In between for car and motorcycle - Tuk-tuk (Auto rickshaw)

Hey Veeky Forums, so in a few years I foresee myself owning a tiny house and a powerful truck to pull said house in addition to innawoods shenanigans/camping. But for commuting to work and the store I want something small and utilitarian, I could get something like Elio but that's not what I was leaning towards, a auto-rickshaw is what I was thinking of.
>"Just get a motorcycle/scooter fuck-o"
>"Just get a geo metro/Suzuki samurai fuck-o"

1. Car would be too much for travel if I have a gf/wife and we need to move the tiny house, so I want to be able to stow it in a pickup or attach it to the back of the tiny house like a bike with a car bike rack.
2. Motorcycle/scooter would either be too dangerous or the scooter would be gay.

Reasoning for getting a auto rickshaw:
>Good on gas, or you can get electric
>Parts are cheap, easy to work on
>Covered on top for rain, surrounded on all sides so safer (additionally I'm adding a roll cage)
>can be modified to my liking without mattering much aesthetically (roof rack, covered pickup bed, swap seats easily, add hippy shit or just make it look neat)
>Can be loaded into back of truck
>Can fit a 2nd person comfortably, maybe a 3rd even as opposed to a motorcycle
>Would be good for road trips if the engine is powerful enough, mostly just good for too and from work

Just add proper seatbelt + better seats and a roll cage and It'd make a nice commuter vehicle for a good price.

cont

Other urls found in this thread:

alibaba.com/product-detail/rickshaws-for-sale-usa-China-manufacture_60443501562.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.mfsgPl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

cont
The only issue is getting on, from what I've read it's very hard to obtain them in the US. A company called eTuk makes them in Denver but they start at around 20K which is fucking ridiculous plus they can't go past 25mph which is useless. Ebay doesn't have any from what I've seen, nor does craigslist after doing a nation wide search. Alibab does have them, and they are cheap BUT I don't know if shipping would be balls and getting it registered in the states.

So what do you guys think? Any suggestions on where to get one? Getting it registered and insured? Modifications I should do?s I'm looking at a Bajaj auto brand or anything I can get shipped here sub 2K in total, would do 3K. alibaba.com/product-detail/rickshaws-for-sale-usa-China-manufacture_60443501562.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.mfsgPl Is kinda what I'm looking for.

>Motorcycle would be too dangerous
Yeah - you don't belong innawoods

Tuk Tuk? More like Cuk Cuk lmao

>in a few years
>I forsee
>if I have a gf/wife
I think you're getting way ahead of yourself with the hypothetical scenario there.
>Elio
Vaporware.
>alibaba
Oh god what are you even doing.

I'm interning in CO atm as a wilderness ranger, shit ain't dangerous unless you're stupid. Sticking a motor between your legs going 75+ with nothing stopping you from hitting the ground is dangerous in my book, or I'm a pussy who knows
lmao
Maybe yeah
Yeah I think they might flop in the next year or so desu
>Alibaba
Tell that to /g/, they love that chink shit and don't have many issues besides shipping time

Subaru Fiori.

I dig it, will look into finding one state side don't know how common they are

>Sticking a motor between your legs going 75+ with nothing stopping you from hitting the ground is dangerous in my book
Then drive the fucking truck, Idiot. We're talking about your fallback/emergency vehicle here and a motorcycle is it. You're talking about living out of an Airstream here why the fuck would you need to be commuting at 75+ mph? The whole fucking point of that lifestyle is that it's low-cost and mobile. I won't even start on how stupid your little weeb-buggy is I'm sure other Anons have that covered.

You want something that can go on road trips, fits in the back of a pick up and is not a motorcycle?
And even though you think motorcycles are unsafe, you are considering a tuk-tuk?

He's planning to build a roll cage around it. Can you imagine?

You know you could just A-frame a Suzuki samurai behind your camper?

He already knows the right solutions, he mentioned them in his OP. I was already preparing to mention both of his green text items before I read them. Maybe this is a bait thread. Why would someone imagining a rugged outdoorsy lifestyle be fixated on this stupid little thing?

