>looked like Big Jim and the twins from the side

Ford Horseshit
>302 CID/4.9L (not even 5) V8
>140 HP

Just fucking no.

Pontiac fireturd
>305CID V8
>155 HP

Mildly better than the Horseshit. No amount of artwork could have made it faster.
Chevrolet Camaro
>2.5L Iron Poop
>90 HP
>NINETY
>HORSEPOWER

It's sad that you can buy a '90s Mustang/Fireturd and get more out of it performance wise than you ever could with an old turd.

If you are rendered butthurt by reading this, prepare an argument that DOES NOT MENTION SAFETY STANDARDS AND/OR FUEL ECONOMY, then feel free to post.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0
thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/ten-hours-800-rpm-full-throttle-how-chrysler-used-to-test-engines/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

not to mention they produced the ugliest goddamn cars during that period

>Implying other nations made anything better.

But the amc gremlin is amazing

Why are you so upset I don't understand
Is it somehow surprising that newer cars are better than old ones?

Yes the engines of that time sucked but you could slap some heads and a can and remove the emissions garbage and have a fast, fun car for cheap. There were many RWD cars then

>only looking at HP numbers of cars that aren't allowed to drive quick anyway

also

>what is torque

Firebird Formula/Trans Am SD 455
>7.4l
>290hp 395tq

nothing was faster in the 70's

this guy is right, all cars in the mid seventies to early 80's were pretty bad.

>implying Detroit didn't produce high output engines back then

380+ HP cars were widely available in the 60s. The fuel crises of the 70s and growing environmental concern spurred the creation of those low power shitboxes.

Germany and Japan were easily blowing anything American out of the water

>380+ HP cars were widely available in the 60s

lol fucking no they werent
hardly any car had that much power

>1974 Firebird Formula/Trans Am

Those cars looked pretty damn good in my opinion.

that's because both nations are known for their autistically exact engineering skills while burgers had other priorities.

sometimes germons even engineered complicated shit just for the shits and giggles.

looks like a red AMC gremlin

They were gross HP number but even so yes they were.
Not just muscle cars but large sedans too. For example the 375hp 440 was pretty common in full size Mopars. Cadillac's 472 was rated at 375hp. 455 Olds was rated up to 400hp,

...................Literally 450HP right off the dealership floor. A little bit of tuning got this car to 500+ HP.

Also
>What is the 1966 Ford Galaxie 500XL

My dad has one of the '74 formula 455s. Its an automatic tho

Sigh. Technically the 302 is a 4.9 It was called a 5.0 because it was catchy. It was a nice round number. Lets think about the bright spots instead of this thread being so dark. In the 80's alone you had the cheap and quick Shelby Omni/chargers. The rebirth of Ford performance with the Mustang GT 5.0. Pontiac supplying the flawed but great Fiero. The dark times were truly the late 70s early 80s but the big 3 had to start somewhere.

I dont care

gross hp is irrelevant

nope

that car didnt even make 350hp

And the chassis couldn't handle it. Windshields cracked like there was no tomorrow, transmissions blew constantly and the rear diff fuct itself monthly. Not to mention that half of the engines were grenades.

I6's have always been better than small block V8's tho.

BMW was making close to 200 with a M30 in the Early 80's

Not seeing it myself other than round headlights.

>Talking shit about the gremlin
Go fuck yourself, cunt.

Little hatchback with RWD and V8 is the best thing ever

>hardly any car had that much power
>hardly
You seem to be under the impression that car engineering was an extremely primitive craft back in trhe 60s when even as far back as 1931, Audi Engineers were making machines that were pulling Mclaren 12C numbers

>widely available
>posts race cars

retard level 10

Apologize.

the 1970 eldorado had 400hp and 550lb tq in a fwd luxury coupe.
japan only had anemic straight 6 and the highest performing car of the era was the turbo fairlady with 145hp.

germany had the 450 sel 6.9 at 280 hp and 420 tq but cost as much as 3 american cars and was a boat

bmw only had the 3.0 cs and bavaria to contend with 197hp 200tq tops

>not posting a pic of the ultimate overpowered muscle car
Even GM admitted that it was unwise to produce a Camaro that was putting their flagship corvette to shame.

thanks for proving my point

it had maybe 300 hp and 400 lb ft in 1970 from a goddamn massive engine lol

>thinks power is all that matters

>snowflake special $5000 option
>widely available

musclefags a biggest retard

m8s, you all got baited. Anyone not mentally damaged doesn't need to be reminded of how dyno-happy America's big three were back in the 60s.

