Transverse front-engine front-wheel drive

>Transverse front-engine front-wheel drive

Why did the whole auto industry get memed on this hard?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NgS93jelnzo
youtube.com/watch?v=57JVPbXXVW0
youtube.com/watch?v=wOJR5NMuxRo
youtu.be/UFx7VclNYDo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because it's cheap and efficient

My ff can beat what you drive

Cheap to manufacture and leaves more cabin space, which makes it ideal for A to B commuters.
Not everything has to be a drift missile or track monster, and for anyone who wants actual performance there's always FR, MR or AWD.

Subtle b8

Are you retarded? He's not wrong at all.

>drift missile
Civic
>track monster
Civic!

He's objectively wrong. But subjectively correct.

I don't mean to to be snide, but there is a "practical majority" out that doesn't give a shit about being DORIFTU KINGU WA~! or pulling up next to people at spotlights and regaling them with tales about how they live their lives a quarter mile at a time, and are perfectly satisfied with any box on wheels that moves from A to B reliably and cheaply.

Transverse FWD provides a very cheap (labor and design) solution and this is why it became dominant after the mid 70s and still is today.

Baitu

How? Transverse FF is the cheapest drivetrain arrangement out there for a reason.

Faggot-u

You imply ff has no performance capability

I really didn't mean to but i can see how one can sense that. I only framed the matter in terms of FR performance vs FF utility only because gayl/o/rds everywhere think that all cars in production should be FR track-ready monsters.

>DORIFTU KINGU WA~!
Doriftu kingu wa - nani?

Are you saying FF track ready monsters can never exist

Hello torquesteer my old friend

this

>mfw a 100fwkw corolla had torque steer so bad with TCS off the engine had a hard cut built in to stop the front wheels from spinning out

I don't think he is, just that a non-FWD car is more likely to be one and will be better for the task

Fwd performance wise, extremely stable. Try and powerslide/turn a civic or your mom's minivan or a focus or something.

It plows through gravel like it's eet asphalt, a stang or challenger will wallow and roost everywhere and slide into a ditch and catch fire.

Rwd is shitty. What is the benefit of rwd?

>Swahili speakers on my Veeky Forums

Tafhadhali toka hapa na uende pahali pengine. I was speaking mock japanese in that post and not that Kenyan meme language.

>drifting
>civic
Stop.

>that desperate FWD defense force ITT

supreme wew la

The answer is this:
Coupled with this:
>FF track ready monsters can never exist
>ff has no performance capability

FWD not only is cheap to produce, when you accelerate it induces understeer, making it easy to drive (If the rear goes lose, just accelerate).

In some countries the car being FWD was heavily marketed, due to the stability and safety (a.k.a. Understeer).

>Weighs about the same
>more power
>Front wheel drive, thus better control
>rear independent

Everything seems to be in order hear.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=NgS93jelnzo
Never give up on your dreams

Fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=57JVPbXXVW0

youtube.com/watch?v=wOJR5NMuxRo

I don't think you understand what understeer means

Yet fags here argue about muh performance rwd but in reality they just ride buses

You can't dump the clutch and kick the ass end out, where's the fun?

On a strictly inherent bases. RWD does offer better performance. Cos muh spread weight.

But since REAL LIFE isn't strictly that, the performance depends vehicle to vehicle.

That said, RWDs are just plain old more fun.

Kinda like how modern auto trannies are better than any manual (in speed and efficiency) and yet people prefer manual. It's about fun sometimes.

Extremely stable right into the wall you understeering cuckold

Post your car, faggot.

youtu.be/UFx7VclNYDo

Dumb.

But fun

>100fwkw
Just use HP and TQ. You can use KM and all that shit, but good damnit you'll post in HP on this board you yurofaggot.

Cheap and easy to produce is one advantage. But so is all-weather functions and rumblings.

And even if you stumble a little...

...practice makes perfect.

And the legacy left behind by that decision is undeniable.

Front-engine, front-wheel drive? Sure, it's tougher to work with, but it has as much potential and capability as any other drivetrain layout, just in its own way. There's no reason to hate on something just because it's different from what you like.

We all know FF is inferior to FR, it's not really up for debate.
There are good FF cars and there are good FR cars.
There are bad FF and bad FR.
But just because one FF beat and FR doesn't mean FF is better than FR, it means that FF is better than that FR.
When all things are equal, FR is the superior format and we all know it.

