QTDDTOT : Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Educate Yourselves edition

>Ask Veeky Forums questions that are either sensible or stupid here.
>Also answer to questions if you know them.

Last QTDDTOT got archived.

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-4AGE-20V-Silvertop-Head-With-Quad-Throttle-Bodies/331907411703?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140131123730&meid=d7d2b4c55a4c4ea8b0be75a04e2bd5cc&pid=100167&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=322195056868
youtube.com/watch?v=s--5ft5YiHg
youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc
focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/290613-2001-ford-focus-se-zetec-dohc-idle-rough-erratic-stumbles.html
genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_88&products_id=532
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How many other people get on GTA V, go into first person mode and just cruise around on the windy backroads in your favorite cars to suppress the depression that comes with poverty?

Are wheel spacers really as bad as people say?

how big of a spacer are you considering?

What sites should you check out when looking for used cars?

Why have a bunch of furry degenerates invaded Veeky Forums. are they all nocarz? are they jealous of our shitboxes?

What does sti stand for? all i get from google is sexually transmitted diseases and subaru's site.

its summer

subaru technica international

not if the offset stays the same and the studs are extended
and if the material is decent

depends where you live

VW Polo sedan 1.4 tdi or Opel Astra H 1.7 cdti caravan ? which would you pick ?

My (now) ex gf poured a gallon of water into my gas tank an hour ago. I haven't started the car, so what do?

don't start it. all the water will stay in the tank. look up how to drain your fuel tank and go from there. it shouldn't be ruined

Fuck, that sounds like a hassle and I have to travel in the morning. Is it a long process? I have a 96 Accord if that helps. That fucking bitch, I swear....

Try to suck it up without choking yourself with a small tube. Drain the tank as far as you can. Then keep the tank lid open for a few hours. Then pour the required fuel. It'll start. Minor unusual sounds may occur but don't care about that.

And that seemed so stupid of her to do that. I'm glad she's your ex now.

Won't gas rot teeth or release poison fumes?

Keep a bottle of water ready beside you. When you get something in your mouth wash your mouth as fast as you can.

Chicago

Benzol is a very strong cancerogen, but getting a bit of it in your mouth wont givw you insta cancer. As said, just wash your mouth as soon as possible.

My brakes have begun squeaking/shrieking under even light pressure. Are the pads or rotors worn? I've only driven it 4,000 miles.

Look up how to start a siphon.

its 75 degrees F outside
what would be better for my car? driving on low rpm's or high?

throw a brick through your neighbours front window then leg it

Does it sound like a train coming to a stop? More importantly, do they actually brake properly?

Your pads are probably worn down, take a look or if you don't know what you're looking at, get someone who does. Brakes assist in not dying.

I'm a little new to cars so please excuse me, but I've done some researching after looking up FF vs FR vs 4WD

If I'm to understand correctly, none of those three need a transmission; FF has a transaxle, RWD has a driveshaft and 4WD has a transfer case. So why does everyone talk about "Transmission" issues? I'm not sure about RR but I would assume it too uses a transaxle...

hey Veeky Forums

I got into a fender bender type accident. Backed out of my driveway into someone elses car. I got their rear door dented and scratched. They implied I got the front of their vehicle too but I don't see how I would've touched the front of the car and miss the passenger side door only to get the rear door. Anyway.

I'm a new driver and haven't hit anyone. The person was FOB it seemed and didn't speak english well at all. We didn't exchange insurance information because they said they were late going to court or something? Eh. No idea. Anyway, they know where I live since the accident happened in front of my house and I called out to them to come back later as they rushed back to their car. What do I do next? I have no idea what to do in this type of situation. The other person didn't seem to have a clue either. Anyway, would like some opinions. Thanks.

Does seat ventilation removes farts?

Pulling an engine on a shit box grand prix to replace a gasket for "fun". My dad came over to shoot the shit and said since I has not run since like January that the rings are gonna be fucked.

Is he speaking fudd or does he have a point?

