Can we get an audi thread?

>can we get an audi thread?

I know the "Muh maintenence" meme is mostly Bullshit, from people who don't understand normal repair and wear parts.

But is audi the worst of the German Marques in this respect?

I've also heard they're a cunt to work on.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ZPJ64sTa7KI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

As a former Euro mechanic, I can safely say VWs and Audis are the most annoying Euro cars to work on. BMWs are about as unreliable, but they're easier to fix when they break. As for MB, they can be a bitch, but the build quality tends to be a little better than the other German makes. Still not Toyota-tier reliability.

Yes

Audi = unreliable and hard to work on

BMW = unreliable but easy to work on

Mercedes - reliable but hard to work on

>maintenance meme
>expensive premium car

Non premium cars exist for a reson.

What are you, 15?

>I know the "Muh maintenence" meme is mostly Bullshit
Have you actually owned an older Audi? My guess is no.

> can we get a Volkswagen thread?

There, i fixed it for you. Since Audis are nothing more than upmarketed VWs fit for gullible idiots that fall for the jewing.

Sorry but audis aren't premium.

When a car shares so much with a "peoples" Volkswagen it has no place in the premium range.

Idiots may claim otherwise, but they're just that, idiots.

You can say the same about any older car

>Sorry but audis aren't premium.

kill yourself

They're "premium" in the sense that they've got additional luxury things that aren't available on the "entry-level" VWs. In a sort of Lincoln or Cadillac kind of way.

Finally an Audi thread I can post my before and after in.

>audi
literally a brand for too rich gypsies and chavs

I don't know if I want to keep this car through college and save for basic tune+exhaust, wheels, and a suspension upgrade
New cars just don't feel the same as this 20 year old german shitbox (sub 40k)

How do you like your lack of ground clearance?

Define "upgrade."

I was talking about the perception of German luxury brands.

But it's true about audi

This looks great dude.

Contributing with my DD. Ask me anything related.

>t. assblasted police auction Panther-body driver

What the fuck is wrong with VAG?

The Volkswagen Phaeton was the perfect luxury car to bring attention to. Audi need not exist outside of sports car production.

If fucking KIA is making profitable mid tier luxury cars then VW executive cars will still make money.

Why do you give a fuck if things like your 4WD system are shared with a less "prestigious" marque? You can't perceive the effect, if any, that this has on your own car's performance. Besides, VAG uses Audi as the launching platform for all their new gimmicks anyway, so technically, anything you can get on a VW, etc. was lifted from an Audi and not vice-versa.

Bask in the glow of my Italian styling

the italians really showed up their flair and finesse with that "cardboard box on wheels" design

Should I buy one of these as a versatile AWD daily driver. I don't think I'll be commuting a ton but I'd like to do ski trips and some longer road trips in it. Will it be a money pit even if I do all my own maintenance? What should I look for in a used one?

>What should I look for in a used one?

a different car

get a loyale if you're going to scrape the bottom of the wagon barrel

I know you're making fun of me but I honestly like the cardboard box on wheels look, it's more pleasant than the "melted bar of soap" or "angry balloon" looks that everything has used since.

I totally don't mind the car, it just doesn't have anything that differentiates it from say, a Lada or Fiat of the time. It has no exterior identity.

It's not that they're money pits, but finding a lot of the parts is getting kind of hard these days. Old Audis aren't a common sight at wrecking yards, so be prepared to eBay hunt. The online communities also pale in comparison to the old vw forums.

I get that. The sedan isn't very recognizable, especially in silver. A bright red Coupe GT is on my wish list.

Japanese = reliable and easy to work on

newer audis look really nice

I like how that looks, actually I like how old boxy cars look, but the Audi is the only one that has more to offer on the insides as well. Take care of that ride man.

Yep, I would prefer that A8-shape and look or S4 of this era rather than the A4 because A4 B5 ass is fat. Nose looks nice tho, just had to personalize it a bit.

I really like what you did to the front end.

5/5, would drive over speed bumbs sideways

Coils

You`re paying premium tho and that`s the only thing that matters.

Is it pronounced Ow-di or Awe-di?

Saudi

Not quite.