Thats fucking stupid.
nice double think user

Damage control

You rwd fags are pathetic. Really

I drive FWD and RWD tho
>not owning many different types of cars
Do you even Veeky Forums?

Your mom is not a car but shes called the 'the town ride'

Well considering that layout is inherently flawed,
Yes.
0-60's in an FF below 5.5 seconds are so rare.
And they've got power that if put in an FR would easily beat their times anyway.
It's shit for cornering, shit for braking, and shit for accelerating.
Just because you can engineer out some of the problem doesn't mean it's not a bad layout.
You can get a prosthetic leg and walk fairly normally, that doesn't mean it's the bees fucking knees.

>And they've got power that if put in an FR would easily beat their times anyway.

>20 hp difference
>Clearly insanely different gearing
>Around a small track, not a 0-60.

DC2 ICR aren't to be fucked with.

Are you retarded?

As somebody who has driven a FWD with 190fwkw, this isn't anywhere near as much of a concern as people make it out to be.
Just don't be a soft cunt

>93% the power to weight
>97% the time
That's showing the miata out performing it by 4%.
Also in low power applications the differences are not as apparent.
You can put a go kart on the same track and destroy both their times.
Cherry picking is cherry picking.

That's absurd. How can someone be this brain dead? The only thing that matters to you are 0-60 times and whether or not something is RWD? jesus fucking christ man
It's so fucking sad to be this ignorant of cars while being so close to them

I didn't mention track times in my first post.
I mentioned 0-60 times.
Low speed acceleration is a big downside for performance FWD.
Either way the RWD over came its disadvantages on your cherry picked post.
Even though you chose a tiny track, with low power cars.

What do you expect from somebody who ran 15s with a 600rwhp+ LS?

What are you talking about? I never said or did any of that?

>damage control
Just put your trip off, you know nothing about cars, heck i think you dont know anything about anything

There's no Damage control.
RWD is superior to FWD.
This isn't in question outside of Veeky Forums.

Yeah right. How embarassing

>justifying how miata lost
>not damage control
Lmao, put your trip off. Your mother is right, you're a failure

o k

You'd think it would be obvious from the fact that there's never been a fwd supercar or motorsport car. inb4 nissan they abandoned it because it sucked and it had rwd anyway.

fwd fanboys are just delusional if they think ff is an advantage.

> Front engine
Saves cabin space for people, puts weight on the steering wheels, no pendulum effect in corners.

> Transverse engine
The front can be shorter, requiring less metal. Also, the output from the engine is used more efficiently because it's turning the same way as the wheels.

> FWD
The engine's up the front, why not just drive the front wheels?
All the mechanicals are contained neatly at the front end of the car, and it doesn't penetrate the cabin other than for the steering and pedals. No driveshaft under the floor!
FWD also has the engine's weight over the drive wheels, and power in the direction the front wheels are pulling. This allows for lighter cars overall, and for more forgiving handling. Oversteer? Step on the gas again. Understeer? Braking gives you more grip. Stopping? Engine braking is more effective.

For 99% of motorists, it's just fine. Why do you think the Fiesta is the most popular car in the west? It's small, it's cheap, it's got plenty of room, and it handles well.

>All this FWD Veeky Forumstist asshurt
It really belies your insecurity when you assume any statement about the economy advantages of the FF layout is also an insinuation that FF has no performance potential.

FWD can be fun. FWD can even be respectably fast. Outside of a few specific circumstances and niche applications, however, FWD is not competitive. There are almost always inherent grip and handling limitations that will end up hindering FWD compared to RWD or AWD.

because it makes the aftermarket better for people who like these

so many possibilities thanks to our cool-engine-in-shitbox lords at GM.

Holy fuck kill yourself immediately

This, the last time someone tried to employ FWD in a high performance scenario, it was a disaster.

what kinda fucky power measurement is that. what kind of shithole do you live in.

It's pretty ironic that fwd fanboy call other people bench racer, while they say "fwd can drift bro" "burnout on fwd yo" *inhale vape* "fwd best race car layout bro" *sips monster drink*

I mean, Watts are a more organized and consistent unit for power measurement, and in many Euro and Asian nations are used as commonly as HP. Though when it comes to cars and ICEs we really should stick to using HP in respect for tradition and culture.

t. Electrical Engineering student