Subaru WRX REDPILL

Hey Veeky Forums,
I'm in serious need for a WRX redpill guys.
Legit thinking about buying one.
Someone save me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtry6Cn8pEA
youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First, there is a definite reason why the STI was 10k more expensive when new than the WRX and it wasn't just power. Just because they were both AWD sedans/hatchbacks powered by turbocharged flat 4's doesn't mean there weren't massive differences between them.

The WRX has ALWAYS been saddled with shit transmissions made of glass. For cost reasons, the WRX always shares its transmissions with the base model Imprezas, which aren't up to turbo duty. WRX's have a reputation for blowing transmissions as a result.
STI models got a bespoke 6 speed manual only which is fairly bulletproof. And it's not just the transmission that separates the WRX from the STI. The STI also has bespoke suspension that will not swap over. You would have to change EVERYTHING over and not just a part here or a a part there. The AWD system is also much more advanced on the STI. While the WRX has a permanent split in power front/rear, the STI is capable of sending all the power to whichever wheel/wheels has the most traction. So while the WRX always powers all 4 wheels with no deviation, the STI, under certain circumstances, is one wheel drive.

and the price gap when new also means something else: The WRX, despite not being as fast or as good handling, is more expensive to insure than an STI. Why? Because the WRX was cheaper. This means the WRX more quickly fell into the hands of teenagers who very quickly wrapped the fucker around a tree trying to be Ken Block.
By contrast, the STI was always bought by more mature enthusiasts due to being more expensive. So STI's don't seem as big a risk to accidents to insurance companies.

that is the best written post i have ever seen here

Is the transmission issue still present in the new model WRXs? They got a new 6 speed when Subaru dropped the Impreza name from the WRX/STi line.

Ty for informative post.

I wouldn't bet on it. They still use base model transmissions as evidenced by the automatic CVT option.

Seems about right except for insurance part. When i talked with my insurance company about insuring they said the sti would be more to insure than the regular wrx. Might just be my insurance company tho. Objectively good post otherwise, one of the best ive seen on Veeky Forums in a while

The current Imprezas got a 5 speed manual or the CVT. I wouldn't doubt that Subaru just pushed the CVT to the new WRXs, but it looks like the manual versions got a new transmission.

Time will tell how decent it is, but as long as the owner isn't launching it or creating other shock loads(or trying to be a hero by upping the HP to much) the transmission should last a while.

I pay 70 dollars a month for my 2016 WRX insurance, and I was quoted 160 for the STi. The current-gen WRX also has the six-speed from the STi.

As to differentials, the 50/50 torque split on the WRX is correct for front/back, but torque can still be further moved left/right after being split by the open diff in the center.

Nobody disputes that the WRX transmissions were made of glass compared to the STi ones from fifteen years ago, but provided OP is talking about new model ones, pretty much every automotive publication and reviewer will tell you to get the WRX.

My FA20 WRX makes more power to the wheels with just a downpipe and cat delete than a current STi, and it's not really close, either.

Nevermind, you're hopelessly misinformed and repeating ten-year-old memes.

The CVT in the new WRX is ported from the Forester XT, as is the FA20DIT. The current-gen WRX actually shares a lot more with the Forester XT than it does the Impreza.

I did not know that, thanks for the heads up. Personally, I'm not worried about the transmission in my 2016 WRX. I might think about power mods later on, but for now I doubt my transmission is going to grenade from a couple of highway pulls.

youtube.com/watch?v=jtry6Cn8pEA

Should've taken his own advice and got the WRX instead of the STi.

youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

I bought one, lots of fun on the gravel roads where i live

Also the STi has better brakes, makes power more reliably, has better lights, looks better, retains its resale value better,

Making more power reliably may not be the case anymore with the 2015+ models. The FA20DIT is showing to be quite powerful and still maintain it's reliability after modifications.

Also found this while I was underneath doing an oil change on my WRX, was really confused. What did Subaru mean by this stamp? I can't find a definitive answer.

And is not worth the extra 10k. You can do better upgrades for far less.

I couldn't tell you. The FA20DIT does not have forged internals, as far as I know.

>better looks
It's literally the same car, but with a big ass wing on the back and different badges.

No you can't.
See:
The exception being the 2014+ WRX which has a better engine (and that's it) than the STI

>better engine than the STI
Didn't they have the same engine until MY15? Now the WRX has the two liter FA engine while the STi retains the 2.5l EJ engine.

>open diff
yeah sure, to the wrong wheel