Tfw you can't legally own this in the US without making extensive modifications to it

>tfw you can't legally own this in the US without making extensive modifications to it
>tfw Nissan won't go back to being their 90s selves and make spirited sports sedans and fun coupes
>tfw the Skyline spirit basically died with the R34 (i triple fucking dare you to say something about Infiniti)

Will Japan ever resume making hoon-oriented sedans?

Other urls found in this thread:

mount-panorama.com.au/history/records/26-legends-of-bathurst.html
youtube.com/watch?v=1mm2_hG2zSc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathurst_1000#Famous_winners
youtube.com/watch?v=dyEYaN6Y_FM
youtu.be/45ZODU3XWlg
youtu.be/vwfZrxXGTlg
youtu.be/xwdeEG7hO-8
sau.com.au/forums/topic/413686-ceramic-turbos/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>posts a coupe

Who cares. Nissan makes junk anyway

>live in Canada where I should legally be able to own this
>but car insurance in Ontario makes it pretty much impossible to own one with a reasonable premium anyway

>Nissan won't go back to being their 90s selves and make spirited sports sedans and fun coupes
You mean the 90's Nissan that was doing so well in the market that they managed to get themselves bought by Renault of all companies? That Nissan?

we were definitely cheated out of a great car by the NHTSA.

>cant own this without extensive modifications
what? but we can without modification

>>tfw you can't legally own this in the US without making extensive modifications to it
That's the R33 built between 1/96 to 6/98, not any R34

Though to be fair, which Japanese automaker not named Toyota wasn't having sales problems in the late 90s?

Only limited run cars that qualify for the Show & Display Exemption

State Legal =/= Federally Legal

Only after 25 years (so between 2023 and 2027)

Honda and Mitsubishi. The latter not in the US market though

wow who cares

Is there any other car as legendary and as revered as the GTR34?

This is why I'll never buy or recommend a Mercedes-Benz and will go out of my way to tell people to buy a competitor's car

Fuck the kikes at MB USA

Rx7.
Gtr a shit

Yeah the R32 GT-R

.........Wait, but i thought that Mercedes fucked over BMWs US business in this way. I didn't know that their shenanigans also affected Nissan

Mercedes lobbied for the import laws to kill the grey market.

Mercedes North America wanted Mercedes Europe to stop taking their business

As dumb as that sounds it's true

not really. There is a particular street-racer glamour to the Skyline model that the RX-7 hasn't quite attained, despite being another fondly remembered 90s Jap sports coupe.

wow

Ford Mustang

BMW M3

Lancer Evolution/WRX STI

Porsche 9/11, Honda NSeX, Doge Snek, too many others to bother listing...

the original 32 GTR has fucking racing pedigree comparable to the porsche 911.

back to back wins, literally undefeatable, crushed v8 supercars in australia and raped their dead corpse.

to this day you give aussies flashbacks to bathurst if you mention godzilla.

it was the start of the legend, have a read.

mount-panorama.com.au/history/records/26-legends-of-bathurst.html

It's not the only amazing car mind you, but it's one of the greats for the complete domination it gave in it's time period + the fact a modded 32 can still walk a brand new gtr (also modded) like it's nothing cause it's so light.

youtube.com/watch?v=1mm2_hG2zSc

watch this, the 35 gets the launch on it and then the 32 just pulls away (both have equal hp)

the 32 is a living fucking legend and the 34 is great, but nowhere near as revered.

Not even close to comparable to the Nazi sled, but it's record is undeniably good.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathurst_1000#Famous_winners

>A fierce new opponent was waiting in the wings. Nissan and team manager Fred Gibson, had campaigned Skylines in Australian competition for a few years. For the 1990 race they debuted the R32 four-wheel drive, four wheel steer, twin turbo Nissan Skyline GT-R. It initially suffered from the related problems of complexity and reliability but the GT-R went on to dominate Group A racing worldwide. Gibson’s lead drivers, Richards and Skaife easily won the 1991 Bathurst 1000 and repeated the win in controversial circumstances in 1992. The car gained the nickname 'Godzilla'. With four-wheel drive, four-wheel steer, and a powerful turbo 2.6-litre six-cylinder engine producing almost 600 horsepower (450 kW), the RWD Sierras and Commodores simply could not equal or compensate for the Skyline's superior handling and power output. In an attempt to achieve parity between the makes weight penalties were applied to the Nissan.

I won't claim it's better than the 911 as they're both so amazing and both deserve mad respect.

I'm just saying that the 32 is the real godzilla, it's a nightmare machine that still to this day can rip apart the modern GTR.

