/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

outdated edition
Previous thread
>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme
youtube.com/watch?v=6VfXNYJO8nI
pcinvasion.com/dwarf-fortress-interview-with-tarn-toady-adams
nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

damn thats a pretty good op picture

would you say it's... beyond quality?

Toady doesn't have any plans to fix up the typos, does he?

I have a dwarf with a fey mood, but hes just sitting in the meeting hall and not moving.

I checked his skills, and hes a legendary weaver so I built a loom, but still no dice - he just stands in the meeting hall.

I'm worried he might go mad soon.

build every moodable workshop ASAP.

he has, as well as adying abilities for each language, and having more complex and versatile communication
Not in the short term, unfortunately

Phew, finally. Turns out he wanted a tanner's workshop, which I have literally never built before in my entire Dwarf Fortress career

Dropping a spire into hell takes a while if you leave the ceiling intact to smash everyone on the way down.

I am a DWARF and I'm DIGGING a HOLE
DIGGY DIGGY hole
DIGGING a HOLE

>In a time before time a demon was helped by a god to start some shit
>That demon thrust a spire of slade up from hell and breached the surface
>In a time long after the time before time I decided I had enough of their shit
>Look upon my works, ye almighty, and tremble.

Damn you Shelley, making me want to survey the carnage rather than just cancel the collapse with another construction job.

Man, what a faggot.

>flip over to firefox, poke around
>flip back to df, queue up several more move actions
>flip back to firefox
Gotten too far along in the collapse to give up now!

Noob question here, How do I stop a dwarf from fishing?
I disabled Fishing in his labors. But this little bitch still ran away to some water.

Washing? Drinking?

You're not out of booze are you

I just started the game, disabled fishing and assigned him to mining. Designated some mining areas and unpaused, yet first thing he did is run away.

You do have a pick, yeah?

Are you sure he's equipped with one and not someone else?

But even if he isn't equipped with one, why wouldn't he just idle instead of run away? Or are dwarfs doing whatever they want part of the game?

No, in my experience the designated miners always take off and mine.

Well aren't you cute, wanna come stay with me? I got a nice spot up in the corner you can set up in.

>no pick
>no fishing allowed
>no other job

Well what do you expect him to do? Just stand in place and wait for you to learn how to play?

If he already had the fishing job queued up then he'll complete it before going to do anything else (or it gets cancelled for whatever reason). If you want you can manually cancel it by highlighting him in the [u]nits screen and pressing [x] (although I just tested it on a fisherdwarf myself and it seems you can't manually cancel fishing jobs. Still, you can typically cancel a job you don't want done by doing that. It's saved countless dwarves from trying to load cage traps I forgot to forbid during sieges in my forts.)

>never built a tanner's shop
Never had hunters before?

Yeah, that strikes me as weird too. I always used tanner and leather shops for my civilian squad gearsets to keep a minimum top/bottom/shoes on everyone between changes of rotting clothes.

Nope. I get by just fine on fishing, and I don't like my dwarfs wandering around - I like being able to build underground passages to walled-in fishing spots to make everything nice and secure.

If I have a tough seige, I can probably hold out for at least 2 years without any of my dwarfs leaving the secure areas of my fort.

He's probably just a df newfag. Pls don't bully them.

It builds character.

>asking a question
>bullying

I mean hey, if it works it works. Just struck me as odd.

Apparently it is possible to name your camp with an empty string.

>Can you tell me how to get to ?

>mechanic makes an artifact tetrahedrite mechanism
>it's the most valuable artifact in the fortress

You ever have one of those dwarves where you see their corpse and you just think, "How the fuck did they get there?"
He didn't fall, the ceiling is one tile above him.

It is also possible to name multiple camps with identical names.

Probably wandered in to move some crundle arm or something to your refuse stockpile and got chased up the tree by the dead crundle's friends. Happens all the time.

Is that the default tileset and what are those colored things, massive mushrooms? I haven't played since DF2012.

It's vanilla, but I changed the colors so that they were easier on the eyes.
Yeah, that's a huge, multi-tiled mushroom.

Sadly this is true.

What would make a better hammerer, an elf or a goblin?

I have both in my fortress thanks to the tavern and after my current regular hammerdwarf beat someone to death despite being weak I realized it's not going to cut it.

Well, who do you want delivering potentially fatal beatings, the sadist or the cannibal?

For science see if the elf will eat anyone they kill.

>43 citizens
>16 children

It won't matter. You need to make a really light hammer and ensure that it's the only one available for your hammerer to choose if you want people to survive hammerings. A weak guy beating you with a sledge hammer is still going to kill you.

Why the dwarfs don't pray to the player?

How do I ensure it's the only hammer available?

Put him in a room with it when I assign him the role?