>implying the 12c is widely availible

i know that now. i'm not sure how i missed

>Germany and Japan were easily blowing anything American out of the water

[citation needed]
you can hardly hurt a Muncie M22
the 12 bolt was tough as shit truck axle, you might be able to grenade it on wrinklewalls but certainly not on any street tires of the day
the 454 is also a tank of an engine, but with no rev limiters and manual transmissions, they did get blown up.

if you get upset about this I really don't care the 2 biggest reasons for the styling difference early 70 vs late 70s was the federally mandated 5mph crash bumber in '73 and the rear in '74. Prime example is to look up what the Torino looked like from '70 to 74', font and rear. Gone were the good looking small bumpers and replaced with huge pieces of chrome. Europe fared no better with ridiculous rubber bumpers stapled onto the front of their imports. And yes Emissions had a part of it, the big three were trying to make air scrubbers out of big blocks and failed dramatically. They were for the most part carbonated or used crude forms of computer management. I guess you have never heard of the oil embargo of 1973. This made most folks look for fuel sippers, not for performance cars. So the big block cars sat on lots unsold. Ford and GM figured this out and concentrated on smaller less powerful cars. OK I'm done don't believe me fine wanna flame go ahead but when your done look it up and educate yourself.

>30s racing
Which reminds me, didn't Mercedes test a car that did Buggati Chiron numbers despite having only like 710HP or something?

I have a question.

Why do the Seventies, and to a lesser extent 80's, American cars bother Veeky Forums so much? Seriously. The Seventies were forty fucking years ago and completely irrelevant to current conditions in the automotive world. Excepting the vanishingly small amount of people that like cars from that time of course. Even twenty year old cars are largely irrelevant now, let alone forty, so what's the deal here?

Because they're autistic?

Veeky Forums tends to forget that clean burning powerful cars had to start somewhere. And most are autistic children that believe the sun rises and sets in Europe/Japan.

When you don't have build a car that has to abide by modern safety rules you can literally cut out half the weight of the vehicle.

>I like to think that we went from dangerous, gas-guzzlers to computerized, efficient cars over night.

>hardly any car had that much power

We should seriously have a no-millennials rule on Veeky Forums

The 70's was the beginning of the end for the golden age of human civilization

>Safety standards
>Emission standards
>Muh greenhouse effect!
>American cars were being built so horribly that customers seriously considered Japanesecars over them

The 70's was very relevant to today

>not wanting to be a mangled corpse in a 30 mph crash is somehow a bad thing

assburgers

Fuck off, grandpa.

we should have a no retard rule

gross hp doesnt mean shit lol

most v8s back then were horribly anemic

70s was good

American cars had always been shit but blind patriotism made people favor them

the 70s made the public realize how horrible they were

youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5PcWziXT0

>Safety standards
>Emission standards
>Japanese cars
>beginning of the end for the golden age of human civilization
Troll harder

This, desu
>alright everyone we now have the technology and the proof we can go to other planets, now what we need to do is focus on accepting 400 different genders, removing free speech and cutting education so much the sheep don't know any better

we cant even reach the moon

what are you talking about

>criticizes 1970s
>uses things that began less than 5 years ago

>Buy rusty car with X frame
>Remove engine
>See guys! It's unsafe!

still more power than yuro/nipshit of the same era
Plus these big engines were detuned for reliability and choked for emission purposes.

Bernie and friends had their beginnings in the 60's

No retard rule would effect you too. While sure there have been some shitty American made cars, to blanket say that American cars have always been shit is dumb retarded autistic children shit I come to expect from Veeky Forums. Good job you didn't disappoint

Have fun being decapitated by a pre-safety glass windshield, retard.

>"every time in history when we weren't lynching niggers and fags is degenerate"
kys

You realize they had safety glass as far back as the 30's right?

Nissan was making 130hp from a 2.0 inline 6 during the time

Porsche was making 300hp

America was shit

American cars have always been shit

youre just triggered because you like them

look at you spout insults like a child lol

Have fun being decapitated in your cuckmobile

The Hemi had 350hp net.

that was also late 60s/early 70s and not post emissions which is what the thread is about

shit also weighed like 900 lbs with a transmission

No I'm just reasonable enough to know that every automaker has made shit at on point or another. Even your oh so great European cars. Let me guess you from the small displacement does it turn Meme club huh?

yes

but American cars were notoriously bed for an entire decade

50s and 60s American cars were plagued with poor quality as well especially Chrysler

America hasnt made "good" cars since the days of Dusenburg and early Cadillac

Ok, if that is your opinion fine you can have it.

its not even an opinion

only recently have American cars become worth considering

and most of those were developed in Europe

Chrysler being bad is a meme that started when they made huge changes in 1957. Almost everything had to be changed for the new models and they paid a terrible price for it. Plymouth used to be the third best selling vehicle in the US. Chrysler fixed it but it was too late

>450HP SS Chevelle

wew la. I can't wait to at least drive one sometime in the future. Imagine how much power you can push out of it with some wild tuning.

prepare for disappointment

theyre 14 second cars that make nowhere near 450

>Nissan was making 130hp from a 2.0 inline 6 during the time
......................is this supposed to be impressive?

