Here's a question for the US n/o/rthbros

Here's a question for the US n/o/rthbros.

Getting a job by the great lakes.

I drive a 2004 RSX Type S with Pilot Super Sports. Always lived in FL, never driven on snow. Getting ready to sell car due to mileage (150k).

What would be a good car for a snow noob like me?

Good reliability, good fun potential, 4 to 7 k $ range, and manual tran wouldn't hurt either.

WRX is too expensive for me atm, but an Outback or a Miata come to mind. Thoughts?

Any AWD with snow tires will be more than enough for winter driving, pick the one that suits you best.

How about winter chains? Isn't that a thing they use up north?

Just buy winter tires. Even cheapo ones will do the job.

Any car that isn't slammed or is a RWD with a welded diff on some acceptable winter tires should get you around with no trouble

Yes but your average driver rarely needs them

welded diff would be good in snow and ice

Best snow setup rite here
>FR layout
>Limited slip differential
>Really narrow snow tires
>Manual trans
>no abs or tcs

>>no abs or tcs

full retard

So last question from OP, wouldn't a FWD be more forgiving than a RWD? I mean my money would be on AWD, but if you had to choose between fwd or rwd?

No you fucking idiot, this isnt an episode of Ice Road Truckers

Not all that much for a daily driver. Sure, you won't have that one wheel spinning and digging in, but that ass will let go a hell of a lot sooner, which is not entirely recommendable for someone who has never seen more than an inch of snow

AWD = meme (exception: off road/climbing)
Stopping > going (all cars brake with all 4 tires)
Not AWD = less weight = shorter braking distance + better handling
All you really need is a good set of winters and salt/sand bags if RWD. Limited slip helps.

t. Rx7 daily for 3 years in Chicago winters

Yes FWD is easier to control in low-grip environments for an untrained (not professional) driver since you can regain grip by simply letting off the throttle.

It would. FWD always have the engine ontop of the driving wheels, which makes it so that you'll get more traction due to the increased weight. Its also "easier" for newcomers to recover from understeer than oversteer

If getting around and a forgiving ride was my concern; FWD over RWD

a set of winter tyres and common sense

holy shit you're not conquering mt everest

literally anything will be fine. my mom drives a fwd hyundai manual econobox and it's fine. just don't drive like an idiot.

lrn2drive

Why does everyone that has never driven in snow think they need fucking awd, 4wd, or snow tires? Just keep your car and don't drive like a fucking moron. They do have snow plows. You won't be going on an arctic excursion every time it snows. I drove a lowered 03 cavalier for 5 years in Northern Ohio and not once did I get stuck.

>Just buy winter tires. Even cheapo ones will do the job.
Yes, just get them on the right axle.

>RWD with a welded diff
>In snow
This sounds fun as fuck

Why not get snow tires and keep the rsx? Why are a faggot worried about mileage?

Wait till you see the rust tax mate.

You'll hate this state if you like cars. Lower Michigan winters aren't anything to worry about. Very seldom do they get hammered with snow.

In the UP, maybe a set of snow tires. But down there I wouldn't worry about it.

It is. It's fun with LSD too

He's just into sick skids.

yeah but you dont need them unless they don't plow your roads... and they make an ungodly amount of noise

RSX is fwd, you'll be fine.