Audi's lineup used to be better separated from VW's, but now a lot of it is co-mingled. Some Audis are still Audis though.

Basically,
Longitudinal AWD = Audi (generally A4 and up)
Transverse w/ Haldex = rebadged VW (TT, A3, S3)

It's annoying that there's so much market overlap with VW and Audi now, but it's hard to blame them. Badgewhores can't get enough of those overpriced A3 sedans (aka Jettas with a Audi badges).

Passat B5 and Phaeton are really more like rebadged A4s and A8s than the other way around, also.

I'm pretty satisfied.

ou-dee.

Not about "build" as much as it is about "look".

>before instagram filters
>after instagram filters

kys

Funny, as the most reliable Audis are the ones with the 2.3l inline 5 from the 90s.

>most reliable Audis

1.8 n/a grannymobile gas guzzlers.

Nice instagram profile faggot

who likes audi 4000? Are the diesels any good? They seem to go for cheap

What is the point of an Audi? For VW dudebros that want to look richer than average?

I'm gonna do front pads/rotors on my neighbor's 2015 A7 3.0T (356x34mm rotors), anything I should expect?

Lots of "why would you ever do something like that?".

A lawsuit

It didn't look too bad looking at it online. Just a lot of hex cap pins instead of bolts (why) and a torx bit for a rotor set screw (actually pretty smart, fuck Philips/+ heads that strip out)

Audi should be eliminated as a car company. There's no reason for their existence because how shitty they are to work on, their frequent everything-goes-wrong-breakdowns, and they're low-grade euro luxury at best.

Why are there no 80s boxy audi in the U.S.?

Limited release or are they all long broken down?

Isn't the A4 based on the jetta though?

Nah, the Jetta is a Golf sedan and the A3 is a rebadged Golf, so the A3 sedan is a rebadged Jetta.

The A4/80 did share its platform with the Passat for certain generations, but I don't think the current one does.

yeah, it's okay.

expensive to maintain heap. I never beat on it, still breaks.

love the fucking torque though, its fantastic for hilly areas, and how quiet and comfy it is.

currently for sale so i can buy a bmw touring wagon.

Audi nearly killed itself in the US with the miserable Fox of the Seventies so it was not a popular brand at all in the Eighties. Add in the 60 Minutes hatchet job on the 5000 and it's a wonder any were sold at all.

Okay now that you say that I remember reading that.

Audi is shit so it doesn't surprise me. A girlfriend of mine has a A4 2005.

She's put 6k work into it and to top it off all the upholstery is coming apart. Fucking trash

>"Muh maintenance" meme is mostly Bullshit

Bro, two A6s shit the bed on me, an '02 and an '06. Timing chain tensioner......it ain't bullshit. You want German reliability? Mercedes.

>Audi is shit so it doesn't surprise me.
The unintended acceleration stuff turned out to be bullshit though.

I still want an A8 W12. I don't know if it will ever happen, but so much want.

Your girlfriend didn't know how to maintain it. Let me guess, FSI? If so, her fault, should have known better.

youtu.be/ZPJ64sTa7KI

Maybe pre-2000 Merc

Bump

How do you maintain upholsteryour stitching? The whole back of one of the seats is falling off as well as the middle console.

People think audi is expensive like bmw or Benz. It's not, it's a lot cheaper so dumb fucks buy them.

In america you're buying cars made in mexico, what do you expect? Having worked in commercial automotive industry, I can tell you that the same vehicle made in two different countries, hell, two different factories can have massive differences in build quality. Go look at msg number specifically explains some differences in two european countries.

Sorry about your girlfriend's car, it sucks when they become a financial burden.

Except most of the high end German cars we get were and still are made in Germany. Bad engineering decisions made in Munich/Stuttgart/Wolfsburg will be replicated whether the car is built in Germany, Hungary, Mexico, Southeastern USA, Brazil, or South Africa.

I disagree on some key points here. I work in a service shop and without fail, all three are terrible to work on. They're about as non-intuitive as a car can be - and I'm a fan of Mopar. The Audis are typically the least terrible in terms of difficulty. Mercedes are, however, the least broke dick of the three. BMWs look like they're falling apart underneath the hood as soon as they break 10k miles.

