/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #568 - Classic Sonic Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c5fFT_KpBJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=rEM6zENiupo
youtu.be/JgG--74XExY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alright, I'm off to go and save pics to update the booru.

Post the 12 nigger gallons one

Actually I believe that's meant to be Anti Mina.

post some good Sonic remixes or mashups for me /sthg/

youtube.com/watch?v=c5fFT_KpBJ8

Silver and Gold. Will a character named Bronze eventually show up?

And what's up with Second Devourer? Does it have a connection to Time Eater? Or a connection to Sigma when he became a universe eater?

Closest we have is pic related. The Mario and Sonic/Riders series either have her in a dress-like top with trousers or a leotard, so they're no help.

>asks for the only one I don't have
sorry but this is the best I can do

Nah, they'll eventually encounter a miner, reindeer, and elf running from an abominable snowman.

the best
youtube.com/watch?v=rEM6zENiupo

>SRB2 been updated
"Wow I haven't played that in a while, why don't I-
>2 seconds in first level
Now i remember why I stopped playing this.

Thank you user.

casul

It'll take awhile. 30+ threads to go through.

dead

I got you, nigger.

That's crazy, how do you have so much patience? I thought you just downloaded everything as you went, kind of like the drawfag wall user grabs suggestions, and then upload that.

why did anons stop updating the booru in the first place?

According to the poll, artfags/original content in general are both the favorite and least favorite parts of this general.

So is Sonic tanner parts skin or fur?

fureskin

Is the user with the Gex plushie here?

when did they make Gex Plushies

Miku should have been in Worlds Unite.

What's she going to do? Sing Sigma to death?

That would have been interesting, actually. It would have been one of the only times where she would be given an actual character. I wonder what she would have been like?

youtu.be/JgG--74XExY

Hit 'im with a green onion.

Either that or she could channel some of that fucked up shit that goes on in those Vocaloid death metal songs.

Comedy Chimp and Fastidious Beaver got tons of panels and they were noncombatants, I'm sure Miku could have been used somehow.

She has kind of a personality in commercials, she's just kind of bland and inoffensive.

>Another e-celeb cashing in on the 'Sonic was never good' meme
E-celebs should just die and the world would be a better place.

>e-celeb
Don't care.

But SA2 really is bad. Not every criticism of a Sonic game is a meme.

Still doesnt show belly, its just her side

Those are comedy relief characters in a comedy comic based off of a comedy show. Miku just sings, and that's boring.

And this is breaking news...how? Everybody knows that SA2 is shit :^), so we don't need yet another e-celeb telling us shit we already know.

What, pray tell, is a better Sonic game?

Miku has no canon personality beyond "She likes green onions and vegetable juice." Therefore, in the right hands, she could actually be made funny and even a little sassy. I have faith that the comic writers would be able to make an interesting character out of her.

Your opinion on Freedom Planet?

SA1 for a start.

It's Sonic for girls.

Original Genesis trilogy, CD if you're into it (I'm personally not but it retains the strong core mechanics of the originals), Advance trilogy, Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure, Unleashed Project although the hub worlds in the original were pretty great, Generations, hopefully Sonic Mania and/or 2017.

Archive user here. I *do* download everything as I go, but the cleanup involved in sorting what I have saved between my laptop and phone makes it too time-consuming to update more often than I do. I can try to at least make updating the OC folder more efficient, though.

I listen to a podcast/video as I do it. It's still tedious, but it helps.

Not Sonic related. Also not very good

Really.

This is more fair, but let me remind you that being 2D doesn't automatically make a game better.

>Runs on Sonic Worlds

not a sonic game, so not to be discussed here.

>not a sonic game, so not to be discussed here.
can we get rid of the comic discussion then

I'm legitimately kind of sad that Freedom Planet 2 is adopting a less Sonic inspired style.

It took inspiration from Sonic, seeing as it began as a Sonic fangame, so I figured it was alright

Well shit. There goes the thread again. Any bets on how long this game/comic "discussion" is going to last?

hot damn

Yeah honestly.

SA1 has more varied music styles, the character arcs being seperated meant you could 'complete' the game as each character if and when you felt like it. If you only wanted to play speed stages you had the option, you didn't need to play through say a knuckles stage in order to unlock the next sonic stage. Or vice versa. It had and extra unlockable ending if you played through as everyone. Super Sonic wasn't the forced sonic ending like every 3d game to follow, it was closer to the optional unlock super sonic ending like S3+K.

