Which should I go for: a supercharger or turbo for my mustang gt. It's the 4.6 modular v8...

Which should I go for: a supercharger or turbo for my mustang gt. It's the 4.6 modular v8. I don't really have any plans for changing the internals from the cast ones at the moment so I don't really intend to go beyond 8 psi of boost and 500 rwhp.

That being said which would you guys recommend and then were there any particularly good brands? I have an idea but I wanted other opinions

Supercharger unless you're a fag.

Or 5.0 swap.

Supercharger but get a proper twin screw or roots supercharger instead of a procharger.

I'm not gonna be swapping out the engine either. But I appreciate the input on the choices

Yeah I just posted the pic for attn but if I went with a SC I would get a twin screw roush or vortec

You're on the right track.

Definitely a good idea, great sound, very good low-mid range power and no lag. Your only problem is parasitic loss which decreases MPG but if you have a V8 mustang who gives a damn about fuel consumption.

8 psi is 500 hp?
um not on a 2v

Get a Saleen, Whipple, or Eaton. Also get big, beefy fuel injectors

That's a thing that I thought about. The turbo makes better use of the waste gases but I'm already in a gas guzzler so Yeah. What's the mpg drop gonna be like? I get like 320 to a tank right now

Fuel consumption will increase but it won't be that drastic. You probably won't have to put your foot down as much if you do get a proper supercharger setup because of the low end torque so you might end up gettin the same MPG.

Those were the limits that I was not trying to pass, not directly correlated to each other. I listed those figures cuz that's generally accepted as the no worries limits for the cast internals. Also I believe the 4.6 in the mustang gt is a 3v.

you might get 400 hp with 8 psi with the 2v

The roush comes with it all. Price is slightly under 5700 on American muscle.

well you can get more whp with a turbo on 8 psi compared to a supercharger

use nissan r35 gtr injectors, you can pick them up used for cheap and they are very advanced

>very good low-mid range power and no lag.
This is why a supercharger appeals to me. It seems with a turbo you have to mash the throttle and get to high RPMs to see any performance increase. That's all good if you're trying to race but what if you want extra power to simply get to the powerband quickly?

modern turbos, espacially small ones like op wants, do that too

And a broader powerband to boot.
Although it depends if instant throttle response is desired or not, but that's literally the only shortfall of a turbocharger.

Oh okay.

that really depends on the turbo in question. the one in my car really runs out of steam after 5k rpm

you have to rev any v8 to get power out of it though. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. op, redline that thing every day. its not bad for it.

i always liked the feeling of a lumpy cammed v8 getting into its power groove.

This.
If both turbo and supercharger are appropriately matched, the turbo will have a better midrange powerband. The only shortfall is of idle pressure, but then if that's an issue, you're probably driving around 35mph in top gear like a retard.

>It's the 4.6 modular v8
Yeah m8, the problem with that engine is it can't fucking breathe anyway.

I guess you never want performance then.

> It seems with a turbo you have to mash the throttle and get to high RPMs to see any performance increase
Only if you have a turbine housing that's greater in displacement than the motor that's driving it.

you do know that its better for a non built engine to build boost at higher rpm? less stress in the internals.

at low rpm there can be a lot more cylinder pressure than it was meant for, so its wise for you to rev it up

A supercharger is generally easier to set up, lower maintenance and depending how you've designed it more 'street friendly' but a turbo will give you better power.

>you have to rev any v8 to get power out of it though.
Really? Sorry, I'm not much of a gearhead, but afaik the powerband in my I4 is between 2-3000RPM. I figured that's because after 3000RPMs I stop getting acceleration as quickly in a gear.

So in a V6 is it 3-4000RPM and a V8 more like 4-5000RPM?

thats not how taht works, its different for every engine

oh my god you have a diesel
i am so sorry

for those of us with normal engines, rpms mean more air=more power

This, engines are tuned for a specific rpm range.

more linear than instant

>Spending money trying to improve a 4.6

Oh

Nah it's a gasoline engine. It's just in gear 1 I notice I stop accelerating much after 2000RPMs and in 2nd gear around 3000RPMs. 3rd-5th Gear are more like 3-5000 RPMs

your engine is tuned for different power curves in every gear?

