Dream Project Car

Describe your dream project car, whether it's realistic or not.

I want a mid-engine V8. Because that's the best layout and engine, right? So my idea is to use a classic VW Beetle chassis/body, an aluminum SBC like an LS1, and an Audi 01E or Porsche G50 transaxle. I'd give it a Baja kit and use it for rallycross.

Other urls found in this thread:

annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5673204622.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_SI6_engine
youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3jXFJMVrc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Nissan S-Cargo in beer fridge white
>built n/a SR16VE and gearbox out of a Pulsar VZR-N1 swapped in instead of the stock E15E and three speed automagic
>fully built suspension and brakes
>banded stock steelies with super sticky rubber and custom plastic wheel flares made to look like the stock ones except wider
>little bit of weight reduction, half cage in the back
>couple of frangipanni stickers on the back for +25kW each
>????
>touge snail

Yeah front of the rear axle is best position.
I once thought in those terms, best this best that.

Now Im focusing on the feel FEEL of the car,it has to give me the feels.

Like for example, old Shelby cobra, wasnt ideal weight distribution but that car has character.

Without going into the specifics, I want a bulletproof engine, something that can take hard use day in day out and serve me well. I once dreamed about 1000 bhp skylines, I look fondly at that, but Id rather have reliable 250 hp in a light car.

My project car would be hours and hours of fine tuning an old pre-modern ecu (1980's) engine into a smooth beast that I love.

Responsiveness, smooth power delivery, low weight /good distribution, excellent durability, simple maintenance, custom made certain parts to achieve that.

A car fun to drive and modest in measurements, not these big bloated fucks of today.

>buy a Ferrari and make a Pontiac Fiero replica out of it
>???
>Profit

diesel jeep
the problem is swapping the engine would cost as much as a few years worth of fuel, so it wouldn't be to save money

>1961 or '62 Pontiac Tempest wagon
>fenders/front fascia and quarter panels/tail lights replaced with 1961 or '62 Buick Special wagon parts (exchangable)
>chopped into a ute using its own curved tailgate glass backwards behind the cab and some custom fabricated B-pillars (better than this shoop of course)
>3.5L Rover V8 crate engine with a turbo (homage to the aluminium Buick unit that was an option on the original Pontiac and Buick and was wrongly abandoned by GM, turbo as a homage to the Jetfire version of the sister car Oldsmobile F85/Skylark)
>Corvette C5 driveshaft, transaxle and suspension (fab required but expectedly possible since the Tempest has fully independent suspension and a transaxle from the factory)
Pontiac El Tempino Jetfire Special Z06

I wanna buy a very cheap used RWD.
>Strip it down and create a very different body to it.
>My friend is an aerodynamicist so I can create different designs on clay and test it out in his work place's wind tunnel.
>Another friend of mine is a fabricator and owns a garage of his own and also works with fiber and plastic.

Maybe it'll go right? IDK What do you think?

Series 3 Landrover, BMW M67 diesel engine converted to mechanical injection, permanent 4x4, slightly widened original steelies, proper soundproofing, ohlins meme coilovers.

>RX-7 S5 Turbo II in white
>turbo'd 20B swap w/ street porting & rotor lightening
>T56 transmission w/ straight cut gears
>6 piston brembo's front and 4 piston rear.
>racing beat cat-back exhaust
>completely upgrade suspension
>larger aftermarket radiator

Damn user, that gave me a boner.

I just bought an FC and I fuckin love it, rarest colour too. Brave blue which is pretty much midnight blue but metallic. I'd love to put a 26B in it, N/A or supercharged, and have it rev to 11k

idk i just want a naturally aspirated triple rotor FD producing at least 300whp

i want to make the ultimate sleeper

>4wd volvo 855
>bmw S54, with big single tarbo
>blow out valve because of that glorious noise
>slightly lowered
>18 inch steelies, preferably slightly rusty
>mate them with R-tires
>upgraded brakes, suspension etc
>leave interior as much original as possible, maybe try modify the seats a bit to make the hug you a little better
>preferably tow hook, childs seat or other stuff that would suggest tired family car

BMW E30 m60b40 swap, comfy coil overs none that stance bullshit. redo interior and use for DD.

a countach with a twin turbo aventador engine conversion

Yeah I'm going to save up for an FC project car myself... Sadly Turbo II's aren't common or cheap but I'll make it happen.