I'm gonna try and subjective and not complain that SA2 brought about shadow which is one of my least favourite characters, but it reduced the stories down to two arcs, removed hub worlds which were at least interesting to navigate, and had NPCs and areas to explore and abilities to unlock etc.

I just felt that SA2 was a bit of a let down, it wasn't a bad game, neither SA1 or 2 are, I just think that 2 was a step in a bad direction, simplifying things and removing features.

Everyone whining that SA1 was shit because they had to play as big to unlock the super sonic ending are missing the point. Sure it was a bit frustrating to deal with bigs controls but if you really wanna 100% any game you gotta slog through some shit. Be glad it had an extra unlock ending.

I enjoy both SA1/2 but I'll play 1 more often even if it's just to complete sonics arc and play all speed stages.

nah i prefer a 3d sonic where i can see where im going and have an x or y axis rather than the classic games where they put dick level design and dick enemy placement to slow your speed but in adventure , 1 , 2 and heroes , you can speed up on a dime with spindash and homing attack and have a pretty free control when you move, but in sonic 1 2 and 3 you get some speed and are brought to an abrupt stop killing your flow

okay, let me restate.

Freedom Planet is a piece of media that does not contain any sonic of any form. It is not a licensed piece of sega merchandise featuring the character sonic the hedgehog, or any character that has appeared in a licensed sega game. It has no affiliation with sonic.

ie. Freedom Planet might be a perfectly acceptable game, but it's not a sonic game. Which this being Sonic general is the only qualifier for discussion here.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I don't think Axiom Verge should be discussed in a Metroid general or 20XX in a Mega Man general. Same applies here.

We should start new generals for indies like that so they can cultivate their own fanbases and stand on their own legs instead of being wedged into other generals and not getting the focus they deserve. With FP2 coming out would it have enough material now to warrant it's own general?

Bud, it began as a Sonic fangame and I thought it would've been alright to see what other Sonic fans thought of it

you don't have to restate anything I was shitposting because you made it to easy
You're better off with a /v/ thread m8

>I was shitposting

Yeah I shoulda figured. My bad for replying but it is pretty dead.

>I don't think Axiom Verge should be discussed in a Metroid general or 20XX in a Mega Man general
Why not?

Isn't the games what's most important by virtue of being a Veeky Forums /**videogame** generals/ thread?
I think discussion about games or gameplay imitating or closely resembling the franchise in question is more or equally important to discussion about miscellaneous media of said franchise.

>rather than the classic games where they put dick level design and dick enemy placement to slow your speed
i'm playing S3&k on my 3DS and I do not have this problem and I hear this version is scrunched

Because it's not the franchise in question. Axiom Verge plays like Metroid but it is not Metroid so it shouldn't be discussed in a Metroid general. FP doesn't even play like Sonic, is not a Sonic game, and does not contain Sonic in any capacity so it's not fit for a Sonic general

well mayb your just good at 2d sanic games guy

it's fine in context to the original games, like if you use the comparison as a launch point to discuss the actual sonic games.

But it nearly always ends up just people sperging out about the terrible VAing and overwrought level design and totally off topic shit, and people fight and it all goes to hell and threads are ruined consistently.

If the original question was along the lines of;

>What if anything did freedom planet improve on from the genesis mechanics?

Then sure. That's valid context for discussion. INB4 that exact question is asked. But it was just a super vague potential powder keg of

>Your opinion on Freedom Planet?

Which just means 'can we just talk about freedom planet' which will invariably lead to offstopic shitposting, even when the game is barely mentioned a good example case being right now.

To branch on this, if an user were to come in this thread and ask for suggestions on games that play like a Sonic game, those discussions would be shut down because they don't inherently revolve around Sonic?

In the end we play the games because we like the gameplay, so discussing similar gameplay in other media should be fine.

This sounds pretty close minded. At what point does something start and stop being explicitly said franchise? It's completely subjective.

You've got it wrong. Everything about Sonic Adventure immediately became "meh" once Sonic Adventure 2 came out, and it's for a very good reason: it improved upon all of the important aspects of its predecessor instead of wasting time on trivial features.