That said, I'd still rather work on one of them than the shitboxes Chevy churns out.

Imported cars from Germany are guaranteed to be built to tighter standards, no matter the engineering behind them. There is a reason these vehicles are highly prevalent in Europe, and it has nothing to do with price.

This stopped being true in the early 1990s, and doesn't explain why:

BMW:

Doesn't add enough structural sheetmetal/welds to suspension attachment points (E36/E46 all built in Germany/South Africa, and Mini made in England)

Loves using plastic impellers on their water pumps that inevitably break off (Every 3/5 Series since the 1980s to present day, and I know for a fact those pumps are usually made by Saleri in Italy)

Used the shittiest possible plastic/glues to build the interiors of their cars (affects them whether built in Regensburg/Dingolfing/Munich, Germany or South Africa/South Carolina USA)

Bad turbos/wastegates/fuel pumps on N54/N55 cars (335i/535i, all built in Germany)

Audi/VWs:

Timing Chains with guides that wear out early and located behind the engine, horrible oil consumption, and carbon buildup that can lead to a loss of 20-40whp over 30k miles (On V8 4.2 FSI models, almost ALL built entirely in Necklarsulm, Germany)

Bad turbos/wastegates on KKK K03S 2.7TTs (again, most of these cars were built in Germany)

Cam follower guides and fuel pumps on 05-08.5 2.0T FSIs (engines were all built in Germany and shipped to Mexico for the Jettas, and most of the other cars they came in like A4s/GTIs/Passats/Tiguan were built in Germany)

Extremely strict timing belt intervals (as in, I've seen 1.8T belts break +/- 3,000 miles from 60/120k miles) and insistence on using plastic water pump impellers since the early 1990s

These are ALL preventable engineering failures. And funny how GM, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Ford can build reliable cars in Mexico while somehow only VW can't. All it would take is less environmentally friendly adhesives/plastics, using less fucking plastic, and making the car reasonably easy to work on and simpler (NOT SO MANY FUCKING TORX/HEX HEADS AND ODD METRIC BOLTS PLEASE)

I have an Audi A3 8L (2002) and it hold its ground. Need some fix herr and there, maintenence is somewhat expansive for the country I live but its a comfy car. I like to drive it.

I own a body shop.

Audi/VW and Benz always cause fights with techs as to who has to do them. Esepcially Audi/VW they are over engineered but built with plastic and cheap parts to keep costs down.

Can confirm that I have turned customers away just because I am not in the mood to deal with german shit at the time.

Amateur shop

Nothing wrong with metrics or torx and hex, at least they're consistent and don't strip. What comes to chains, Audi has made it very clear what type of oil and oil change intervals to adhere to. And petrol FSI and GLI are and have always been shit in both VAG and Mitsu.

thats a lot of money to look like a faggot

I read all of this in Scotty Kilmer's voice

For you

sure you do :^)

Posting the only S-Line on Veeky Forums.

This

Au-di

This, people really need to fuck off with the muh mexican built meme
The allroad is one of the worst audis to own and its built by krautniggers

Replaced the 2003 Passat with the 2010 A4.

Other than the oil consumption, its been a lot easier on the pocketbook than the VW ever was.

>Del Ray

Seeing as how the RS4 is only an inch higher than where I have it, I like it a lot.

Mein negros.
Lol! If it looks stock then I'm doing a good job.

Bus riders.

>German-made cars are not as reliable as many believe, according to new research. Warranty Direct has studied its claims data to compile a list of the manufacturers with the most reliable engines - and Audi, BMW and Volkswagen all finished in the bottom 10 out of a total 36 makers.

Bottom 10 manufacturers

Manufacturer Failure rate (%) Failure rate (1 in x)
1 MG Rover 7.88% 1 in 13
2 Audi 3.71% 1 in 27
3 MINI 2.51% 1 in 40
4 Saab 2.49% 1 in 40
5 Vauxhall 2.46% 1 in 41

Position Maker Reliability score (highest worst)
32. Mercedes Benz 215
33. Chrysler 221
34. Audi 223
35. Jeep 227
36. Porsche 380
37. Bentley 637