The only way to know where your engine makes its power is to look at a dyno chart, every engine is different especially with exhaust/cam/intake/ignition changes.

FYI most stock cares start properly building power at 50% redline

That's what it feels like but I know it's probably not true. I've looked for "powerband of my engine" and all I get is max hp and lb-ft of torque.

2.2l Ecotec

Is there anything additional that's suggested outside of what's included here? I saw someone mention injectors and that's covered in that kit.

> I've looked for "powerband of my engine"
baka ass motherfucker

search for stock 2.2 ecotec dyno graph

>Less power unless you're a fag

He's already a fucking faggot for driving a 234hp V8, might as well go the whole way.

Enjoy getting beat by a Civic however.

Found it

I'd say the opposite.
A supercharger requires more maintenance than a turbocharger, and a turbocharger is more "street friendly" in the sense it builds boost as you command it via throttle, as opposed to being RPM dependent.

Well stock it has 320 ponies at the crank. When I dynod it bone stock before I put my Cai, headers, X pipe, exhaust, and tune I have 294 to the wheels. So you're already wrong there. Good try though.

That's a pretty decent torque curve.
Mathematically you should be getting more or less constant acceleration throughout the rev range.
140hp isn't a lot though, and if your car is geared long it might feel sluggish nonetheless.

I say street friendly as better response off any given throttle and rpm. A turbo definitely degrades your oil faster but I haven't personally owned a turbo car so I can't say for sure that the turbo itself will wear more (from high temperatures).

>Mathematically you should be getting more or less constant acceleration throughout the rev range.
That explains why acceleration from third even up to 50mph feels so smooth then.

>140hp
>geared long might feel sluggish
It certainly does in first and second. First gear basically craps out past 10mph and second does the same after about 25mph. It's also a 13 year old engine so it might have lost some horses along the way.

Thanks for the help

I've owned both high hp 500+ turbo and supercharged cars.

What I found is the supercharged ones have always had very linear power curves but because of that seems somewhat boring.With a supercharger you never really get that sudden rush of acceleration you get with a turbo car. Instead what you get is a very constant pull from start to finish.

To me owning a forced induction car is also about the theatrics that induction provides, while a supercharger whine is one of the best noises a car can make it doesn't make up for the surge of power a turbo car has when the turbos spool up. Also supercharger have alot of parasitic draw so it will always have worse fuel economy than a turbocharger when off of boost.

It really comes down to how you like your power delivery if you want something very constant a supercharger is the only way to go, but if you like the feeling of having low power to suddenly hitting warp speed a turbo would be the best solution.

sounds like something is very broken
like a clogged cat

I honestly think you've provided one of the best explanations so far so I really thank you for that. Based on what you've said I think that constancy of the SC would be more up my alley when it comes to my mustang. I have a slightly older Jetta that's a prime candidate for the turbo tho

Personally I'd go for the centrifugal supercharger, it's not like you're short of low end torque.

>Look guise my le mustang makes 294 ponies :^)
>Nice try tough, at least it makes as much ponies as a malasian turbo engine half the size
>win XD

Lol if I had the money to do both and forged internals to prevent the big kaboom I would. Sadly my budget is gonna be like 7500.

I bet you arnt doing internals because you think its cheaper

The mustang is one of the few cars where this is not true

>heat soak charger

Yeah just stick with a centri theyre more reliable and dont torture your engine with those iats

Nah I'm aware of the costs. Doing a full job of the internals is probly gonna cost as much as the forced induction work

termi swap?

Didn't the terminators come with the 2v sohc?

no, 4v

Oh ok the Dohc.

I guess this guy has never heard of the n54

Procharger. I have one on my Mach. Low 400 to the wheels on modest boost. If you have the 4V, be careful with the boost. Find a tuner that specifically works with the modular engine and get it done. You should be fine on stock internals for awhile.

