How insane would I be to get a vintage Beetle as my Daily Driver?

How insane would I be to get a vintage Beetle as my Daily Driver?

>6'2 (188cm) tall
>drive 14 miles round trip to work
>24 miles round trip to gym
>have my wifes car for any longer trips if needed

Other urls found in this thread:

vw-resource.com/economy.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That's stupid as fuck

Would probably be alright if you knew how to fix it when stuff breaks, you should fit as long as your're not 75% leg

Well I'm 6', and no problem driving a Beetle.
I'd happily daily one.

if you live somewhere it snows, you're fucked because beetles are oversteer prone and death traps

I'd drive one if I wasn't afraid of it turning into a pile of salt and iron filings.

Really fucking stupid
>classic engines barely make 50hp and can go to 60 in 20+ seconds
>rear swing axle on pre 67s so emergency maneuvers are hilariously bad
>also rear swing axle means that it will get blown across the lanes in either a crosswind or being passed by bigger vehicles
>you will get crushed like a soda can in an accident
>if the heads are original you will need to use a lead-like additive in your fuel
>gas mileage is shit for as weak as the engine is
>they aren't reliable

I live in the south east US so we only get 1 or 2 snows a year. I have my old YJ still for that.

Why do people think 0-60 matters in daily drivers?

don't listen to others unless they too daily a bug.

I daily a 65 and have for 3 years. I'm 21 not an old aircooled head. Great option. Carry an 10 and 13mm, some duct tape, zip ties, and a screw driver and you can fix any roadside repair. I have broken down once because of a shit chinese electric fuel pump the PO installed, to no fault of the car. Whatever year you choose if you prefer a pre67 (like your OP) you will want one that is 12v, very easy to convert and you get a 1600 instead of the 40hp engine.

Buy the manual and you will not have leaky heads. swing axles perform completely fine, I drive mine on the highway 40 miles a day at 70mph no problem.

if you live in the snow your in great luck. With the RR configuration and stock tires, the beetle gets great traction and you will not need to worry about getting stuck.

I get 25mpg in a car made 50 years ago with my 1600cc.

That said if you want more horsepower there is never ending support for bug and you can easily make an engine capable of very fast times. I've built 1776cc engines, 1915cc, engines and 1800 for less than $1500 while doubling stock horsepower.

Emergency maneuvers, getting out of the way

>doubling stock horsepower.
woah careful man you're pushing triple digits!

I thought the 1300 were all 12v

Up to 66 are all 6v

So anything post 66 is 12v?

How nu-male do you look+air cooled isn't that fun.

>air-cooled isn't that fun
>he's never driven a 930 Porsche

Your length shouldn't be a problem, just shove the seat back and treat the rear seats as cargo space.
Both gym and work on a single day should be pretty easy to do. Having a backup car is pretty much mandatory if you don't want to get fired.

Given the very low range, I'd almost consider an EV conversion Beetle in your case.

No but i own a Corvair and i really miss a radiator.

Not him, but a 100+hp Beetle is really nice

people did it in the past so why the fuck cant you?

Because the beetle's top speed is now minimum speed for commuters.
You shouldn't run an air cooled engine that hard anyway.

Yes. In my opinion after 67 the looks went to shit with the forward headlights, rear lights, square bumpers, and curved windshields. The post 67 also got ball joint front ends and irs. The goldmine is a pre67 body on a post 67 frame.

That said you can make a pre67 perform just fine, as it seems mild daily driving is your goal there's no worries there.

If you don't wrench pick up "how to keep your vw alive" within weeks you will be able to fix any problem you may have with the car in a matter of hours

the best beetles are IRS but with wide 5

>gas mileage is shit for as weak as the engine is
expect 17 mpg

it's not uncommon at all to get 20-25 with a 34pict/3

Bullshit

>72mph top speed

Depends. Are you DDing it ironically or unironically?

vw-resource.com/economy.html

Power/weight ratio mate.

I daily a 74 brazillian 1500cc Beetle.
Power is not an issue, as I can do 60-70mph with ease, and I did most repairs it needed to have done myself, except for the alternator, I replaced it instead of fixing it.
The only issue I'd say I have is the lack of defrost, but then again, it's a 40 year old economy car for fucks sake.
Have already driven a 120hp Beetle, it weighted around 700 kgs, with no backseats, shit felt like it was going to fly.
Also, even tho it has drum brakes all around (wanna upgrade to discs soon), it brakes just fine, as long as you know how to brake a car with no power brakes and no ABS.

It's kind of hard merging on to the freeway with a 20 second 0-60

>missing a whole system that is a pain to work on because you spill gallons of fluid every time you want to work on it, fucks your engine fast if it leaks internally, or slow if it leaks externally, and corrodes your engine from the inside out if you don't take very good care of it

I don't get it.

If you want to struggle to 60mph and have a bitch of a time maintaining it, why don't you get a Suzuki Samurai? At least you'll have 4WD

Samurai is a cheap knockoff of a wrangler. Bug's arent hard to maintain at all.

Except that you'll spend more maintaining your "reliable" 50+ year old krautmobile, the aftermarket for the samurai is plentiful and it's easy to work on, plus pic related

Yeah that sure justifies a 300hp+ car.

It's a economy car, bout' 90 years old project, even though they still produce parts for them, you sure will have bits older than your dad.
That being said, this car makes you feel the road through your fingertips and feet, comfort is decent, and the car itself is literally bulletproof as long as the fan in the back is running.

>>missing a whole system that is a pain to work on because you spill gallons of fluid every time you want to work on it, fucks your engine fast if it leaks internally, or slow if it leaks externally, and corrodes your engine from the inside out if you don't take very good care of it
nice meme

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, MAKE IT A BAJA BUG AND GO OFFROADING IN IT

it's here, that's mu objective with the car now