Forbid/sell/destroy the rest that aren't already equipped. If he can't path to both the hammer and the person he wants to whack with it then the job will either not trigger at all or will cancel if it's already started.

[ ] run
[ ] hide

Hematite is so perfect
Find a flaw, I dare you

[x] tame

[x] genuflect

honestly just simply slaughtering your wagon animals is a much more common reason to have a tanner's workshop.

[x] furious masturbation

>not smelted into steel already

What is the purpose of encrusting ammo?

Don't slip on the gored bodyparts!

Wealth cheating mostly

There are iron ores that blow it out of the water.

This is going to be a fun necromancer army.

see Cut gems have a base value of 5. The highest tiers of Diamonds and the Star Sapphire and Star Ruby has a value of 60. This results in 300 value per cut 'rare' gem.
Ammo itself has a base value of 1 PER BOLT, meaning the majority of its value comes from its quality*material values. steel masterpiece bolts are 30*12 = 360. The usual stack of ammo is 25 per metal bar.
360*25= value of 9000 for a stack of masterpiece steel bolts

Now, encrust even a few rare gems with a value of 40 or greater, and the value just goes crazy.

Not that there's much point to this.

All my dwarves are fairly happy, there's no lack of anything in the fort, yet I keep getting infighting messages. One of my hammerlords just punched a farmer through the skull and killed him, so at this point I have to wonder if this just happens as forts age, or if I'm doing something wrong. I'm still pretty new.

Farmer shouldna talked shit.

How did you change your colors?

Finished this one finally!
I hope who ever requested this like 3 months ago sees this.
(if they do forgive me for how long this took.)

Truly a tragic tale.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Color_scheme

>based on a true story

The killer has a thought about giving out a punishment, so I imagine something along those lines. Does this just randomly happen past a certain population, like sieges? I've never had it happen before, but I've also never had a fort last this long.

What's the phase selector for when building a camp? The only thing it seems to do is to make work less efficient.

>Does this just randomly happen past a certain population, like sieges?
No. Tavern brawls are a thing, and they will sometimes turn deadly, but that's not what this is. If there's a thought about punishment, then the farmer broke a law (probably violated a mandate) and the soldier was applying the proper penalty.

construction sequence ordering, so your tower gets built one level at a time instead of mis-matched patchwork all over

Sinland? What a fucking rad name. RIP.

One of my favourite dwarfs just dropped dead of old age in my tavern...

Damn. For some reason I thought if you kept dwarves happy and didn't have a hammerer you wouldn't have to deal with the law side of things at all. Oh well, spices things up a little bit.

Yeah, only useful in limited situations really.

Do you feg kobolds think someone will try to buy the game off of the Adams senpai? I'm talking big ass company like Microsoft or EA level of total absorption.

They've already tried, and failed.
The toad won't budge.

I dont recall, any context so I can google it?

youtube.com/watch?v=6VfXNYJO8nI

Not him, but it was in an interview somewhere.

The captain of the guard and its squad is also responsible for the dispensation of justice. Beatings are administered by them and are a step down from hammerings, but both are often fatal. You can avoid most beatings by having chains or cages dedicated to your justice system.

I refrained from setting up a jail because I was told to make sure your dwarves don't forget to feed prisoners and have them die, you're supposed to set up small stockpiles of food and drink around them. Whenever I make a food stockpile away from my dining area, dwarves end up walking from as far as possible to eat at the new stockpile, so I don't bother with it anymore.

pcinvasion.com/dwarf-fortress-interview-with-tarn-toady-adams

AFAIK caged creatures can't die from thirst or hunger

Whoops. Ignore that. Wrong interview.

Here it is.

nytimes.com/2011/07/24/magazine/the-brilliance-of-dwarf-fortress.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

wtf i hate pcinvasion now

>obligatory

They can if they're members of your fort. Caged grazers will starve to death and caged citizens can both starve and dehydrate if they aren't tended to. Creatures that aren't members of your fort don't have to eat or drink whether they're caged or not.

That advice is way outdated, a workaround for a bug that was squashed years ago. Prisoners are fed and watered without issue.

> In the living room are two gray folding tables for playing board games like Arkham Horror and Descent, and a box of Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 games. Tarn said he seldom touches these because “most of them suck.”
Based Toad

Are there plans for events? Like funerals and marriages and victory parties..

Based Toad indeed.

kys

ump

Novice drawfag from the previous thread, some user wanted me to post some scenery so here goes.

It's a hillfort somewhat like my current fort, with a wooden hall on top and the extensive underground buried beneath.

Bit better than novice I'd say.

Is it even possible to clean-up a black and white artwork corrupted like this? you'd probably want to invest into a scanner if graphite pencils is your thing. Tree desk lamps won't cut it.

I mean, three.

>your stunted kind
>even though we may not always see each other eye to eye(ha!)
Why is elf racism towards dwarves accepted?