkY
youtu.be/O2MQi2cUORE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_6R_transmission
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

yes cuz MERICA

No, the v6 is better.

Ford has turbocharged V6 engines with power comparable to a V8. I would not consider buying a large truck with an NA V6.

Except the non-turbo Cyclone puts out the same as the old 4.6

i would insist on the v6
but i would not buy a 2wd no matter what

I would't be buying a new truck. A truck is a tool to be used and abused. I'd either get a 7.3 powerstroke or 4-cyl minitruck (depending on what I needed) and call it a day.

Yeah, gas is cheap so why not?

This

Except that's not a full size truck.

>the F-150
>not a full size truck

I own a full size v6; it's under powered and gets less mpgs than the v8. Never go for a v6 in a full size.

>ecoboost
>under powered
wat

I would go for the v8 for simplicity's sake. The turbocharged v6 have more to break, being the turbos. Will it happen I don't know? But at least major repair work with a na V8 will only involve the engine. On the V6 it will involve the engine and likely the turbos, meaning more $$$$.

if you are buying a truck that large and not getting a diesel yr doing it wrong

>diesel
Objectively inferior in class.

please elaborate... how better mileage, more hp and more torque longer lasting engines is objectively inferior.

>better mileage
Diesel is still more expensive which offsets any gains.
>more HP
lol, no
>more torque
lol, no
>longer lasting
Maybe.

fuck off with the market research you cancer

diesel is slightly more expensive some places. where I am - its the same. and the mileage improvement is vastly superior savings over a trucks lifetime of driving.
also, if you will, please read those HP/Torque ratings which can be found on Fords website.
It is beyond irritating that you suburban internet weeb brain just lets you fuckfuckpost without thinking...

>diesel is slightly more expensive
Yes, exactly. Offsetting any MPG gains.

>ford's website
We're talking about the F-150. It dominates in class, no diesel can match it. Look at OP's post. Please try to keep up.

>ad hominems
I get it's frustrating to be wrong but try to be civil.

Nah, but I would like it to be powered by electricity either fully, or partly like a plug-in hybrid.

I like the new Ridgeline the most.

>I can't afford a new truck

;)

>Implying an engine without a turbo is inherently more reliable

>1/2 ton
>large

Any NA v6 in a full size truck will suck.
Twin turbo doesn't perform better IRL, and ford turbos (if ford even creates the engine) are not all that great. The v8 will be more reliable over time than the twin turbo.

Why would anyone want ANY type of v6 in anything ever?

>the turbos do nothing

Which is why it took years for GM to get it's shit together and match Ford's ecoboost 3.5 with pure unbridled displacement, right?

no - sorry. I don't think you read that properly. You have to consider the entire economic lifetime of the truck and its fuel savings. No OP is not talking about Ford specifically, there is just a photo of a ford truck - again - read. It was about v6 vs v8 in a truck and concerns for power. No one cares about your un-proven "class domination" which varies completely depending which website you look at or which butt hurt ford kid posts from his moms basement.

>a twin turbo doesn't perform better in real life
It actually does, stop lying.
They actually still haven't the 2017 F-150 makes 470 LB FT of torque @ 2500 RPM destroying the Silverado's shitty V8.
>unproven
False, the F150 destroys the RAM in class.

>no OP is not talking about ford specifically
Learn to read, I never said OP was. The fact is the F150 Ecoboost is untouchable in class.

6.2 GM v8 makes peak torque and HP earlier, and makes more torque on paper (albeit marginal)
also doesnt require premium

lol this internet ford boi

>6.2 GM V8 makes peak torque and HP earlier
False, I just told you to stop lying.

>2017 F-150
>375 HP @ 5000 rpm
>470 LB FT TQ @ 2500 rpm

>2017 Silverado
>420 hp @ 5600 rpm
>460 lb-ft. of torque @ 4100 rpm

The Silverado is objectively inferior for towing.

>Cyclone
>Full size

I see you're out of lies after being proven wrong. Fair enough.

Im sorry i must have missed the part where you have proven anything other than you know how to use sweet ass memes and the word objectively

>memes
No memes were posted, are you really this butthurt?

yes i'm aware no memes were used... are you really this socially inept...

I had a '13 150 with the 5.0 and now have a '16 with the 5.0. Absolutly no complaints on the engine front.

But the change to aluminum comes with a significant downside in regards to rear end weight reduction. If you hit a bump going downhill you can skip sideways. If you know how to drive not a huge issue, only time I had a problem was hitting washboard gravel going downhill at 20mph and nearly losing it.

There's literally no point in this discussion. The F-150 is superior in class. Deal with it. Apparently, you're just going to drone on with irrelevant topics to ignore that fact.

superior to what? another ford that I proposed?your are a literal moron

Any half ton in its class. Look at OP's post again.

>more ad hominems
Yea, I see I've already won. You have no logical arguments, just insults.

Crap, I was thinking it was the Syclone.

why not start producing I6 again?

So, in case the purpose of this thread alludes you, let me break it down.