It's one of the most feared machines on the street, up there with supras and 911's. If you ever encounter one at the lights, don't get cocky cause chances are very fucking high that it's off it's tits.

>both have equal hp

And yet are fundamentally different cars, when you start talking about how great a 1000hp skyline is, you're not talking about the car Nissan designed any more, you're talking about a slapped together mess of aftermarket parts from various aftermarket brands, which only proves the car was popular in tuner culture, not that it's good.

R35s are still very much in the vein of the r34 gtr, calculated computer aided machines driven by turbocharged 4wd technology. Neither are particularly "spirited", both are amazing.

Ignore literally every other reply you got as they seem to be little more than MUH FAVORITE CAR shitposting. These two are historically, the closest European peers of the Skyline's fame and greatness, replete with the racing heritage and the veneration.

I'm not sure about the Sierra RS Cosworth and the Audi Quattro S1, but they're not far from meeting the standard that the Skyline set.

I don't think the 35 or the 34 or even the 33 are bad, they're amazing but they're not on the same tier as the 32.

The 32 is much lighter and once you fix the oiling problems by putting in upgraded sump, pump and a n1 block they're monsters.

the 32 is where the name godzilla came from and will forever be etched into motorsport legend, is the point i'm making.

>r32 can rip apart the new skyline

Yeah, and with as much aftermarket support and money, the new skyline could rip apart the skyline they make 20 years down the track. Hell, with that much aftermarket support and money spent most cars could rip apart a r35

the 35 in that video had just as much aftermarket support, it lost because it's pigfat and failed to get traction.

that was a 1200hp 35 as well, it was not stock.

hell, parts are arguably more expensive for a 35 cause GTR tax than a built RB, which has cheaper parts cause years of development have already been done.

The r32 has history, but you're writing some fantastical crap about how much better a vehicle it is than the r35, and that's just not true, vehicles have come a very long way.

Also I'll be the first to say, if I was going to get a skyline it'd be an r33 for handling /mechanicals, though I do prefer the r32 look.

I never said it was better in every way, i said it was 400kg lighter.

It's just terrifying because it combines the insanity of the RB in a really, really light chassis.

The later ones are better because shit like hicas polls 1000x a second instead of 10x, but you can also swap around a lot of 34 parts into a 32 as well, if you want.

Anyway, the 32 is just flat out faster in a straight line than a 33 and 34 (and a 35 if they're equal power) simply due to the weight advantage.

You missed my point.

Aftermarket has been developing for so much longer for the 32, obviously at the same power levels the lighter car is going to win but at 1200hp there's sweet fa left in that engine with the new "Nissan" stamped into it. That's not an r32, it's a homologation of aftermarket parts suppliers. Go drive a stock r32 and a 1khp one, tell me if they're even slightly similar in terms of dynamics, I've been in a mates stock 32 plenty and was lucky enough to get a ride in an 850hp gtr at power cruise, I can tell you they where wholly different beasts

This and one more car that you CAN NOT leave out of any discussion of historic, revolutionary and exemplary cars.......The Porsche 911.

He's right though it is faster. It's not hard to win a race when you're so much lighter, it's not that the 35 is bad it's that the 32 with modern parts is just going to win.

There's no way around weight.

I own a built skyline GTR, i'm aware of the difference.

The other bloke doesn't seem to be claiming a stock 32 will win, he's just saying it's bathurst legend is amazing (which it is) and that given equal power a 32 will win (which it does, cause light).

Then the cappuccino is a better car right?

Yea mate, i was just saying it's "better" because of it's weight. Got no hate for any of the cars, i love them all but i'm referring to built cars on both sides, obviously the lighter 32 is going to beat the built 35.

Both of them would be an amalgamation of aftermarket parts, but the lighter one would win.

In a straight line, yes.

First is stability, then once that's worked out your power to weight ratio is everything.
It's why bikes are so nuts and can demolish supercars, they're just so light.

Pix?

I'm the 33 user, you might have seen a few of my previous posts

Yesss 33 glory.

Infiniti G37

How does any sep body know that they want one anyway? Playstation?

Supra.

You mean mercedes benz of america

Nissan didn't want to spend the money to make it USDM.

Mercedes didn't want people importing german cars for 2/3s of the dealership price (net cost) and the skyline was collateral damage

yeah, and you see so many on the road these days

Literally just because of 2 fast 2 furious.

Fucking yanks.

Bro I'm moving out of Cali to own a 32, please share your wisdom! I need to know everything about owning one of these, where would be the best place to buy one, mods to make it more reliable, anything you can share is appreciated

I don't know about america but i had to fly interstate to buy one here.

