Too bad

>decent ground clearance
>looks good
>4x4
>isnt huge modern SUV looking
Too bad its made by jeep...
I saw one in person they other day. Its smaller than you think. Would love to have something small like this for camping.
If only it was made by toyota and had a LO box in it.

>looks good
>handles well
>isnt pigfat
Too bad it has a subaru pancake engine.
If only the engine was made by toyota and had a turbo on it.

I think a great alternative is the lr discovery sport, even though it's quite a bit more expensive

>Too bad its made by jeep...
It's even worse than that, it's a Fiat disguised as a Jeep.

Then there would be no point to it

Right. Its disgusting.
Why cant toyota make the rav4 small again? Does anyone compete with the renegade? Closest i could see is the mazda cx3 or cx5. Which im ok with. But i wouldnt expect them to be rugged.

Land rover needs to get their shit together and make some real competitors that are also available in the US market. That would make everyone step up their game.

costs too much when properly optioned for actual off roading.

Wrangler is even more expensive.

Should i buy an older Rav4 and fix it up for light offroading?

Im talking firetrails not rock crawling

you're preaching to choir brother

fuck, even a toyota i4 with vvt making less power would be preferable over that subaru torque dip pos

Defender Successor baby

That would have been the perfect car for a "3jz" theoretical new I6 Turbo DOHC.
But nah, instead if you want the perfect GT86 or BRZ, it NEEDS a 2j.

Too large for my needs.
30 mpg 4cyl
180hp
LO box
~3000lbs

I've seen this argument so much. There is a point to it. Unless you have the gearing of the Miata to get you to actually move when you try to overpass someone, then why ever put something that slow in a "sports car."

Imo the only car that has the excuse to be slow is the Miata, and even at being slow it does the job better. Subaru royally fucked up with this engine. Nobody at all would be saying "It needs less power" if it had 250 or 300 and a lot more torque.

Why cant 1st gen RAV4s have more power????

That looks... surprisingly good.

Why does a crossover look this good in off-road kit?

They always look better outfitted

Same with the crv
Plus no LO box
Wtf were they thinking???

whats an LO box

Low gear selector.

>tfw I drive a Hilux in my country
Feels good man, they just brought out the "Toyota Fortuner" here and it's just my truck in wagon form.

The fuck is a LO box?

The tacoma in the US is so over priced. The 4 runner is huge and pigfat.
The Rav4 is underpowered, soft, barely awd, and pigfat.
Fuck murrica

>not just buying a '96 cherokee for $700 and spending the $1,000 it'll take in repairs to make it perfectly fine

I was doing the same until I sprung for a lucky Comanche I spotted. Gonna take about twice the money to get right than a cherokee would have but dat comanche tho.

Fucking children these days
>low gear
>HI or LO selection
>high or low selection
>4L
>4LO
>4Low

>too bad its a jeep

The hilux is actually superior than most 'pickups' in the world. In Australia we don't have utes as big as the american ones (some people pay out their ass to import them), so what you would call a compact pickup is the normal dual cab ute people use for work or whatever. The best utes are: hilux for reliability and aftermarket support, aus-designed ford ranger for equipment and looks and technology, Isuzu d-max for cheapness and simplicity, mazda bt-50 is a rebadged ranger etc

America really needs to get proper pickups that aren't over sized and over-specced for mall crawling.

nice soft roader.

What I want to know is, how the fuck did we get to a point where the 1st gen Geo Tracker/Suzuki Sidekick, considered one of the greatest off-roading platforms of the 90s, morphed into this metrosexual agendered blob?

I still have no clue bud

is that new zealand or aus?

Thats the point moron

I fail to see the issue
Only that later ones are chrysler products

augh, another remuera tractor/city dweller with their "4wd" to pick up the kids.

No clue. Does the sidekick/vitara have low/high?

pic related, the "trax" pre Hormone Replacement Therapy

maybe do some research? I hear google is handy.

>needs to be riced

They are trash. And dont fit the criteria.
Also they are trash.
Did i mention they are trash?

>riced
Wut?

Of course my horse. In my personal opinion, the Sidekick and the Jeep Cherokee were the greatest American offroaders of the 90s

Probably still runs
AMC 4.0 stronk

Makes me more interested in the vitara
>mazda v6
Yus

I've highlighted the non necessary areas for a soft roader.

