youtube.com/watch?v=9qdFB_TGc9E
youtube.com/watch?v=j2LattuIhnA
youtube.com/watch?v=z5YU8VTbJSk
youtube.com/watch?v=3JTlfbqLzG8
youtube.com/watch?v=7RvLyYqgGqU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

maybe if you're racing a shitty prelude

Depending on surface, yes.
Sage for shitcunt thread full of shitcunts, including myself.

drift is only necessary when you don't know the line or if leafs and gravel are on the apex and exit points
>you see but you do not observe

All other things being equal, no. Drifting is slow.
If the surface is shit, then you can't get grip anyways. It's still better to maximize grip.

On bitumen? Yes but no human could do it consistently and it's harder on the tires.

Grip > drift

Technically yes. Drifting is the PREFERRED method of racing.

However what im referring to is actually Slip Angle, and off the top of my head the most you want is about 5 or 6 degrees or slip to take corners faster.

So, Yes, drifting will beat grip, by the logic explained above.

Using Intital D drifting or D1GP angles? No, it will be slower.

Also hairpin corners that a car literally cannot take in 1 normal turn (ie a corner that is too sharp.) Same concept as a doughnut in a rwd car, you can make a turn using smaller available space.

peter brock did a lot of small drifts

maximum grip is around 15 degrees of slip andle

ahh way more than i thought! Just read the F1 guide.

For race and high performance tires this optimum slip angle is around 6 to 10 degrees while this number is a little lower for street tires.

formula1-dictionary.net/slip_angle.html

peter brock was a fucking legend.

>about 5 or 6 degrees
>15 degrees
Depends on the tire, doesn't it?

This. All other things being equal, a corner drifted around will be taken faster than a corner gripped around but even for the most expert drivers the risk statistically outweighs the reward.

yeah

kek
>tfw Brockumi's downhill run
youtube.com/watch?v=SWOq94g2HB0

slip angle is entirely dependant on tyre, correct.

but we can safely say that greater than 0 degrees slip angle is preferable to no slip angle at all.

within reason. small and sharp will suit drifting, long and constant will suit grip better (Unless of course you can maintain some ridiculous speed(.

>BROCKUMIIII!!!

Why didn't he just vomit on his shirt and in his car? He could just have the car interior cleaned thoroughly afterwards.

because FWD sucks

only if the drift car has 200 more HP

What did you mean by this? The s2000 is RWD

so you agree that FWD is inferior?

> 0 degrees slip angle is preferable to no slip angle at al
car wouldn't turn at all with 0 degrees

>Why didn't he just vomit on his shirt and in his car?
He was old and not dedicated enough, that's one of the messages conveyed in the episodes.
Old people are more skilled but not risking enough like young folks.

so basically according to intiial d
>rwd is king
>after age 25 its over just give up on being into cars
>drifting is faster
no wonder the Japanese kill themselves

giding's me
He couldn't have reached that kind of skill at that age if wasn't dedicated enough

Ohh I don't know m8:do those racers on tracks with the record times drift?

>rwd is king
Well, the Tofu shop father still drives an AWD and is depicted as the most skilled guy in the series. Also the Subaru becomes the daily driver of Takumi - so AWD is king

>after age 25 its over just give up on being into cars
The problem with old age is thinking about safety concerns. If you still go all out, only your biological condition will inhibit you.

>drifting is faster
They only drift on the downhill races

>He couldn't have reached that kind of skill at that age if wasn't dedicated enough
He wasn't dedicated enough to win this one race. Otherwise he'd just vomit through the side window (or maybe not because open windows make you slower)

so you're saying FWD can't compete?
>defending initial d

>so you're saying FWD can't compete?
FWD can't compete by design.
The slip angle was already mentioned - FWDs' slip angle is always huge when trying to go fast around the corners.
This makes understeering more likely.

>defending initial d
It's pretty well done and introduces pretty advanced racing techniques in the last two stages

>Unless of course you can maintain some ridiculous speed
Exactly - The more gradual the corner, the greater the risk/reward benefit becomes but hypothetically if the driver had perfect skill, could perfectly calculate all the insane variables involved in drifting and execute it properly then drifting is faster than gripping.

>Spend hundreds of hours as a kid in Gran Turismo 2
>Build 1200hp Viper
>Throw it around every course
>lolno vehicle damage, just restart race if I wipe out bad enough to fall behind
>awesome feelings of dominating supercars who always stick to their apex lines

>Be adult
>Buy 300+hp fox body
>Be fucking with some boyracer in a civic
>Destroy him at launch
>Come to mild 30-40 degree right corner
>He's moving to get on the inside
>Fuck it this road is wide and empty with good visibility
>Downshift
>Slide, come out of the corner ahead of him and leave him behind
>Feels good but in that "wow I didn't die" way

Dangerous!

Slip angle of the tires isn't actually equal to yaw angle of the car. You can have significantly higher slip angles than yaw angle.

>smoking out of the exhaust
>not cucked by ecofags
glorious

>FWD can't compete by design.
in some rallye stages fwd get better times than both AWD and FR.

>hurr durr slip angle
Shut the fuck up with your retarded 12 y.o. initial d shit.
Grip will always be faster than drift.
Doesn't matter if the turn is grippy or not, because guess what? You actually need functional grip to drift, you fucking dips. Otherwise you would just spin into a fucking ditch.

