Why do so many car enthusiasts/journalists like turbos on older cars but dislike them on newer cars?

Why do so many car enthusiasts/journalists like turbos on older cars but dislike them on newer cars?

Turbos used to be cool, now everybody and their mom gets a turbo on their new car turbos are no longer cool

because new turbo are in cars for MPG and pollution not for more power

Because in older cars they were there for speed.
In newer cars they're there for efficiency, and aren't applying more actual power.

Because modern auto journalists are dumb hipsters with "I knew it before it was cool" mentality.

Yet modern turbos are more efficient and more reliable.

>Not applying any actual power

This is false.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim? I like turbos still, and I don't know anyone who does except guys who go with the other 3 routes as a main.

I said MORE, not ANY

/threadmind

Well done, Veeky Forums.

Old turbos added personality, new turbos remove personality.

>that lag followed by a sudden gust of acceleration when the boost starts pouring on
>that obnoxiously loud whistling and whining with no fake noise being played over it

Are you saying a first generation MX6 GT is a "cool" car that can be a Takumi car?

Where did I ever say that

Any
>meaning more then the base

more the base meaning
>more

Any
> could be more or less. it could be ANY number
you fucking idiot.

old Turbocharged cars were purely for the power.

The turbochargers now adays are still for the power, but they are strapped to smaller engines to make the same amount of power you would have needed larger engines for in the past.

they are still there for speed, It allows you to have a 1.6L engine putting out 200 hp rather then putting around at 100 hp.

>Not applying.

Applying by defination quantified the Any as more.

>In newer cars they're there for efficiency, and aren't applying more actual power.
False.

Let's use the new refresh of the Porsche 911 for example. It has a turbo 3L for muh mpgs and makes 370hp. The pre-refresh model had a 3.4L NA engine making 350hp. The new, smaller engine with turbos is more fuel efficient (off boost) than the old NA engine, and way more fuel efficient than a NA 370hp 3L would be.

Probably because EGR valves are literal engine cancer

you're a salesman's wet dream

No I'm not you complete and utter retard, way to miss the point. I am explaining a FACT to a moron, not saying I want the car you fuckwit.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't buy a post-refresh 991 Carrera, no way in hell. I'd go for an earlier GT3.

This user is correct

stop getting mad at the truth user

yeah, turbos everywhere just means NA has become the cooler option