Friend has a 2015 Camaro SS

>Friend has a 2015 Camaro SS
>first supercharged it
>then adds nitrous
>not enough
>home installs 92mm eBay turbo with no supporting mods
>car actually runs incredibly strong for a month on 13 lbs though never dyno tuned
>videod keeping up with 780whp GTR from a roll

>two days ago
>out doing highway pulls
>~120 mph nearing redline
>woosh
>bang
>*sound of bits of metal scattering*
>silence
>smell of burnt metal and oil

Other friend was following
>"I heard the engine suddenly rev out and then backfire and then a very loud pop even though I was well over 30 car lengths behind him at WOT myself“

>"first there was a big cloud of black smoke, then an even bigger cloud of grey smoke, and then a FUCKING HUGE cloud of white smoke that went on forever and billowed out for minutes. Several semi trucks were made completely invisible in the smoke cloud and cops eventually showed up not because we'd been racing but because a motorist in the opposite direction had reported a car had exploded"

Pieces of piston

Probably just need some polishing and a seafoam

Insurance?
And also if you post gm stuff ford will try to call you a bitch

I like this story,

But your friends an idiot

Deserved it for being a faggot. I guess he thought it was fun and now mum will get a new car for him. Feel sorry for the next shitbox he will own.

Last one

He removed the turbo, reflashed the ecu and trailered the car to the dealer he bought it from

Tech looked around for about 15 minutes, came out laughing with 3 other techs and asked how much boost he was running

No warranty service for him

>insurance
wat?

Liability

Yup

You'd think he was a spoiled rich kid but he's not, just dumb. I think he spent 75% of his net worth on the car and now it's done because he can't afford new motor. He's back to driving his old crx.

Dumb is an understatement.

now its time to piss people off and get a 2jz

lol, rekt

Normal car insurance does not cover repairs like that.
Any any supplemental insurance that does is a scam.

>2015 Camaro
>Liability insurance only

Welcome to the south

People who live in $70k houses and make $23k annually drive $55k trucks with liability insurance

I'm somewhat impressed that the engine lasted a whole month w/ 13 lbs of boost and nary a fuck to be given.

Friend is a dumb faggot tho

And nothing of value was lost

Is that the mythical oil detonation?

Hell of a way to go, that engine went through hell

Goddamn, I can't even imagine things being that cheap. I live in Western Washington and make around $28k/year and I'm barely on the verge of being able to live alone. I'm just trying to save up money at my parents' place to put a huge down payment on a house because I don't want to pay $1800/month in rent for a shitty 2 bedroom apartment.

Gm engines and transmissions are strong as all fuck but good lord

Fucking. Kek. What the fuck is he doing turboing a Camaro? Bitch could have gotten the LSA supercharger from the ZL1 straight from Chevy, with warranty.

prolly a stupid fucking ricer

>70K houses
>23K anually
What the fuck? I live more expensively and I'm east european.

>tfw 35k house and 24k/yr

I could probably have it paid off but I'm shit with money

The south is a truly strange place.

Hahahahahahahah

I've got a friend like this. he's a super nice guy, but fuck he has no mechanical sympathy or thoughts of what happens after something shits the bed. he works as a manager at h&m and him and his gf are barely scraping by, but he beats the ever living shit out of his car on a daily. it's a 1986 Nissan z31 n/a, which we swapped the turbo engine into. he power shifts like crazy, second gear synchro almost gone within just a few months of driving it, the engine had 150,000kms on it when we first plopped it in the car, and 5 minutes after getting the thing back on the road after more than a year of sitting, he's redlining it. his brakes were worn down to metal on metal with less than a year of driving on those pads/rotors and even then he's still flooring it up to people's bumpers and then hammering on the brakes at the last minute.

his gearbox and engine are gonna take a shit and he has absolutely no way of funding a replacement but he doesn't seem to realize this.

again, he's a super nice guy, but fuck I hate driving with him because I don't wanna be in the car when his shit breaks especially after I've invested so much of my time to give him a hand making it run.

now we've got a track day on the 29th and I have a feeling he's gonna kill it.

compound charged, bottle fed ls, mmhmm. magically just removes turbo, not custom manifolds, intercooler, nitrous solenoids wiring, hoses and tank, what about the big fuel pump(s) and rising rate fpr? the tuner and gauge package? 14 psi isn't much boost either.

