Gods were just fumbling attempts to explain natural phenomena made by superstitious goatherders heh

>gods were just fumbling attempts to explain natural phenomena made by superstitious goatherders heh

There are people on Veeky Forums right now who are autistic enough to believe this

More realistic than a 40 year old illiterate merchant, upset that his wife was the bread-winner, claimed to have met an angel in a cave

I suppose it is possible that a magic carpenter flew up into the sky to get to Heaven.

Are there no janitors on this board?

The most autistic idea are the ancient aliens and the belief that ayy lmaos visited us 7000 years ago and we worshipped them as gods. I want to strangle Danniken and that Greek memer from History Channel.

Wow... epic O_O

Thank you.

>Hey so I know Jerusalem's sacred to Jews and Christians both; Jews because it was their ancient capital, and Christians because it's where Jesus Resurrected. But Mohammed had a dream about visiting the city, so our claim supersedes both of yours. Jerusalem kinda belongs to us now.

Lel

It's what God wanted.

Do you have a better explanation?

They were personifications of violent, awesome forces, not half-added scientific models, come on.

TAKBIR

>They were personifications of violent, awesome forces,

So fumbling attempts to explain natural phenomena then.

>not half-added scientific models

I don't think anyone has ever claimed there was anything remotely scientific about them.

Ancient religions were to a large degree just superstitions. You know how when some people wear their lucky shirt so their football team wins or some stupid shit like that, except codified.

A symbol of a natural phenomenon is not an attempted explanation you mong

Sure it is. If you're claiming storms are caused by Poseidon or lightning is caused by Thor then it's an obvious attempt at an explanation.

I'm not suggesting it is remotely a good explanation by modern standards.

Thor IS lightning, Poseidon IS the ocean, they're personifications of what is beyond the human, not an attempted model, but a symbolism, a way in which these phenomena were made scrutable to the human consciousness, are you dense?

Not one except you is suggesting they are "models". It's ridiculous to just project those sort of modern concepts onto the ancients.

You just seem very confused about something you have read to be honest.

What? I'm saying they're not an attempted explanation of phenomena in a scientific context. Which they aren't.

My god you fuckers are dense. Look, this guy is saying that you, OP, are the only one describing them as "scientific models:" in a literal strawman in order to argue against that perception, when nobody in this thread has expressed that they believe that perception to be true. Just think for a fucking second before you post ok?

>I'm saying they're not an attempted explanation of phenomena in a scientific context.

And no one has ever made that claim, which is why I am saying you are very confused.

When people say ancient Gods were an attempt at explaining natural phenomena no one is saying that ancient people were trying to use some sort of proto-scientific method. They were just making shit up to be honest.

Sorry mate but you're arguing against a claim no one has ever made because you have misunderstood what they are saying.

Yeah, it's pretty autistic. Besides, a small percentage of myths are about explaining that crap. Sure, you get your world creation thing, and how we got the seasons/rainbows/animals got or lost X feature, but the gyst of the stories are the gods interacting with mankind/other gods/monsters.

It's exactly this attitude of "le dumb ancient people making shit up XDD", and yeah nigga when you denigrate an entire culture's beliefs for being "made up shit" you're implicitly dismissing them for not coming to a mechanical and empirical understanding of phenomena like us epin scientists.

There are other ways to understand phenomena than qualitative analysis is what I'm saying, because the only understanding isn't just mechanical. You're autistic, both of you

quantitative* analysis

>illiterate
>merchant
Pick one

You seem very upset for no reason and I stand by my claim that Odin etc are made up shit.

I'm and am not making whatever autistic argument you're trying to project onto me, I'm just saying it's pretty clear you're arguing against a position that you yourself made up

I can't, because Mohammed was actually both