>Ford is evnetually moving away from V8s in trucks
>Ford wants to consolidate powertrain options for economical reasons
>Ford wants a larger ratio of V6 truck sales vs V8 truck sales because the V8s hurt their CAFE ratings on the EPA cycle
>Ford marketing contractors are trying to determine who is still stuck on wanting a V8 so that they can tailor their PR campaign promoting their V6's as V8 replacements.
>Looking for anons to single themselves out ITT as preferring V8 over V6 so that they can be personally counciled by a Ford shill ITT using prepared data points allegedly showing the V6 as superior.
>This entire thread serves not only as a market research tool, but also a re-education session promoting Fords V6s in trucks vs V8s

Observe:

A good start for Ford would be not making every feature that comes from other makers as factory defaults as optional.

For god sake, "power door locks" are a factory option.

roadandtrack.com/new-cars/videos/a8788/the-2015-ford-f-150-pumps-v8-engine-noise-into-v6-trucks/

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Because Detroit doesn't believe in things that make sense.

probably an N/A 3.5

Depends. V8 sound and feel is fucking king.

But the V6's seem like they can be more than enough unless you're hauling some seriously heavy stuff.

They really aren't though. I'll give my $0.02 to this thread. If you are getting a full size truck, you really want the V8. I've owned maaaany trucks and driven twice as many for work. V6 trucks are shit. You have to drive them so hard to get shit done, you're basically in V8 gas mileage territory without the extra power. I can think of literally zero reasons to buy a V6 truck. Straight six, sure. The Jeep 4.0 and Ford 4.9 were fucking excellent engines.

How is 253 torks weak? It's a fucking base model

Because the 3.5 Ecoboost puts out 420 lb ft of torque, the 5.0 in comparison only puts out 385

Depends on the need, and how long you want to keep the truck.

I'd only go for a V6 with a turbo, and only if there's not a whole lot of heavy hauling or tons of driving miles involved. Obviously a turbo V6 is going to be a bit more stressed than a V8 in a truck, long-term reliability of the turbo V6 arrangement is unproven.

If you need to drag shit around, drive a ton of miles, or keep the truck for a very long time, I'd opt for the V8.

>Ferd does new pickup market research by spamming a slow auto board full of poorfag weebs and NEETs who will likely never be able to afford new shitboxes, let alone new trucks

The resident ecoboost shill is just doing his thing trolling people.

>Ford wants a larger ratio of V6 truck sales vs V8 truck sales because the V8s hurt their CAFE ratings on the EPA cycle

The 5.0L and 3.5L TT are a measly 1mpg apart from each other in lab tests and in real world driving the 5.0L gets better fuel economy.

Depends entirely on the torque output and range of both engines.

But likely a V8 diesel.

1 MPG is astronomical for their CAFE rating. Ford execs would sell their mothers on the street corner for just a half MPG more.

Ford doesn't give a shit about real world economy, that doesn't help them meet their targets at all, and the targets are so strict Ford is desperate as fuck to try and meet them right now for the next gen.

Every thought you have is learned from somewhere. You have no free will. You are a product of your upbringing.

If I were buying a brand new half ton I'd personally go with the 4.3L V6 Cheboygan. The torque delivery on it is everything you'd ever need in a 4x4 half ton. I was unimpressed with the 2015 dodge v6 I drove. Between the lack of torque and the inane transmission shift program I can't recommend them. The Ford NA v6 thought noticeably lacking low rpm torque had its autotrans shifting sorted and would be ok. A dog, but ok.

The na v6 in the f150 is shit compared to the chubby. I am talking about current model year rigs and the 4.3L ecotec3 v6 in my eyes is the perfect half ton 4x4 engine. I've driven both because I am a habitual tire kicker.

I like to think of it as the less RPM's, the longer it was last. Shit ford 8ns from the 1950s still go strong today at 300rpm.

I don't like being above 2k at highway speeds...

v6 trucks are usually the low end models
I'd go for a v8 or diesel.

80% new trucks are owned by absolute faggots who don't even dare to load their furnitures in the bed
I've seen too many faggots who refuse to lend the truck to friends to haul things. So getting an used truck is getting a well cared cheaper truck

"no"

Nobody gives a fuck about N/A V6's.

You won't be above 2000 rpm at highway speeds, what are you smoking?

/agree

however whenever I had trucks, I wouldn't allow anyone to borrow it...I used the hell out of them, and would take care of them, but shit you don't just let someone borrow your vehicle because they don't have it...

I'd buy a RAM 3500 Tradesman for dat 900 lb/ft

any v6 truck I've driven was above that full or mini

Were you towing? That seems to be the only possible scenario.

nope. even downhill too.

Google any truck highway rpm speed

tundra/Tacoma/

general rule; the fewer the cylinders, the higher the rpm...

not to say an ls cant hit 8k easily, or a larger chysler/jeep v6 can't do 1800 at highway

when I say highway I mean 70+

and not 2016 with a fuckin 8 speed tranny or some shit

Well, you're wrong. Ecoboost engines make peak torque at 2500 RPM or less, there's no reason for them to ever rev higher than a V8. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

youtu.be/SerJlaJpBkY

what did I just say?

