How the fuck do people afford tires for autocross? is it all they do? is it just a rich man's hobby?

how the fuck do people afford tires for autocross? is it all they do? is it just a rich man's hobby?

They stopped working part time at mcdonalds.

Being able to afford a spare set does not a rich man make

Just get some steelies and throw some nice rubber on them. Only use them for autocross. They will last a good while that way.

A set lasts like a full season for most guys. I think when you get up to the national level people go crazy on tires though.

I guess I'm just plebbing out on street tires. A set for the track and a set for the street is the way to go then? I guess specialization > all-purpose.

Cars as a hobby are mostly a "rich man's" game

I use my street tires if it was standing rain and all else race tires. Also track days will eat up your tires quick. If you want to save your money just stick to autox.

getting used tires from a racing team/track guy is another option. Some teams will sell tires cheap after a few test laps or when they get old (old for a race =/= cracked 10 y/o tires). The speeds and duration of conefagging aren't enough of an issue.

yes

>Tfw autocrossed a ed civic
>Tfw full set cost of tires cost $200
Autocross a shitbox civic. Everything is cheap as fuck on it.

What are those holes in that Potenza tire? It's not like it ran across a police tire strip.

They are for measuring tread depth.

>buy RE-11A or RE-71R tires
>enjoy fun summer DD + season of autocross
>done

its cheaper to buy the cars for yourself and not get compedative because its a rat race

Race teams sell their "used" tyres all the time. For the top teams, once the tyre has been through a single heat cycle it will never reach peak performance again and therefore is junk.

I just bought a set of re71 on wheels off someone who moved up to stx. Tires are not that expensive and you really feel a difference. Get any summer tires, I had hankook Ventus v12 and saw an improvement over all seasons and the re71 are even better yet.

Fug

>DD on re71r
>A full season

Muh sides.

Works fine on a Miats. Of course, I didn't account for some regions having calendars that have more than one event every other month, unlike the El Paso region I was a part of... Short sessions (

all I know is $800 -is about 1-2 weekends in road racing
Those same tires last a season in autocross

Shit

This season I have been running 2-3 times a month since season opener in April. I also travel to the neighboring regions for extra seat time but change tires at the event. I may even be getting points in the next region over I spend so much time there.

>how the fuck do people afford tires for autocross?
>implying autocross eats tires up like track days do

I did one TNA and it was not nearly as rough on my tires as autocross since it was not as hard cornering.

If you did not wear your tires more at an open track day than at an autocross, you were not going fast enough.

Do they not offer tires to winners in your class? NASA has quite a few contingencies where the top 3 get rubber as part of their prize.

If so:
>get gud :^)

Hope the build is going well.

I race a local series
build is going great.... it's done
I need to get some on track footage together and rendered but this weekend is another race, so priorities

USED TIRES.

I picked up 22 tires from people not rallying any more and teams discarding use after a few stages.

$800 for everything you see here.

Stockpiling as I don't intend on them lasting very long, see:

That too,
If your car fits 205/50r15 (or you can get wheels for that size)
talk to the spec miata guys at your local track about their old race tires

>need to get gud to get tires
>need to get tires to get gud

I guess I could suck dick until I'm good
inb4 'you already suck dick'

My first time on a track, I suppose I could push harder. But it was also on my hankooks and not the re71r. Hoosiers are not even allowed in my class and I might as well just run re71r with coil overs in stx and and avoid racing highly modified miatas.

What are you running?

>autocross
>motorsport

hey snibs get a better job and do stage rally m8

>tyres
>expensive
they are literally the least expensive part of the car right next to fuel and other consumables

dont mean to sound like a dick but $500-1000 on rubber every year or so isnt that bad when you think about it

that said im a poorfag and cant afford a 2nd set and autocross is gay

>muh cones and times
meh

because $400 is so much for a year

autocross is lame shit tho

come on dude don't you want to shag cones for 6 hours in the heat to drive for 10 minutes at slower speeds than a kart track?

Sorta unrelated question, but I'm thinking about buying some Pilot Sports for my DD. My current tires are Dunlop Sport Maxx 235/45s with about 4k miles on them, would they worth anything?

yeah man sounds awesome

why would I simply go kart racing or driving in the mountains when I could do that

Because it is A: in a real car B: typically tighter terrain than mountains C: safer than speeding on the street D: some autocross events are held on Gocart tracks F: gives you quantifiable results of how you did and scores you against the competition. And did I mention that cops won't hassle you at events?
I don't have a track closer than 5hours away so I do autocross.

Go karting is infinitely more valuable than autox

Pix of your gokart