Bigger brakes.

OP why don't you just buy the On3 brand On3 turbo kit? It's like 2500 + misc shit. I would but I'm waiting for mine to blow so I can get a stroker motor or something. I'm close to 100k and it still runs like a top, but I know if I boost it, it's not going to last very long.

I already have drilled spotted rotors and ceramic pads. Is it still necessary?

id say as long as you have 11" rotors you will be fine

Also OP what exhaust system do you have?

Pic related is my shitbox that I'm working on.

I'm going to finish the outside then put coilovers to finish it off.

Supercharger. No point getting a sudden and drastic boost on a can't-corner machine.

supercharge it if you enjoy good throttle response
turbo if you don't

what shifter are you running?
do the mustangs wake up with cams like a LS motor?

If you're keeping the 4.6 on stock internals let's be honest and say you probably can't afford much. Used turbo market is bigger and cheaper than used SC market. Be careful and get it rebuilt even if they swear it's good.

Also see if you can't run an oil cooler to be safe.

I have bbk headers, a Borla catted X pipe that I'm considering changing to an H, and Borla atak exhaust. I also have an airaid CAI tuned with a Bama tuner. The only reason I haven't gotten a larger throttle body and intake manifold is because of the possibility of a supercharger

why not cams?
make it lopey and add power sounds like a win win

I honestly can't think of where to look for used SCs or turbos. Never tried. Craigslist or something?

Craigslist. The turbo won't be remotely properly matched to your shit but you can find used holsets with low mileage where brodozer owners have swapped them off. Only for poorfag boost life though. Try finding someone with a wrecked car or a project they've abandoned that they already bought the turbo for, and find something appropriately sized. You won't find the exact A/R and turbine/compressor wheel shit you want but we're talking budget here and you're gonna get on the boost anyway and that was your only real goal right?

I have a cam'D 88 lx that's close to 700 HP naturally aspirated. It makes the car a little more tedious to drive in my opinion and with this mustang being my Dd I don't think I want to go to that step yet.

The Hurst. I want to run the Ford racing cams for the sweet idle and top end bump.

Are you gonna get a cat for the H? And what don't you like about the X?

Would this fit? It's literally the same engine but seems to be a kit for a different year.

i just saw a termi blower on corral for sale for 150 so no
other mustang forums are available

There's honestly nothing that I dislike about it. It helps to produce a louder more active sound to my idle. With an h I'd get a deeper more intimidating one that you could actually feel.

that is a screaming deal

Those years are for the 2 valve. What year do you have? Those kits are tailored for the individual body styles.

Should. Since you have more power, you will go faster and I know 2v brakes aren't to good. A guy I know caught his on fire because he tried to slow down from 150mph or something.

ha ha ha
on actual fire, i believe it

Swap the whole car for a camaro

Ls1 trans am here

>4.6 sohc

Kek

yeah at the wheels, I think op meant at the crank.

>cammed 5.slow
>700 na

Kill yourself

Mines a 2010 so it's a 3v. Dang guess it's a no go with that one

>2010 3v
>slower than a 99-02 ls1 fbody

Kinda funny how all the Chevrolet guys keep running their mouths yet all the Ford guys are quiet.
Really shows you who is and isnt insecure over the brand of car they drive

Bought it that way for 5100.

>Ford guys are quiet.

im still seeing atleast 10 ecoboost threads a day. atleast the honda and datsun guys have contaimment threads, these fucking idiots are running rampent

>ford guys
it's just alphonse shitposting

8psi out of a 40mm turbo is way different than an 80mm turbo. stop being one of the mongoloids that think boost pressure is the end all be all of forced induction

5.0 swap first then you decide about supercharger or Turbo.

I have no intention on swapping the engine. But fwiw you're not he first person in this thread to suggest that.

guys my sleeves keep coming out of the block when I put my foot down, This is the secodn block i've had does nebodi know w 2 get good block?

That guy doesn't even own an ecoboost.