That's exactly why every type of tarmac racing uses grip, doesn't use drift. And that's exactly why pro drivers say drift is a waste of fucking time.

at lest one does no choose to drift

this is b8

>FWD can't compete by design.
Turbo Cobalt SS beat a Lancer Evo

stay mad

You're a retard. Some types of corners are faster if the car is unstable for a small period of time. You can see this in even the highest level of racing like Formula 1. Of course, drifting every corner is retarded and just people showing off but the core concept is worth understanding.

youtube.com/watch?v=9qdFB_TGc9E

Proof that FWD sucks.

Look at those comments

>Some types of corners are faster if the car is unstable for a small period of time. You can see this in even the highest level of racing like Formula 1.
???
Losing grip even by a fraction of a second in F1 is almost certain to end in a spin/crash.

Rally drivers slide some blind corners because they have the advantage of pulling hard on the exit thanks to the awd system. Nothing else.
And not even all of them do it, the best drivers (Loeb comes to mind) have the cleanest grip lines ever seen even on gravel.

>Proof that Civic sucks.
FTFY

word is that dude from hot lap did this

Depends on the cars. You need total grip with stuff like formula 1.

With regular cars, its hard to say. Your question is tough because you're proposing a total drift run and a total grip run. Ideally a driver has a setup where they can grip through corners, but on really tight turns you might still prefer to drift through instead of either slowing down too much to maintain traction or risking a tight turn and understeering off the road.

The kind of stuff that japs cream themselves over isn't optimal for racing, but drifting does still have a place in racing, just for certain situations.

In regards to your question though, if you had to do a race either with total grip or drifting through every corner, one or the other and no mixing, then the grip run would win. You want to grip more than you want to drift, unless every fucking turn is a hairpin.

>he hasn't seen four-wheel drifts in formula one
They're more common than you'd think.

never, otherwise we'd see f1 cars drift the whole course

Yes, see:that guy shitposting about ek9 tsukuba lap times

For race and high performance tires this optimum slip angle is around 6 to 10 degrees while this number is a little lower for street tires.

formula1-dictionary.net/slip_angle.html

Tokyo Drift and D1GP drifting is slower than grip.

Drifting is just having seither the rear wheels sliding, vor having all 4 wheels sliding.

This is used offen in racing and is exactly what a slip angle is referring to.

As points out, slip angle is not referring to the actual angle the car is at, bit the degree of slippage that the tyres undertake. And considering in the strictest oft terms that 'drifting is when the rear tyres lose traction and the rear begins to rotate Howards the Front' then yes, drifting is the fastest method.

But just asking 'grip or drift: which is better' is a baut question because AS this thread has Bern discussing, there are other variables to consider.

i literally depends where you're racing
there's a reason why on rally they drift while on track they dont. why a downhill race is mostly drifting

Wouldn't the extremely short wheel base help mitigate alot of the under steer problems?

post some videos of it then

Didn't Mythbusters prove that drift is slower?

People like Bunta and Kurosawa Motoharu will always be a crazy motherfucker when they are holding the steering wheel

user anime isn't real.

Mythbusters has never proven anything

It depends on alot of things eg. Surface, drivetrain, setup, understeer, oversteer, skill set, etc but most rally drivers and street racers tend to use a combination of both. But to answer your question you need to be more specific.

Grip car will have lead in the beginning, then the drift car will catch up.

i was able to get my fastest times sliding most corners in assetto corsa so my professional opinion is that drifting is faster than pure grip

youtube.com/watch?v=j2LattuIhnA
>RWD

youtube.com/watch?v=z5YU8VTbJSk

Literally gets the fastest lap time doing it too.

youtube.com/watch?v=3JTlfbqLzG8

Hektik Ferrari Drift

youtube.com/watch?v=7RvLyYqgGqU

Hektik wet skids

>Kurosawa Motoharu is animu
Kek

No, never. Whoever tells you otherwise it's full of shit.

>professional
Nope

>driving a fucking australian opel

>stock ek9 versus finely tuned ae86
>hurr durr fwd sucks
oh boy

Only if RWD vs FWD

Okay lads, I've spend a whole day racing in Forza (because lol simulation) and tried to get best times with different car layouts.

I could drive comparable times with FWD but the driving was really awkward and no fun. Always on the verge to understeer which will most often send you off the track. Might as well race with a dildo in the ass because that's how FF racing feels like.

Mid engine layout was the superior design, very agile and best to do the just the right amount of drifting - no Tokyo drift shit.

AWD is a meme for schoolboys who can't drive for shit. You basically throw the car into the corner and hope for the best. If you're lucky, you'll get pretty decent laptimes though. Need for Speed tier of driving. Put NOS on all AWD meme cars.

FR layout can perform decently if the car is balanced but in most cases it isn't. Would not recommend.

That's called Power-sliding, technically drifting, but I wouldn't call it drifting.

OP you need to powerslide a little but (As explained by the guy I linked) the fastest way around a corner is the back end spinning faster than the front end, but not by much or enough to call it a drift. Look t any professional race series and you can tell the back end (In RWD cars) will be a bit "out" but they will still hold grip.

Depends on how many turns and what kind of turns

Come on now

God damn that looks sexy.

superior rwd

Fuck off Corey