Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums,

I'm gonna start off by saying that I know jack shit about cars, and that's why I'm here.

I just got into a huge fight with my mum who says that a mechanic told her my (I believe 1996) Honda civic needs a 2500$ repair on the right front wheel (she was getting it rust proofed)

I said that these discount mechanics will try to sell anyone anything, and she got mad because she thinks I don't trust her.

The car drives fine, it's not making any weird noises, and I just don't think this very expensive repair is necessary.

Can Veeky Forums shed any light on this? Should I get a second opinion? Is the car unsafe to drive? I know a trusted mechanic who will check it out for me, but I don't think I should even bother because there's nothing wrong with the car as far as I can tell.

Thanks in advance, Veeky Forums

I forgot to mention, pic related is NOT my car, but it looks exactly like it.

Even the most expensive wheel repair could never run up so high for a single wheel.

Ask her if you can take it to your friend for a second opinion

You fucking moron, if you know "jack shit" about cars, then why the hell do you think you can make your own assumptions about how safe your car is? I hope you crash and kill yourself, you arrogant prick. Get it looked at by someone who knows what they're doing instead of assuming it's fine. You fucking moron. Holy shit.

OP here, don't cars usually make noises when they need repairs? Car steers fine, no noises, nothing. Same old ride.

and yes I know it sounds retarded to assume it's fine, but that's why I came to the experts at Veeky Forums

If the car is rusted to shit, that is an issue.

You could get another '96 Civic with four working wheels for under $2500

It's not rusted to shit, we always had it rust proofed, it was just another treatment, or whatever

fuck

wow, bad day?

That car isn't even worth 2500. Regardless of that, the mechanic is ripping you off bigtime.

Get an itemized list for the repair and post that shit.

What Repair does it need?

You haven't even told us.

Rust proofing is not a "repair"

t. thieving grease monkey

$2,000 is about the total price of a good-condition '96 Civic. Unless it got into an accident you don't know about that bent some important stuff, there's nothing that could cost that amount of money. Get a second opinion from your mechanic.

What repair did the guy say it needed?

ur a fag, kid

/thread
why would you pay more than the car is worth to fix it.
it is a piece of shit. sell it for $2000 and don't tell the buyer about the wheel and spend the $4500 on something less shit

op's mom

my girlfriends dad has put $8,000+ into his daughters 2001 neon with alternators, tranny work, a check engine light that just wouldn't go off, etc.

He is finally selling it after 5 years, and is hoping to get $1,000 for it. lmao

Did she get a diagnostics sheet? What exactly did he say was wrong with it? to be honest $2500 seems like a steep figure for a dateline nbc worthy car garage scam. I would just sell the car.

Just try to be more specific because you're not saying much of anything right now, son.

go to a honda dealer and get it evaluated.
Then leave and tell your mom what the Honda dealers says.

t. Kike mechanic

Just get a different car with the 2.5k
Seriously. Just sell that Honda, get 1-1.5k (depending on how well maintained the car is) and use the lump sum to get a nice car.
Hell, you can get a really good car with a down payment of 2k and use the remainder for the first months insurance, car payment, and whatever else you need.

There is absolutely no way something on one wheel would cost that much to fix. Now I'm curious as to what bullshit that mechanic can come up with to justify that bill.

Maintenance is easy wrench yourself before mechanic kills your car.

>2500$ repair on the right front wheel

that mechanic is totally ripping you guys off. and you mom being a woman she is a easy target for mechanic scams. 2,500 is worth more then the car.

I bet you could replace every piece of steering and suspension equipment on the entire vehicle for $2500. I'm talking 4 new wheels, tires, steering rack, etc. There's not one single thing on a Japanese car that old that would cost that much.

Please find new mechanic.

This thread is shit.

But there's two extremes here, op's mom "the guy said it needs to be fixed so that's final". And op "I know nothing and don't notice anything so nothing must be wrong". Holy crap meet in the middle and get a second opinion