8/10 though many replies.

>14 psi isn't much boost either.
on a stock v8 it fucking is are you trolling?

the dickhead probably wot 24/7 too

Yea but "expensive" in Eastern Europe is buying the 8 Euro bottle of vodka for the night to help you forget that you live in Eastern Europe instead of buying the 4 Euro bottle.

Tejasfag here
You have no idea.

>all these faggots
Blowing up an engine is a rite of passage you little girls. Now that the factory LS is dead, he can get a build bottom end and some head work and run 20psi through the next one

lol ausfag here this is basically what rich farmers kids are like fucking dickheads they are

Modern LS are pretty fucking stronk, if it was tuned properly at 12psi it would've held up for at least a few more months.

Your friend has mental problems and he lives a 1/4 mile at a time.

He's more Veeky Forums than you will ever be.

it's not enough to shatter a piston, boost usually turns rods into cooked spaghetti

14psi @ 10.5cr =20.5 dyn. cr

20 psi @ 8.5cr = 20.05 dyn. cr

see not that high. either the story is bs or the LS is a piece of shit.

Faggot, 14psi on a GT28 is a hell of a lot different than 14psi on a GT55.

You can't just go 'hurr psi' and ignore turbo size.

I work with a guy who brags about blowing up engines as well. His parents continue to buy him shit, father owns a full stock garage, literally just got a boat "for no reason".

So i can see why its just not that big a deal to some.

And theyre actually proud of it. Nothing they "own" even on their own body was worked for.

no 14psi is 14psi, the turbine size and ar should be sized to the motor. You can get boost spikes or boost loading at lower rpm's but it's the same increase in atmospheric pressure. LS is just weak and will shit a piston under the same conditions as many engines are used.

Dole bludger here im proud as fuck ive managed to waste most of my money on my fucking v8 ls

Alright dickhead, name the other engines with cast internals that would last a month with 13psi from a 92mm turbo.

That's the point. They're living in poverty but they damn sure got themselves a $60K truck.

>invest large sum of money into engine.
>invest even larger sum of personel time and labor
>grenade it within a week
>proud

Hey if you wipe your ass with c-notes because you can, more power to ya. Trial and error is a facet of working on cars but knowingly fitting your car to detonate, youre not a racer, youre an incredibly shitty mechanic.

>gm
>pushrods
>he didn't get Ecoboost
kys

wew trigger alert!

Stating the obvious = triggered?

Looks like the valve crashed into the piston.

Also, why is that valve hollow in the middle?

Your're point being?

You seem mad

>be ausfag
>really cheap shitty houses are $300,000 AUD ($223,882 USD)

kek the guy is a fuckwhit putting 800hp through a stock top end fucking dumbass ai

>Also, why is that valve hollow in the middle?
Weight and heat distribution, I guess.

I see, the whole engine would have survived if the valve's would have been changed.
Pretty sad story

>that font

underage

The least he could have done was put in stiffer valve springs.

I bought a seized motor+transmission on craigslist for $60 with a similar failure.

Just saying this
I dont know where it seems im mad. That im actively shootin the shit on here while im bored at work?

Hold me, friend. Its legitimatly impossible to buy a house in this shitty country unless you already own one with equity

>building a turbo LS for top end power instead of mid range torque

Did he foolishly admit to using a turbo?

My guess is that if hes stupid enough to do this shit hes stupid enough to fold when he was found out

>I dont know where it seems im mad. That im actively shootin the shit on here while im bored at work?
AH my bad hahahahaah read it wrong

>living in poverty
How is driving a brand new truck, drinking a 12 pack a day, shooting deer and squirrels from the front porch, and watching a 70" TV living in poverty?

Did you read it right? It was compound supercharged+ Turbo

>he can't afford new motor
Why can't he go the junkyard and get a 6.0 or 6.2?

