Anyone have a XJ Cherokee?

Anyone have a XJ Cherokee?

Any tips? I'm gonna go look at it soon, it's got the 4.0L and looks clean as all get out. What should I keep an eye for?

He wants 5k for it.

Other urls found in this thread:

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607115739289
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Enjoy death after wasting all your money on trash

>Anyone have a XJ Cherokee?
>Any tips? I'm gonna go look at it soon, it's got the 4.0L and looks clean as all get out. What should I keep an eye for?
Rust, check the suspension
Sometimes they over heat due to the t-stat housing gasket going bad
Sometimes electrics can go screwy
>He wants 5k for it.
What mileage? What year?

Literally the god machine, the 4.0L will run past the heat death of the universe

98, 173k
He's looking 5k obo, though, so I may try to throw 4k and see if he bites.

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607115739289

Talk me out of it

>Looks clean as fuck
>5 speed manual attached to the VM diesel
>Literally 10 miles from me
>Steering wheel on the correct side
>£500, it's burning oil

What's it likely to be? Head gasket?

I don't know much about a 2.5 diesel but burning oil could be anything from bad rings to leaky valves. Just depends how much it leaks. Sounds like a money pit to me if you don't wrench yourself.

good post

I do wrench, but I'm not all that good

Thank you.

Any input then or nah?

I emailed asking how much it burns. If it's less than a pint/1000 miles I'll walk away

>Any tips?
Don't buy one.

Yeah man, I love it, just be prepared and have some money for repairs/upgrades

This.
They are absolute floppy trash

He wants wayyy too much for it. I paid $4800 for mine a couple years ago with 90k on it

How bout you cucks help this guy, if you don't like the Cherokee fine give a reason other than "KEK ITS TRASH." How about a real reason, maybe personal experience?

Nah. Let him learn on his own.
Itll be an expensive mistake

I'm probably going to offer 3.5 (maybe 3 starting, but won't go any higher than 4 for it)

I'm not sure what the market looks like where you are, 4 would probably be alright but 3500 would be ideal with that mileage. Auto or manual? Any service records?

Well I live in San Diego, so take that as you will. Nothing bad on the history report but he says he's mostly done his own maintenance since he bought it, and auto.

The AW4 auto is solid, 98 is one of the better years to pick from. 00-01 had head cracking issues due to a bad run of heads. Earlier ones with Renix can be finicky but I haven't researched them too much so I can't talk to specifics. Mine has been mostly flawless for the ~40k I've owned it.

XJ's are god tier, have had 3 myself but prices have gotten ridiculous lately.

Weak frame
Weak axles
Tin can build quality
Chrysler

I agree. I wish I could suggest another vehicle but most of the alternative's prices are going up too.

Different car, but the front axle ring gear bolts all fell out or sheared on my zj. Interior sucked for a 'luxury' vehicle.

Those leather seats in the ZJ are comfy as fuck though.

>Different car
Not that different. Mechanically mostly identical and the platform is the same.

Mines been great but I think 5k is a little high. 4x4?

The bench in my dakota was more comfortable than those

White rim trail?

I wonder if there are different seats depending on trim.

Yup, I did 10k miles on it a few months ago and did a month and half long roadtrip out west.

The lower trims with the unpainted plastic got vinyl. Mine was a limited which had the 'better' seats. Ive seen different seats on prefacelift zj's though

Nice man, me and another guy from /dbt/ just went out and rode Moab on our dual sports. It was great and I want to go back.

Intredasting. Yeah the regular XJ vinyls seats are pretty meh comfort wise but they are easy as fuck to clean anyway kek

Well I may pick this thing up. Pretty clean and well kept, and guy is nice. They've babied it (was mostly his wife's).

Looks clean inside too.

dont they are the biggest turd and parts are very hard to find even for the newer ones

i have a 96 and its off the road and will be for some time

best thing about it is the engine, gearbox is great but the driveline is made of cheese, the rear diff and front diff are ok but the fucking transfer cases are hilariously shit

>parts are very hard to find
>XJ parts
>hard to find
Literally the only thing I've ever had trouble sourcing is door parts because I have the 2 door not the 4 door. Pretty much everything else is readily available either at a junk yard or from Crown Auto.

just get a 3rd gen 4runner

Get it
Then swap a 2JZ in it
It has been done before due to the AW4 automatic sharing alot of design with the A340E automatic found in the JDM Toyota Aristo

Nice man post up when you get it we'll have a good ol' Jeep thread

>XJ
>biggest turd
>parts very hard to find
>transfer case died because i left it in part time and tried to do autocross

XJs are the biggest turd, though.

>I've never ridden in, nor driven, nor owned an XJ in my life

I don't need to when I can watch other people own that trash.

I usually just lurk but OP you really, REALLY need to think long and hard about this.

I had a jeep almost just like that for 10 years. You know that old saying "GM cars run poorly longer than most other cars run at all"?

90's Cherokees are like that. My 95 ran, but that's about it. Loud, rough idle, electronics go out, play-skool quality plastic interior that rattles like crazy, abysmal gas milage, leaks fluid, starts when it feels like it, tiny rear doors, ect.

Great in the snow though I'll give it that.

The XJ is WAAAAAY overrated. I drove a few and worked on them, they all suffer common issues like rust, blown transfer cases,cooling problems and just deterioration. They're 90's Chrysler products, which suck. No matter what you get from that era, it'll need work. Also $5k is too much. I wouldn't pay over $3k.

Also proof I know what I'm talking about, picked these 2 Dakota's for cheap, they need lots of work, may just throw out the 318 for an LS. Doing a body swap to the 4x4 frame.

I got a 98 Limited XJ with 135k, minimal rust for 2k

comfy car but don't get ripped off user

this, 5k is pretty steep senpai

This.

currently have stock YJ rims on my XJ, want 8 hole hims, what are good brands/rims that I should look into?