How hard's replacing a head gasket on a generic 2000 (7afe) corolla?

I do that in Gta Online. Just cruising around the state then go back home. Such is life

Why is it bad to drive with one hand permanently on the shift? I have a friend of mine that does it and it drives me fucking nuts, but I can't really think of why it would be bad to do.

Am I at risk of any legal trouble for swapping out my odometer with 70k which was stuck for one with 195k which works normally? Actual milage was estimated by previous seller to be ~125k and it all checked out as such. I know I can just check the "actual milage unknown" box if I were to sell it, but it's an 89 Saab 900 and I'm gonna drive it till it dies. Am I in any legal gray area? Pennsylvania by the way

I drive like that and no one seemed to care about me doing it. You are one nit-picking idiot.

if i do really mad revmatched downshifts to engine brake do i look like a dickhead

Also, Saab 900 related, what the F hooks up to this tach circuit thing? Mine is faulty anyway, but it's now not working at all. Does a cable come.somewhere and plug into it or should I make sure the printed circuit is on tight?

It's only if you heavily rest your hand on it. Supposedly it wears on the links. I just rest my hand on the center console.

You dense motherfucker.
All of those have transmissions. What you said is correct they have those things but those things are only to transfer power from the transmission to the wheels. So whatever source you were reading probably just assumed you knew there was a transmission there somewhere.
God i wish i had that 200 percent dense image with syndrome.

For a car that's been sitting still for 2-3 years, what fluids would people recommend me to change on my car

also what other bits would- generally speaking- need replacing?

? I thought dense meant purposefully playing dumb, and I'm not.
>those things are only to transfer power to the wheels
So why is the transmission needed? There's the engine, and there's the parts that connect it to the wheels. Why complicate things? Heck, why not just use one motor per wheel.

posted in other thread but should i buy this and recondition it

ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-4AGE-20V-Silvertop-Head-With-Quad-Throttle-Bodies/331907411703?_trksid=p5411.c100167.m2940&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140131123730&meid=d7d2b4c55a4c4ea8b0be75a04e2bd5cc&pid=100167&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=322195056868

>just seemingly dumped there
>1+ day left

nah I'd leave it to some other sod to sort out

you are probably baiting no body can be that dumb but. if you really that dumb then i should tell you.
you know that transmission is gears right ? that every car has to have ?
why dont you ask yourself if there should be only one engine and wheels. why when the car is accelerating fast engine is keep cutting off getting to low rpms ?
thats becus gearing like in a bycycle. you fuck. just google it for fuck sake

Well i appreciate your intrigue and willingness to learn.
Well the purpose of the transmission is actually to make better use of the engines power. If you have the engine directly powering the car acceleration would be slow as there are now gears to lighten the load of the heavy ass car. So in summary the transmission lets the engine not work so hard by using the gears within it to apply power in sequentially larger gears and speeds.
Also just look up the purpose of a transmission might be a better explanation than mine.

All fluids preferably, but at a minimum fuel, engine oil, coolant, brake and clutch fluid.

Trans/diff fluids typically have a much longer life but if it were me I'd change those as well.

Other than that check fuel lines, brake lines, coolant lines, change any belts, ignition system( spark plugs, wires, etc) and a new air filter.

but couldn't i just part it if it's fucked? cams are at least 200

> why when the car is accelerating fast engine is keep cutting off getting to low rpms ?
...What? Seriously, what the fuck do you mean, I can't understand you

If you're talking about the engine Tachometers moving up and down, I thought that was through input of the throttle... you know, as you go faster, you push it in slower and so forth, so you don't overpower or "lug" the engine, as engineeringexplained says.

The transmission lets it not work hard? So does it stifle the performance so you don't have to keep moving your foot to make the Tachometers go up and down? Because that sounds pretty annoying to have to do, and it would make sense. So it uses gears as a mechanism for, say, shutting off a bit of air or fuel, or what? Where is the transmission located exactly?

