I know nothing about Australian automotives. What are the best original Australian cars? Name as many as you'd like

I know nothing about Australian automotives. What are the best original Australian cars? Name as many as you'd like.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1970 Holden Torana. Only 3 produced before GM said no to an all Australian car.

Ford Falcons, Holden Commodores, Toranas, Chrysler Valiants and Valiant Chargers.

We mucked about a fair bit with straight sixes.

Holden, HSV, FPV, Bolwell, Elfin, Devaux, Giocattolo.

>tfw no more Falcons and Commodores.

1969 Holden Hurricane
I wonder what the drag co-efficient is on this car

If push comes to shove we'll raid scrapyards, rebuild the skidded-into-the-rails Falcodores and import over Americlap engines for them.

It'll be some real Mad Max shit.

Is that the Chrysler Slant Six? was there any differences between the american version and aussie one?

This reminds me of the Fox body Mustang.

AMC is Chrysler i6 so same engine or close to the straight I 6 as well

Hemi-6 Engine. Unique to Oz.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Hemi-6_Engine

>hemi
>side entry plugs
>not even fucking crossflow
Pathetic desu

Better looking than anything to ever come out of America. Imagine how this would have shat on anything that tried to do the same thing, it would have brought holden international success and made it a billion dollar company that could separate from fucking GM

FACKEN VX ON BAGS CUNT

Why do you think GM killed it.

Philosophical question. Is a car produced solely for a certain market, but obviously still under the brand ownership, oversight, and headquarters of another country still considered a car of the country it's built for?

Example: Ford Australia, even if the models are Australia-only, it's still a Ford. Does it make a difference to you?

Yes, Ford Australia=/=Ford Europe=/=Ford NA=/=Global Ford (although Ford is heading the global route). That's even taking into account models designed in one region that may have been offered globally.
Badge origin does not equal country of origin. Same way the Titan and Tundra are 100% American vehicles.

>Hemi 6
>pathetic
in race spec it produced 300hp, which shat on rival race v8's of its time and it was only a 4.3litre 6 cylinder. Modern enthusiasts can easily produce 300-350hp out of these 45 year old engine blocks, its a fantastic engine

Ford has multiple divisions (i.e. Ford of Aus, Ford of US, Ford of EU) so if the car comes from Ford AU, it's an Australian car.

The Australian Falcon has sweet dick all to do with Ford America so calling it an American car would be stupid.

Ford Falcons, XW - FGx
Holden Kingswoods
VE/VF Commonwhores
Chrysler Valiants VH-CM

Our 6 cylinder cars are based. Other than those i cant think of any good locally produced aussie cars. Many are direct copies or rebadges of Korean shit. After local manufacturing leaves next year all Aussie cars are going to be imported, rebadged FWD shitboxes

>in race spec it produced 300hp, which shat on rival race v8's of its time
Oh really? How much Bathurst and production racing success did they have against the 400hp V8s again?
>and it was only a 4.3litre 6 cylinder
300hp isn't impressive out of an individual choke 4.3L engine.
>Modern enthusiasts can easily produce 300-350hp out of these 45 year old engine blocks, its a fantastic engine
When 500hp is achievable out of similar period 5.7 and 5.8 V8s, it pales into insignificance.

Heh, even Holden's "inferior" six could achieve what the "Hemi" (kek) six couldn't. It even managed similar outputs with a significantly smaller displacement.

Look at its rivals 6 cylinder engines, the 202 produced fuckall and the 250 was never modified for any sort of performance, meaning the Hemi was a good engine for its day in comparison

There are also serious modifications done to some including custom fuel injection and turbocharging that has made these Hemi's get over the 400hp mark, its a decent engine

friendly reminder the 265 charger raped every other australian car available in 1/4 mile acceleration

LOL
the xu1 made HALF THE POWER of an e46 charger. similar output my ass

>There are also serious modifications done to some including custom fuel injection and turbocharging that has made these Hemi's get over the 400hp mark
you mean over the 700hp mark

>No slammed VT VX v8
fuck sake
But yeah most of our cars are pretty good

Just skip the E series and AU/BA Series too many issues

>Look at its rivals 6 cylinder engines
So your reasoning is it excelled in a bracket that no one else was interested in? Regardless;
>the 202 produced fuckall
Apart from over 250hp in race trim and the Bathurst victory the "Hemi" couldn't?
>There are also serious modifications done to some including custom fuel injection and turbocharging that has made these Hemi's get over the 400hp mark, its a decent engine
That's pretty mediocre out of a forced 4.3 litre, and is on par with a Cleveland/Chev with barely 240° of total duration.
Being the best Aussie six of the time is akin to being a Special Olympian. But atleast Holden had mainstage success with their Special Olympian.

