Need new car

Hi Veeky Forums,

Don't normally come here as I know nothing about cars. That being said, I need some help choosing a new car. About 2 years ago, I bought a 2000 Honda Civic DX. While it served me well, it now needs 1500+ in repairs and I have already spent more than what it's worth repairing it. I have let the registration expire and am now in the market for a new car.

What I am wondering is what a good option for me would be as a commuter in dense Bay Area traffic. Hoping to spend less than 17k with a max of 20k (will pay in installments obv) or to lease a car. No idea what make or model.

Looking for a car that won't break down, is gas efficient, and will serve a ~50 mile daily commute well. Any advice for a make or model el and as to whether to lease or buy would be much appreciated.

E C O B O O S T

Dodge Magnum Hemi

Prius desu

I was seriously considering a Prius, but your desk makes it sound tongue in cheek. Am I the biggest idiot?

Buy a newer Civic in your price range

you can do a lot better in the hybrid market for the price level you're looking at honestly.

Pretty much every hybrid is better than a prius now, it's riding on it's reputation more than anything.

It's not bad, but for prius money you can get a civic hybrid with has more power and better em pee gees

I've heard repairs for newer hybrids can be costly, since not many mechanics know the engines well enough to fix them. No idea if it's true though or how often s hybrid might break down. Any info about the cost of maintenance?

Also, thank you for your thoughts in regards to the Prius and hybrids in general.

Mazda3 is the only good option for you if you're buying new
Used? Civic or Corolla, (a used mazda3 or Focus would be fine too but not quite as reliable as those)

They can be a pain, but if you're buying new (or nearly new as I just found out there's no Civic Hybrid anymore) it'll come with a warranty for at least 3 years

In a similar boat as you OP.

Just got a new job and have to relocate to a Georgia. Can't take my old '04 cavalier with 193K miles so I'm looking for an upgrade.

Was looking at a GTI, but I'm starting to realize I want to be closer to 20k maybe 23k, rather than 30k.

Was looking at the new Civics, as well as Subaru Imprezas with the hatchback, but I'm not sure about the CVT in the Subaru (even though it's supposed to get great gas mileage). Aslo looking at the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6, as well as an Accord.

My commute is 15-20 miles each way btw.

thank you for the advice. I think O will look at leasing or purchasing a used hybrid civic.

May stick around a bit to see if anyone else has suggestions

My sister's boyfriend has the Mazda 3 and I just rode one as a rental down to SB. They're pretty nice. I will ask my sister about this as well.

GTI is unreliable crap, just like everything VW
Want a hot hatch? Get a Fiesta ST
Want something a little bigger and not as hot? Mazda3

>just like everything VW
my dad mentioned a buddy from work seeming to always have a problem with them. I know my grandpa really liked Mazdas (he even got to drive on the Indy track with Paul Newman when he was in his local Miata club lel).
Mazda3 vs Subaru? The Mazda's probably better but something about the Subaru makes me want it for no reason. Going to test drive a bunch of stuff tomorrow.

The Subaru is gonna be really boring to drive, and if you do get it, at least get the manual. CVTs are horrible and break after 60k miles. The mazda wins by a mile unless you absolutely need AWD, and even then you'd be better off getting an AWD mazda CX-3.

What about the civic? Looks like it's great on gas and I don't hate the display like i do on the mazda? The only thing i lose there is the hatch space

>don't hate the display
Wut.
The Civic is great if you get it in manual. Stay away from the automatic option though, it has a CVT

Get a miata

i hate the center display system of the mazda
the civics is actually really nice
and i actually just realized i could save a few grand and get the civic EX and use apple car play/android auto for navigation instead of getting the EX-L with nav. plus im moving to the dirty south so id rather not have the hot black leather seats

*EX-T with the 1.5 turbo
not the EX with the 2.0 that got recalled

Is this the thread where we ask for buying recommendations?
I have $15k to spend including tax. I'd prefer something a bit more luxurious and sport. Less than 75k miles and no older than 2009. Any advice?

An older lexus coupe can be had for half that. Spend the other half perfecting it and making it your own.

>op picture

I hate you and your reddit sense of humor. Suck eggs faggot

what's the best site for buying cars?

Get a N/A SW20 MR2, it's easy to drive and gets 30 mpg or as americans like to say "35 mpg".