Would Have to move out of California if I want to do any engine swap like a 20B or 26B lol.

True. A 20B is feasible for me, a 26B not so much. But it's my dream.

I'd start with a N/A car. It's still kickass to drive, and you can swap in another engine later. I'm loving mine right now.

Why permanent 4x4?

I have a few, all BMW's, and a couple in various stages of build.

> 2001 BMW 750iL
> M73 overbore to 6.0
> BoostedLogic or similar SC setup
> E60 M5 HUD
> NBT
> E60 M5 SMG

> 2005 325iT
> S54
> SMG
> Exterior and interior bits
> E60 M5 HUD
> NBT

> 2003 540iT
> 6HP28
> VAC stage 2 heads
> Non fragile cooling system / timing chain guides

annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/5673204622.html

I found an unmolested 240

I'm gonna do horrible widebody things to it

V8 780 sleeper

Ever since I saw FnF Tokyo Drift I've always dreamed of getting a 67 mustang and dropping some jap engine in it. Be it an RB or maybe 2jz. Unrealistic at the moment because decent fastbacks in the north east are going for over 20k. Plus everything to modernize it and swap the engine. Would probably take 50-70k to get it how I want depending on labor. Impossible now because I'm in college. I have been thinking about getting a 67 coupe for a DD now though.

rally spec CRX

I have no idea how I'd do it, but it seems like it'd be cool as shit if done correctly

Buying an rx8 with a blown engine and swapping a ford gt ecoboost into it. All memes aside u think it would be a super fun car. More realistically, maybe put an LS or 2jz in it.

A homebrew electric drift missile. Dat torque.

>rally spec
what do you mean by this?

swap the FWD to RWD, put a beefier engine in it, roll cage, etc

>thinking there's much benefit to RWD on such a lightweight, short wheelbase platform
Mini won rallies and touring car championships with a FWD tissue box and a lawn mower engine.

idiot

It changes every week, but I've loved the idea of a Datsun 280z with a an LS for awhile now.

I can understand AWD, but just ditching front drive altogether is counterproductive. RWD looks cool, but absolutely fucking useless off tarmac compared to other two drives- safe and easy FWD and fast and easy AWD.

Carbon bodied tube frame ground effect hillclimb special with a twincharged methanol-fuelled superbike engine.

3.0 v10 biturbo
900kW
awd
active suspension
8 active wings
hybrid turbo
rear wheel steering
steer-by-wire
BRAKE-by-wire
some uber valve lift and timing control
f1-like steering wheel

>BMW Z3
>Z8 Body Kit
>Cover up the weird Juke-esque top lights
>Widen the grill, add another pair of foglights to act as normal headlamps
>Side exhaust
>Leather bonnet straps
>LS Swap

You got me interested right until you mentioned the engine.

XJ12

I mean, i suppose it's not my dream project car, but it's the one that i'll be doing eventually.

Not really sure about dream project because, there'd just be so many that i'd want to do. The jag is what i've settled on though.

Or you could install a Barra. Those things are direct descendants of the Mustang I6 anyway.

Why not just get a Shelby kit car?

I've got many pipe dreams but the one I keep coming back to is a built E36 coupe
>S65 swap with Dinan stroker, Fluid Motor Union ITBs and 8-1 equal-length sequential headers if space permits
>Painted CFRP roof, doors and bonnet
>Clean rear seat delete and minimalistic interior
>Suspension overhaul with ceramic brakes
>DTM fiberwerkz flares (pic related), fully moulded to hide mounting rivets
>17" Apex ARC-8 wheels with meaty treads to fill out the fenders

>Under 1400kg, preferably 1200kg
>4L I6 engine, 200-250kW. Optional turbo
>Two door, 4 seats
>Clean looks, no over the top "rice" shit
>6 speed manual
>FR

A light weight, coupe XRT6 is my dream car. I fucking love those things.