Holy fuck, it's a 2 speed transfer case. No one in the history of ever besides your ass has called it a 'lo box'.

What if you need to cross a creek?
What if you get stuck?
What if you drive off road at night?
What if you need extra fuel for a generator?
What if you drive in the fog?
What if youre in a highly populated wildlife area?
I dont see the issue

Japan hates you, that's why you don't get fun cars, pic related.

>Suzuki Grand Vitara aka. Sidekick
Will post the new "Samurai" afterwards

>2 speed transfer case
>lo box
Which would be more likely to be spoken?

What if you need to cross a creek? Your not crossing something high enough to warrant a snorkel with that.
What if you get stuck? lol soft roader
What if you drive off road at night? you have head lights
What if you need extra fuel for a generator? sure, i dont see one in the back of that biscuit tin of a car.
What if you drive in the fog? lol headlights
What if youre in a highly populated wildlife area? Ill give you that one.

>What if you need to cross a creek?
I would not cross a creek that reached near the windows in that.
>What if you drive off road at night?
Harbor Freight spotlights aren't going to help you with that.
>What if you need extra fuel for a generator?
You can use a regular gas can like a normal person.
>What if you drive in the fog?
See harbor freight comment. Those ARB lights aren't even legal.
>What if youre in a highly populated wildlife area?
Drive slow

Doesn't matter, that shit is fake anyway.

You have zero argument.
And obviously dont like being prepared

Not him, but Low Range is a pretty common term in Australia because Lo Box doesn't really describe much.

Suzuki Jimny Sierra

2 speed transfer case because it's a real term and Lo box is something you made up.

>legal
>off road
Psh.
See

Oh I see, you're retarded.

>implying im the one arguing.
lol k mate.

>i havent heard of it. So it must be made up
Tard

>So much buthurt

How is it knowing us jeep guys go further with less money than yota fags. When's the last time you changed yer head gasket yota boy?

You started the "soft roader" argument.
Which is what it is. But doesnt make accessories any less useful.
If that were true then they arent useful on any vehicle.

it was a statement you autist.

>implying i have a yota
Had one. Sold it.
>implying jeeps arent out-performed by awd tercels

It is made up, no one ever has called it that.

Except everyone i have ever talked to about 4x4s

It's also a completely different size you fucking mong. Disco Sport is comparable to the Grand Cherokee.

You're just making shit up. Show me someone using "lo box" in the wild and I will shut up.

New Mazdas are pretty good looking even stock, of course they're gonna look cool with off-road mods. It's because of that big aggressive front grill.

Kill your self

>Anonymous 07/23/16(Sat)16:34:36 No.15492

This. XJ owner. That fucking truck is so damn reliable. Especially at 295k mi. I'd rather piss glass than buy a Chrysler, but XJs are AMC designed. CSB:

One time we were up in the hills - about 9k feet. We were packing up from camping and my buddy's like "let's take this trail. My phone says it'll be faster."

I look at my map and it's not even on there.

"C'mon, let's do it"
.....ok.

Three hours later we're down the craziest fucking trail I've ever done. Oh by the way, it was closed at the bottom and there was no "trail", indicating it had been closed for many years. Everyone had trouble except the XJ. It just nimbly navigated the hell trail, rivers, waterfalls and fuck huge (like 10ft diameter) rocks. Incredible. I bought one that week. A/C blows cold and it's as fast as any late model on the highway. Why did I wait so long?

Found that road you were talking about.
Good thing you had a jeep
Wew

So you couldn't, cool.

This post has the most delusions ever in a post on Veeky Forums, that's impressive.

Joke's on you, Jeeps are terrible on-road and their owners accept this.

So according to you the 4.0 is a terrible engine? Not gonna argue with you because there's so much proof online it's a waste of my time. Also I live in the Colorado Rockies where Jeeps dominate, so where are you shitposting from.

Found the Eurotrash.

I know you've never driven an "automobile" but certain ones have to attributes people find desirable, like "reliability". When you get a job and then an "automobile" you'll find that repairs are expensive, so "reliability" will be a positive attribute.