>friendly reminder the 265 charger raped every other australian car available in some arbitrary performance measure no one else focused on
I was waiting for this counter argument. Shame the 4 speed E49 (let alone the E38 three speed joke) struggled to pull itself off the line with a tank full of fuel come race day.

>the xu1 made HALF THE POWER of an e46 charger. similar output my ass
[citation needed] mother fucker.

>n-no n-no, the acceleration of muscle cars is an irrelevant and arbitrary performance metric! lets look at modified race cars where the result is entirely dependent on the ability of the driver instead!
ass blasted holden fanboy detected

>[citation needed] mother fucker
160hp is half of 300hp :^)

>the car wasn't good! It fluked 500 miles of success against previous proven race winners
8/8 shitpost m8
>comparing the most basic model 202 offered against the race tuned 265
Care to keep on topic strawman?

>comparing the most basic model 202 offered
even the most powerful l6 available in the slow ass torana couldnt match the output of the e46
keep crying bitch nigga

And even the superior output of the "Hemi" didn't correlate to any race success what soever. And no, arbitrary magazine acceleration tests still aren't "race success".
>keep crying bitch nigga
I'm not the one crying :^)

>muh race success
i keep forgetting that how an individual driver performs in a modified race car is the sole measure of performance for a factory street car... oh wait

>slowass torana can barely muster to produce half the power of an e46 charger, as a result it has no chance of keeping up in a street race
>"b-b-but peter brock!!!"
>holden fanboys this ass blasted

i keep forgetting that how an individual car performs in a magazine test is the the sole measure of a performance enigine for a factory homologation street car... oh wait.
>"HEEEEEY CHARGER" gets swamped off the line struggling to get 35 gallons of fuel moving
>b-b-but it was up to the driver!
>Chrysler fanboys maintain their torsion bar suspended "superior Hemi six" didn't achieve success because "b-b-but peter brock!"
I aint even a Holden fanboy, but I find it amusing when Chrysler Aus fanboys cling to their special snowflake configuration.

The charger had a 3spd manual in Bathurst, if it did have a 4 speed it would've raped everything else

Only the E38 race car had the 3 speed. The E49 had a 4 speed. Try again.

australian cars huh

Making Foose proud.

I suppose that does make sense. Thank you.

calais in white are fucking mint

>Better looking than anything to ever come out of America

It's a pity Chrysler didn't hang about for longer. Imagine what a modern one would've been like if they made something to compete with the Barra straight six.

Yeah, we've lost a lot of manufacturers over the last 40 years.
Lot of it is economics and shithouse management sadly, rather than actual ability to compete.

>Imagine what a modern one would've been like if they made something to compete with the Barra straight six.
Well, Chrysler's current Pentastar already outperforms the Barra in all but turbo applications. So I guess a late model Valiant with the Global Chrysler six would be able to hang with an SV6 at least.

The kike unions stamped their feet and had a tantrum just so that it wouldn't enter the U.S. The rebadged Holdens were imported in the GFC and when they knew they were going to kill Holden anyway, the pontiac g8 and chevy ss were just meant to be quick cash grabs because they thought it wouldn't sell enough over here.

Prove me wrong. Unless you're talking about american cars

>rather than actual ability to compete.
Basically we priced ourself out of the market and red tape killed alot of it too

Mainly i blame america and gm ferd toyota global for fucking us over though

>Take billions in 'aid'
>piss it up the wall
>barely export anything
Waaa we cant compete
>sells up and moves offshore to korea with all our money
At least we might get relaxed import laws now

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE LS V8 REPLACEMENT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?