I don't need to commute at 75+, I'd take the truck for that. I need something for around town that isn't a scooter, bike, or motorcycle. And I'd prefer not to have a small car like a geo metro
Inside?
I suppose, I kinda like Samurais anyways
Can go on road trips but not necessarily, imagine like those big tricycle bikes that fat bikers ride but less stupid looking, and the roll cage to make it safer, obviously it isn't super safe but safer than a motorcycle in my opinion
not bait, I've just been researching this for a bit but don't know how stupid the idea is, in my head it sounds pretty great. The truck is for the rugged lifestyle and the tuk-tuk is for work and groceries, maybe cross country depending on how it handles/comfort

>tuk-tuk
>maybe cross country

Look up the rickshaw run m8, they are capable for sure

>I don't need to commute at 75+. I need something for around town
Then why did you say your concerns about bike safety were for speeds of 75+? What you want is a fucking bike. If you have a small dick or something you can buy more bike than you need for the purpose you're describing but a moped would take up less space. I've been thinking about getting one myself just to keep in the bed of my truck.

Motorcycles are only dangerous if you do dangerous shit with them. That goes for anything with wheels.
>good on gas
Motorcycles can get like 80 mpg if you stay out of power band.
>electric
They make electric motorcycles now that are fast as living fuck.
>parts are cheap
This goes for both. Wise to think about.
>covered
You're still going to get wet.
>surrounded
Roll cage or not, if you're going 45 mph and you tip shit over or you T-bone a minivan, you're fucked. What you really need to be thinking about is head protection, not roll cages.
>aesthetics
Can't really argue here I guess. To thine own self. I think it's gay as shit.
>can be loaded into a truck
I can load an oil drum with a dead hooker in it into my truck; that doesn't make it a good idea.
>3rd passenger
I'm picturing someone trying to get up a hill with 3 people and a 125cc thumper with a bunch of shit zip tied to the 100 pound roll cage.
>road trips
I wouldn't break 50 in that thing. Max.

>Aspires to being a tuktuk driving gypsy who lives in the woods.

I suppose anything's an upgrade from mom's basement

lemme try explaining again, I didn't get my point across from the beginning because it's kinda hard to explain.

I don't want a scooter because they lack the storage I would like and because most scooters are hit n' miss (ruckus would be okay), bikes use a too much energy than I'd want to use commuting to work (unless my work is close but I doubt that). Motorcycle seems too dangerous for me because I'm a puss, again lack of storage for groceries and ect. Also all 3 you gotta worry about the weather, and where I live it'd hot and rains a ton.

Small car could work but I don't want to deal with towing it behind my house plus the extra weight for the unused space inside unless it's a two door. Also larger footprint than I'd like size wise. The car can be customized but with a rickshaw it's so cheap I can add lots of neat shit and resale value doesn't mean shit. I can add a roof rack or flood lights or even drop in a motorcycle engine (again, it's safer because I'm enveloped and the added roll cage.

As for the cross country thing, I figured having a motorcycle would be cool to travel around but the lack of room for camping gear and other shit kinda sucks, but I wouldn't want a small car because it's more to deal with and with the tuk-tuk I could fit that in smaller spaces like a motor cycle. Plus only as much vehicle as I need for myself and maybe my dog, don't need all those extra seats.

Moped isn't a bad idea, I like what you're saying but I just want a bit more but not a full car more, so the tuk tuk seems like middle ground for me.

Get a mortgage you you fucking sperglord

If you know how to use luggage racks, you can literally fit a dozen gallons of milk onto the back seat of a motorcycle.
>it's hot
It'll be hot in a rickshaw too. I live in Texas. It's hot with the AC on full ass blast. Demonstrable fact.
>too much energy
Ride conservatively and you can well top 75 or 80 mpg on an actual motorcycle. Scooters can get even higher.
>I'm a vagina
I can't fix that.

A rickshaw is not a good idea. The people telling you this are motorcyclists. Some of them experienced motorcyclists. They offer no benefit in space, efficiency, speed, cost, or safety.

