So Veeky Forums what is the most expensive part you ever had to replace on your car or truck?

So Veeky Forums what is the most expensive part you ever had to replace on your car or truck?

For me its a Fuel injection pump on a 6.5 diesel.

oil filter housing gasket, (connects to back fo engine, was leaking)

cheap part, over 600 dollars in labor from my indie mechanic.

almost the whole top of the engine had to come out to replace it.

audi ownership is great until the car turns 10.

That sounds fun. Im at 1k just for that part. And i still need to pay someone to put it in.

i've heard a lot of horror stories about powerstrokes and cummins diesels

i'd love to own a powerstroke lariat but shit like that scares me

a friend of mine owns one, told me its been sitting in the dealership since december.

A fairing for my Ninja 250 about 110 dollars. It was broken and I had to repair it, too.

The 6.5 is a Detroit Diesel. Mine is a 00 the last year before they went to the Duramax. Only thing that still uses this engine in the Military H1.

J U S T
U
S
T

What am i looking at?

Electric battery pack on my hand-me-down Camry Hybrid.

Dad gave it to me around 250k miles, when the battery pack shit the bed. Cost $4000 to replace only a month after I got it.

Recently I hit 505k miles and everything failed within weeks of one another. Electric motor failed, brake actuators failed, battery pack failed again, and one of the cylinders started knocking. I'm selling it as a rolling chassis and just buying a new car at this point.

shift forks, pray you never see them in person while fixing your car.

>$4000
Fuck i just would have bought another car.

ok?

>500k miles
Impressive.

Ausfaggot who can relate.
Most expensive part I've ever had to replace was an exchange fuel injection pump for a Toyota 1HZ.
Started leaking not long after Ausfailure land started introducing low sulfur diesel. Other than that little outlay though, it was a damn rock solid engine.

Transmission. $1,000.

Well, at the time the car was only a couple years old. My dad put a lot of miles on it in a very short time, and gave it to me as my first. It took about 4 years of constant driving and road trips to match his mileage.

Overall, the $4000 part wasn't bad for a car that lasted me 255k miles.

Yeah, I was surprised especially sincemy dad trashed the thing. I was more impressed on how everything ended up breaking all at once.

Still for me if i saw it would cost me 4k to fix i would have went out i got another car. My truck is about 200k now.

Turbo, $700, though it wasn't a replacement it was an upgrade. Clutch is second place at $600, which was an upgrade/replacement because the old one was shit

Cummins are bulletproof your anecdotes are pure fiction. Faggit.

>german car
>tiny o ring takes 5 hours to replace
Sounds about right. German memegineering at its finest, let me know when they go back to building cars properly

Slush box, 2003 corrola.

This car made me stop believing in the TOYOTA CANNOT BE KILL meme.

Cummins are fucking bullet proof. Power stroke IDK, but i have yet to hear anything bad about it.

>audi ownership is great until the car leaves warranty
F T F Y

Quit drinking the kool-aid.

Look up the valve dropping issue. Get the engine hot once and it's done.

>Get the engine hot once and it's done.
nigger do you not realize diesels like to run hot?
Why do you think people have to idle diesels in the winter?

>operating temperature = hot
Protip; just because it's hot to your hand doesn't mean it's hot for the engine.

Diesels generally run 180-200 degrees, much more if towing.

I've never had a gasoline car go above 180.

There's a reason why semi's use grill-masks in the winter.

A head gasket
when if failed it broke everything baring the crank shaft or throwing a rod

you're stupid. some gasoline engines are designed to run up to 220

>some gasoline engines are designed to run up to 220
Okay, go ahead but you should google why so many air cooled cars have leaky head gaskets.

???? Clearly never seen a Jeep 4.0 or 4.7.

A Chrysler engine running hot?
Wow

That isn't "hot" 210-220 is a normal operating temperature.

Chrysler isn't even the only manufacturer to make vehicles that run 210-220 degrees.

180 degrees is just a very bold statement. Even the Miata will run up and around 210 degrees.

yeah running """"hot"""" is normal for factory cars because efficiency/emissions
though for power you want around 75C (~170 F)

>Even the Miata will run up and around 210 degrees.
It should be 188-195, wash out your radiator.

Anyway we're off topic. Diesels run hotter than gas engines. deal w/it, they will idle cooler and in the winter they can even be hard to keep running becos...Diesel fuel likes to be warm.

>you had to replace

Kek, that means you, not your mechanic you pleb

I did a whole suspension/swaybar/bushing upgrade in one week. and brakes, and pads, and rebuilt my calipers. painted, underbody coating,

Like $1,800 in parts, and a solid 4 days of labor.