We also have a huge problem with them being stolen so i recommend an immobilizer ASAP.

I shit you not, i had a cunt on the freeway pull up behind me the night i bought it, in a tow truck, trying to tow me while i was taking a nap.

This was about an hr out of the city and he backed off quicksmart when he saw i was with mates, armed mates.

So yea, immobilizer is number one i would say.

After that, wheels, rubber and suspension are next. I have te37sl volks and p zeros, which are quite pricey but they were a great upgrade, changed the dynamics of the car a lot.

Once you've got the car nice and stable, run over it with a fine tooth comb. They're old cars and 100% shit will be broken, or near breaking. Replace it all with modern parts. And budget for it too, have double what you paid ready on hand.

After that, you'll want to invest in a dry sump or a 9 litre baffled oil sump and upgraded pumps to prevent the engine KILLING ITSELF during high revs + gforce cornering, it's a known issue.

Dry sump is best, but expensive, 9 litre does the job almost as good and is about 2 grand done by a quality shop.
By now you'll have spent double what you paid, but the car will be stable as fuck, reliable and sitting on around 350hp (they underreported the FUCK out of the numbers).

Then you can go for power.

>an R33 on Veeky Forums

I love you.

Thanks user, appreciated. Wow the niggery surrounding this car is astounding. I plan on financing and theres one importer in the states that specializes in GTRs so I wouldn't mind paying extra for upgraded oiling.

What kind of immobilizer would you recommend? Most my friends install kill switches on their shitboxes.

For power you have so many routes to take, so i'll just highlight a few things.

If you know a lot, you can do this work yourself, but if not, get a reputable shop to do the engine building for you. Yes it's expensive but when i bought this car i was pretty new and i've never built an engine before.

I've done some minor work myself like changing over the rear diff, but if it's stupid complex you really will want some quality help so you don't fuck shit up, if you don't 100% know what you're doing.

The other advantage of a reputable shop is they all own their own GTR's and have years of development working on them. So you get access to their own propriety technology, which can be pretty cool.

A good resource for checking out what's good is the youtube channel motive DVD, they have a few good videos on things such as turbos, ect

There's also SAU (the forum) which is full of nice people who also own GTR's and can give you advice. If you're in doubt, ask, it's worth getting it right the first time.

I actually got my electric mate to do my immobiliser, so not sure. He's done a full kill switch where it needs my keyfob in the car to turn on, it's some crazy system. After the highway incident i was really paranoid about it getting stolen.

It's a very expensive car, though it does not seem so on the surface. I've spent well over 100 grand so far, but i don't regret it for a second.

Just remember, a built GTR is a supercar, it comes with the maintenance and it's pretty complex on a few little things (eg: screwing the diff in is actually quite fucking tricky).

Make sure you're budgeting for shit going wrong, because the last owner 100% has thrashed it to hell, no matter what he tells you. That's ok though, cause you'll be replacing wear items.

Just make sure no rust, if it has rust avoid like the plague.

Oh and on the subject of power, e85.

It's an ethanol based fuel with high octane which naturally means it loves turbos. It's a massive power gain to switch over, but you'll need a flex fuel ecu to support it, like a haltech.

You're also going to want to upgrade your fuel system to be sure.

I got an extra 60kw switching from 98 to e85 though and my engine runs 20 degrees cooler, making it a hell of a lot safer.

The downside to it is it chews through fuel, but it's also cheaper. You'll spend perhaps 10-20% more on fuel, but need to fill up a lot more often (it burns 55% more roughly).

That's why flex fuel is good, because you can drive around chill on 98 and when you wanna race it, switch to e85. Your tuner will set up multiple maps for you on the ecu and it auto-adjusts to those depending on what's going in.

underrated post. these cars are unmistakeable by many many factors. the other one that I would add to that list would be the RX-7 because of its iconic (although has its downsides) rotary engine.
>inb4 im a mazda shill
I own a wrx. I respect a lot of old and new cars for their designs and how great of cars they are, which it seems that a lot of people cannot do. I love all cars really, but the ones you listed truly are the legends (including the R34)

Thank you for all the advice. See the basic power makers I believed was bigger intercooler, bigger turbo and larger injectors to match. If anything I heard that chips can help a lot when it comes to tuning.

Risvu is the importer I want to buy off of, they all own GTRs from what I see on their social media. They have 3 locations so I plan on flying to the nearest one and driving it home.

I want to learn on this car how to do everything but I know they'll be a learning curve, a difficult one.