Some guys can drink and drive, some guys cant. I mean...What is drunk...Really?. Is drunk swerving all over the road?.

first gen Oldsmobile Silhouette minivan, Built 455ci FWD Toronado drivetrain mounted mid ship with hiem joints in place of tie rods locking the spindles straight, firewall behind the front seats, boat headers out of the rear window. jacked up with huge slicks and a straight axle out front like an old gasser

Take an old jap car (AE86 is a good choice because light shell, though an RX7 would probably look better) strip the engine and powertrain, install a buff electric motor and batteries.

The goal is just to make it fast for a drag race of sorts, I mean half an hour of battery life would be enough and would keep the weight low and the power high.

Then proceed to smoke the living shit out of ricers while simultaneously trolling the entire JDM fanbase.

Way she fucking goes

>fiero with testarossa body kit
>k20c1 swap

I've got several, but the main thing on my mind is adapting a Mini VTEC subframe to a Trabant, and stuffing a V12 into a W126 coupe, which only came with a V8, sadly.

'69 Old Vista Cruiser:
>Exterior straight from That '70s Show
>Built EFI 455
>8L90 or ZF 8HP transmission
>Ford 9'' with 3.55 gears
>bags for an even comfyer ride

Why would you pick that BMW I6, when Volvo already has a straight six made for boosting? Keep it in the family mang.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_SI6_engine

'70 Mustang, coupe (Not a fastback), with a Cammer. Make it look like someone in the early 70's built it, with all the Boss 429-style goodies - but hide some modern practicality underneath, like EFI, all-aluminium block and heas and a GV overdrive. Basically a street/strip monster.

>V8 780 sleeper
Use this: youtube.com/watch?v=vQ3jXFJMVrc

I'd go with the 2.3 DISI Turbo from the MPS3/6, which is basically the granddaddy of the modern Ecoboost. Keeping it in the Mazda family, and not moving the weight too much forwards like you'' be doing with a JZ.

>get italian coach builder to make me a classic 1960s body
>put bored RB30 naturally aspirated engine inside

Only thing I'm not sure about is engine position. Normally, GTs have the engine in the front but maybe I'd tell Luigi to build it in the middle making it look more like the Ferrari 250 LM rather than the Ferrari 250 SWB.

Pic related is the Effeffe Berlinetta, a modern coachbuilt GT.

Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nür, fully retromodded to modern supercar standards

>Body & chassis redone entirely in carbon fiber, or that carbo-tanium stuff Pagani uses in the Huayra
>Full aluminum block RB engine, mated to a modern Dual-clutch transmission and wired to run a modern GT-R's ATTESA and on board monitoring systems.
>Magnesium or hollow carbon wheels, Carbon-ceramic brakes
>Basically follow Porsche/Koenigsegg's weight-reduction techniques for the 918 Weissach/One:1 and mod the drivetrain and running gear as a tuner like AMS might on an R35

An AWD CRX would be tits though. I guess you could hook up a nicely built K20 to some AWD CR-V bits. It'd be a bit fragile, but that wouldn't matter on a loose surface, where drivetrain stress is mitigated.

A RWD CRX is quite cool though, pic related. Although, when Honda put the CRX up for GT4 duty with a 200hp engine, it could spank some GT2 cars, depending on the track. It's simply a very, very capable (and light!) chassis.

You'd be better off running just a turbo and antilag, adding a supercharger for boost down low simply adds weight - and hillclimb specials are light as fuck.

If it's a dream car, why LS swap it? I'd put an S85 in there.

I somehow always dreamed of modernising a 280ZX turbo. The engine itself seems to be pretty tough, there seems to be a decent aftermarket but the turbo setup is prehistoric (no intercooler, afaik not even a bov). So modernising the engine, get a chunky suspension and restoring the interior/exterior but leaving everything optical stock.

Another dream of mine would be getting a VW New Beetle and making it keep up with the RSi version (stiffer chassis and suspension and one of the VAG VR6 engines, maybe turboing it) while keeping the exterior stock. The car is such a fucking faggoty one that it would be a perfect sleeper. Also I'm way too tall and New Beetles are pretty comfortable for me to drive.

The sole thought of heavily modifying an S-Cargo makes my heart skip a beat.

Regardless of the result it sounds as if it's worth the journey with that small team you got.

+ better brakes and driveline on both, mustn't forget that. also at least 4motion on the beetle like the rsi, better some permanent awd