>being non sedentary
Interesting.

>Motorcycles are only dangerous if you do dangerous shit with them. That goes for anything with wheels.
Other drivers make it dangerous, plus normally small accidents in a car are a much bigger deal on a motorcycle
>Motorcycles can get like 80 mpg if you stay out of power band.
True but a tuk tuk can be aswell
>They make electric motorcycles now that are fast as living fuck.
Neat
>This goes for both. Wise to think about
True, still 2 for 2
>still gonna get wet
Less wet, plus I might get full doors on the side or just the canvas bits
>Rollcage issue
If I get it made propper it should keep me from getting real fucked up, no airbag so a helmet would be smart but I don't wanna have to wear one in it, so maybe I could find a work around
>aethetics
Yeah I really like how they look, like motos too but these really get me
>truck load
yeah I suppose, it's just more convenient than towing it like a big convoy plus otherwise the truck bed might be empty
>I'm picturing someone trying to get up...
Yeahhh I'd get some looks but those engines are so easy to work on I could swap it, plus I don't plan on carrying many people but I could. Also no hills where I live back home so np
>I wouldn't break 50
Again, roll cage and most are built well since they need to last for poor farmers
I don't want that debt nigger, at the most I want a small car payment on something preowned

>luggage racks
I guess but throwing it into the back of my tuk tuk would be more convenient, also fool proof for gf/wife
>hot issue
I live in Florida, I know perfectly well
>Ride conservatively
that was meant for the bicycle, as in physical energy from my bodi, I know a moto is better on gas already
Yeah I am a vagina when it comes to motorcycles I've seen too many people squashed on the side of the road and don't trust other drivers

I like what you're saying but I still want to go for the tuk, motos aren't my thing man so this seems like the next logical choice

not quite but you got the woods part right, I am no friend of gypsies that's for damn sure. Actually getting a useful degree not a NEET

I respect the fact that you're trying to solve a complex problem elegantly with a simple solution. Critical thinking is something that so many people lack, and you are exhibiting it well here.

Functionally, one of these rickshaws is nearly identical to a golf cart. Imagine if you bought a golf cart, had a roll cage fabricated for it, and zip tied a 250cc bike engine to the crankshaft. Done.
>not saying you should do this, this is a thought exercise

Would you ever take a golf cart up to cruising speed? High center of gravity, made even higher by the addition of a cage. Cornering would be a prayer every time at best, especially with cargo and passengers.

They make motorcycles specifically for this kind of thing. They're small, efficient, can run at speed, carry cargo, and carry a passenger if you need them to. Easy to work on, and easy to modify however you like. Even pretty cheap.

Dirt bikes. Street legal dirt bikes with radial tires. You can fit 4 of them into a pickup truck. 5 into a trailer if you're dumb enough to be creative.

>farmers
I get that it's kind of romantic to feel like you're earthy and connected with faggot shit or whatever. Done that.

It would be a great idea for about a month.

I've said my peace. You made up your mind before you ever made this thread.

At least wear a helmet. A roll cage isn't going to do shit.

And sorry if I'm being an acrid dick.

>too scared to ride a motorcycle but is willing to operate a rickshaw which is not only slower but more unstable than a motorcycle and has the same level of safety features as a motorcycle (i.e. none)
>scooters are ok but are again less safe than a motorcycle with less power, nothing to hold onto with your legs and tiny little wheels that make it unstable at speed

You're being contradictory. A tuk-tuk/rickshaw thing has all the downsides of a motorcycle with literally none of the benefits except for being able to carry more shit.

3 wheelers have some practical value, as they can carry more at higher speed than a bicycle. But the worth of it is only really found in developing countries such as South-East Asia and Italy.

>alibaba

Local wildlife part bought some electric chinese bus / golf kart kind of thing to do park tours. The quality was pretty poor. I know. I had to fix part of the thing.

