>comfy interior and lots of utility because wagon
>swedish landbarge safety

Why don't you own one yet, user?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2fSRUgczFdA
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Am poor.
Also the AWD system in the 1st gens is made of glass, so an 850R would be a better choice even if it's just >FWD.

You also forgot to mention muh turbo i5 sound.

ye, the sound is really cool

youtube.com/watch?v=2fSRUgczFdA

drives like a turd

>Haldex 4WD
That's why.

That isn't even a first gen OP posted, it's at least a second gen (rounded step-down sides with a crease under the beltline, instead of the straight, flat sides of the 850 and first gen S/V70).

I agree that I'd rather have an 850, though.

I know it's a 2nd gen, I was just pointing out the 1st gen's problems with the AWD.

> needs 300hp for a 6 second 0-60

They're not common in my area, and the few that can be found are all automatic.

>is a pigfat wagon loaded with electric everything
>faster than 90% of what's on the street

Oh, for sure. First gens have AWD that shatters if you sneeze on it and second gens are the start of the Volvo: By Ferd™ era.

Hard to find and once I find one with a manual transmission of course it's overpriced. I also heard these require a lot of maintenance.

850Rs and V70Rs were never sold in manual in the 'states, IIRC.

What's a haldex and why should I care

Can't find one in good condition/lower millage.

Yeah volvo really screwed their American customers
>tfw no awd manual t5r

True, it's probably pretty comfy

Dad owned an S60R. Reasons not to own one:
>Maintenance that's twice as expensive as the regular T5 he owned before(despite doing his own maintenance as a mechanic instructor), >way worse gas mileage (thanks AWD)
>turning radius of a small ocean liner, rubs at full lock on the factory wheels
>suspension that might cost more to replace than an entire cheap secondhand T5 (first generation adaptive stuff)
>transmission issues, general electric issues

With the prices as they are nowadays, you're better off buying an entry level S60 as a daily and a weekend car. The R does neither very well.

Saw one of these today and thought:
That a Noice car
Volvos are cars for real car enthusiasts

And the automatics have terrible transmission issues.

Not just comfy, it's also really stable at speed. I can remember my dad getting in his when I was 15, accelerating up to usual speed into the 80 kph road near our town, expecting to do ~85, looking down at the speedo - and looking at a nice 135 kph on the speedo. Whoops.

The middle differential is basically a clutch (haldex clutch) which only transfers torque to the rear wheels when the front wheels start slipping. In most cases except for the first few meters the split is 50:50 between front and rear, in most cases more front biased. It's basically only a better fwd, no permanent awd. Has the advantage of a lower fuel consumption.

>swedish landbarge safety
not a selling point.
Safety a shit.

Handles like a tank because it has the curbweight of a tank. My fat cocker spaniel has more ground clearance.

It's a part time 4WD system that activates automatically with a clutch in the transfer case. It's terrible because it's very slow to react.

there are heavier vehicles that handle much better
like an e39 m5

the main issue is that it's a coupling with equal gearing front/rear so can never send more than 50% of power to the rear

>BMW handles better than a Volvo
No kidding?

>0-60 in less than 6s

You realize I can hit 90mph in 1st gear on my motorcycle? It takes about 3 seconds

Because I would never be able to afford the insurance on one until I'm 25 and working full time

I do have an appreciation for estate cars with big powerful engines though

I had a chance to get one but went with the S60R M66 because i didn't need a wagon.

Comfy a fuck. Though in parking lots its like turning a cargo ship.

On the track it handles really nice when i set up the 4c to advanced and turn off the DSTC.

Because I'm poor.
>turbo i5 sound
This. They sound so good. I miss working on the old 240's and 850's. The 240 is a god damn tank. I had a sweet 850R wagon that would come into the shop.
I'd own one of I could.

> comparing a motorcycle to a family car
No, don't be dense. What bike btw?
>i didn't need a wagon.
You never know user. It can come in handy when you're in a pinch. Plus dat sleeper value.

T5R and 850R never existed as AWD, as the AWD system made its debut in 1997.
The V70I R or 850R as a FWD Manual is a much better option, as they had a viscuous locking diff.

And a god damned bitch to work on

Lads, what about the T5 for a sleeper saloon that will not break the bank of a part-time working student?

t. europoor

rather have a 850r or 9-5 aero

or a 240 wagon with a v8 in it

you're better off getting a newer s60, its fast in straight line and comfy but definitely not a sporty car, I owned a 2005 S60 2.4 auto and a 2009 S60R manual.

>the main issue is that it's a coupling with equal gearing front/rear so can never send more than 50% of power to the rear
That's not really a problem and it's far from the main problem which is that the system is not even close to transparent, at least in the V70R.

The VAG haldex awd (4motion by VW or the quattro awd of Audis with transversal engines etc) can send up to 100% to the rear in extrem cases for a short while during starting afaik.

Longitudinal engine TorSen is the only real Quattro®™

>5er BMW handles better than Volvo's 3er competitor
That's the point.

Volvo died in '98

AWD only came with a proper gearbox for one year and with just 250hp

maybe in your cuntry

pls resbond

Internationally, all AWDs after the first batch were auto only.

Must have been a big batch, I can find used manual V70Rs registered from 2003-2006