/domg/ - Dominions General

Awooo v2 Edition

Previous Pokeman Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Jump into MP feet first
>Do bully Elves

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>Do bully Weebs

First for anime is shit.

Reminder that Air is the best path of magic

I hate this op, but I appreciated that a new thread was made, at least.

Ghost removal is in progress and is going as expected. mind you he had about 35+ PD probably closer to 40

Please, remove Atlantis afterwards. He took my 2 UW provinces. And I spent MONEY on those UW mercs.

How about in 6 hours?

Threadly reminder that Asphodel needs to be scarier.

i dont like you because you delayed my meming of Thed by 2 turns by jacking my mercs in the first place but give me 1 gem and 69 gold and ill consider removing atlantis

I'd gladly give a qt mermaid 69

dunno, they seem to be plenty scary

Ok, pythium. I was impressed by the sage province, but you also have a mirror palace for a2s2 sorceresses and sorcerers of the sands? Any garnet amazons or conjurer's circles you wanna come clean on?

What are some good books to read while waiting for the next Dominions turn?

I heard this series is pretty good

The Bible.

Now that we've gotten one of the meme answers out of the way, all we need now is for someone to say "the manual" and we can start making real suggestions

Thus spoke Zarathustra

/domg/ has great memes

I'm not samefag

Malazan is great, yeah.

I can def rec Malazan (which actually contributed some inspiration to the game), and if you like that read Black Company

Sure thing senpai.

Wheel of Time

If you step back and look at it, Malazan basically reads exactly like a game of Dominions from the perspective of key mages and commanders.

I definitely recommend the Mistborn trilogy. Imagine a fantasy setting where the evil overlord won, and runs his empire, oppressing everyone.

Then you take a crew of magically-talented thieves that plan to pull the biggest heist in history on him.

*requires extreme patience to get past the middle part of the series and anything not focusing on the male characters

Would he 'get' he Throne of Irony?

These guys sound like the necronimicon of comedy. I feel incomplete now knowing that I'll never witness one of them doing stand up.

Well, sorta, but very close to it

I love it when mod creators imitate Illwinter's writing style in their unit descriptions.

It definitely does if the meta was different and some pretenders couldn't be fucked to have a nation. And accession is a kinda nearly unreachable goal for everyone so nobody is really trying to actively grab all the thronees

If marignon stales after bitching about people not taking their turns just 4 days ago, I'm going to die laughing.

The women are kinda shit. Best characters are Perrin and Mat

Maybe he died. Please do not make fun of dead people.

Let's have a moment of silence for the ded threads

No, they're shit too. Mats "military genius" is literally
>Crossbows

Was based on the author's GURPS campaign, if memory serves.

But yeah, it's pretty damn Dominions.

I gave up about book six, if memory serves.

The plot progression is logarithmic. Less happens every book. The first couple are great though, for definite.

I sent him 20 turn resends, just in case he didn't see the turn like that other guy who staled.

So I'll be in chat all day so the admins can get my email, also Fistful Admin I think we messed up somewhere along the way because I'm not getting turn resends.

It was a rules-lite story campaign between him and Esselmont, who also wrote some books in the same setting (and, honestly, which should be read alongside the main series in publication order to get the most out of it since otherwise they spoiler each other)

Who are you on Steam?

Malakal

Lambert

Serious or meme?

t. Malakal

Nobody in kichikuo has staled. He was resending to people before we even hit the 12 hour warning.

Lambert's TC

So
>Gods don't usually have nations
>Gods aren't trying to ascend or, generally speaking, kill o

There was a giant argument over whether he was punishing them for staling or stalling.

It was kinda hilarious.

When you're going to play a new nation for the first time, what kind of research do you do beforehand? Do you read all of their unit descriptions + stats or look up a rewritten guide? Do you decide what paths you're going to research before you start the game? What determines how high you make your pretender's paths?

Take a look at them in the inspector. Make a plan.

Run a couple expansion tests. If those are good enough to hit twelve provinces and a fort under construction by Year 2, it's good. Otherwise adjust the plan.

Made more so by the fact he was last for the previous turn, didn't double, and is about to be last again. He's literally doing the thing he was bitching about earlier this week.

>If those are good enough to hit twelve provinces and a fort under construction by Year 2, it's good
Not in an expansion test, no. Absolute minimum for a test where you won't be constrained by other players is 15.

I look at the inspector, look up the units in game to know what I start with, what I want to recruit and how expansion can go. I aim for 12-15 provinces on the first year plus a fort started in the summer of the first year, maybe two if I swim in gold. Depending on the nation I go for a bless, or paths to complement my mages with booster forging. Or just a plain scale build, but it depends, really. I basically know what my research is gonna be but it's subject to changes in game if I think of something else that could be better. I used to look at guides, but I don't anymore and try to come up with my own pretenders and strategies, even it if fails.