Yeah that's why I was looking on ebay and anywhere local but there isn't many choices
But it can keep me dry, more aerodynamic, carrying more shit is it's main purpose but additionally it gives me the freedom of a motorcycle but with a full cab with added comfort (again, because I'm a moto pus)
You have made a lot of good points, none of these are going to the wayside I'm really thinking about other choices but for now I'm gonna see how far I can take it and if I figure it's downright stupid then no harm done. And yeah I'll wear a helmet, I enjoy being alive
Thanks, I'm actually a drafting and design student so this is why I picked such a odd vehicle for what I need. You make a good point with the golf cart, I could add weight to the bottom to lower the center of gravity but that would be counter productive since it'd kill my mpg and speed.
>dirt bikes
Yeah I've looked into a expedition style bike that you see loaded up for cross country but I really want the cab.
>earthy faggot shit
Yeah, a tuk tuk in the US would be pretty hippy-esk, perhaps I'd get tired of it quick like you're saying but because of their rarity if it doesn't work then selling it shouldn't be a issue.

Overall from what everyone has said I should probably just get a motorcycle or scooter, might look at getting something like pic related with a bit more power perhaps. I appreciate everyone's suggestions, wasn't sure how you fellas on Veeky Forums would react but you guys were cool about it. Anyone have suggestions for a cabin motorcycle?

Golf cart? Side by side?

>use commuting to work (unless my work is close but I doubt that)
Again with this shit. Why the fuck would you have a long commute when you live in a camper?

Piss off Tuk-tuk, Bajaj is king.

Hon.

>spent ages writing a long reply about why you should get a motorcycle
>phone ate it

The tl;dr of it was motorcycles are safer than a tuk-tuk because they can keep up with (and exceed if needed) the speed of traffic and don't tip over if you go around a corner too quickly.

Storage capacity is moot because you can get panniers, bags and a top box or rack and anything that doesn't fit in/on those can be shipped or you can put in your truck.

You're irrationally hating and being scared of something that doesn't deserve it. Bikes are a wonderful tool to have, don't be put off by all the idiots killing themselves from poor decisions they made.

Wear decent gear and you won't lose half your skin if you come off and don't buy some stupid fast bike as your first because it's just asking for it. Anything with less than 80hp and 650 or so cc should be fine to start on within reason.

Also don't get a scooter like in your pic, the screen does nothing. If you're wearing a full face helmet and decent gear the wind isn't an issue.

I'd love to own a side by side but not what I'm looking for
Not a camper, tiny house
Read above, I was looking at Bajajs
yeah everyone is telling me motorcycles are the way to go, I still want a cabin though so that's why I posted that pic (also I'd look fly as fuck pick up so much puss). If I'm getting a cycle I'd want something utilitarian, fairly comfy, and I can load it up. Don't care for choppers or Harleys, Jap sport bikes are a bit overkill for me.

Any suggestions? Don't see motos listed on the sticky

Scooters with cabins look goofy imo, and they don't do much to protect you from anything.

Ninja 250 (older ones can be hand for cheap, GS500/Ninja 500/ER5 etc, any dualsport (key word: dualsport; don't get an MX bike) like the Suzuki DR series or Kawasaki KLR series if you want off road ability.

I'd say talk to the Daily Bike Thread but those threads are a complete shit show so ehh, wouldn't recommend it.

Also read the sticky. >>>/10361928/

Hopefully that link works.

If you're going to get a bike then spend a decent amount in gear. If you come off it's the difference between healing broken bones or sprained muscles and getting skin grafts because the road cheese gartered you up. A good full face helmet, gloves and boots (not shoes, boots) are a must imo.

But my friend it's a motorcycle with a cabin, the 200 goes rather fast! I think I'm falling for it,

>>>/10361928/
>Hopefully that link works.

It's the same as linking to any other post.

I don't see the appeal honestly, it's the worst points of both a car and a bike combined with almost none of the benefits of either.

It's based on a scooter isn't it? So it's heavy and slow and unstable all at the same time.

For some reason I thought it needed a crossboard link instead.

Doesn't matter now, turns out they aren't in the US, same with the only other similar bike. Welp, back to the bajaj

Been playing JC2?

>Not a camper, tiny house
You've been watching some retarded shit on HGTV haven't you.