Sorry I forgot to mention, for an 88k ( in miles) car would you need clutch fluid? That sounds like a tricky job to me.

Dude. Go read more.
First of all the tachometer is showing you the revolutions per minute (rpm) of the engine via the crankshaft sensor. The transmission is always directly connected to the engine by via the flywheel. It doesnt stifle performance in any way it just lightens the load of the car so it can accelerate faster as a whole. Think of it like the old engine chain pulleys or hand winches. The gears within those things allow heavy loads to be pulled by hand. And in a similar way the transmission allows the engine to move the car efficiently.
Dude i dont even know any more if you're baiting me hard.

Sorry, you're really bad at explaining things. I've read enough to know that at least a third of that is wrong, and the rest of it is confusing because I don't know what a crankshaft sensor it's.

Why don't you fuck off, retard, and let me figure it out for myself? thanks.

Please enlighten me on how im wrong. Damn heathen who didnt even believe transmissions existed. Yeah i might not give the best explanations but at least i know my crap before sounding like a complete idiot.
But seriously if you want to learn go read more. Watch more videos and gtfo of Veeky Forums find some real car forums. Even those will have bs though. I hope you learn friend. Cheers.

How bad of an idea is buying a Z3 Coupe?

a good idea if you weld the diff and skid that mofo

Heathen?

Yeah.

We're done here.

-drops mic-

Holy shit rekt like never before
[ ] told
[ ] not told
[x] knights of the TOLD republic
[x] no country for TOLD men

Epic win. Reminds me of how things used to be...

Why'd you waste your time replying to that fag though?

Near my house, there is a '02 Saab 9-3 for 400-500 dollars. I have never had experience with a Saab and was wondering what are common problems with this model and what i should look at if im interested in buying it.

The 1.7 diesel Opels uses an Izusu engine, from what I hear its bretty good. But the 1.4 tdi will get better mpgs.

>$400 SAAB
buy the shit out of that car, an/o/n
especially if it's the 2.3L turbo

>Common Problems:
>glass transmissions (fkn chain drive)
>parts are extra rare and expensive
>forget finding Pick APart donors
>yuropeen problems like bad electrical wiring
>fwd, not as powerful as a stock turbobrick

>Common Good:
>great engines
>unique
>ignition in the center console

How is a coolant and brake fluid flush performed?

>what is youtube?
youtube.com/watch?v=s--5ft5YiHg
youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc

Thanks ill check it out when i get home from work will post pictures and an update if interested

two questions.

First, my heat works but my AC does not. Am I right in assuming that most likely the AC must be recharged, and there may be a leak in one of the AC lines?

Second, my car constantly feels like it's at about 20% throttle. When I start it up it'll sit anywhere from 900-1200 RPM (normal idle is about 750), and after accelerating sometimes it will stay on the RPM (say 2k rpm and it stays there) and sometimes it will go up to like 2300 RPM, for about a half second, and then drop back down to its increased idle.

I've got a few guesses as to what it could be, but right now I'm leaning towards throttle cable, as even when not driving there's a bit of slack in the top 10% of the throttle where I can just wiggle around the pedal with my foot, as if it's loose.
Things I've ruled out/replaced
>replaced idle air control valve
>replaced PCV valve
>replaced intake manifold gasket
Other thought is it could be the throttle position sensor

So interested. We like OC.
>pic related

>didn't mention make/model/year
nice.

>heat works, a/c doesn't, lost refrigerant?
possibly, or the compressor or its clutch aren't engaging. get an assistant to work the a/c from inside car and see if it engages when you turn it on. Then take it to a shop for a leak test/fix/recharge
>Car has poor throttle response, engine rpm surges
id say mess with the throttle cable slack no matter what (that shit shouldn't be loose), but that wouldn't account for the high idle
try cleaning the throttle body before testing/replacing the TPS

have to buy SAAB now
quads demands it

Can we expect a hybrid-truck in the near future?