First of all, the aesthetic of Adventure was pretty terrible because it didn't develop any further from either "anime city" or "forgotten paradise", and frequently defaulted between the two with most characters. Adventure 2, while not exactly grounded in realism, explored a much wider variety of visual styles and atmospheric genres (it went to outer space for fucks' sake), and I consider them better in every aspect.

Second of all, just because the gameplay was simplified doesn't mean they ruined the formula. Having to steer each individual character through the same plot over and over was tedious, even as a kid who loved them all the same. Playing a new character every stage is beneficial to keeping your attention levels high so when things slow down, you don't lose as much interest. Besides, Sonic and Shadow's Adventure 2 stages alone trump pretty much every speed-based character in Adventure 1.

Finally, and I don't need to extrapolate on this one much, SA2's Chao Garden is leagues more interesting because it accents the game's replayability in a much smarter fashion.

obviously playing Sonic Generations made me good at the classic games

If it has the franchise's brand on it it can be discussed. You sound really desperate to validate off topic discussion

But I SA2. It's not great, but it was enjoyable in some parts.

>But it nearly always ends up just people
Not a compelling argument. You might as well say "I already discussed this so I deem it redundant to talk about" whereas other people might not have.

>which will invariably lead to offstopic shitposting
You're really holding these threads in a too high regard, if you ask me. Avoiding discussion out of fear for clashing opinions is just a defeatist attitude.

But you're not asking me so whatever.

dude just make a /v/ thread

ProJared has such a disgusting smug face.

>stop discussing what I don't want to discuss
Literally what I said in my first paragraph.

who are you going to discuss with if people are telling you to discuss elsewhere? yourself?

With people who choose to.

If you don't want to discuss something you don't need to announce it as if to berate people for invoking discourse.

What part of :^) do you not understand?

>berate people for invoking discourse
get over yourself

We'll have to agree to disagree here.

SA2 still made you play stages you may dislike to get to stages you like. I want to play a sonic game, not a roulette wheel of treasure hunting and mech stages before I get to play speed stages. It set a bad precedent which games like unleashed still kept.

SA1 was first so obviously I'm conceding the point that it had less locales and less refined gameplay. But it doesn't make SA2 the better game that it's sequel was grander in scope. They had a limited number of locations and instead of just giving us a sonic playthrough they stretched the game into 6 routes. And you didn't HAVE to play them all, they were optionals. SA2 forces you into those routes to complete the game, it's removing options which is never a good thing in a game.

I don't have a problem with keeping my attention on the game I'm playing so I don't mind doing a sonic route then a knuckles route in SA1, at least if I did get bored I could voluntarily switch between routes. If I got into the zone for speed stages and suddenly had to play a treasure hunting stage it was really jarring and for me that ruined SA2.

Now, before this general explodes into pieces, just imagine that Bump wanted to practice doing makeovers on Sage and she didn't bother showering afterwards.

I'm not the guy who wanted to talk about Freedom Planet, I just don't understand why people act which such vitriol towards others who just want to talk about their shitty thing, which in this case is relevant to Sonic on a basis other than characters and lore.

>act with* such

I'm drawing it anyways, fuck you

my nigga

It's unrelated and your going to get way better discussion out that game on /v/ then on this general.

Because when Freedom Planet was in development and after its released, /v/ was spammed to hell and back with "best Sonic game ever xD" so there's still a knee-jerk reaction to it.

Im sorry

/utg/ please go

we need more Sonic characters in sweaters

There are girls playing Sonic RIGHT NOW

>I don't think Axiom Verge should be discussed in a Metroid general or 20XX in a Mega Man general.

From >Discussion about Mega Man-esque games, Mighty No. 9, Azure Striker Gunvolt, Red Ash and Inafune is also welcome.

It doesn't directly mention 20XX but I think it's implied that it's allowed.
Is discussion moderated in these threads? Is there a rule in the OP against talking about Sonic-esque games?

Maybe it's the opinion of the majority but it literally doesn't hurt or take away from other people's discussions to talk about Freedom Planet or any other Sonic-esque game.

It's Sonic-esque so I consider it related.

That's an excuse to shun visitors of this thread?
Because people shitposted about a game on /v/ 2 years ago?