>and not 2016 with a fuckin 8 speed tranny or some shit

and you choose to go with a 10 speed?

clearly you don't know what you are talking about AND can't read

Are you actually retarded? It's a 2015 F150. It has a six speed. Kill yourself.

the zf knockoffs that they are throwing in there are 10 speeds...

Yea, in the 2017 model. The video clearly shows a 6 speed 2015 V6 ecoboost model idling at 1400 RPM at highway speeds in a 6 speed automatic.

Looks like you're the only one who can't read.

the 6R80 is still being produced yes, but they are doing 10 speeds now...Either way, my post previously was more along the lines of 1990's give or take a few years, not a few months ago...

Nobody wants a slow V6.

>V8 Diesel

You are fucking stupid.

Funny you mentioned that. The 2.7 Ecoboost actually has the fastest 0-60 time in its class (5.6 seconds).

youtu.be/O2MQi2cUORE

You idiots are running out of arguments. The ecoboost F150 dominates its class.

comparing a diesel that is half a liter larger in displacement AND packs a turbo to it's gas engine option and saying that by virtue of it being diesel, not its turbo, does it have such monster torque. There's no need to be delusional. A 6.2L with a turbo would produce similar power.

Who cares, you're still wrong. You claimed that a V6 couldn't do 1800 RPM highway with a 6 speed. You've been proven wrong. Deal with it

that's because it's so flimsy and light
put some stuff in the back and it's more like 20 seconds

All the new ford transmissions are ZF knockoffs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_6R_transmission

my point is, the ford ecoboost is ONE example, of many, most of which don't get under 2k at highway speeds...and I don't believe that taking that strain of the engine, and dumping 2 or 4 more gears into the tranny is going to squeeze an extra 4 years into the lifespan of the truck. That was my point, not considering myself an expert on what ford is coming out with this past January or next. Either way ZF trannys arnt going to be fun for awhile, and the 6R80's don't have nearly as much trust in my mind as 4l60s/700r4s/4l80/s 4r70w and such

>put weight in a vehicle and it will be slower
lol, no shit

F150 Ecoboost>any V8 in class

Deal with it.
>one example
More like the best example. Ford's Ecoboost engines are GOAT.

Same goes to you...who cares?
So a few trucks can do under 2000 at highway speeds? I was wrong about that. okay. The vast majority still can't. and my original point still stands. I would choose an ls motor, or a revision of the 700r4 that has been around forever and been proven over a zf knockoff with a v6... It's definatly the safer bet. In 10 years when that v6 10 speed is being resold, id still consider a late model triton or ls over that...and my bet is most of them are still on the road.

Why is ford trying to cheap out by giving the public only 3/4 of an engine?

al gore

>ZF knockoff
Who fucking cares? The Silverado is going to use that same transmission in 2019 when they switch to aluminum too. They've already put it inside the Camaro ZL1.
If beating every V8 in class is defined as a "cheap out" you're delusional.

v6 engines aren't very good and ford has been having problems with them as well

Truck owners are not prepared for the expense of these transmissions. I work at a transmission rebuilding shop and were starting to see some and boy are they expensive as fuck to rebuild/replace.

>The Silverado is going to use that same transmission in 2019 when they switch to aluminum too.
been aluminum for a long time man...

Beating every v8 in its class is EASILY done. The hard part is outlasting them. Maybe that's where you misunderstand.

>been aluminum for a long time
No, they haven't. I'm referring to an aluminum alloy body just like the F150.

>the hard part is outlasting them
There are plenty of Ecoboost engines over 200k.

Thought you were referring to their transmission...not body

Miles doesn't tell you much. I mean years/being put through hell.

Yea but not transmissions tho. We are already seeing units that are being used for towing/hauling fail around the 100k mile mark. Its great that Ford can steal a ZF design but it needs to last. Were gonna see the same reliablity problems ford had with the last gen F150 but swap engine problems for transmission problems.

200k is easily achieved with even the biggest shitboxes if its highway and serviced at exactly the right intervals and gets lucky.

If you are trying to convince Veeky Forums that a v6 10speed will outlast a v8 5speed given the same normal miles/wear/years...I've got some bad news for you...

can you give ONE example where a massproduced v6 truck outlasted a v8?

how did the 3.5's do compared to the 5.7 hemis?

or any v6 vs the 5.3 ls?

whatever the fuck v6 happened vs the 5.4 triton?

shit I can't even name most of them, I have to google them because I never see them, because they aren't even on the road anymore...either that or nobody wanted them when they came out...

>its great that ford can steal a ZF design
It was built in partnership with GM. Boy, you GM dickriders sure are delusional.
>Were gonna see the same reliablity problems ford had with the last gen F150 but swap engine problems for transmission problems
First thing that you've said I agree with. Ford has already moved onto the 2nd gen Ecoboost and fixed the carbon buildup problems on the F15P by adding port injection. Not to mention fixing multiple other problems. It's getting more reliable by the year.
>V8 five speed
No, I don't care. OP is talking about buying a new truck. Which would mean a 8 speed silverado VS a six speed F150. The 10 speed 2017 F150 isn't out yet so it doesn't count.

No, I can't. Ecoboost F150s are pretty much only 6 years old.