I mean Ford is already sneakingly trying to get to that hybrid-era by introducing Eco-Boost to their F-150. Honda may be releasing a hybrid Ridgeline by this 2018. Dunno about Chevy, Toyota or RAM.

If one gets launched, what will be your opinions?

>hybrid trucks
no fuck off, go make a shiposting thread about this

>Ford is already sneakingly trying to get to that hybrid-era by introducing Eco-Boost to their F-150
How is introducing a turbo engine trying to get into the hybrid era. GM is canceling the hybrid Suburbans and Tahoes because of low sales, there's not a market for hybrid full size trucks and SUVs

Is it possible to get an actually reliable car for $500-$1500?

ya, but you have to know how to wrench
>source: my $200 turbo brick that was still less than $1k with repairs

I don't know how to wrench, would google be able to just help me wing any problems?

Yes. This was 850€ with 60€ in parts to pass inspection. Afterwards I put in some repairs/maintenance to make it nicer, but for the most part it cost me under 1400€.

Afterwards insurance valued it at 1700€.

For this you need to know wrenching and how to buy a car.

>will google/youtube help?
yes, absolutely
>is knowledge the same as experience?
no
but if you buy a reliable shitbox you can gain experience working on it
I recommend you take any shitbox you intend to buy to a mechanic and have them check it out
shouldn't cost more than $100
if it's a solid car then get it, do some basic maintenance like fluid changes and then go from there as it needs work
>also buy a chiltons for your vehicle, they're like $5 on amazon and it's a good backup to have

2000 focus with the zetec engine.
I've opened it up and looked at the throttle body (did it last spring on my SUV) and it's nowhere near dirty enough to be causing my issue.

>focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/290613-2001-ford-focus-se-zetec-dohc-idle-rough-erratic-stumbles.html

no shit it may just be a vacuum hose

>2000 focus
>I've found the problem this morning.
There is a hose behind the intake ( Vacuum ) that when engine is warm ( hose is warm too ) the hose collapse on itself and the engine start running very rough and then die.
When I reset the ECU it gives time for the hose to cool down and retake it's shape.
When the engine does it , just grab the hose behind the intake and squeez it the other way it is collapsed and the motor will run like it should.
I have put a worm gear clamp over it so it doesn't collaps until I get the hose from Ford.

>I had this issue with a 00 ZX3 a while back and I kind of forgot about this "infamous" vacuum hose collapsing on itself

Sup Veeky Forums, I want to drop a new motor/trans in my Aerostar. Currently thinking a 4.0l with a 2wd tranny out of a newer Ranger because it would bolt right up. Anybody have any other suggestions that won't cost an arm and a leg? I like the Duratec 30 as well but I can't find a rwd transmission for it.

not sure about hybrid but tesla will be releasing a pickup at some point.

First time buying car, what else than mileage, overall condition and price should be taken to note

Tempted to push my vehicle off the jack stands while I'm under it.

I just want it to look accidental. Don't want to be remembered as I committed suicide.

All my friends and family know I'm extremely cautious when under the vehicle. They've personally watched me show them how sturdy the vehicle sits before I go under. They've watched me place extra safety equipment under the vehicle as I don't trust the stands alone.

How do I apply lateral forces to my jack stands to make it look like they gave out?

They're sitting solid enough I can get a running start and slam myself into the car and it won't budge. Well, I've never tried that but I've given her hell to try and shake it off.

I just don't want anyone to feel at fault. I'd rather they blamed craftsman's jack stands. Surely they'll wonder why I skipped out of my extra safety equipment, but I don't care at this point.

Just want to go out without it looking intentional. The reason it's sitting on stands is it needed new ball joints after I tried driving into a tree, but I backed out at last second as it'd look suspicious as fuck as there was no reason to hit the tree, let alone leave the road.

will a motorcycle turbo work in a 4cyl car?

I guess I'm just getting old and I don't understand you kids anymore.

What the fuck does "Warning: If you get it. Because drift car" mean?

I though they fucking spoke english in australia?

The model's typical reliability, and cost of future repairs/maintenance.

this is the first time im hearing of this

It does sound like a train.

