GM bureaucracy.

Nothing
The first gen sc2 was amazing
Their other cars were pretty great in their class too

Government bailouts
Liquidation
Mediocre products

they had no haggle pricing in an age of haggling

they also were a wing of buick who were primarily an old person brand their cars just werent aimed at old people looking for uncompromising ride quality and confort

that coupled with what i have been told was an attrocious loan system really didnt help anything

Didn't make enough 3 door cars.

they were great cars for people who didnt really care about cars. but yeah, uncle sam was only willing to handout so much, so GM trimmed the fat.

pickups and muscle cars are where the money is at in murrica

America confirmed to have to smallest penises per capita in the world.

What happened was they screwed over a large number of their customers that had cars with faulty transmissions.

Even after recalling only *some* of the cars, there were still a large number that needed them replaced, but they found excuses to not replace them (too costly apparently).

So what was an otherwise reliable car, the Saturn ion, turned to shit after 2004 due to them using a shit transmission then not wanting to replace them all.

Hence the broken trust.

Hell, the only halfway decent car they had after that was the Aura, which was bought by Buick and became the new Regal.

>they also were a wing of buick
where the fuck did you hear this?
Saturn was completely on their own. They even filed taxes as a separate company. They had their own headquarter, and factory and everything was done in-house.

Only 2003-2004 model Ions, and 2002-2004 model Vue's equipped with the CVT transmission had those issues. They stopped making them and switched to a conventional automatic in 2005.

Only until 2002.

GM didn't give them the cash and permission to keep developing their own cars.

cars got old. then they became rebadges. the opels were good but too late and too bland.

2004. was the last year they were on their own. That was the year Saturn's UAW contract went up for renewal. GM snuck into the paperwork that Saturn had to merge with GM into the renewal contract.

I think he's mistaking Saturn being part of Buick because after Saturn was shut down GM sold one or two models to Buick.

But they are both part of GM

Yeah, and they only issued a recall for the Redline Ion, not the Sedan Ion even though they had the same transmission.

Not sure about the Vue, I only had an Ion. Even tried to sue them for repairs (unsuccessfully).

The last Saturn made in Springhill, Tennessee, rolled off the assembly line line in 2002. All later cars were just rebadges.

The Redline didn't get the CVT. It was 5 speed manual only. Sedans didn't get the CVT wither. Their automatic was a conventional 5 speed Aisin automatic sourced from Toyota.
The 2003-2004 Ion coupes are not redlines. Redlines are a different animal (though used the same body as the Ion coupe) and used different engine/transmission/suspension than all other Ions.

Stolen Recaros here. I HAVE a 2004 Ion with the 5 speed manual. It is not a redline. and I had no issues with it. My stepmom had one with the CVT (same color and everything as mine. Only difference was the transmission) and that thing always blew the tranny. coupes got the CVT. Sedans didn't.

The last car Saturn built in Spring Hill under their badged was the 2007 Ion you fucking retard. The Ion was no a rebadge of anything else. Look it up. And even after that, the plant made Chevrolet Traverse's and Ecotec engines.

The Ion shared the GM Delta platform with the Cobalt, moron.

but it wasn't a rebadge. The Ion has unique bodywork, and heavily reworked the chassis. The trunk floorpan and front strut towers are completely different and non-interchangeable.

Not all the transmissions were faulty dumbass. Only certain serial numbers due to a specific fault in the manufacturing run, many of which were used on both the sedan and coupe model Ions.

Yuropoor mad cuzz a small car with a truck engine can beat their precious ferrari. Which ferrari can the corvette beat. Pick one out of the dozens in productio.

Funny, my '04 Ion 3 has a CVT in it. Bought it brand new from the dealer in 2004 in Memphis, TN.

The only recalled cars had CVT transmissions, so only Ion coupes and Vue 2.2L. Sedans didn't use that transmission. The only bad transmissions were the CVT's. not ones used by both the coupe and sedan. The sedans were fine. "Manufacturing defect". It's a CVT. Honda, Nissan, and Toyota all use them now and they STILL have massive problems with them. Don't talk about something you don't know.

If you have the sedan, it's not a fucking CVT. It's a 5 speed automatic. Don't ask me why the coupes had CVTs and sedans had conventional automatics. I have no idea why either.

>they were great cars for people who didnt really care about cars
Or people who don't have the money to buy cars they care about.

One reason why Saturn cars were great is because they are easy to work on and parts are fairly common since it's gm parts.

These are correct. Bob lutz's book talks about it at length.

Arguing about a shitty Saturn Ion.... all y'all are fucking retards.

>retards arguing over which piece of fucking shit existed first

average GM buyers here

They tried to revolutionize the car industry... by building sedans. Then GM strangled them right out of the gate when nobody was impressed.

>y'all
>calling others retarded