As for a immobilizer will be the first order of business, and if some spook tries to shake me up thats why Ill have a CCW

This is my dream car, and they're affordable for what it is. I'm not giving up on owning one. I don't want a built monster but a powerful mountain goer.

Oh and forged internals. The RB n1 block and n1 crankshaft are tough as fuck and will hold to 1000hp.

The rods and pistons, about 500hp.

Best to prepare in advance if you're going to go crazy on power and build the engine properly. It NEEDS the oiling system though, no matter what power level, so that should be one of the first upgrades.

Other nice little upgrades include
>Nismo 320km/h gauges (rare)
>Upgraded intercooler
>New battery (really worth doing this before it becomes a problem)
>Replace the G sensor (critical to the AWD and most likely busted with age)

Also, once you get past about 600hp, the rear bias in the AWD becomes more pronounced, there's a thing to restore it to a more even split but i can't remember off the top of my head.

If you want it powerful for the mtns then ignore the engine stuff for now, just get everything else running fine. It comes with a stupid amount of power stock, they really under-reported to porsche levels.

There's something else important i feel like i'm forgetting so gimme a sec and i'll remember ;P

GT-R and RX-7s are, but Supras, NSXs, 3000GTs, and 300ZXs aren't?

I'll prefer RWD bias mainly because I do like kicking the tail out. But thats me, and I feel like I should not try that at all and keep the hooning to a minimum...

think bro, think....

I feel like theres something I should ask too but I can't remember either...

It's a combination of many factors here
>Historical significance & influence
>Official Racing credentials
>Pop culture popularity
>general desirability

which is what the R34, 911, WRX have over the ones you listed.

If i was you and wanted the least hassle and possible shit going wrong, do it in this order.

>Inspect car, make sure it's clean of rust and no major mechanical problems (have a third party reputable place do this)
>Replace battery on the day
>Drive home
>Immobilizer ASAP
>Suspension (hks hipermax 4 is good, but quite uncomfortable. really tuff doe)
>Forged rims (whatever you like, i stand by volk from rays being really strong, i've seen those wheels hit nasty potholes at 200km/h and come out with nothing but a bit of gutter rash)
>Quality tires (you don't have to go as extreme to get p zeros as me, but get something decent. Don't cheap out on tires, they're the most important).
>Go to a tuning shop and make friends with the owner
>Fix oil problems immediately, have them go over the engine with a fine tooth comb
>You can talk with them about the power level you want, they might take you for a ride in their own GTR's and you can see what you like
>They'll help you figure out what you need, depending on power level it might just be bigger injectors, fuel line and e85, there's so many different routes to take
>Double research everything

supra has those for sure though.

the supra was famous well before fast and furious too, they lifted that ferrari scene out of an incident with some jap tuners at a toll gate who had a few ferrari and lambo owners being cocky

Only the Supra and NSX of your list actually has it.

The 300ZXs and 3000GTs are kind of...irrelevant

>The 300ZXs and 3000GTs are kind of...irrelevant
300zx's had quite a lot of wins through the early-mid 90s in Jap GT races- even with the GTR competing and the 3000GT was setting records on Pikes Peak

If we're talking about pedigree, the RX-7 has it.

>Wankel engine is perhaps the only engine developed by and named after an openly antisemitic person
>Wankel was also a leader of the Hitler Youth
>Wankel eventually admitted to SS with ObersturmbannfĂĽhrer rank
>Mazda was the only Japanese constructor to win 24 hours of le mans and the only win by a non piston engine
>Mazda built the RX-7 to be the spiritual successor to the Mitsubishi Zero
>touge monster on best motoring, BTFOs GTRs on a regular basis
>hero car of Initial D

>>Replace the G sensor (critical to the AWD and most likely busted with age)
>there's a thing to restore it to a more even split but i can't remember off the top of my head.

He wants the Tarzan box from Do-Luck. SpeedHunters did an article on that thing and it's supposedly amazing.

the g sensor is a cheap and easy fix to do quickly, the non even split is just the diffs giving more power rear i believe, i know it has a mechanical solution.

either way, new g sensor asap cause they bust up after 20 years and most likely have not been replaced.

Im trying to have at least 400 or 380 whp but I want a reliable daily driver ya know? So I don't want to strain the engine too much with excessive power.

Tarzan box? Huh.. I'll check it out.

