2017 Subaru Forester

Opinions of the Forester? I want to get a new vehicle, preferably something with some ground clearance. Which this thing has. I like the features of it. Just seeing what you all think

Speaking as someone who just bought a 2017 Outback (literally 5 days ago), The forester really wasn't as comfy for the driver.

What about it felt different to you?

.....The seats in particular. Might be the particular trim i was in, but i really didn't like them, especially in comparison to the outback. Though i can't give you a detailed and full description of the Forester because i only sat in it for a few mins.

Tell us about your outback. For some reason they appeal to me even though they are against all of my Veeky Forums beliefs

>buying a crossover
Woman detected.

I would fuck the wrinkles off the 45 year old woman who buys that car. So in that respect, its a boxers-dropper.

Um...

What kind of man willingly buys a crossover? None. Only men cucked by their wife buy one.

dunno, for me it got too far from rugged simple turbo wagon with clearance. Just test drive the thing.
Also, if you arent in america, check the vitara turbo.

>Same engine as WRX
>Cheaper insurance than WRX
>Can haul more shit and look like a dad in the process instead of a vaping faggot

>what is the 2010-12 legacy gt
Wrx engine, manual trans, comfy sedan.

Son of a bitch I forgot those existed. Disregard everything I just said then

Forester is a SUV, not a crossover

Problem is they're hard to find with a manual and decent mileage. They were bought by enthusiasts that drove a lot.

That and I was always told to avoid any used subaru

Suvs are body on frame. The forester is unibody and loosely based on a car. (the Impreza)

Then what does that make the CrossTrek?

It doesn't even deserve the crossover category. It's literally an Impreza with a suspension lift

Ok.. What does that make the outback?

A lifted and stretched legacy wagon.

Its true in that it's still a legacy wagon that's just been lifted. The Legacy outback trim last gen or so was exactly that. It still is.

>no ecoboost

I have a 2015 forester with the CVT, 35k miles. It's pretty comfy and I don't have any complaints. I ran over a deer carcass doing 70 mph and only had minor damage to the plastic shield under the oil pan.

Also meant to add, the CVT drives great, and acceleration is nearly perfect. But the sound it makes is incredibly annoying.

good cars, but its kinda obvious subaru is being cucked by old people because it feels like it was designed for old people

Any reason to get a Forrester over superior looking crosstrek? It comes with manual too

>Implying all crossovers are girlwagons

the FX35/QX70 is an admirable exception

Bought one of those the other day, feelsgoodman

>superior looking crosstrek

thr crosstrek looks like a hipstermobile

Is manual an option with Forrester?

Not that I know of, but at least it's not a "for hipster" vehicle

It is, as per Subaru's website.

the 2.5i or the XT?

From what I understand, the CVT in the crosstek is not as good as the Forester. Forester's unit is basically from the WRX (with the ability to go into "sport" and "sport#" mode to simulate an 8 speed transmission. Crosstek only comes with an NA 2.0 I believe.

Yes

The cvt is shit on both models.

I need to hear things like this for this car because otherwise I think it can look really good and I'd actually buy one

I ended up getting a 2016 WRX, but I test drove and liked the Forester XT. It certainly is less comfy than the Outback, but it felt a ton lighter and more nimble than the Outback, so I guess it's a matter of preference. I didn't cross-shop the Crosstrek, but I've heard it's pretty sluggish. The Forester XT's drivetrain is pretty damned good. It's too bad Subaru don't have a turboed flat six trim in the Outback.

When have they ever had a turbo H6?

>tfw no fucking new legacy gt turbo with manual

fuck you subaru

I'm and my previous outback was literally a 2001 H6 Outback. It wasn't turbo'd however... i don't think Subaru has every produced a turbo H6.

Veeky Forums may crucify me but Gramps was still the finest subaru flat 6 turbi build I've ever seen

What about the 5 door Impreza? Not really the same realm of vehicle, but while we're on Subarus.. Not sure about the CVT

The lifted impreza hatch was a different model name. Cvt actually works decently, mimics a regular auto

Crosstrek you're thinking of?

I like mine. It's no speed demon but otherwise a great choice as an AWD DD. Mine's a 5-speed though, not the CVT

>Cvt actually works decently
That's good to know.

I'm just looking for a modest hatch really, deciding mostly between the impreza sport hatch and mazda3 touring hatch. AWD is nice because I like to do lots of hiking/mountain biking and wildlife photography, but it's not essential.
if i wasn't so indecisive i'd just buy one but i can't choose

The Crosstrek is literally just a lifted Impreza. Most of the car is exactly the same. I'm not sure what the Impreza sport has over the base Impreza.

I have the 2.5i base model.

Also, don't believe all the CVT haters on Veeky Forums because most have probably never driven one, or drove one when the tech was new. Subaru has been continually improving the CVT for at least 5 years now and it works very well, with a few drawbacks. It makes an annoying noise and low speeds tend to feel jerky. That's all I have to complain about after driving the 2015 forester for 2 years. And the benefits greatly outweigh the negative aspects in my opinion. When I drive at 60 mph or below I get about 30 mpg which is ridiculous for a SUV. But normally I drive closer to 80 and get about 23 mpg.

Ground clearance is for fags, get something fun.

OP here

I'm not all into that "super sporty cool guy" thing. I just want a solid vehicle, that is going to be reliable and last a long time, has a comfy interior, and gets decent Miledge. Ground clearance is a plus.

Get the sti you madman
Ive got a 2005 XT and love the fuck out of the goofy thing

Cvts are shit no matter what. If CVTs were superior then why do manufacturers keep putting the fake shift points in them? It's lipstick on a pig all for one extra city mpg.

Subaru CVT doesn't have fake shifts, it's smooth continuous acceleration up to speed. I don't know about the CVTs that other manufacturers make, I wouldn't be surprised if they're shit. But as I already said, most CVT haters on Veeky Forums probably have never driven one, or drove one when the tech was completely new and shitty. IIRC the CVT in my '15 forester is the 4th generation so most of the issues were fixed by that point.

But just drive a manual if you don't ever want a CVT. I'm actually selling my forester soon and getting an old manual shitbox. Manual because it's fun, and a shitbox because I hate getting jewed on loan payments every month.