SAAB TIME!

>genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=44_88&products_id=532

Would it be risky for me to chiptune a stock 9-3 2.0T Saab with no mods done to it?

I am seriously thinking about getting one and these chips from this trusted website promises at least 60hp gain for 600$. Is it worth it or will it cost me my engine if I try do you think?

Why don't automatics lurch on gear changes?

When I change gear in a manual, I take my foot off the throttle to let revs drop to match the next gear. In an automatic, you don't move your foot, so why do the revs not jump up then the car lurch as the gear changes? I know there isn't constant power transmission, so how do the revs drop without any change in throttle position?

relevant captcha lmoa

The automatic cuts the fuel during shifting. Regarding manuals, if you don't time the shifts properly it jerks due to having to catch up or drop down to the correct revs abruptly.

I know how it works in a manual, and right, I see. I thought it might modulate the throttle, but cutting the fuel makes more sense. I guess it does pull the throttle for upshifting though?

I drive a 2011 Yaris Sedan. (automatic) . to get on the highway I have to floor it everytime. Even if the on ramp is downward sloped. Even then I have a hard time getting to 60 by the time i have to merge. Any suggestions? I'm gonna try replacing the spark plugs, but beyond that i have no clue.

I have to replace my a/c condenser after hitting a dear. someone told me I have to take it to a shop to put refrigerant back in it after I replace it since they have to hook it up to a machine that puts a vacuum in the lines. is this true? any idea how much it should cost me?

there's nothing wrong with your car, it has a tiny engine which is tuned and geared to get best possible gas mileage making your car slow as shit

ahh ya i feared that was the case. It was a hand me down from my sister, and I knew p much what to expect.

One more question though

My sisters bf is willing to trade me his 2007 Tacoma + 2k$. The Tacoma has 250k miles while my yaris has 70k. The Tacoma was recently taken to the mechanic and the mechanic said it's in great condition. He also says he'll pay for any repairs the car needs for the next year, asides from me crashing it ofc. I really can't decide. someone do it for me pls

do you need a truck?
otherwise, you're catching the steep end of this deal.

I don't specifically need a truck, but it would be very nice for moving music gear. to clarify he would be giving me the money plus the car. Could you explain why i'd be catching the steep end? Is it just because the truck has so many miles? Or because of of the gas mileage being so much worse. don't really have anybody too knowledgeable to talk about this stuff with so thanks.

Disconnect the fuel line. The fuel filter will probably be the easiest place. Look up how to jump the fuel pump relay on your car. As long as you can find the relay most cars will be the same procedure. It will empty the tank and will be relatively painless.

Car was gone when I got home, had the money in hand too sad day

Easily, but knowing how to turn a wrench and having a little common sense will go a long way. I paid 500$ cash for my little S10, and save the clutch slave going out (15 minute replacement), it was reliable as all hell.

Maybe this is a bigger question or set of questions than is appropriate for this thread but here goes.

I have been scared of driving for a long time, not being in a car, but being behind the wheel. I don't think I trust myself to have the awareness or competence necessary to haul a ton of metal at high speeds. But my Dad loves cars and superbikes, and through him talking about them I've gained at least an aesthetic appreciation and respect for them.

The other day I was looking up cars to use in a Cyberpunk (tabletop game) setting, and came across pic related, a 1994 Mazda Roadster, and it seemed pretty cheap too, only about £3750. For the first time ever I found myself wanting to drive. I've always liked the designs of older cars, I really dislike the post-2000's form factor of most affordable cars.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to pick up something like this? I've heard you can get 'body kits' to make a car look like an old version, but with modern mechanics. Would that be a better idea?

As I say, I've never driven a car, have no experience whatsoever, I'm 20 years old and I know some of this might seem ignorant to people who are really into this, but I want to gain an appreciation for it in time.

Are there any resources that could help guide me into the auto world? Really basic stuff. I live in the UK so anything appropriate to that would be nice.