'32 ford 3-window coupe.

oh i remember what it is. shitty turbos.

so the 32 comes with trash ceramic turbos, you want to replace them ASAP for modern ones as they can shit themselves.

good news though, 400hp is so easy, literally injectors, a few more psi with a tune.

you'll be getting minimum 320 at the wheels stock, they really underreported figures.

get a better intercooler and radiator though, it's nice to have a cooler engine.

main bulk of your money will be spent fixing that oil problem before anything and if your tuner says you don't need it, walk the fuck out of there.

i don't know about american tuners but here in australia we have a bunch of great teams doing GTR development, it's a little pricey but you're paying for a quality service instead of going to some random fuck mechanic.

these are guys that own their own GTR's so they care about giving you a quality service and are also a great wealth of information.

my shop gives me free advice all the time on random little things i coulden't know on the internet from SAU, little tricks they've found themselves over the years.

Just research a good tuning shop, double and triple check and then walk in and make friends with them.

Mitsubishi was doing great in the 90s in the US.

N1 turbos or equivalent (Garrett 2860-5/-7, HKS 2530, etc.), metal head gasket, bigger injectors, uprated fuel pump, exhaust, and a tune will get you there no problem

Fuck yuropoor shitboxes

Holy fuck, I thought you were joking but it all checks out. Why don't all of the wehraboos drive RX-7s?

>but mommy i want the car from fast and fouruis!1111
lel

I've read about the turbos, I didn't realize they were that bad. Are the stock ones internally regulated or have a external pressure relief?
I just googled a dry sump oil, and it was 9k!

I'll have to find some decent shops, not many GTRs started floating around the states but I don't think theres many shops that are RB pros

youtube.com/watch?v=dyEYaN6Y_FM
youtu.be/45ZODU3XWlg
youtu.be/vwfZrxXGTlg
youtu.be/xwdeEG7hO-8

By the way, with the last video, also keep in mind that 35 GTR brakes fit, with minor modification. A lot of people buy them 2nd hand and fit them, as they're amazing.

The dry sump is expensive, but some shops can just give you an increased sump to 9 litres (about 2 grand).

The turbos have ceramic components which i read can snap after a period of time and fly into your engine and fuck shit up.

Best to just replace. Go watch the videos i linked above, especially the turbo one.

The entire Ferd brand was built by someone openly anti-semitic.

And they owned Mazda at one point, kek.

Internally gated. They're relatively okay up to a bar of boost.

>The turbos have ceramic components which i read can snap after a period of time and fly into your engine and fuck shit up.
That is literally impossible.

so the rx7 is the most fascist sportscar?

sau.com.au/forums/topic/413686-ceramic-turbos/

Yes, as opposed to the Nissan that released this faggotry, ran every single name they had into the ground, and makes exactly 2 (two) sports cars.

Yeah I understand that perfectly, but I'm just going to stop now because it'll just be arguing semantics.

>25 years to import a car

nice """""""""""""""""""freedom""""""""""""""""", americucks

Just saying, it's not a good idea to keep the ceramic turbos when they can shit themselves and modern ones provide far superior response.

It's really a good investment to replace them.

>Gas is currently at $2.25/gal for 93 AKI (Equivalent to 98 RON)
>$0.60 cents a liter

:)))))

fucking serious cunt?

god damn it's 1.30 a litre here regularly.

>the 3000GT was setting records on Pikes Peak
It wasn't, though. Rod Millen's Celica held the record for 20 years.

I don't disagree, but that wasn't what I was arguing.

>I can go to the doctor and university for free,
>$0 dollars a month

(((((((((:

Agree that the Supra qualifies.

Yeah but you earn half what we do

>implying the Skyline spirit died with the R34
How much of a 2F2F brainwashed underage do you have not to understand the Skyline as made by Infiniti is actually closer to the original Skyline spirit.

What died was the rice spirit

MKIV Supra RZ, various Evos and STis, FD RX-7s, E30 and E36 M3, NSX,

And that's mostly just the FnF stuff. There's the Shelby Mustang, Vipers, plenty of old Euro masterworks from Group B rallying like the Ford RS200 death machines and Audi Quattro S1.

>to this day you give aussies flashbacks to bathurst if you mention godzilla
To put things in perspectives we have weeaboos because the Group A R32 raped so hard it sprayed pure Nipnong essence everywhere and contaminated the air.

The BNR32 made its bones. The BNR34 lives off FnF hype. Noone cares about the BCNR33 because it didn't have the prestige of the R32 or show up in movies. I think there's some guy on /dat/ who has a built one. All three have absurd potential if you have deep enough pockets.

>R33 didn't show up in movies

>the Skyline as made by Infiniti is actually closer to the original Skyline spirit
It's a Z with back seats. Same platform, same VQ V6 engines.

I dont entirely agree with OP, but thats the one thing he got right. The Skyline stopped being about generously tuned baseline sedans after the R34.

Road's closed, pizza boy, find another way home.