>3.8L
>145hp

>4.9L
>140hp

>5.0L
>155hp

>2.5L
>90hp

lol

keep in mind that 130 was in a family sedan too

most Japanese cars still only make that
pic unrelated
800hp in the 60's

Disregard this queer . In 1970 C&D tested them had them running 10.9 S quarter miles, though this was with a tuned exhaust that had the 454 producing 560 HP.

LOL

this guy is full fucking retard

they ran 12s when tuned and aftermarket parts on slicks

literally the same thing i asked myself after reading that. Are we supposed to be shocked that Japanese engineers finally worked out engine design and produced babby's first Z tune?

>10.9 S
That's actually decent. Again, why did we stop making such cars? It'd be great if Chevy released a sequel SS or a proper spiritual successor, even if for a short run.

>driving a steel and aluminum box with an engine that runs on a highly flammable liquid that literally explodes to move the car forward at high speeds on streets filled with other Human drivers with other steel explosion powered boxes

>safety

pick one. can't have your cake and eat it too. Some minimum of safety is nice, but what's even better is just being a better fucking driver instead of just relying on the car to save you when you fuck up

It was a family sedan engine you stupid cuck

stock 454 SS makes less than 300whp and weighs 3800 lbs

its slow as fuck for what it is

if you believe that youre legit retarded

they ran 14s from the factory

baby boomer nostalgia or the interest of moneyed youth may just push GM to do a similar thing. Also they have been drumming up noise about making an updated chevelle since 2006, however nothing has materialized but don't rule it out just yet. A proper successor built with the same perfomance-oriented extremism of the original SS would be a monster.

>Shelby turbo shenanigans
This alone was why the 80s were great

Yes. Everyone bow before the great 130HP beast from the east and act as if such a thing was unprecedented.
>dat aesthetic
800 hp? Was this in race tune or was that a trim available to the public?

thats terrible

Shelby should be ashamed

Mercedes was making 725hp in the 30s

>babby's first Z tune?

kek'd a little too hard at that

>mercedes made less powerful cars years earlier

impressive

Mercedes made a 3000hp car in 1939

the 725hp set a rekord thats never been beaten

sad that even after 80 years USA cant beat it

why is it that musclefags are always ignorant and tryhard?

its like its inherent

almost like you have to of a lesser intelligence to even enjoy muscleshit in the 1st place

you sure showed me

Was the charger the most aggressive looking muscle car of them all?
see . Don't take him seriously as he's either a desperate novice troll or a failed shitposter.

Now come on. It's a land speed record on a public road. 725 horse in the 30s is spectacular, especially when production cars maybe had 50 horse. That record stands because no one wants to risk doing 270 MPH on public roads.

not a car

who cares :^)

you guys are pathetic

denial isnt healthy

you guys havent proved America hasnt made anything but shit since the 50s

sounds like an excuse to me

America cant even top an 80 year old car

"The Judge" looked even meaner.

Maybe so, but...
thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/01/ten-hours-800-rpm-full-throttle-how-chrysler-used-to-test-engines/

> they were running wide open throttle lab endurance (their schedule was probably different from ours, but ours consisted of 10 hours each, and I may forget one, but the first 10 hours were 800 wide open – can you believe that? – then 1600 wide open, then 2400, 3200, the fifth 10 hour cycle was 3600, and the last was 9 hours at 4000 and the last hour at 4400, all wide open throttle.

Gotta disagree on the Judge, it doesn't beat the black void that is the front end of the Charger. I've seen them up close in person, they don't scream anything, but there's a serious quiet intensity to them that you can't top.

This. There is something menacing about the Charger's "blind" look. It sends a chill down your spine

looks like a overweight boat thatd run out of steam a few seconds into anything and wallow around in an embarrasing manner

He wasn't trolling at that point, he was legit upset I out shitposted him.
learn the difference ;)

only difference is Im not shitposting

Im dropping facts you fuckers cant refute

bait thread from a autistic faggot who cant afford a v8.
try again

yeah i can sense that. He does seem to be getting frustrated right now.

so there is no valid defense for American shit from the era?

guess I win

lol I would say gg but this was one sided since all you guys did was throw around bullshit and shitpost

there isn't a defense, we all know it was shit

they were forced to make drastic changes with no time for engineering, and it turned out pretty poorly