>jeep reliable
Hahahahahahaha

>So according to you the 4.0 is a terrible engine?
Where did I say that? The 4.0 isn't a complete turd but it's nowhere near as good as you people think it is.
>Also I live in the Colorado Rockies where Jeeps dominate
I can imagine why, they're like cockroaches. When you can't find a nice example of a superior vehicle, you settle. I nearly did.
>so where are you shitposting from
California, where all the good off road trails are :^).

How about you actually do some research before spewing shit?
A 4.0 equipped jeep will run longer than your toyota headgasketmachine will run at all.

I bet you're one of those people who think 200k miles is a lot.

>Jeepfag has only ever heard of the VZ
Not surprised.

>The 4.0 isn't a complet turd, but....
There's a lot of reasons to not like the 4.0, and yet you're devoid of answers. Almost like you know nothing about them.

>I can imagine..
So you've never been in actual mountains. Shocking.

>California
Dude.... you should have post literally anything other than that. I mean, anything. The highest you could have been, other than smoking, is the Baja I and I highly fucking doubt you were off-roading ever.

Not trying to get everyone to buy Jeeps, that would only drive up the cost of my next one, that is, until people realize the Chryslers are shit. In fact, I DD a Nissan. But when you're in the hills and have literally no support, you're gonna want a 4.0.

Fucking lol. Not him, but I have no response to this outrageousness. Let me make their point again: HEADGASKET MACHINE.

There's a reason we don't see a lot of 'yotas outside the 22 up here.

What's it like to be so dumb?

Is it because you live in the boonies and yokels couldn't afford them?

>tfw used to drive 2WD 4.0l AMC powered jeep Comanche

jeeps are shit but the engine is god like

shit was fast as fuck. i used to redline it all day tfw straight piped 4.0l STRAIGHT SIX

THE SOUND OF THE GODS

Good comeback. I'm speechless.

>the boonies. In Colorado.

OK. Just do me a favor and don't move here like the rest of your literal cock sucking state.

Fortuner is based of the hilux, it's not some transverse soft roader.

Nope. They are already in the luxury tier. So no coming back to reliable-offroaders anymore.

Oh man, I love Fortuners.

>torque dip meme again
headers and a tune completely fixes it

It's literally longer and wider than a 2dr Wrangler, without the benefit of true 4WD and a large aftermarket. I don't know why people keep saying these cars are "small" compared to vehicles that are objectively smaller in physical dimensions.

Or maybe you could just call it what it is, a transfer case with low gears you stupid fucking autists with made-up terms

>>decent ground clearance

It can't drive over crushed can how low it is. Totally useless for anything but gravel roads.

>jeep guys go further with less money than yota fags

Everything is made out of stamped steel so obviously it'll be cheaper.

Just compare front arms on lancruiser and cherokee. You get what you pay for.

>all vehicles of a specific marque are trash
>nevermind the variations in quality and reliability just within model year

I've never seen a less rationalized and knee-jerk opinion on Veeky Forums reposted this many times. At least when people joke about Miatas being for fags they tend to rationalize why this is.

expensive as fuck, saw one optioned at 37k (maplebux) when there was a Patriot right next to it for 22. Go to a lower trim level and the Patriot just blows it away.

Of course I didn't buy the Patriot because Just Empty Every Pocket.

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Veeky Forums

This person just hates brands irrationally and finds it incomprehensible that brands they dislike sell; in his mind, they only sell because there are millions of idiots who are willing to buy cars that look cool, even though they will all inexplicably shit out within months of purchase.

i just got approved for 28k car loan ona used tacoma I was going to buy. Thinking about getting the italian jeep instead. the 75th edition w/ cold weather package is 1k less than the yota, brand new and I have a local dealer. What could go wrong?

Don't buy a Jeep ever! Get something like yeah Tacoma as you told or XTerra or uhm like Forester.

I've never had a new car, I used to have a Comanche pickup and it was okay although agricultural and my dad still has an old 124 spyder. I think it should last a while, shit my gf's pos 02 kia rio has 180k on it and is still kicking. I can afford it and my mortgage easily with my new promotion. and I was offered 3k trade for my current volvo which I may just keep as a secondary. I'd just drive it but my house is on a steep hill and we got freezing rain last year which required me to put tire chains on everyday. pita

new its this or an impeza sport and I dont care for the subie as much and no local dealer

>straight piped 4.0l STRAIGHT SIX
I know this feeling

That Jeep is nothing like your Comanche. You'll be very disappointed. Just get a small truck.