Optionally, ask about your strategy in thread, and then relentlessly samefag in order to put it down and call it stupid bullshit that will never work and will make your nation weaksauce and a total non-issue to counter.

Then diplomonster your way into owning multiple capitals while still being generally seen as a non-threat.

This assumes that everyone is too retarded to recognize a good strategy despite your false flagging. If this is true, they're shit anyway, and you didn't need to do it to win.

What an irony, isn't it? Now you know how much i suffered.

t. not marignon

I have a solid idea about general capabilities of almost all nations at this point so unless it's a new nation like Ys that I haven't played as or fought against, I start with the general idea about how I personally think they should be played. However, input from people who have played a nation already is always valuable so I'll look if there's any guides by reputable players and I'll ask around for recommendations.

If I wasn't decided from the start, at this point I should have picked the general game plan I want to employ (like monster scales vs imprisoned bless chassis). Then it's a matter of practising expansion (I typically use a map filled with highest difficulty AIs to better simulate the constraints faced in multiplayer) and in my strategic thinking powerful early game (not necessarily a rush, but the economy to power up research and have an option to rush) is crucial so my standards tend to be much higher than the 12 provinces during the first year. If I can't make it work, I'll take better scales or change the bless, if I still can't make it work, I'll go back to the drawing board because in my view the best midgame is good expansion.

When I have found an expansion strategy that works to my level of expectations, it's time to distribute the design points that weren't a necessity in achieving this early game success. Sometimes it's easy but sometimes I'll think very carefully about reliable options to bootstrap into some key endgame spells or ability to cast certain rituals with the pretender. Generally speaking I value reliability: for example, since EA Caelum doesn't have national astral mages to sitesearch, I place much lower value in ability to cast national astral summons than many other players would. Then it's again time to practise expansion tactics and get a general idea about the expected research timings, but that's the extent of what you can do in SP.

Generally speaking it's 1-5 hours depending on nation.

Stormlight Archives
It's basically when an enemy army that are stronger than humans goes up against kitted out thugs.

For the purposes of the turn order, does a province with a besieged fortress count as friendly territory or enemy territory?

To clarify, the fortress is friendly controlled and the besieging army is the enemy.

>complains about skeletons
>doesn't go F9 bless with 10 Dom and rushes purgatory
why is /domg/ so shit

>smug22.png
How many smugs do you have, user?

It's a sequel to the campaign. The original Smiley's Crew were the characters from the campaign, and the books explore what happens after Kellanved and Dancer hit epic levels and realising they aren't done yet.

Is the fort defense vs siege strength calculation done by adding the whole army's total unit strength together and then using the formula with the sum? Or do I use the formula for each individual unit's strength and THEN add them all together?

why is /you/ so weebshit

God I love memes.

Per unit.

Have fun making calculations. It's awful when you have a lot of different units types and the enemy too.

Never said they were good just the "best"

Weebs are the most powerful race in the world gaijin scum

You think that's bad? Roughly 75% of my units got hit by weaken, have another affliction that reduces strength, or both. And every damn one of them is diseased so I can't even use the select all units with afflictions key to separate them in a useful way.
I wish there was a way to select units based on more specific afflictions than just disease.

Prince of Nothing/Aspect-Emperor (or The Second Apocalypse as a whole) is the best fantasy series I've ever read.

Ermor begone!

Where do the Ermorians get their milk from?

Bandar, can I have a word? Because Ys has just changed hands, so want to clarify if you still want avenging against someone whom didn't kill you.

I'm not Malakal and I'm Trippical on steam.

fuck off steamshitter

Ah, Malakal's alternate account.

Sorry just trying to get these subs done I'm not really sorry.

If you get me meta ganked for this I swear to fucking god.

>I'm not really sorry.
Confirmed for being Malakal.

>modding
>accidentally fuck something up
>Asynja gets gas attack
>get massive boner

Why

enjoy your new fetish

>fart fetish

End yourself.

Post your smug folder

The besieging army controls the province and movement into/through it

Can anyone give me a summod MA Abysia pretender design?

Newish player and I'm bored of just making erf sneks for the nations I'm too stupid to make pretenders for.

Wait an hour and I gotchu

In general, though, you want a blood mage for alternative midgame options, and you'll be using your warlocks for abysian crossbreeding to supplement your armies.

>play crusader kings
>character dies, young late teens son takes over
>widowed mother seduces her son
>pop massive boner

Thanks senpai

But you cant seduce your children or siblings in CK2
ive tried

You sound insufficiently Zoroastrian

Mods, son.

I get the most shameful, incestuous boners from CKII.

why are necromancers so fun?

Because it makes scrubs cry about it here.

Was someone bitching in my name? Because I've said no such things, just got home from work so will be doing my turn soon.

bullshit, it was over 2 hours before I got the next turn and I was asleep by then.

Hey Hinnom, are you around? I'd like to talk in Steamchat if you are.