>Why can't he go the junkyard and get a 6.0 or 6.2?
a new crate motor is like 5k isnt it?

It wasn't the boost pressure that cause that, it was detonation. Look at the other cylinder right next to it. See how rough the top of the piston looks, that caused by detonation. Even the discrption the op gave with the backfire before it came apart is a tell tale sign of detonation. Sounds like it was way under fueled for the power he was pushing. Anytime you start to throw boost at an n/a motor you need to do huge fuel upgrades, injectors and fuel pumps to keep things safe.

>a new crate motor is like 5k isnt it?
Depends on what you want. But it sounds like OP's retarded fried is broke, and junkyard is a lot cheaper.

>How is driving a brand new truck, drinking a 12 pack a day, shooting deer and squirrels from the front porch, and watching a 70" TV living in poverty?
When you do all that from a lean-to you built up against your neighbor's pile of coors light bottles, its pretty fuckin poverty.
It doesn't help when most of em make life choices the same way OPs friend does.

>oil detonation
is this real?

i mean if the oil really gets hot enough will it catch and ignite ?

Are you saying oil poured in through the heads or something?

just looks like the stock valve failed

yeah, but don't you fags make like $300 per hour working at mcdonalds because equality?

>no ls1 $500 swap afternoon post in the whole thread
we made it 70 replies in i am impressed

this

I don't think it was compound boosted, it sounds like he removed the SC and nitrous before going turbo

After getting ragged on with an sc/nos combo beforehand?

Those pics are catastrophic failure, that engine went through hell.

>live in San francisco
>2 bedroom shit house cost me $825,000
>make 44k a year and will be paying this for years to come
>no money for any cool modz anymore

What fucking bank approved your loan on a house for 825k while only making 44k a year?

Nigga I don't believe you.

Yea that don't pass the smell test at all.

I got approved for 500K with 125K yearly income and 800 credit score.

$825K with $44K income? He must have 10 consigners/roommates.

There's dumb and then there's your friend

Considering you'd have a payment of around 4k/mo you literally don't make enough.

What the fuck is wrong with your hand

240k down payment credit score of 800, plus fiances credit score of 800, and her income is 46k
monthly payment is 2800, i dont know what you guys are talking about, i went through wells fargo for my loan and had no issues

They drive Fords and not Dodges, but otherwise you have it completely correct.

>240k dollar down payment
Who died?
Cool half story the first time though.

You conveniently left out the fact that your REAL income is 90K a year and that you put down 240K...

At this point I could see a bank approving that.

Dont bait people into replies saying you make "only" 44k. Btw, thats shit money for that area. I make that in RURAL WESTERN NC.

Oil entering combustion drops octane significantly. Boosting a NA motor causes blowby and half-assing the PCV system can do this.

>14 psi isn't much boost either.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell, I would be shocked if the majority of you even knew how misinformed that statement is.

it isn't..

>Now that the factory LS is dead

>Modern LS are pretty fucking stronk

>building a turbo LS

>Why can't he go the junkyard and get a 6.0 or 6.2?

2015 SS has the new LT engine. Thats gonna be 'spensive. No $500 LS here b/o/ys

>dude you guys are dumb look i had this extremely uncommon amount for a downpayment

cool story.

so you got approved for 500k with a 90k income. why didnt you just say that.

you dont need any internal mods to support less than a bar on anything with under 10:1 compression with modern tuning. sorry that you're a keyboard tuner.

unless your goal is an engine that lasts 100k+

>american build quality
keksimus maximus, you cant make this shit up

probably right.
The amount of time an engine spends at full load on the road is limited to seconds.
Its not like anyone can hold the engine at WOT for 5 minutes straight.

You got diabetes Mr. StubbyHands?

You fuckin druggo

>Modded car
>liability insurance

It's called "not asking for a fraud charge". If you don't ask them to cover the mods, they won't care. Most aren't jewish enough to pop the hood and say "uhuhuhuh, you couldn't handle the power".

m3/m4 owner detected

Bro kill yourself. I make like 20k a year and live alone.

It's called living within your means.

back then it was niggers now its mom and daddy