Integrated navigation system

Why do these cost $2,500 vs stand-alone GPS module which costs just $200?

Because your Walmart GPS that you have to plug into the cigarette lighter is a sign of being a poorfag and won't get you that trophy wife.

>Having a dash/center console with less computing power than an i3 and less than 10 inches of display size.
I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Isn't having aftermarket car entertainment system a sign of a retard who will spend all his meagre paycheck into ricing his 20 year old shitbox?

Nobody said anything about aftermarket.

>less computing power than an i3

As far as I know, there is no stock car entertainment system that has that much computing power, not even Tesla.

Because people will pay

You made me feel bad... not. Totally worth it, over 1k put into a 20-year old car on audio alone. Gonna put another quarter in later this month.

what's wrong with spending $200 for an in-dash bluray/stereo/gps with usb, microsd, and aux inputs?

>$200

That costs a lot more than $200.

Why do I have to spend $40.000 for a premium car with that awful tablet screen randomly glued on the dashboard?

The most insulting thing about built-in navigation is that 99% of the time they lack realtime traffic info and OTA map updates, making them near-useless in crowded cities.

because
a) more like $400+
b) even the best ones run 3-year-old android on a bottom of the barrel chink processor, and wince based ones are just total crap.

What if I copped an aftermarket unit because the factory installed one was half the size and had 1/4 of the functions?

I wish I could replace my pathetic factory unit without losing warranty ;_;

It's so worth it man, Carplay and Android Auto shit on anything car makers put on the dashboard.

Many cars have Android Auto/Apple carplay. Like Honda's line up with the upgraded head unit with navigation.

But you brought up a reason, Because it's not always just navigation that gets added to the car for that cost, It's a better all around sound system (better amps, speakers which there's usually more of), Like in the main picture you get a compatible instrument panel, And you get a clean integration without having to worry about someone breaking your window to steal it from your car.

I will always option to have the better stereo in my cars.

I would rather just have a minimal headunit with aux/bluetooth, and use my phone/small gps the few times I don't know where the fuck I am.

>less computing power than an i3
More like less computing power than a mobile Pentium. I really don't understand why infotainment systems are so horribly dated when they're going in such an expensive vehicle.

That's not even the worst part. I have a 2008 civic si with a navi and the updated navigation dvd costs $150.

I paid $795 for nav in my car. It was overpriced but the nav updates are not bad. The main value is that I live in New York and sometimes when I go upstate/into Canada, I have no usable cell phone reception.

Nav updates aren't bad either, the SD cards go for around ~$50 on eBay.

Yep. Especially in Japanese cars the nav gets bundled in with the stereo upgrade.

As someone who works on these for a living, there's a horrendous amount of engineering overhead behind the scenes.

For just the specifications in the in-dash systems in the new Camry and Lexus models for 2017, there's 300 specification groups, of which there are about 20 documents per group, of which there are about 10 pages per document.

It's absolutely terrifying that this fucking folder of this year's specifications entirely composed of word docs, PDFs and spreadsheets is 20 fucking gigabytes. The best part is that the specs don't even make sense.

Part of this is just automaker inefficiency and part of it is unavoidable overhead.

Nice blog, grandpa.