Is car collecting even going to be a thing in 20 years?

Is car collecting even going to be a thing in 20 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

businessinsider.com/report-10-million-self-driving-cars-will-be-on-the-road-by-2020-2015-5-6
techinsider.io/elon-musk-owning-a-car-in-20-years-like-owning-a-horse-2015-11
theverge.com/transportation/2015/3/17/8232187/elon-musk-human-drivers-are-dangerous
wired.co.uk/article/driving-cars-illegal-2030
sciencealert.com/the-netherlands-is-making-moves-to-ban-all-non-electric-vehicles-by-2025
trueactivist.com/by-2030-driving-will-be-illegal-heres-why/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, of course not. I can't wait until everyone throws away their McLaren f1s and Ferrari 250s in cash for clunkers to get their ad-based car that won't turn on until you watch a 2 minute YouTube clip.

self driving is the future and i'm just asking if collecting will be a part of it. but cool tantrum though

leel

>self driving is the future

No thanks, I like to drive, actually. Why the fuck are you on this board if you don't like to drive? Fuck off back to

it's not about whether you like driving. it will be outlawed in the next 100 years user you can't deny this will happen

I'd move somewhere where the liberal cucks and Silicon valley millennials haven't taken over and outlawed driving, then. Fuck that noise. I hope that Elan faggot gets into an accident in one of his self-driving cars.

>it will be outlawed in the next 100 years user you can't deny this will happen
so you have a crystal ball and looked into the future and saw that they are for sure banning humans from driving cars?

Retard

i'm not even him but you're a fucking literal moron if you think that isn't the way things are going to go.

you must be really young or just uneducated to think otherwise

>"trust me bro. I don't actually have any reputable sources or information but you just gotta believe me :^)"
^^you idiots

businessinsider.com/report-10-million-self-driving-cars-will-be-on-the-road-by-2020-2015-5-6

techinsider.io/elon-musk-owning-a-car-in-20-years-like-owning-a-horse-2015-11

theverge.com/transportation/2015/3/17/8232187/elon-musk-human-drivers-are-dangerous

wired.co.uk/article/driving-cars-illegal-2030

sciencealert.com/the-netherlands-is-making-moves-to-ban-all-non-electric-vehicles-by-2025

trueactivist.com/by-2030-driving-will-be-illegal-heres-why/

b-b-b-ut that's only speculation!! wah don't take away my cars!!!!!

these are all opinions and speculation though making a sarcastic post about it doesn't make it untrue

Looking more broadly, the dominance of cars over transport is ending. Especially in freight, with the feds looking strongly at tolling interstate roads (MAP-21, passed 2012, already got us halfway there) railroads will take most of the long-haul trucking business and Greyhound will become more mainstream (rather than just a thing homeless people use).

As a result, there's no real reason for self-driving cars in the first place. As transit systems get modernized (such as LA's new light rail, or CA HSR), taxi services in general will suffer. Most will end up contracting themselves out to landlords or to counties (to replace senior shuttles). Google/Uber's hyped autocars will, once built, be immediately redundant. Autocars were built for 1966, not 2066.

Likewise, to make full advantage of autocars we need bigger, faster roads, and stoplights done away with (as all three only slow down self-driving cars). Planners will not do this since it's neither pedestrian or transit friendly. The only reason cars came to dominance in the first place was the Eisenhower Interstate System, which took a full 50 years and trillions to see to completion. As that is tolled up, VMTs (as expected) will decrease so high-end self driving cars have no market.

For a particularly notable example, here is the LAX/Crenshaw line presently under construction. Once complete in 2019 it will service LAX via a people mover system. As such, anyone who lives around transit in socal now has a way to get to the airport without a cab or shuttle. Likewise for visitors. Local taxis will get fucked as it will take most of their business. As a result, there's no way any company could reasonably justify developing or building a fleet of autocars.

The same is happening all across the US, as suburbs begin to urbanize. The largest market of potential autocar buyers/users, rich suburbanites, are a very small minority in the bigger picture.

Cyberpunk dystopia by 2020

>It's safer
>We need to preserve all you little sources of tax dollars and labor
>Also we're bringing back forced labor so forget taxes no more taxes yay

If you want to use the safety argument, then cities would rather just invest more money into transit than invest more into road expansion/modernization for autocars. A 12m long bus can hold 50 people, compared to four 3m cars carrying at most 16 people. Less cars on the road in general means less accidents by default. This is especially true when autocars, to be seen to their fullest potential, will require road modernization that cities do not want to pay for compared to cheaper transit.

Then again, this only applies to the US. Europe is full of idiots that will ban anything.

no one car will be enought for the average nu-male cuck household.

>self driving is the future
Worlds a big place, some of those places your robot car will shit itself and die

Most AI car research for DARPA has shown driving out there is a lot simpler than doing it in a city.

>oh wow a big open area with minimal moving obstacles
>i wonder if that's harder than tight areas with tons of moving objects
we already have perfected the art of robots driving without worrying about other moving vehicles
they're great at figuring out terrain and how to avoid

Mexico?

>1950
>By 1980 every car will have its own nuclear plant and autopilot. Some will even fly!

did they have prototypes of those in the 50s? no, but the self-drivers are starting production in a couple years

Following the SL-1 incident, work on portable nuclear generators stopped since the Army didn't want to deal with it anymore.

>but the self-drivers are starting production in a couple years

As a feature in existing cars. They'll be operator aides that will come as an add on with an OnStar (or comparable) service. But, full autocars aren't going to happen anytime soon because neither the legal nor physical infrastructure exists to support it.